PDA

View Full Version : NY-FLA Part II

BBQchef33
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Back on the road again. This time me and my son.

No schedule, no reservations. A duffle bag, 2 pillows an air mattress and a cooler and our fishing gear.

Heading out in a few hours to get on US-1 and head south. Gonna find a lake in the blue ridge mountains somewhere, a small burger joint on the side of the road and a 5-6 day adventure with just me and him. No idea where we are going and where we will be.. Only destination is stopping on the way back to pick up the trailer. Hope to make it down to orlando again, or at least daytona.

:mrgreen: :wink: Staying wired though. Set up my PDA so its a 500KB modem that hooks up to the laptop. That way, no more crap like the last time.. :oops: :twisted: when me and the mods werent around. (yess mommy).

Have the nav system in the car and a redundant backup GPS system in the laptop, and also hooked up the Xbox to the back seat screens. That way James is occupied on the long stretches.

and we are OFF!!!!

Bigdog
04-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Awesome. Have a great time you magnificent farker.:wink:

Oldbob
04-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Sounds Like a Fantastic Trip Phil !!!I sure Hope the trailer is Right this time:biggrin: or I am sure there will be Hell to Pay:twisted: Have a Great trip Phil.

Smokin Gator
04-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Phil,

Fernandina Beach is just off of I-95 just across the border from Georgia. If you are going to Daytona I expect you to stop for a meal maybe a little fishing here as well.

nmayeux
04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Phil
We are wishing you the best of luck, and my parents would welcome seeing you again. Sorry the timing is so bad, as I would much rather be there than in Chicago! Speaking of Chicago, I guess I should post a thread about our trip.

brdbbq
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Took Hwy 1 from Daytona to Titusville Saturday, Nice farking drive. Now I want a Harley.

Sawdustguy
04-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Good luck Phil and James! I hope you both enjoy yourselves and come back with a great trailer to boot!

jt
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Off they go, into the wild blue yonder...

Have a good trip Poo!

BBQchef33
04-03-2007, 02:25 PM
i already contacted gator..

any bros wanna hook up.. my route is OPEN!!!! PM jorge, willkat98, or any moderator for my cell phone number. Detours are about our only plan!

brdbbq
04-03-2007, 03:03 PM
You do realize that fresh fish does not come in Cryo-Vac Right ? :twisted:

Westexbbq
04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Happy trails, relax a bit and enjoy.
Good luck with the trailer this time.

Kirk
04-03-2007, 08:08 PM
..also hooked up the Xbox to the back seat screens. That way James is occupied on the long stretches...
Better make sure there's nothing back there that'll burn, I've seen him keeping himself occupied. :wink: :-D :-D
Seriously though, I hope you guys have a great time. Good luck with the whole thing.

Sledneck
04-04-2007, 02:05 AM
After seeing all of those electronics hooked up before you left this afternoon i would say you look a bit suspicious! Homeland security is tailing you

timzcardz
04-04-2007, 03:07 AM
Have a safe expedition Poobah.

Electronics in the vehicle are great. My boys played Game Cube and watched movies the whole way down to Florida, and will be doing the wame on the way back Saturday. The other great thing is headphones for them ... then I get to listen to music without battling them.

Sledneck
04-04-2007, 03:22 AM
whatever happened to singing the bottled beer song? getting truckkers to blow the horns? staring contests? i am not a big fan of this zombie nation that is going on with these kids today with all of the electronics. Oh it keeps them occupied and quiet right? Zombie nation

BBQchef33
04-04-2007, 03:33 AM
james used the GPS on the laptop to navigate the entire way. Found us a couple rivers and lakes in southmost virginia on the North carolina border to do some fishing, then found a super 8 nearby by doing a 'radar search' on the laptop. Right near the rivers we'll be hitting in the AM... hotel cleark said the basspros fish these lakes all the time.. hotel parking lot is loaded with bassboats.... looks like we hit paydirt.

im wired on coffee.. gonna try to get some sleep.. :)

any brethren near south hil, VA? we will be here in till mid day, then hitting cry/chapel hill area in NC before heading to fla to see the gator.. :)

Sledneck
04-04-2007, 03:35 AM
how is the fuzzybuster thing working?

Cue's Your Daddy
04-04-2007, 06:33 AM
Better make sure there's nothing back there that'll burn, I've seen him keeping himself occupied. :wink: :-D :-D
Seriously though, I hope you guys have a great time. Good luck with the whole thing.

that's funny, i have never seen that much ash in the bottom of a WSM.

backyardchef
04-04-2007, 07:04 AM
whatever happened to singing the bottled beer song? getting truckkers to blow the horns? staring contests? i am not a big fan of this zombie nation that is going on with these kids today with all of the electronics. Oh it keeps them occupied and quiet right? Zombie nation

I spy a bitter old man! :twisted:

Safe travels to the Pooh family....

timzcardz
04-04-2007, 09:42 AM

Zombie nation, my butt. I am doing my patriotic part to train the armed forces of the future, where everything will be done remotely with joysticks.

And I don't think that 99 Bottles of Beer is politically correct any longer! :wink:

But maybe you're right. Next thing you know they'll being cooking BBQ with gassers!

And isn't using GPS verbotten? Isn't it the modern day version of stopping to ask for directions, which is every man knows is a big no-no?

brdbbq
04-04-2007, 09:55 AM
the armed forces of the future, where everything will be done remotely with joystick

After what I saw last week there is a hell of a lot of truth in this

BBQchef33
04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
fuzzybuster didnt find much. we made it to NC border in 10 hours with stops.

The GPS was a "find a spot in NC and get us there".. he was pretending to navigate the Starship Cadillac. :wink:

must woke up and discoverd a lake right behind the hotel. !!!

Arlin_MacRae
04-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Sweet! Enjoy your trip, boss. Talk about some memories... :)

Jorge
04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
I'll PM the url for the place we talked about yesterday. Give me a call when you are getting close and I'll see what I can do about arranging a special tour guide.

Bill-Chicago
04-04-2007, 12:17 PM
This might explain why you're not picking up the phone.

Have a good time

Mooner
04-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Have fun Phil, drive safe. make sure the very first thing you do when you get back is post pics of the new trailer!! Lucky farker :evil:

Muzzlebrake
04-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Better make sure there's nothing back there that'll burn, I've seen him keeping himself occupied.

that reminds me.... I would like to thank Phil for bringing up the next generation of pyros

that out of the way, I want to know the details of your navigation system send them to me would you please? I am looking to set up a mobile laptop system in my truck

Jorge
04-04-2007, 03:07 PM
that reminds me.... I would like to thank Phil for bringing up the next generation of pyros

that out of the way, I want to know the details of your navigation system send them to me would you please? I am looking to set up a mobile laptop system in my truck

DIY MLRS?

chad
04-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Have a great trip...though, I noticecd that a cold front is following you down this way!!

Cold being a relative term here on the west coast of Florida!!

BBQ_MAFIA
04-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Have a great trip and don't forget the pics.
Can't wait to see the new trailer.

Arlin_MacRae
04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
DIY MLRS?

A tow-behind system for those long trips?

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Turquie/exhibition/IDEF_2005/pictures/MLRS_107MM_IDEF_2005_ArmyRecognition_01.JPG

Muzzlebrake
04-04-2007, 06:49 PM
DIY MLRS?

:twisted: heheheheheheheheh:twisted:

Battery stand by..............

Mrs. Mafia
04-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Have a good time!

Trout_man22
04-05-2007, 06:05 AM
Talked to Phil yesterday, called him a big jerk. Passed by my shop by less then a mile and didn't bother to stop. We even have a pond full of bluegill (got 40 last weekend.)

Hope to hook up with him and James on the return trip.

BBQchef33
04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
ok..we hit two lakes and a roadside river in north carolina ands drove around chapel hill/cary area looking at the real estate. then flipped a coin as to what to do.. wound up going for a run thru South of the border in NC/SC where james fell in love at a fireworks factory.

Went on a quest looking for a steakhouse.. asked someone where the best steaks were and they said...............WAFFLE HOUSE. :eek: :eek: uh.. yeah..... ok... We continued down 95 following a sign to 'great steaks' which turned out to be closed.. fark.... we were starving and tired and just landed in cracker barrel... I dont know why I do that, i havent had a decent meal in cracker barrel yet. :mad: everything was either cold or crap... or maybe it was just cold crap. :wink:

anyway... told james to plot a couse to the water near the SC/GA border..he found this little place called Savanah. :rolleyes: thats where we are today, just off 95. Plan was to head to a charter boat, but its way to late,w e needed the sleep.. so its just down to the piers to fish off there. Later today we go check out the trailer about an hour away and then head down to florida. Im being stupid and not taking lots of pics.. but most of the time we're in a car which makes for boring shots. :redface:

brdbbq
04-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Get a copy of Rosetta Stone's learning english.

www.rosettastone.com/

Yakfishingfool
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
head boats usually leave at 7am...need to get there at 530 to get the stern.

Sawdustguy
04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
I hope the trailer is as you like it this time.

Jorge
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Stop by Moe's for a decent burrito while you are there.

7801 Abercorn Street

Or for pretty good Mexican food try Jalapeno's Mexican Restaurant

8840 Abercorn Street

Both places are in the historic district. Avoid River St. after the sun goes down.

Bill-Chicago
04-05-2007, 12:59 PM
You down there for a trailer, eh.

I can hook you up with a brand spanking new 52 footer right there in Savannh.

We got a nice plant down there, sell a trailer or two a year, and we even put a nice picture of a rather large breed of dog on the back.

I can get it for you at cost (no chit)

Wish I woulda known your down there, there are some lurker brethren from some of our plants down in those neck of the woods, but sounds like Jorge has a few leads on some local eats.

Good luck!

Jorge
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
You down there for a trailer, eh.

I can hook you up with a brand spanking new 52 footer right there in Savannh.

We got a nice plant down there, sell a trailer or two a year, and we even put a nice picture of a rather large breed of dog on the back.

I can get it for you at cost (no chit)

Wish I woulda known your down there, there are some lurker brethren from some of our plants down in those neck of the woods, but sounds like Jorge has a few leads on some local eats.

Good luck!

I don't think I was known to be sober for any length of time when I got into Savannah. I still have a residual hangover from St. Patrick's day over ten years ago! It's a great city that I'd encourage everybody to visit if they have the opportunity though.

Bill-Chicago
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
And one more thing Phil.

I went to a Waffle House in Aiken SC and asked for scrambled eggs.

Plate came back loaded with eggs and melted cheese folded into it.

I said "what the hell is this, a heart attack special?"

Looked around the room, did a quick ratio of peoples weight to waistline, all looking at me, and said "Damn, you folks eat good!", so she slaps 4 slices of bacon on it.

Holy chit if I nearly died at the coroners office (yes, I really was at the coroner, nother thread for another time)

So be careful Phil, some of them Southern folks really know how to fark with your heart!

parrothead
04-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Get a copy of Rosetta Stone's learning english.

www.rosettastone.com/

Funnier than chit. I was trying to decipher as well.

chad
04-05-2007, 03:36 PM
And one more thing Phil.

I went to a Waffle House in Aiken SC and asked for scrambled eggs.

Plate came back loaded with eggs and melted cheese folded into it.

I said "what the hell is this, a heart attack special?"

Looked around the room, did a quick ratio of peoples weight to waistline, all looking at me, and said "Damn, you folks eat good!", so she slaps 4 slices of bacon on it.

Holy chit if I nearly died at the coroners office (yes, I really was at the coroner, nother thread for another time)

So be careful Phil, some of them Southern folks really know how to fark with your heart!

This post from a guy that regularly puts up pictures of strokes waiting to happen...on a plate??:mrgreen:

Phil, if you go thru Jax (and you will) check out Harry's for some pretty decent cajun food...I think they have two locations in Jax (home of the small franchise).

Continue to have a safe trip!

The_Kapn
04-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Jorge has pretty well covered Savannah, at least since you are traveling with a minor. :grin:
Otherwize, River Street is a ........uh- nevermind :oops:
Great town!

Have fun and find some good food.
Hate to see you waist (sic) away.

TIM

Jorge
04-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Jorge has pretty well covered Savannah, at least since you are traveling with a minor. :grin:
Otherwize, River Street is a ........uh- nevermind :oops:
Great town!

Have fun and find some good food.
Hate to see you waist (sic) away.

TIM

Remind me next year and I'll hook you up for the parade, if you don't already have contacts down there.

I did mention to Phil that he probably didn't want to go to River Street with his son after the son went down!:shock:

pigmaker23
04-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Ahoy There Grand Po Bah, When traveling on 95 in Georgia, There is a place called Jacks BBQ it is either at Exit 14 or Exit 7 next to a truck stop, real bbq cooked in old LP tank offsets, lots of cats running around, I used to think it was the bbq that all others were judged from, in retrospect its probably isnt that good but it was decent, worth a stop, its 1 minute off the exit on the right going south , have a great time

pignmaker 23

The_Kapn
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Remind me next year and I'll hook you up for the parade, if you don't already have contacts down there.

I did mention to Phil that he probably didn't want to go to River Street with his son after the son went down!:shock:

I guess this is kinda a HiJack, but Pooh is used to, and loves, it.

I think you and I need to pick a date (when "significant others" are occupied) and just "do" Savannah :lol:
I can see many "cultural", "historical", and "current events" activities to keep us productively occupied for a long...long...weekend :oops:

I was there TDY for 4 weeks in 1968 for Cobra (AH-1G) Qual course--lived on the beach when it was "The Beach". Whow boy!!!!!
Back again for Cobra Instructor Course in 1970 or so for 6 more weeks enroute back to RVN.
Actually managed to graduate from each course, retain my security clearance, and stay out of jail! :redface:
Back several more times TDY in the '80's and '90s for inspection and assistance trips.

"Charming" town and area!

Sorry...Flashback Mod :redface:

Thread control given back to Pooh now.

TIM

Muzzlebrake
04-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't think I was known to be sober for any length of time when I got into Savannah. I still have a residual hangover from St. Patrick's day over ten years ago! It's a great city that I'd encourage everybody to visit if they have the opportunity though.

I can neither confirm nor deny ever being asked to leave by the very gracious and polite local police dury a St Paddy's day celebration....:icon_shy

I guess this is kinda a HiJack, but Pooh is used to, and loves, it.

I think you and I need to pick a date (when "significant others" are occupied) and just "do" Savannah :lol:
I can see many "cultural", "historical", and "current events" activities to keep us productively occupied for a long...long...weekend :oops:

I am in!
that date should be 17MAR.

Smokin Gator
04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Fishin with the Poobs and James tomorrow... If the fish aren't biting I may hook him up and throw him in. Could be a good fight...

Smokin Gator
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Ahoy There Grand Po Bah, When traveling on 95 in Georgia, There is a place called Jacks BBQ it is either at Exit 14 or Exit 7 next to a truck stop, real bbq cooked in old LP tank offsets, lots of cats running around, I used to think it was the bbq that all others were judged from, in retrospect its probably isnt that good but it was decent, worth a stop, its 1 minute off the exit on the right going south , have a great time

pignmaker 23

At exit 28 (or it may be 29... it is the Jekyll Island exit anyway) there is a place just off the exit called the Georgia Pig. It is the real deal. Very good Brunswick Stew even if it is not made with squirrel(sp).

brdbbq
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Fishin with the Poobs and James tomorrow... If the fish aren't biting I may hook him up and throw him in. Could be a good fight...

Phil will try to break the Alligator's finger. This comes from a post a looonnngggg time ago.

BBQchef33
04-05-2007, 11:33 PM
helllllloooooo Ladies....

made it to Savanah.. drove around for an hour looking for a parking spot.

had lunch at a waterfront bar... cold air, bad food, nothing impressive. Walked around savanah till james and I got bored and both realized we are not historians. were more intrigued by the horses pulling the carraiges. Seems to be a town of antique shops. We did enhjoy going from park to park reading the war stories. Anyhoo.. headed to the trailer lot at 3pm, got there by 4, trailer was WRONG again!!!!

ok relax.. they forgot the additional air conditioning vent in the roof. Mr Trailer Guy said bring it home, get it to a trailer shop, have them call him and he wil give them a credit card to charge the installation to him. he also threw in some cheesy chrome hubcabs and more E-track. Trailer looks good otherwise.

We left Mr trailer and wnet to jekyls island and fished off the pier for a few hours. Fish dont like me, the chew the chit out of the bait, but ignore the hook. No wonder I hate seafood.

Left GA and we are now in Jacksonville. Just had a nice porterhouse at longhorns9thanks Gator)... James devoured a 16oz ribeye. tomorrow its fishin with gator at (I think) Amelia isand?

thinking of heading home late saturday/early sunday after a stint in daytona, or maybe skip daytona and try to get out saturday morning. Going with whatever side the coin flips.

Bill-Chicago
04-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Sounds great Phil. Drive safely.

Gator, is the Longhorns you went to a chain (look of Timberwoods inside kinda)?

We loved our LongHorns steak house here, but over priced the market within walking distance of both Outback and that other mass produced chain I can't think of because I detest it.

Smokin Gator
04-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Sounds great Phil. Drive safely.

Gator, is the Longhorns you went to a chain (look of Timberwoods inside kinda)?

We loved our LongHorns steak house here, but over priced the market within walking distance of both Outback and that other mass produced chain I can't think of because I detest it.

That would be the one. The Poobah's vacation schedule has him eating at like 10 PM. When he called he was really close to that one. Not a bad steak for the price... I'm glad he like it.

SmokeInDaEye
04-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Sounds like you two are having a great trip. Are you pulling the trailer now?

Bill-Chicago
04-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Did he ever get home?

SmokeInDaEye
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Did he ever get home?

Last I heard, they had stopped to raft the Cahulawassee River.

Dueling banjos mod.

BBQchef33
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Sorry for going M.I.A guys.. last few days got pretty filled up, but we got home around 1am last night.

heres a rundown of Fri-sat-Sun...

Went to jacksonville Thursday night and met up with Smoking Gator on Friday. We fished out on amelia Island pier and watched all the fish WATCHING us and laughing at us.. "theres those NY guys.. dont go near the bait. "

as usual, caught nothin but a sunburned bald head. Had dinner at one of Gators places, met Mrs. Gator, had a great meal and great company.. I think Mrs Gator thinks we are all nuts.. I was gonna show her pics, but that woud have removed any doubt. Thanks Gator for treating us to dinner!!!

headed out friday night back to Georgia, go a hotel near the trailer dealer and then went to Saint Simon Island for breakfast. After looking for a parking spot for 45 minutes, we left and found a little dive place on the way back for coffee and pancakes. Got to the trailer place and saw they farked up some other stuff.. Little things like crappy chaulking jobs.. I checked out the other trailers and they were not like that.. It looked like it was a rush job.. which I know it wa.. but at this point its nothing i cant live with, or fix myself.

Stopped in Hilton Head, SC ont he way back, did some sight seeing, looked for a place to drop a line, but they are pretty strict there with where to fish, and the rangers were all over. i couldnt drive the truck down tot he shore without a permit, and they check for fishing permits too. Anyplace to get a dayt permit was closed and my NC permit wouldnt do it(so the cop says). So just crabbed some crabs from a waterfront pub and enjoyed sunset... headed back north and made it to just south of fayetteville before turning into a days inn..

heres wahat became apparrant after driving a 2300lb, 8 1/2 x 16 foot v- nose car hauler.

1 - It is the equilivant of pulling a 30 foot Parasail behind you..........floating 50 gallon drums of cement.

II - 345 horses mean chit without a 4:10 or lower rear-end.

C - Tandem axels rule, radial tires rule more.

4 - 1900 RPMs in overdrive is NOT always 70MPH. Sometimes it is 45 when you are pulling a parasail uphill.

V. 16MPG is unattainable when pulling said parasail. 8MPG is easy, 6 is the norm. 14 is possible if you get REAL CLOSE to the ass end of an 18 wheeler, proving drafting is NOT only for NASCAR.

F. North Carolina an South Carolina must be all hills becase RPM and gass mileage improves greatly in Jersey and NY.

VI. You CANNOT get a medium-rare hamburger in South carolina, no matter how much u argue.. they will however send over the manager if you insist, who also will NOT give you a medium-rare hamburger.

7. Once crossing into New Jersey and then New York, drivers around you become the anti-christ. 6 foot wide cars are inserted thru 5 foot wide gaps, at speeds unattainable puling said trailer.

Z. Brooklyn NY, specifically the brooklyn-queens expressway is a road straight thru hell when pulling a trailer. The lanes are 8 foot wide unmarked and the trailer is 8.5 feet wide. The cars DO NOT give a chit that you dont fit. Concrete barriers on both sides of you, no lines in the road and potholes that will swallow up both truck AND trailer. The old trailer used to bounce off the barrriers side to side.. the new one, you can hardly tell was back there. I did however start clenching my teeth on the verrazano bridge and i think they finally unclinched at the nassau/queens border.

Camera cable is buried in the locker room(a.k.a back seat of the Escalade).. i will post pics when we throw out the case of empty water bottles, Krystal wrappers, and cracker barrel containers and I find the camera cable, camera, and maybe jimmy hoffa.

Westexbbq
04-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Welcome back; another saga in the annals of the Brethren!

Smokin Gator
04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Lol Poobs... great rundown on the trip back.

Thanks for the thanks but none needed. We thoroughly enjoyed your visit and meeting you and James. He is a fine young man.

Looks like that new 3/4 ton diesel we talked about might be in your future!!!

Sawdustguy
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
1 - It is the equilivant of pulling a 30 foot Parasail behind you..........floating 50 gallon drums of cement.

2 - 345 horses mean chit without a 4:10 or lower rear-end.

3 - Tandem axels rule, radial tires rule more.

4 - 1900 RPMs in overdrive is NOT always 70MPH. Sometimes it is 45 when you are pulling a parasail uphill.

I can tell you from experience that Poobah is spot on in his observations. The BQE could quite possibly be the Worlds Worse Road.

Bigdog
04-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Camera cable is buried in the locker room(a.k.a back seat of the Escalade).. i will post pics when we throw out the case of empty water bottles, Krystal wrappers, and cracker barrel containers and I find the camera cable, camera, and maybe jimmy hoffa.

So that's where he is.:mrgreen:
But seriously, were any animals harmed in the making of this trip?:confused: :lol:

Mrs. Mafia
04-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a good time....looking forward to the pics!
Chrissy

Arlin_MacRae
04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Your numbering system... Is that a result of one too many potholes??

1 -

II -

C -

4 -

V.

F.

VI.

Z.

:biggrin:
Glad you made it back from Pooh's Big Adventure!!!

BBQ_MAFIA
04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Where are the pics?