PDA

View Full Version : Long Island's First Annual ICS Chili Cookoff

Bready
03-17-2007, 04:07 PM
The Hot Sauce Shop is hosting Long Island's First Annual ICS Chili Cookoff. It is being held on May 27th at The Patchogue Marina. Live music, Drinks, food and ofcourse Chili. Looking for Cooks, Sponsers, and Volunteers, and ofcourse patrons!! For more information visit international chili society cookoffs web site or call Brandon or Michelle at 516-315-8362, 631-467-9378:-P

MilitantSquatter
03-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Poobah !!! Calling Poobah !!!

I'd consider competing, but this is a good reason for Phil to cook up a big ole pot of his !! One of the best I've had.. and I eat chili everywhere I go

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Event/Event_Map_Search.asp?StateId=35

These are the rules http://www.chilicookoff.com/Event/Event_Rules.asp

SmokeInDaEye
03-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Everywhere, Vinny???? That seems a little hard to believe. I saw you eat a Philly cheesesteak last weekend. Anyway, liar, this looks like a lot of fun! Need to check the calendar.

Westexbbq
03-17-2007, 04:58 PM
The Hot sauce shop?
That's right around the corner from me.
Hmm.

BBQchef33
03-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey, im IN!!! Who else is coming??

rbsnwngs
03-18-2007, 01:35 AM
ill be there

Jorge
03-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Hey, im IN!!! Who else is coming??

Cooked on site, so that rules out your special blend....which, while I AM a purist, is incredible!

Edit: The only thing more fun than a BBQ cookoff with Willie B., might be a chili cookoff with Willie B.!

WannaBeBBQueen
03-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Hmmm, the day before my birthday, I'll put it on the calendar. Sounds like fun!

Sledneck
03-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Definately in

Westexbbq
03-18-2007, 01:37 PM
See y'all there, this'll be fun.!

MilitantSquatter
03-18-2007, 02:16 PM
When all of you are sayin you're in, does this mean you plan on cooking or just going to the event to hang out ? I'm not sure if I'll cook it yet or just come on down as I have the BBQ on the Farm contest the week before in PA.

Does anyone have any experience cooking at chili contest ? If you don't have one of those portable camping propane stoves, do they allow you to heat the pot of chili over a small Weber kettle ??

Sledneck
03-19-2007, 10:02 PM
im cooking, well actually my wife and my sister inlaws will be cooking i will be hanging

Westexbbq
03-20-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm gonna try and stop by the Hot shop as it is right around the corner and will try and get the details on what the cooking facilities will be etc. also looks like I may need to join the "society" etc. to participate.
They had me at rule #1.
"Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which are strictly forbidden."

BigBarry
03-20-2007, 08:20 PM
A few questions answered from Brandon - my comments in (parens):

1. Can we cook on coals if we have kettles? Sure as long as there is no open flames
(like campfires, I assume)

2. Can we use a pressure cooker pot? Unfortunately there will be no electric
(pressure cooker pots over flame should be fine)

3. Do we need a health certificate to vend the People's Choice chili or do we just give it away? No contestants need health certificates, they most likely will be there to inspect. You will need a thermometer, your own wash sink, gloves.

4. How about cleanup. Are there sinks and hot/cold water? Do we have to bring our own? You would need to bring your own.

5. Is there electricity available to the competitors? no

6. How much room does each competitor get? Most of us have 10x10 EZ up tents. Each competitor will get a 10x10 area so the 10x10 EZ up tent is perfect

7. Asphalt or grass setup area? It is a gravel area

MilitantSquatter
03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks BigBarry...

so, without electric, I would assume you would need to cook over a kettle unless you had one of those portable Coleman stovetops or camp burners that run on propane...

I think I'm gonna pass on cooking and just support whomever else decides to cook.

rbsnwngs
03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
i am not cooking just drinking

Bill-Chicago
03-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Poobah !!! Calling Poobah !!!

Per rule #5, he would get DQ'd

Salsa is a seperate category, not something to add to red chili.

No mention about mushrooms you love to add though.

WannaBeBBQueen
03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Per rule #5, he would get DQ'd

Salsa is a seperate category, not something to add to red chili.

No mention about mushrooms you love to add though.

You can't add salsa???????:eek:

Time to go back and re-rerad the rules...

Bill-Chicago
03-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Maybe you can.

I read it as 3 distinct categories.

I'm probably wrong

Wine & Swine
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Salsa: there are no rules as to the ingredients or how to prepare your Salsa.It may be prepared at home and brought to the site that day, or it may be store bought and brought to the site, or it may be prepared at the Cookoff.

4. No ingredient may be pre-cooked in any way prior to the commencement of the official cookoff. The only exceptions are canned or bottled tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, pepper sauce, beverages, broth and grinding and/or mixing of spices.
OK I had to reread the rules and it makes less sense know. It says that for the salsa competition it can be store bought and brought to the competition. So I can just buy a salsa, turn it in and in theory win? Also I would think salsa is ok to use in your chili as bottle tomatoes, tomato sauce & pepper/pepper sauces are ok. Rather confusing. So am I going to turn in some Hormel chili (no beans) and a jar a Pace picante salsa. I am a shoe-in for the blue ribbon.

Jorge
03-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks BigBarry...

so, without electric, I would assume you would need to cook over a kettle unless you had one of those portable Coleman stovetops or camp burners that run on propane...

I think I'm gonna pass on cooking and just support whomever else decides to cook.

A turkey fryer doesn't work half bad unless that doesn't fit with their open flame definition.

WannaBeBBQueen
03-21-2007, 11:48 AM
OK I had to reread the rules and it makes less sense know. It says that for the salsa competition it can be store bought and brought to the competition. So I can just buy a salsa, turn it in and in theory win? Also I would think salsa is ok to use in your chili as bottle tomatoes, tomato sauce & pepper/pepper sauces are ok. Rather confusing. So am I going to turn in some Hormel chili (no beans) and a jar a Pace picante salsa. I am a shoe-in for the blue ribbon.

gee now I'm more confused...lol

Westexbbq
03-21-2007, 12:02 PM
My take on this is as follows;
There are 3 contests;
One for regular Chili (the traditional "bowl of red" with red chili peppers included, (and of course No beans.)
One for Chili Verde (green peppers included)
One for Salsa. (why?, I don't know since the rules say you can bring "store bought."
(Wine and Swine and his Pace's should be a strong competitor against my Mrs. Renfros.)
Then there is some kind of Peoples Choice Chili competition (that "requires beans be included" aaargh!)
The brevity of the event pretty much eliminates using brisket but as we know there are thousands of variations to making a good bowl of red and I think certainly that one of the ingredients could indeed be some sort of salsa.
I am still gonna try and find out more but sounds like Big Barry has some good input so far. Still checking to find out if we have to pony up the membership dues to be an official competitor.
Just my dos centavos.

BBQchef33
03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
sorry ladies, but the salsa is just a shortcut.. can just as easily be made with a can of tomatoes and some diced peppers and onions if I need to. done it many times when we had no salsa in the house.

BigBarry
03-22-2007, 12:05 AM
I am still going to compete (first time for everything) and I will clarify a few more things soon.

I just bought 2 HUGE cans of sliced jalapenos and a big bag of chipotle is waiting...wanna try my green chili???

It's all fun!

Bready
03-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Sorry for not responding to anyone's posts. But I am finally going to.... thank you everyone that is helping explain the cookoff.
There is four categories.
1-red chili -no beans :( 1st prize $1000; 2nd $500 3rd $150
2-Chili Verde (green chili) 1st $250; 2nd $50; 3rd $25
3-salsa 1st $250; 2nd $50; 3rd $25
4- people's choice 1st $500; 2nd $250; 3rd $100
These are the determine dollar amounts but depending on what we get in donatations maybe given in cash or prizes (gift certificates, bbqs, chili related items. ect.)
Everything has to be made from scratch except the Salsa. (b/c there are so many people that bottle their own salsa, it makes it easier for them to just opened their own can.)
To sign up without paying a board of health $50 fee The deadline is May 11th.
We are still looking for cooks, donations, judges, volunteers for that day. Larger donations will get a booth that day to showcase their business or organization.
Once again, once we cover expenses proceeds are going to be donated to Splashes of Hope.
any other questions or to register please call brandon or Michelle 516-315-8362 or 631-467-9378

Westexbbq
04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
I stopped in to the Hot Sauce Shop yesterday, it is definitely worth a visit.
First thing I noticed on the first rack on the wall were all three Willie B rubs prominently displayed.
Had a chance to meet the proprietor's wife and young son, Brandon, who is in charge of re-arranging all the display shelves within reach.
They have a huge selection of all kinds of rubs, sauces, hot and sweet, name brands we all recognize as well as some that were rather obscure, at least to me. They had a small selection of BBQ books, including 2 from Dr. BBQ.
They feature Traeger grills and lots of other gifts and accessories as well.
The upcoming Chili cookoff looks to be a worthwhile event for charity and I am sure if anyone of us compete, we can have a great time to boot.
Just my dos centavos,
be there or be square,
Wes

Sledneck
04-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Looks like the venue has changed for this event.

Westexbbq
04-08-2007, 01:47 PM
'Sup Sled?

MilitantSquatter
04-08-2007, 01:56 PM
It said Patchogue Marina .. now it says Morgan's Swan River Marina.

Sledneck
04-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Its basically a boatyard. Not that there is anything wrong with that but that original venue was awesome. We're still in

Sledneck
04-22-2007, 09:33 PM
whos in?

motoeric
04-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Has anyone heard from the organizers at all? I spoke with them once and left my info and they said they would get back in a week. I hadn't heard from them in about a month, so I sent an email. Didn't hear anything again, so I called them and they said that they would get back to me.

I haven't seen any local advertising, heard anything from other friends who are interested in this sort of thing or noticed any local restaurants posting that they are participating. Is it even happening?

Eric

Sledneck
04-22-2007, 10:13 PM
i did the same, i submitted my entry via the ics website and did not receive any confirmation. I emailed a couple of days ago and have not heard. westex you shop there any info?

BigBarry
04-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm out. Just not "feeling it" if you know what I mean...

Sledneck
04-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm out. Just not "feeling it" if you know what I mean...
no i dont know

BigBarry
04-22-2007, 10:33 PM
no i dont know

Boatyard venue change, not much feedback or involvement from the organizers, Sunday of Memorial Day w/e, no advertising, etc.

Sledneck
04-22-2007, 10:37 PM
still $2100 up for grabs im in i dont care when where how im in, i hope everybody else drops out as well

Sledneck
04-22-2007, 10:50 PM
i am "feeling it" i guess

Bill-Chicago
04-23-2007, 01:22 PM
i am "feeling it" i guess

I just hope "it" isn't Pyrite

Sledneck
04-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Got some news today Everything is a go with this contest

Westexbbq
05-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Yes indeed, I think it is a go.
I stopped in again this evening and met Brandon, the owner, aka bready and they (he and his lovely wife) should be sending an update post soon.
(picked up a copy of Dr. BBQs first book that was missing from my short list and an abt rack.)
I am sorry to hear and report that they will be closing down the storefront in Lake Ronk. but will maintain their stock via their website.
So, keep your options open for the chili gig as it should still be a happening event, depending of course on the number of cooks who participate etc.
That is latest info I have.

Bready
05-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey sorry I take forever. Been really busy. Decided we are closing the store just wasn't making enough money to cover rent and having a 2 year old at the store all day isn't fair to him or my wife. But we still have our website and we will be at street/craft fairs.
As for the cook-off it is still going on we have alot of people interested but we haven't gotten many applications filled out. the deadline before the health dept charges $50 is the 14th. It is suppose to be going in the pennysaver when I know which one for sure I will post it and we went to the local shops. Also it got mailed to everyone on our mailing list from the store which was over 300 people and Splashes of Hope mailed them to their friends list which is over 200 people. It is sanctioned by the ICS so it is posted on their website.Their website is chilicookoff.com any other questions please call me Brandon on my cell @ 516-315-8362 or The Hot Sauce Shop's (my wife Michelle) @ 631-467-9378 or email [email protected] the info@notjusthotsauce isn't working well.
Thanks please any questions call

SmokeInDaEye
05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey sorry I take forever. Been really busy. Decided we are closing the store just wasn't making enough money to cover rent and having a 2 year old at the store all day isn't fair to him or my wife. But we still have our website and we will be at street/craft fairs.
As for the cook-off it is still going on we have alot of people interested but we haven't gotten many applications filled out. the deadline before the health dept charges $50 is the 14th. It is suppose to be going in the pennysaver when I know which one for sure I will post it and we went to the local shops. Also it got mailed to everyone on our mailing list from the store which was over 300 people and Splashes of Hope mailed them to their friends list which is over 200 people. It is sanctioned by the ICS so it is posted on their website.Their website is chilicookoff.com any other questions please call me Brandon on my cell @ 516-315-8362 or The Hot Sauce Shop's (my wife Michelle) @ 631-467-9378 or email [email protected] the info@notjusthotsauce isn't working well.
Thanks please any questions call

This sounds awesome, Bready!! It would be fun for a lot of the local brethren to go and compete in something a little different. At the very least, it makes it harder for Barbie (aka Sledneck) to sweep.:biggrin:

Sledneck
05-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Lets go ash-holes! we need more brethren to compete! You guys embarassed to lose to me in chili?

barfly
05-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Lets go ash-holes! we need more brethren to compete! You guys embarassed to lose to me in chili?

now that you mention it would be kinda embarrasing..

Sledneck
05-08-2007, 05:47 PM
exactly! i dont even like chili, it is a local event and we should support it

Westexbbq
05-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Sledneck, right on.
Yes, we need to help support this local event as best we can.
I'm getting my application papers in order to send in as we speak.
The more cooks who compete, the merrier.
Spread the word and let's all try and help make this a happening thing!

Bready
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Thank you Steve and Wes for spreading the news about our cookoff. We aggree the more cooks the better!! It will be a fun day. We will definitly need people's choice cooks. There won't be a lact of attentance by the public. We are getting signs put up on the corner of 112 and sunrise this weekend. hope to hear from more of you soon!! Sign up by May 14th!!!

Sledneck
05-09-2007, 04:11 PM
maybe we should ask a certain blog in brooklyn to promote it

Westexbbq
05-09-2007, 06:11 PM
Belay that thought for now.
I'm fixin' to call you on the smoker.

Sledneck
05-11-2007, 03:29 AM
maybe we should ask a certain blog in brooklyn to promote it
i guess it must be true when they say be careful of what you wish for:eek:

Sledneck
05-11-2007, 03:31 AM
btw those who are not taking part of this event y'all suck

WannaBeBBQueen
05-11-2007, 11:37 AM
can I come an d hang out? I can't compete, just can't get my chit together, but woulde love to hang or help if someone needs it...:roll:

Westexbbq
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
can I come an d hang out? I can't compete, just can't get my chit together, but woulde love to hang or help if someone needs it...:roll:

By all means, please do; I could use a little help.