PDA

View Full Version : 10X20 carport for comps?

rookiedad
04-02-2007, 08:34 AM
they gpt a 10X20 carport at costco for 169.00 that i was thinling of getting for comps. its got rolldown sides and a vented roof and seems nice. any comments as to size or anything else, or suggestions of something better? thanks.

phil

Lakeside Smoker
04-02-2007, 08:41 AM
I see alot of those at comps. here in New England. People who have them love them. It looks like they might be a bit harder to set up and take down than an ez-up.

Plowboy
04-02-2007, 08:45 AM
We've been using a Costco car port for 6 years. Its weathered a few storms, too. It takes more time to put up than an EZ Up. Never owned one, so I don't know if they last as long or can take the same amount of abuse.

willkat98
04-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Just make sure it has the fireproof sticker dealie

Bigmista
04-02-2007, 09:17 AM
I almost bought one too but considered how hard it might be to put up at a comp.

Plowboy
04-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I almost bought one too but considered how hard it might be to put up at a comp.
It's a two person process for sure.

ique
04-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I bought one last season. And while its nice once its setup, it adds at least an hour to site set-up/break-down. And you need two people. It also doesn't pack up compactly the way EZ-ups do.

My plan is to use my 2 ez-ups and only bring out the carport if there is significant rain expected.

G$
04-02-2007, 09:36 AM
We lost one EZ-Up (brand) at Rio Rancho this weekend. Strongly considering the steel tube carport.

BBQchef33
04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
i have been using that carport for 3 years. It has kept us dry at many an event. The easy-ups sag, saturate and then leak in any significant rain where these things are waterPROOF. Once you know the deal, they can go up in about 15 minuters and knock down in about the same. My 12 yo son is in charge of the canopy and he can do it alone until its time to lift the roof. Then ya ask 2 people to lift the corners of one side, and he puts in the legs, do it for the other side and he takes over alone again. IMHO, its worth the extra time. Downside is storage of all the pipes and canvas takes up room.

butt head
04-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I just bought one from pep boys for$100.

G$
04-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I just bought one from pep boys for$100.

How does the quality on the PepBoys/AutoZone ones compare to the CostCo ones?

swamprb
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Are there some comps where the size of the site is regulated? I recall seeing one comp where you were only allowed 1 10x10 canopy, seems kind of tight to me. I'm looking for an EZ-Up or Caravan but have a Costco ragtop I could use until then?

butt head
04-02-2007, 10:22 AM
the one i got at pep boys did not have the full sides included. they are $30 more. but the canvas is the same as the others as far as thickness. swamprb, so far all the comps i've done have had 20 +20 spaces.

Q Haven
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
The dream....EZ Up makes a 10x20 pop up that is awesome. They have one at the club I work at. Unfortunately, they cost around a grand....

djmarko
04-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I looked on Costco's web site for the 10x20 but can't seem to find it. Do you just have to go the store to get it?

Mooner
04-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I see alot of those at comps. here in New England. People who have them love them. It looks like they might be a bit harder to set up and take down than an ez-up.

I almost got one of these also but decided to go with a 10x15 EZ UP. The Costco one is very nice but I have seen guys put them up and it takes at least 2 probably 3 would be better. Sometimes I setup by myslef so it was too difficult for me. I hate work...:grin:

Sawdustguy
04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
There were some times last season when I wish I had that sort of canopy instead of the EZ-UP. We were worried a few times about loosing one of the EZ-UP's to the wind last year.

Q Haven
04-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I looked on Costco's web site for the 10x20 but can't seem to find it. Do you just have to go the store to get it?

I have no idea where to get them. The club I work at got theirs through Globe or some other restaurant equipment company. Here is the product from the Ez-Up web site....

http://www.ezupdirect.com/ezup-instant-shelters/eclipse2.php

rookiedad
04-02-2007, 12:53 PM

they got one hanging up in the costco on sunrise highway in holbrook. thanks all for the input.

phil

MoKanMeathead
04-02-2007, 03:16 PM
We lost 2 Ez-ups at the same contest a couple of years ago. Now we use the 10x20 hercules. Takes a little longer to set up and take down but well worth the extra effort. We got two hercules bags to put the poles and canvas in and it works fairly well. The hercules was half the price of replacing 2 EZ-UPs.

I have put together the hercules myself - and just needed help to lift the sides to put the side poles in - there is always someone willing to help.

HoDeDo
04-02-2007, 04:37 PM
We went the other direction - we had two big Hurcules (one was for parts), and after bending poles that fall out of trucks - losing fastners for the top... etc, etc. we opted to go the EZ-UP route. We have lost one of those in a storm - but we have lost the big Hurcules also. Bobby actually had 3 of those on his lot, and a large storm last fall killed all three of them.

They are all good.. Just strap down what you got! :o)

MoKanMeathead
04-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I agree ya need to tei them down. Actually our EZ-UPs were tied down. They didn't get blown away they were flattened in place. It wouldn't have helped even if someone had been there holding then down. I do believe the the hercules are MUCH stronger than an EZ-UP.

tjus77
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
i have been using that carport for 3 years. It has kept us dry at many an event. The easy-ups sag, saturate and then leak in any significant rain where these things are waterPROOF. Once you know the deal, they can go up in about 15 minuters and knock down in about the same. My 12 yo son is in charge of the canopy and he can do it alone until its time to lift the roof. Then ya ask 2 people to lift the corners of one side, and he puts in the legs, do it for the other side and he takes over alone again. IMHO, its worth the extra time. Downside is storage of all the pipes and canvas takes up room.

speaking of storage, how do you store it. I let my idiot BIL borrow mine and he destroyed the box, not that there was much left to it. We do kind of a control lunge from the storage pod we keep it in, to a pickup truck. Also wrap a strong strap around the poles (in two sections legs on one, frame in the other). Just want to know if that is the best way.

tj

Jeff_in_KC
04-02-2007, 07:10 PM
I have the 10x20 carport Hercules knock off and have put it up completely by myself... legs and all. It's a beeyotch to be sure! I thought about two EZ Ups for this year but just couldn't pull the trigger on them. It does take me close to 45 minutes to an hour by myself for this thing. But only once did I ever feel like i was about to lose it in wind. It holds up awesome with 2 inch poles.

HoDeDo
04-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I believe the sun is what causes the tops to eventually leak - UV kills them. Some of the new ones are coated to protect them longer... The new EZ-UP tops are also 600+ Denier tops - so nice and thick.

I do agree with Wayne however... the Hurcules are much stronger. Got a better shot with them UP in bad storm... but it's much easier to lower the legs and batten down the EZ-UPs though. We usually drop them to the ground if it is gonna get really nasty, and move the tables into the back of the toy hauler.

MoKanMeathead
04-03-2007, 09:40 AM
speaking of storage, how do you store it. I let my idiot BIL borrow mine and he destroyed the box, not that there was much left to it. We do kind of a control lunge from the storage pod we keep it in, to a pickup truck. Also wrap a strong strap around the poles (in two sections legs on one, frame in the other). Just want to know if that is the best way.

tj

tj - I ordered two storage bags from the hecules web site. they are pretty cheap....but they are pretty cheap. They have lasted 1 - 1/2 years but are about ready to be replaced.

Jorge
04-03-2007, 10:07 AM

tj

Figure out how big your bundles are for everything and have bags made out of marine canvas. One bag for the poles, one for the tarps and elastic bands. Find a place that sells sailboats and they should be able to hook you up with someone that can do the sewing. If you have any skydiving contacts down there you might ask around to see if they know a retired military rigger that does any sewing as well.

swamprb
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
A couple years ago my 10'x20' blew over a 4' chain link fence and into my neighbors yard about 40' from where it was. Only damage was a 3" tear in the sidewall, I lucked out!

Neal
04-04-2007, 01:25 AM
We have a carport as well that I bought from Cummins Tools. It holds up really well in the wind & rain but putting it up takes SO long. And breaking down is just as bad. If you have the means, I highly reccomend cutting the legs in half. My dad is metal fabricator and flanged out the top half of the legs to slide over the bottom half. It makes it easier to set the whole thing up when you don't have to mess with those 7 foot tall legs...not faster - bet easier for sure.
http://www.thedunkers.com/DodgeCountySmokers/Pages/Picture%20Pages/Fremont%20Pictures/Fremont12.jpg

WineMaster
04-04-2007, 04:53 AM
We usem at our block parties. They hold up quite well in windy storm.

DeanC
04-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Figure out how big your bundles are for everything and have bags made out of marine canvas. One bag for the poles, one for the tarps and elastic bands. Find a place that sells sailboats and they should be able to hook you up with someone that can do the sewing. If you have any skydiving contacts down there you might ask around to see if they know a retired military rigger that does any sewing as well.

This is what I did, or I should say my mother did. She saw the mess lying in my garage and made a large bag for the tent out of heavy canvas. It has held together very well.