PDA

View Full Version : Got KCBS Certified today....

Puppyboy
03-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Went to KCBS Judge Class today. I thought I was hooked on the Q but these guys were really passionate about it. I loved the class and learned a lot. I can not wait to judge a contest. After getting a little inside info, I am feeling better about cooking in my first comp in two weeks.

The_Kapn
03-31-2007, 08:36 PM
You are on the right track!

The class is good, but actually judging is a whole lot more informative.
Try to judge and watch/listening to all the other judges at your table.

We try to mix cooking and judging all year long to learn.

Congratulations!!!!!

TIM

MrsBigBarry
03-31-2007, 08:52 PM
Congrats to you.

Meat Burner
03-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Good for you!!!!!

outside ed
03-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Congratulations and good luck on your endeavors. Ed.

thunter
04-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Congratulations!! I will be joining the CBJ ranks in May. I can't wait!

Bentley
04-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Welcome to the club.

ModelMaker
04-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the ranks. I've been linin up gigs for the last couple weeks.
Looking at doing BBQlossal,IA State Champs, BBQloo, Up In Smoke and a few others.
ModelMaker

Bentley
04-01-2007, 07:50 PM
Went to KCBS Judge Class today. I thought I was hooked on the Q but these guys were really passionate about it. I loved the class and learned a lot. I can not wait to judge a contest. After getting a little inside info, I am feeling better about cooking in my first comp in two weeks.

I would be curious to know what number they are at, if you don't mind would you post an idea of where they are at? Wonder how many CBJ's are still alive?

Puppyboy
04-01-2007, 10:12 PM
We were told we would receive our numbers in a few weeks with our name tags. As soon as I get it, I will adjust my signature below.

Sawdustguy
04-02-2007, 12:12 PM

Congrats! You did the right thing becoming a certified judge! It is one of the best things a competitive cooker can do to help themselves.

biffleg
04-02-2007, 12:27 PM
This is something I've been thinking about attending. I've looked up the closest classes ... but don't see anything mentioning $$$. Is there a fee to attend the Judging Classes?

<Rant begin> And what's up with no North Carolina classes? <End rant>

Smokin Gator
04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Congrats... I was supposed to get mine this past weekend but my son's soccer team was in the state championships. I have rescheduled for April 20 in Macclenny. I'm looking forward to it.

Oldbob
04-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Well deserved Congratulations Puppy !!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Puppyboy
04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
This is something I've been thinking about attending. I've looked up the closest classes ... but don't see anything mentioning $$$. Is there a fee to attend the Judging Classes?

It cost me $70 which included a year membership with the KCBS. Yearly dues of $35 (I believe) to maintain your certification.

Sawdustguy
04-02-2007, 01:54 PM

Look around and see if there are any KCBS contests coming to your area. Just look at the calendar on the KCBS web site (kcbs.us). They sometimes have a judging class preceeding a KCBS event.

biffleg
04-02-2007, 02:41 PM
It cost me $70 which included a year membership with the KCBS. Yearly dues of $35 (I believe) to maintain your certification.

Thanks Puppy!

biffleg
04-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Look around and see if there are any KCBS contests coming to your area. Just look at the calendar on the KCBS web site (kcbs.us). They sometimes have a judging class preceeding a KCBS event.

There are a couple of contest scattered around. I was going by what was listed on the KCBS website. Maybe I'll try to find a contest nearby and call the organizer ... see if they'll be offering any judging classes.

Aeynghus
04-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Major congrats to you!

Westexbbq
04-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Good news and great going.
I figure the more Brethren that become CBJ's in KCBS the better the quality and knowledge will be imparted at any KCBS event.
Congratulations.

ericoask
04-02-2007, 06:08 PM
headed up to one in Minnesota this month, gald to know it is a good learning experience

Puppyboy
06-11-2007, 05:53 PM
I would be curious to know what number they are at, if you don't mind would you post an idea of where they are at? Wonder how many CBJ's are still alive?

We were told we would receive our numbers in a few weeks with our name tags. As soon as I get it, I will adjust my signature below.

I got my packet from the KCBS today.
Sweet, a neat looking certificate making it "official".
I added my number to my signature.

smknwhlswife
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Good, maybe that means we will get ours pretty soon. We took the class at the GAB.

ZBQ
06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Congrats Puppyboy!

I am hoping to attend the judging class that is being held in Hermann, MO Aug. 23rd when I go to pick up my new Spicewine and make it a big BBQ Pilgramage!!:-P

BBQ_MAFIA
06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Congrats Puppyboy. I hope to take the class in the not to distant future.

Bentley
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Wow! Almost 22K now, I got mine in Oct 2003 at the Royal. 17K in 4 years...I would say our "Hobbie" is taking off with regards to Judging. Wonder how many more teams there are in that 4 year period. I have no idea how many there were in 2003.

I know when I started competing in the Spring of 2003 in CA., a big event was 15 teams. Now they tell me in 2000-2002 they had 25-35 teams that would compete, but they must have been scared when I started! :wink: But for the 1st 2 years I competed, I was never able to find an event in CA that hit 20. Then Modesto 2004 had 25 teams and it seems like we have taken off from there...been getting more teams and thank goodness many more contest in CA. I think 12 this year! Lets see...Autry, Modesto, Victorville, San Jose, Thousand Oaks, Fairfield, Imperial Beach, Clovis and Veijas are all KCBS. We have Stagecoach, Silent Valley and maybe one more event in November that will be IBCA, so we are steeping up in the BBQ landscape! 13 if you throw in Boulder City, NV which is only 4 hours from LA.

swamprb
06-12-2007, 03:41 AM
Congrats! Hopefully I should be receiving a packet from the KCBS soon, I took the class in mid April!

Brian

ModelMaker
06-12-2007, 06:48 AM
That number can't be right. Are you sure your not seeing your KCBS member number? Your judges number should be under 10,000.
Mine is 8841 from March of '06.
ModelMaker

voodoobbqIL
06-12-2007, 08:50 AM
no the judge number are up over 20K as the organizers of the Westmont IL contest all got certified and their numbers were in the 21K range

Bentley
06-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Thats 13K in a little over a year! That's even scarier! :eusa_clap