PDA

View Full Version : Harpoon

YankeeBBQ
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Harpoon apps will be mailed later this week for returning teams. Applications for New teams will be mailed the following week. Make sure when you get it you return it asap or you will get shut out.

Scottie
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
do you know if they can FedEx it out West? I'm at a diasadvantage living West of all of y'all... I've got my FedEx return envelope ready!!! :roll:

Jorge
03-19-2007, 03:54 PM
do you know if they can FedEx it out West? I'm at a diasadvantage living West of all of y'all... I've got my FedEx return envelope ready!!! :roll:

I bet Steve would fax it to you, for a reasonable fee8-)

The Anchorman
03-19-2007, 04:54 PM
How does one get on the New team List?

MilitantSquatter
03-19-2007, 06:29 PM
E-mail Fitz @ fitz@harpoonbrewery.com (fitz@harpoonbrewery.com)

I'm waiting for a new team application too. Fitz e-mailed me today and told me that it would be mailed out it two weeks. I plan to return it ASAP, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

Lakeside Smoker
03-19-2007, 07:23 PM
Good luck getting into that one!
Ill be juding at Harpoon this year, cant wait!

Scottie
03-20-2007, 09:11 AM
E-mail Fitz @ fitz@harpoonbrewery.com (fitz@harpoonbrewery.com)

I'm waiting for a new team application too. Fitz e-mailed me today and told me that it would be mailed out it two weeks. I plan to return it ASAP, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

I sent him a $100 bill in my Christmas card to him... Not sure if that will work or not? :wink:

Scottie
cancersuckschicago.com

Sawdustguy
03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I sent him a $100 bill in my Christmas card to him... Not sure if that will work or not? :wink:

Scottie
cancersuckschicago.com

Great Idea! I am mad at myself for not doing that as well. :wink: :biggrin:

LostNation
03-25-2007, 06:50 AM
I just got my application yesterday, I'll fed-ex it tomorrow.

MilitantSquatter
04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Got the application today... Went straight to the post office and sent in the application/check via Express next day mail.. but I got there after 5:30PM so it may not arrive until Sat. morning.

I know it's a longshot, but at best I'm hoping to get near the top of the waiting list..

(And what's with the optional $135 charge for a personal porta-potty ?? I was filling out the application quickly and first thought that was the charge for the grilling categories !!!.)

Q Haven
04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Got ours this afternoon, 25 minutes later it was at the Fed Ex office with guaranteed delivery by 10:30 tomorrow morning. I really hope we get in, I'll be really bummed if we don't!

ique
04-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Got ours this afternoon, 25 minutes later it was at the Fed Ex office with guaranteed delivery by 10:30 tomorrow morning. I really hope we get in, I'll be really bummed if we don't!

Got the application today... Went straight to the post office

Good luck guys! If you don't get in you should consider judging. My team is having a big party Sat. night and you are all cordially invited.

Sawdustguy
04-06-2007, 09:34 AM
We have not even recieved ours in the mail yet. I assume it is too late for us this year.

Q Haven
04-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks Chris!

Lakeside Smoker
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
My team is having a big party Sat. night and you are all cordially invited.

Even us judges? :-P

The Anchorman
04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
The Anchormen are locked out of Harpoon at this time. If there is any team that can't make it and they want to sell their space Please Consider Selling it to The Anchormen.
Thanks Ray:x

The Anchorman
04-06-2007, 03:37 PM
I guess we will sign up to judge it again this year.

SmokeInDaEye
04-06-2007, 04:29 PM
We have not even recieved ours in the mail yet. I assume it is too late for us this year.

I'm with you, Guy. Had mine sent to work thinking I could get it out faster but have been out with a cold the last two days. Damn cold. Seemed like a loooooooooooong shot anyway.

The Anchorman
04-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Hey Clint Come up and Judge with us. Last year we got this great Cabin, had a great party.
It could be a blast!

MilitantSquatter
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Good luck guys! If you don't get in you should consider judging. My team is having a big party Sat. night and you are all cordially invited.

Might just have to take you up on that...

The Anchormen are locked out of Harpoon at this time.

Ray - How did you find out you were locked out already ?

Is Jack's Old South coming up from GA again this year ? If not, at least that will give one new team a chance to get in. Anyone aware of any teams that are not coming back ?

The Anchorman
04-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Ray,
Unfortunately the event is sold out at this point. We have a huge demand from teams and can only accommodate a small portion of them. This makes the event more manageable and ensures a great time to all. Sorry for the bad news. Contact me in January of 08 if you are interested next year.
Cheers,
Fitz Granger
From the organizer, Ray

MilitantSquatter
04-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks Ray...

When did you get that response from Fitz ? Did you send in a check and application already or were you inquiring to get an application ?

Seems odd that they would mail out new team applications (postmarked 4/3 to me) if they were already closed out with confirmations from returning teams...

MilitantSquatter
04-06-2007, 08:36 PM
The other thing I noticed on the application packet is they included a map of the site layout and bolded all the sites that were " Vendor BBQ Teams"... those that were willing to vend to the public.. The listed 45 sites in total with a few teams having double sites. Only 7 of the site #'s were designated " Non Vendor BBQ Teams". Seems like Harpoon wants to ensure there is enough food to serve the spectators all weekend so Harpoon might have a vested interest in being selective as to taking teams who wish to vend get first priority.

It's their contest, so they are entitled to make up the rules and ensure the public has a good time and help make the event profitable for them, but the more I think about it, the less likely I think my chances are if vending teams have an advantage....

ique
04-06-2007, 09:07 PM
The other thing I noticed on the application packet is they included a map of the site layout and bolded all the sites that were " Vendor BBQ Teams"...

Actually, almost all of the teams vend, but just for one day. Thats one of the good things about the Harpoon event, the teams can vend and the public gets what they want: tasting the competition teams food. Some teams focus on vending and some just sell leftover comp meats. I think why this event is popular is pretty much every team drinks a lot of free beer and the vending sends teams 1-50 home close to break even.

A couple times during the first few years the teams ran out of food and all the folks that paid $8 bucks at the door were disappointed. So Harpoon blocked off a few double spots and gave them to teams that would vend both days and make sure there was still food available into later Sunday afternoon.

I've spoke with Fitz and he knows this could double up to an 80 team event, basically its a small venue with limited parking and they think it will just run better at 40-50 teams.

Sawdustguy
04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
The other thing I noticed on the application packet is they included a map of the site layout and bolded all the sites that were " Vendor BBQ Teams"... those that were willing to vend to the public.. The listed 45 sites in total with a few teams having double sites. Only 7 of the site #'s were designated " Non Vendor BBQ Teams". Seems like Harpoon wants to ensure there is enough food to serve the spectators all weekend so Harpoon might have a vested interest in being selective as to taking teams who wish to vend get first priority.

It's their contest, so they are entitled to make up the rules and ensure the public has a good time and help make the event profitable for them, but the more I think about it, the less likely I think my chances are if vending teams have an advantage....

We got an email from Fitz today saying our application was the last sent. He is not sending any more because he does not want to send any to teams who have do not have a shot at all. He said that a number of us may be wait listed and it depends on how many returning teams return. It's hurry up and wait. We don't mind vending, as a matter of fact my brother would love it. Why I don't know?:rolleyes:

MilitantSquatter
04-06-2007, 09:28 PM
We got an email from Fitz today saying our application was the last sent. He is not sending any more because he does not want to send any to teams who have do not have a shot at all. He said that a number of us may be wait listed and it depends on how many returning teams return. It's hurry up and wait. We don't mind vending, as a matter of fact my brother would love it. Why I don't know?:rolleyes:

Thanks Chris... I think I'd loose my mind trying to cook for the contest and vend at the same time. But then again, I'd bet your vending line would be very long and mine would be short with the small army of trophies you have...

Thanks Guy - This is the part I still don't get... If he e-mailed you today, I would assume he has an idea of how many returning teams sent in their applications already and how many new team entries he may have received.. The way I perceived Harpoon was handling it was that the returning teams just got a two week head start on sending in the application and needed to send in ASAP to be guaranteed before new neams got their applications and began sending them in as well.. OR does a returning team have up until a certain date to return the application to get priority (like the way New Holland Summerfest does it), even after they begin receiving applications from new teams ?

Sawdustguy
04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Vinny,

I have no clue what the hell they are doing. It sure doesn't make any sense to me.

The Anchorman
04-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks Ray...

When did you get that response from Fitz ? Did you send in a check and application already or were you inquiring to get an application ?

Seems odd that they would mail out new team applications (postmarked 4/3 to me) if they were already closed out with confirmations from returning teams...

That email was sent to me yesterday Friday April 6.
I sure hope there might be a team that drops and will sell their site to us.
We cooked the contest for 3 years in a row, then we judged last year.
That put us right out of the running to be a competing team? Darn.
I hope a spot opens up! But I doubt it.

MilitantSquatter
04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Things really going downhill now..... I go to the USPS tracking website to confirm delivery and I get the following message... I must have forgot to sign the line that does not require a signature for delivery...

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:34 AM on April 7, 2007 in BOSTON, MA 02210 and a notice was left. A second delivery attempt will be made. If unsuccessful, we will hold it for five business days and then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Hopefully it gets re-delivered Monday morning. I sent Fitz an e-mail hoping that may help.

YankeeBBQ
04-07-2007, 02:32 PM
That email was sent to me yesterday Friday April 6.
I sure hope there might be a team that drops and will sell their site to us.
We cooked the contest for 3 years in a row, then we judged last year.
That put us right out of the running to be a competing team? Darn.
I hope a spot opens up! But I doubt it.

Hey Ray I don't think a team should be able to sell their entry. They should get a refund and then the next team on the waiting list should get in. That's just my opinion and I don't know how Harpoon handles it.

The Anchorman
04-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I was just going by posts that I seen before, where the team could not make it and asked if there were any teams that wanted to go in there place. If I am out of place on this I apologize.

YankeeBBQ
04-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I was just going by posts that I seen before, where the team could not make it and asked if there were any teams that wanted to go in there place. If I am out of place on this I apologize.

Well It's just the way I feel. Bye the way I'm cooking up a mess of ABT's right now.

Q Haven
04-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Things really going downhill now..... I go to the USPS tracking website to confirm delivery and I get the following message... I must have forgot to sign the line that does not require a signature for delivery...

We attempted to deliver your item at 10:34 AM on April 7, 2007 in BOSTON, MA 02210 and a notice was left. A second delivery attempt will be made. If unsuccessful, we will hold it for five business days and then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Hopefully it gets re-delivered Monday morning. I sent Fitz an e-mail hoping that may help.

See, that's the trouble with the USPS, if you don't send something Express Mail by 2PM it will not be delivered the next day. You sent it Thursday and they didn't even try to deliver it until Saturday morning. I always use Fed Ex for important stuff. If you get it in before 6:30 PM they promise AM delivery the next day. Ours was delivered to Harpoon and signed for at 10:05 AM Friday.

MilitantSquatter
04-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm In !!!!!.......

Long story regarding my USPS Express Mail saga this morning. Surpringly the Post Office 1800 customer service # is very good(and answered on the first ring !!) to track down where the envelope ended up since their website was giving me mixed info.

I confirmed that my application ended up in the right hands and Fitz let me know that he got it and that I'm set and confirmation packets would be mailed out in a few weeks. I think Fitz is away the rest of the week..

SmokeInDaEye
04-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Holy farkamoley, Batman! Congrats, Vinny!!! I guess all of your begging paid off.:biggrin:

Q Haven
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
We're in! This is the one event I didn't want to miss this year!

Can't wait!!!

Mrs. Sawdust
04-17-2007, 06:47 PM
The Polocks are IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so looking forward to this comp.

ique
04-18-2007, 07:29 AM
The team list....

Back 40 BBQ
Bare Bones BBQ
Big Boned BBQ
Black Diamond Barbeque
Que-Ball
Burnt Offerings BBQ Co.
Central Pork West
Dr. Frank'n'swine
Faux Pas BBQ
Feeding Friendz
Firefly's
Firetown Smokers
Flaming Hog BBQ
Giggling Pigs BBQ Co.
Howling Hog Barbecue
I Smell Smoke !!!
iQue
Lost Nation Smoke Company
Lunchmeat
Porkaholics
Qwannabee's
Regal BBQ
Smokin Dog BBQ
Smoking Fools BBQ - A Vermont BBQ Company
Sunset Grille & Tap Room
The Bastey Boys
The BBQ Guru Cooking Team
The Purple Turtle Catering Company
Transformer Barbecue
Twin State Smoke Co.
Uncle Jed's BBQ
Yankee BBQ Boys
The Slabs.com (http://slabs.com/)
Bad Bones BBQ Crew
Q Haven
Yabba Dabba Que
Champlain Pit Crew
Brothers Whole Hog BBQ
Cancersuckschicago.com (http://cancersuckschicago.com/)
Two Fat Polocks

Scottie
04-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Really looking forward to this one Chris. Going to enjoy my 2 trips out to the NE this summer.

Scottie

backyardchef
04-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Wow....what a lineup of teams! That looks like it's gonna be an awesome comp as usual....I see some 'foreigners' coming to visit the northeast:cool:

SmokeInDaEye
04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Wow. Impressive lineup. Congrats Vinny, Ted, Guy and all other first timers. Gonna have to really try to get on the waiting list next year for this one!

Sawdustguy
04-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Wow. Impressive lineup. Congrats Vinny, Ted, Guy and all other first timers. Gonna have to really try to get on the waiting list next year for this one!

Thanks Clint! I see that the Slabs will be cooking Harpoon. I am very excited to meet everyone up there, I can hardly wait.

rbsnwngs
07-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Tell the VT State Police to be on alert
close Ben and Jerrys
Tell Harpoon to stock more beer
I Like Smoke-N-Lightning was just invited to come up and drink with you boys and girls.
WERE IN
a team dropped out and we were next on the list

P.S Oh by the way i need directions as well

LostNation
07-04-2007, 06:04 AM
P.S Oh by the way i need directions as well

Great to see you got in Will, The directions are easy. Head north, when the scenery gets nice your close, when you smell beer your real close, look for a parking spot. If you start to hear a lot of French being spoken, the girls are gorgeous and every body smokes you went to far. Turn around and start smelling for the beer again.

rbsnwngs
07-04-2007, 06:29 AM
great directions Rich but the only problem is there will be beer in the car so i'll be smelling it the whole way up.

Q Haven
07-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Glad to hear that you're in Will...

LostNation
07-04-2007, 07:24 AM
great directions Rich but the only problem is there will be beer in the car so i'll be smelling it the whole way up.

Well then the directions are going to be a little harder. When you start to see Green Mountains of Vermont start sniffing for cow chit. It's an hour north on the chit smell.

SmokeInDaEye
07-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Congrats, Will. Unfortunately I'll be far from Vermont that weekend cooking in Jersey but hope to get on the waiting list next year.

MilitantSquatter
07-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Congrats Will !!!

Here's the address you can go to mapquest.com with :
336 Ruth Carney Drive
Windsor, VT 05089

I think you can take the Ferry to CT and cut out some of the mileage driving.

I'll have my very own Pit Bitch (Poobah) and my secret weapon(Jorge, whose flying in from TX). We'll be heading up taking Phil's trailer w/ my Spicebox on Thursday & staying in a hotel overnight.

ique
07-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Saturday Night after the KCBS contest awards we are having a party at the I Que camp... cocktails and a spread of chow (no bbq), hoping to see everyone there.

Some tough competition! Looking at the team list here is what jumps out to me...

Back 40 BBQ: Previous Harpoon RGC
Que-Ball: 07 NH GC
Central Pork West: BBQ All-stars producer and taught by Chris Lilly
I Smell Smoke !!!: 06 Harpoon GC, 06 NEBS Team of the Year
iQue 04, 05 Harpoon Grand Champs
Lost Nation Smoke Company: 03 Harpoon Grand Champs
Lunchmeat: Winners of many NEBS RGC's, consistently in top 5 overall, due
Qwannabee's: Awesome chicken recipe, Up and comers
The Bastey Boys: 02 Harpoon Grand Champs, RIBS
The BBQ Guru Cooking Team: Bunch of RGC's and top 5 overalls
The Purple Turtle Catering Company: 07 Lake Placid GC
TheSlabs.com: National Top 10 KCBS team
Bad Bones BBQ Crew: BBQ Brethren All-Stars
Q Haven: 06 NH State Champ, up and comers
Cancer Sucks: 06 Jack Daniels Grand Champs

ique
07-11-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm hearing that Fireflies (a two-day vendor with two sites) has dropped out of Harpoon. Not sure if any Brethren are on the waiting list but Fitz will be filling a spot or two with high preference given to those who vend.

Transformer BBQ
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
and there is a new $500 award for best spot voted by the public this year... (we just got our packet)

barfly
07-11-2007, 05:18 PM
and there is a new $500 award for best spot voted by the public this year... (we just got our packet)

competitors pit or vendors? if it's for competitors we'll be S.O.L. unless they consider beer can pyramids art..aw heck, we'll just take off our shirts and walk away with the $$$.

lunchlady
07-11-2007, 06:35 PM
aw heck, we'll just take off our shirts and walk away with the $$$.

OH MAN... thats what WE were gonna do~! :icon_blush:
Dang, now I gotta come up with something else.

I guess we'll see all y'all there! literally.

The Anchorman
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
OH MAN... thats what WE were gonna do~!
Dang, now I gotta come up with something else.

Man I want to see Sully do that!

Transformer BBQ
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
it sounds like it is for teams and vendors... and besides Dr. Gonzo and the Kayem truck.. I don't remember very many other vending only set ups.