PDA

View Full Version : Irving Knights of Columbus CookOff

tony76248
03-27-2007, 05:09 PM
This weekend. They expect to have about 25-35 teams. Every year it has grown. Last year they had 26 teams. This is an IBCA sanctioned event, hope to see some Brethren there.

bowhnter
03-27-2007, 08:07 PM
I plan to come visit to meet some folks from a couple forums on Saturday morning. What is the name of your team so I can look you up?

JamesB
03-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Wouldn't ya know it... A cookoff less than a mile from my house and I will be out of the country that weekend!!! They have had this cookoff before? I never knew about it!

James.

DeezQ
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Good Luck Tony...! We will be there Saturday for support when you get your number called. I'm already excited.

tony76248
03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I plan to come visit to meet some folks from a couple forums on Saturday morning. What is the name of your team so I can look you up?

My team name is "Grillas in the Pits". I should be rather close to the building, I plan on taking my trailer in Thursday evening.

tony76248
03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Good Luck Tony...! We will be there Saturday for support when you get your number called. I'm already excited.

Thanks Bro, that is the plan!

Bigjim4x
03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Good luck on that Brisket!

Jorge
03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
This weekend. They expect to have about 25-35 teams. Every year it has grown. Last year they had 26 teams. This is an IBCA sanctioned event, hope to see some Brethren there.

Best of luck!

tony76248
03-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Good luck on that Brisket!

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

FatDaddy
03-29-2007, 06:28 AM
hmm dunno if the wifey will let me travel up that way this weekend.

tony76248
03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
We are expecting some serious rain, glad I have an insulated smoker and a canopy. :-D

FatDaddy
03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
well was just informed i get to cook two briskets for palm sunday retreat at church. so no go for me.

DeezQ
03-30-2007, 08:52 PM
These guys are getting some serious storms right now...!

ZILLA
03-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I just talked to my buddy "Redneck Cooker" who is up there cooking and he said it's raining like mad. Good luck to ya Brother!

nascarchuck
03-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Hey Tony...

I have never been to a comp and would like to come out and see what it's all about.

I am working tonight, so I will be sleeping tomorrow. How late do these things normally run? I don't want to get out there and everyone is gone!

DeezQ
03-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Last turn in is at 2pm per the flyer, so judging would be between 4 and 5pm. http://www.ibcabbq.org/flyers2007/irvingkc.pdf

bowhnter
04-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Tony, nice to meet you. Had to leave when you were getting ready for rib turn in, so didn't want to bother you.

How did you do?

Tony in action

nascarchuck
04-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Damn! Didn't get to make it, but hope to catch another local comp soon...

tony76248
04-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Tony, nice to meet you. Had to leave when you were getting ready for rib turn in, so didn't want to bother you.

How did you do?

Tony in action

It was great to meet you. It does get sort of hectic until the last turn in. Sorry I couldn't spend more time with you.

I wish you had stuck around and tried my ribs, I sorta knew they were gonna place. I was a bit worried after the first round of judging though. Our son Chris judged that preliminary round and he said "man there are a lot of good ribs entered"

I ended up with a 9th in chicken and 2nd in ribs. I wasn't disappointed that my brisket didn't finish higher, It really didn't turn out all that good. I made two of them using a new method and I am way back on the power curve. I will go back to my old method and try to fine tune it.

I think I am at the point where I can fine tune my chicken and get them to where I can move up, that said, everyday is a different day...... You may have noticed from that picture that my chicken had a bunch of toothpicks in it. I used them to prevent the skin from shrinking up to much. It also aided in keeping the wing pinned down. I am learning a few new tricks each event. Eric showed me the toothpicks on the skin and I decided to do the wing thing on my own...at least one semi-original thought occurred yesterday. Eric may have told me to pin the wing down too....If you did thanks!

I had a lot of help from Eric (DeezQ) and Brian (EyeQ) and a bunch of other folks in getting to this point. You would also be surprised at the little important pieces of information you can pick up by asking questions from fellow competitors. You just need to learn to desiminate the fact from the fiction. My team of Dywayne, Sheila, Amie and myself have certainly learned a lot in just three contests. I do tend to over analyze at times. All these guys tend to keep me in check.

BTW, Robert Waters of Smokin Waters BBQ won GC. There were a total of 28 teams entered. That was a great number of teams considering that it started raining Friday around noon and didn't stop until 2AM Saturday. I can tell you, it rained a major storm from about 8PM until 1AM too. I was visiting one guys pit and he had water up over my ankles.

At this event, I also met BBQ101 and KellerSteeler for the first time.

DeezQ
04-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Contratulations Tony, Great Showing. Thanks for having us out and allowing us to eat all your good Q. Keller Steeler also got 7th across the board in all three catagories. This was his first IBCA event.

tony76248
04-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I just talked to my buddy "Redneck Cooker" who is up there cooking and he said it's raining like mad. Good luck to ya Brother!

Redneck Cooker (Jeff) did pretty good too as did Ruint BBQ (Randy). I met these folks for the first time at this event. Congrats to those guys.

thillin
04-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Good job on the ribs and chicks Tony. I'm glad you didn't get washed or blown away by the storms.

chromesporty
04-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Congratulations Tony. Great showing. That chicken looked good. Our next contest is the Terrell Heritage Jubillee April 20-21. You gonna make that one?

tony76248
04-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Congratulations Tony. Great showing. That chicken looked good. Our next contest is the Terrell Heritage Jubillee April 20-21. You gonna make that one?

We do plan on being in Terrell. There should be about 5 or 6 teams in our area. We look forward to seeing you there.

tony76248
04-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I posted the pictures from Irving over in Woodpile.