PDA

View Full Version : lettuce question

rookiedad
03-19-2007, 09:48 PM
when setting up turn in boxes, does anyone have a problem with th meat wilting the lettuce before it gets to the judges? what is the approx. temp. of the meat when it goes into the box? thanks.

phil

Jeff_in_KC
03-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't. We make a complete bed of parsley held in place by chopped lettuce. I've never taken the temp of the meat but it's usually coming right out of the smoker or from a hot cooler.

spicewine
03-19-2007, 10:04 PM
For us, boxes are made at least an hour in advance. We pull the boxes out prior to the turn in time. The Meat is the Star of the Show!! You really don't want to put your best efforts on an ice cold bed of garnish and expect it to hold temp. Once again, another thing to have to ponder when you compete. Cold garnish = cool meat. Think about it!!

JMHO

Spice

MilitantSquatter
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
I keep the garnish cold prior to setting up the boxes to keep them as fresh as possible prior to setting up the box. However, the garnish warms up quickly sitting out for a few minutes on a hot summer day anyway.... Based on the experiences from the times I've judged, most of the lettuce around the perimeter is usually not wilted as it's not touching the meat directly. If it is wilted its more probable that the garnish was not that fresh rather than the heat of the meat getting to it after just a few minutes.. As far as the lettuce underneath, it really doesn't matter as it's not visible.

Even when taking meat right off the pit, the meat will not be piping hot if you let it sit it the box for 10+ minutes to see what the judge might see. I've never taken the meat temp, 10 minutes after boxing it up but warm is a good of a goal as any.

Sawdustguy
03-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Michele (Mrs Sawdust) does our boxes and to my recollection has not had that problem yet.