PDA

View Full Version : **Update** New York/Dr.BBQ Real Deal BBQ cooking Class.

BBQchef33
03-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Ok folks, with the Kingsford thing out of the way, i can focus on setting up the class.

A few things.

We have ONE opening due to a dropout, if anyone wants to jump on it. I will look to see if theres anyone waiting still interest.. If you ARE interested, please PM me. First one gets it.

What you must bring.

Your own Tables, chairs, cutting boards, injectors, coolers(hot meats), and your cooking setup. You dont need to be full blown competition. Just bare bones.
Just like KCBS garnish is optional. :biggrin: If you want to use garnish in the box, bring it.
We encourage everyone, (especially the locals) to bring there own cooker if possible. We will have cookers on site. 2 lang 84s, a few Spicewines, MOAB and my BYC, but it would be be best to be using your own.
We will supply the rubs, injections, paper and foil goods.
You bring the meats or order thru WillyB. I will be posting a spreadsheet soon for you to confirm your meat orders from the previous thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24321).
We will be cooking overnight, so prepare to keep warm and comfortable.I think thats about it for now. I will keep posting as things come up.

Kirk
03-17-2007, 02:15 PM
We are local, but it's going to be tough for us to bring cookers since we don't have a trailer right now. We'd like to get in on some of the available space on one of the cookers you're bringing.
Like I mentioned, we can bring some extra lump, 5 or 6 bags, more if needed, just let me know.
I was wondering if you guys have or need turn-in boxes. I don't have any right now but I think they're only about 12 bucks at Sam's for 100 or so.
We'll show up early to help with setup and if there's anything else we can do, let me know.

MilitantSquatter
03-17-2007, 03:48 PM
There should be a decent anount of light at night since it's right on Hempstead Tpke. but did Dean mention what the status of lighting will be at night in the parking lot ? If there is electricity, I have a halogen spot light (like the one if the pic -not mine) that's pretty strong that I could bring..

Otherwise, lanterns for those who have them might be a good idea.

Westexbbq
03-17-2007, 05:01 PM
I too need to bum some space to cook.
Not in mobile-trailer mode yet.

Kirk
03-17-2007, 05:34 PM
What about cleanup? Knives, boards, hands, etc.?

spicewine
03-17-2007, 08:44 PM
There should be a decent anount of light at night since it's right on Hempstead Tpke. but did Dean mention what the status of lighting will be at night in the parking lot ? If there is electricity, I have a halogen spot light (like the one if the pic -not mine) that's pretty strong that I could bring..

Otherwise, lanterns for those who have them might be a good idea.

Those will be shining on your new cooker won't they??:lol: :lol:

Jeff_in_KC
03-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Those will be shining on your new cooker won't they??:lol: :lol:

Hey vinny, if you need some advice here, I'm the go to guy for that. Used those kinda lights to illuminate my Spicewine at the first comp I had her at. That's when Wayne called me Hollywood. :lol: Well that and the Hollywood car duster. don't forget that! :wink:

HoDeDo
03-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey vinny, if you need some advice here, I'm the go to guy for that. Used those kinda lights to illuminate my Spicewine at the first comp I had her at. That's when Wayne called me Hollywood. :lol: Well that and the Hollywood car duster. don't forget that! :wink:

We called Jeff alot of things for breaking out the duster.... :shock: He needed a turntable to put that smoker on..... just like the autoshow.:twisted:

Jorge
03-18-2007, 12:21 AM
We called Jeff alot of things for breaking out the duster.... :shock: He needed a turntable to put that smoker on..... just like the autoshow.:twisted:

So he already had the fake nails, caps on his teeth, stiletto heels, and silk dress?:cool:

BBQchef33
03-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Vinny, Good idea, bring the lights.

Kirk, there is a hose hookup we can use.

everyone.. I need meat orders!

I checked the other thread and only a few of you responded.

Please post here your orders, or if you will be bringing your own. I'd like a response either way from everyone attending. Attached is a spreadsheet of what I have so far.

WannaBeBBQueen
03-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Ok I checked the other thread I did ask for the Ray Special...I would like to double the chicken and the ribs though, is there something more or someplace else I should be posting this please let me know :).

Also I had been planning on repainting my smoker before the class (rust issues) but since the fire (in the house, not the smoker)there will be no way I will get it done. I see alot of people asking for smoker space is this going to be a problem if I dont bring mine? I will gladly buy whatever kind of fuel is requested, just let me know.

If it's going to be cold I have what is called a ram jet heater, only to be used outside. It runs off a propane tanks and coud keep a good size area (like a canopy or pop-up) warm.

Just let me know if there's anything else we need. Thanks.

Muzzlebrake
03-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Being the po'boy that I be, I would really like to bum some cooker space on one of them fancy big name cookers. I have never had the pleasure of cooking on a quality rig and would really like to see what all the fuss is about.

I am not above offering a to bribe my way in with whiskey, vodka or the spirits of choice.8-)

MilitantSquatter
03-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Phil - I'm gonna bring my own meats to cook.

BBQchef33
03-18-2007, 11:42 AM
muzzlebreak, what about your meats??

Westexbbq
03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Phil,
I am bringing my own meats to cook.
I can also bring some Kingsford and some cherry wood if that would help;
hope I can bum some cook space in one of Langs or whatever.

Sawdustguy
03-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Phil,

The Polocks are bringing their own meat. I bet you knew that though.:biggrin:

BigBarry
03-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Vinny, Good idea, bring the lights.

Kirk, there is a hose hookup we can use.

everyone.. I need meat orders!

I checked the other thread and only a few of you responded.

Please post here your orders, or if you will be bringing your own. I'd like a response either way from everyone attending. Attached is a spreadsheet of what I have so far.

It looks like I am in the spreadsheet for 1 each for the meats but some others are down for 2. Let me know if 1 is enough of each item. I have 2 WSMs now.

Cue's Your Daddy
03-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Phil,
Can u put me down for 2 orders of all the meats. I will also be bringing my smoker,as well as a big green egg.

Kirk
03-19-2007, 01:04 PM
It looks like I am in the spreadsheet for 1 each for the meats but some others are down for 2. Let me know if 1 is enough of each item. I have 2 WSMs now.
I think for the most part, those requesting 2 or more of everything are coming with 2 or more people.

CTSmokehouse
03-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Phil,

I wanted to add a rack of ribs (2 total). Excel is not my forte. Can't wait until the course.

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Muzzlebrake
03-19-2007, 08:17 PM
muzzlebreak, what about your meats??
would like to get through Willie B's please. what is the standard order going to consist of?
sorry thought I had said that.....excel doesnt work well for me .........mac user here
mea culpa

drbbq
03-19-2007, 08:37 PM

One is what I typically give out at a class. As long as there is cooker space feel free to cook more.

BBQchef33
03-19-2007, 11:23 PM
spreadsheets been getting updated as we went along. Just need a response from bbqesq.

Cue's Your Daddy
03-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Phil,

can you please put bbqesq down for 2 orders of all the meats. I just spoke to him.

Porky
03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Phil
I would like to order 2-briskets,2 ribs, 2-chicken, 1-butt. I will need cooker space and I am available to help set-up. I will also bring some Royal Oak. Please get back to me if you want me to help set-up.

Les

BBQchef33
03-20-2007, 12:31 PM
ok, spreadsheet is complete.. im forwarding it to Willie.

It seems very few are bringing cookers. I expected to have more people using their own equipment. Lazy bunch ya are!!! :wink: :-P

What we will have is:
2 big langs,
a big spicewine,
My BYC and MOAB
Guido I think has a lang 60 and I will bring the Bandera and Hondo.

Anyone cooking EXTRA meats may have to take second wave if we are short, but I think we will be ok.

Kirk
03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Tremendous capacity with all those cookers until you consider the amount of meat we're talking about. By my count, it should total up to 26 Briskets, 25 butts, 28 racks of ribs and 243 thighs. :shock:
I guess the chicken and ribs could be done while the butts and brisket are out and resting though?
We could bring our 3 WSM's too, but it would require bringing 2 vehicles. We'd like to avoid that if possible.

Sawdustguy
03-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Tremendous capacity with all those cookers until you consider the amount of meat we're talking about. By my count, it should total up to 26 Briskets, 25 butts, 28 racks of ribs and 243 thighs. :shock:
I guess the chicken and ribs could be done while the butts and brisket are out and resting though?
We could bring our 3 WSM's too, but it would require bringing 2 vehicles. We'd like to avoid that if possible.

Kirk,

It will be a little less because we are 4 people and are cooking as a team. We will not be cooking a set of meat for each.

Sawdustguy
03-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Anyone have a pickup available the day before. I am donating the wood for the Langs but I will be bringing alot of my stuff in my own truck. I was wondering if someone has some room for wood in their truck? I have enough to fuel the Langs.

Sledneck
03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I can put wood in my van

Sawdustguy
03-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks Steve!

Cue's Your Daddy
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
What is the exact address of grill kings headquarters.

WannaBeBBQueen
03-21-2007, 11:41 AM
The class will be at:

S.E.A Building (Grillkings)
1230 Hempstead Turnpike Franklin Square, NY 11010
Saturday March 31 and April 1.

Hope that helps.

Jaberwabee
03-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Makes me wish I didn't live 2000 miles away. Sounds like it will be a good time.

Kirk
03-24-2007, 02:29 PM
One week to go, I can't wait. Any last minute requests for equipment or supplies?

MilitantSquatter
03-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I found a carton of approx 175 turn in boxes while cleaning out my garage & going through contest supplies etc..

I can bring them if they have not been bought yet..

Kirk
03-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I found a carton of approx 175 turn in boxes while cleaning out my garage & going through contest supplies etc..

I can bring them if they have not been bought yet..
I almost went to Sam's to get some of those today. If we could mooch a few off you, that'd be great. Is there anything you need?

BBQchef33
03-24-2007, 07:25 PM
yeah!! bring them boxes!!!

BBQ_MAFIA
03-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Phil, I think I already sent this to you earlier but to be on the safe side, we will bring our own meats.

And I will bring my Lang 60.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of you next week.

MilitantSquatter
03-24-2007, 07:55 PM
And I will bring my Lang 60.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of you next week.

Umm... Guido... Aren't you forgetting your birthday present ???

Cue's Your Daddy
03-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Just wondering if anyone needs a table for the class. I have room in my trailer and have 2 extra tables i can bring if someone needs them. I am not going to bring them if they are not needed.
Also, I am in Ronkonkoma and if someone in the area has something they would like to bring to the class but cant fit it in there car, give me a heads up and i can see if i can fit it.

BBQchef33
03-27-2007, 09:01 AM
i will be doing the shopping today. I will put up the final list of items required to bring but after talking to Doc yesterday we recommend everyone bring a few small items to keep for themselves. I will have some additional for "group use".

What YOU need to bring.
One individual bottle of Newmans Own Oil & Vinegar dressing.
One roll foil(i will have a big one there, but it would be easier if you have your own too).
2 one gallon Ziplock bags
2 small trash bags to hold brisket.

If you want to do the turn-in boxes with Doc, he recommends 2 heads lettuce and 6 bunchs of parsley.

what u should also bring, A small cooler, especially if your doing extra meat, your cookig supplies(knive, cuttingboards, table, chairs...etc), whatever you will need for your sleeping spot, pad and paper if your a note taking person.

The adult beverage of your choice if you plan on partaking.

Westexbbq
03-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Just wondering if anyone needs a table for the class. I have room in my trailer and have 2 extra tables i can bring if someone needs them. I am not going to bring them if they are not needed.
Also, I am in Ronkonkoma and if someone in the area has something they would like to bring to the class but cant fit it in there car, give me a heads up and i can see if i can fit it.

Hi Paul,
I sent you a pm.
Regards,
Wes

WannaBeBBQueen
03-27-2007, 01:12 PM
For those of us who have ordered from Willie, do we need to p/u our meat before hand or will he bring it to the class for us? Do we need a cooler to keep our meat in (other than one for the brisket)? thanks

BBQchef33
03-27-2007, 01:45 PM
We will pickup willies meat. :)

Bigmista
03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
2 small trash bags to hold brisket.

Uh-oh! I hope somebody brings a camera this time!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96051#post96051

FARKIN FWOOOOOSSHHHHHH!!!!

Bigmista
03-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Uh-oh! I hope somebody brings a camera this time!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96051#post96051

FARKIN FWOOOOOSSHHHHHH!!!!

^
|
|
|
|
I thought that was funny.

Sledneck
03-27-2007, 04:47 PM
u funny

WannaBeBBQueen
03-27-2007, 05:46 PM
another question...lol

What kind of lettuce?

drbbq
03-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Green leaf lettuce.

Sledneck
03-27-2007, 07:47 PM
I am getting so psyched!!!

BigBarry
03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Me too! Let's hope we get another good weekend!

Porky
03-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Weather report for the Sat/Sun event should be in the 50's. I am really excited about this weekend.

Les

drbbq
03-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm heeeeeeeeeeere!

WannaBeBBQueen
03-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm heeeeeeeeeeere!

Excellent and welcome ...did you bring this nice weather? We are soooo looking forward to your class!

Sledneck
03-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm heeeeeeeeeeere!

Ok so lets start the class 2nite then, why wait?

Sledneck
03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
bOY staring ay the clock doesnt make it go any faster

MilitantSquatter
03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
bOY staring ay the clock doesnt make it go any faster

got all your supplies ready to go ???

Sledneck
03-28-2007, 09:07 PM
no, will round it all up on saturday

MilitantSquatter
03-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Steve !!! Wouldn't need to stare at the clock if you got your chit together now and cleaned out your kitchen utensil drawers...

Last night, I finished going through my utensil/prep tool box that I use for contests to make sure I had everything (see pic.. It's deceiving.. Doesn't look like much but there is a ton of stuff in there - lots of knives/slicers, thermometers, multiple types of injectors, measuring cups, sauce brushes, tongs etc.).....Only a few things I had to steal back from the kitchen drawers.. Nice to have a separate supplies....

Tonight after work I headed over to Restaurant Depot and bought two Superior Angus choice briskets (12.85 & 14.5 lbs.) two bone-in Smithfield butts (about 8.25 lbs each), and 2 twin packs of no-name spareribs...

Doc said to bring "meaty" spares... I hardly ever cook them as opposed to loinbacks at home & contests, so I just bought the two largest twin packs they had by weight.... I was clueless picking out a good rack of spares...

Looking forward to Doc finally helping me to not make my St. Louis Spare trimming not look like a botched abortion....

Will get the chicken thighs (and a few drumsticks too !!) and greens Friday or Sat morning..

All the other supplies are in plastic bins in the garage and just needs to get tossed onto the trailer..

BBQchef33
03-28-2007, 09:37 PM
i went shopping

and shopping

and shopping...

chit, the list didnt look that long till ya have to multiply it by 25. :eek:

WannaBeBBQueen
03-28-2007, 09:51 PM
i went shopping

and shopping

and shopping...

chit, the list didnt look that long till ya have to multiply it by 25. :eek:

LMAO!!!

Sledneck
03-29-2007, 03:15 AM
just wouldnt seem right if i was prepared early

brdbbq
03-29-2007, 06:25 AM
Don't forget terlett paper.

CTSmokehouse
03-29-2007, 06:36 AM
We will pickup willies meat. :)

How would Willie like to be paid for his meat? :) and .... how much? Newmans Own Oil and Vinegar Dressing? For marinade or for salad?

Looking forward to Saturday!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BBQchef33
03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
All the meats will be weighed and priced out individually, but the full set averaged out to in the area of $45-$50 depending on the weights.

A full set is 1 rack of spares, 9 thighs, 1 butt, 1 brisket. Willy would of course prefer cash.

The Newmans own is a requirment of the Doc. He did not say what it is for, but i doubt it is for a salad. :wink:

I bought 6 bottles in case anyone misses or cant find it.. as well as backups for everything else too.

If anyone local has a large blast heater(propane) let me know if its available. I have one for the tent, 2 would be better.

willkat98
03-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Good luck NorEaster's

Hope the weather is kind to you all

WannaBeBBQueen
03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
If anyone local has a large blast heater(propane) let me know if its available. I have one for the tent, 2 would be better.[/quote]

I do...I'll bring it, I should bring a propane tank too right? Phil I PMed you

smokincracker
03-29-2007, 12:55 PM
OK guys don't overwhelm the doc with dumb arse questions. He will get real cranky quick....Wishing all you guys have a great time this weekend. Give the big guy a swift kick in the arse for me as I'm on the way to Lake City, FL right were he should be goin.

Keep the know it alls in check so they don't ruin your learning experience.
Rays got lots of knowledge only experience can develop.
Have a blast & stay warm:) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fun in Q

Kirk
03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Just sitting here looking at the route from here to there. Can someone pm me a phone number to call in case we get lost? :oops:

CTSmokehouse
03-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Phil,

Do you have a final list of things to bring? My family room looks very full of good BBQ stuff... Multiple layers, dress warm looks like the thing to do.... Sorry Willie, got the BBQ shorts with a thousand pockets ... not this weekend... going to bring the pants and belt you told me to lose.. I will bring an extra canopy.. lanterns etc.... and whatever you need... I am Psyched!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

MilitantSquatter
03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Just sitting here looking at the route from here to there. Can someone pm me a phone number to call in case we get lost? :oops:

PM sent... Once you get to NY, it's quite easy... hard to get lost... about 1 mile up the block from the famous Belmont Racetrack, which is right off a major parkway...

Cue's Your Daddy
03-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Phil,

Do you need me to swing by your house saturday morning to pick up some stuff. It will not be a problem, i just need directions and what time.

parrothead
03-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Bob and I need a ride from the airport.

WannaBeBBQueen
03-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Bob and I need a ride from the airport.
What times does you flight come in maybe I swing by and pick you guys up...which airport?

Westexbbq
03-30-2007, 08:27 AM
I am right near Islip Macarthur in case that is the airport in question,Greg and Bob.

BBQchef33
03-30-2007, 08:59 AM
gregs coming in at islip.. can someone from out here get him? I wil be swamped and at the site early.

We need a few long extension cords and a garden hose.. can someone cover those items.. I am running out for more shopping, then gotta start mixing injections.

almost done..(huffin & puffin) :)

Kirk
03-30-2007, 09:16 AM
We need a few long extension cords and a garden hose..
I have a 100 ft cord and a few shorter ones. I'll bring that and an outlet strip.
I'd bring a hose but mine's filthy (no comments please) so maybe someone else can cover that.

drbbq
03-30-2007, 09:32 AM
gregs coming in at islip.. can someone from out here get him? I wil be swamped and at the site early.

We need a few long extension cords and a garden hose.. can someone cover those items.. I am running out for more shopping, then gotta start mixing injections.

Now you know why the class is usually $300. The guy on the ground works his ass off and deserves a good payday too, but Phil has passed on the payday to make the class cheaper for you guys.

See you all real soon!

Westexbbq
03-30-2007, 10:00 AM

I can bring 2 outdoor type extension cords, 1 orange one and one yellow one, both are at least fifty feet long I think.

Greg what time is your flight getting into Islip? What airline? I need to figure out room in the car etc but can make two trips if need be.
email at rmadlo48@optonline.net.
sent you a pm greg.
will check for messages.
wes

Westexbbq
03-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I can bring a hose too!

Kirk
03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
The guy on the ground works his ass off...
No doubt. We will be there as early as we can to help with whatever needs to get done.

CTSmokehouse
03-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Now you know why the class is usually $300. The guy on the ground works his ass off and deserves a good payday too, but Phil has passed on the payday to make the class cheaper for you guys.

See you all real soon!

Thanks Phil!

I have extensions cords also. Are you set for fire extiguishers? Anything else?
Let me know.

See you soon.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

WannaBeBBQueen
03-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Yes Phil, it can not be said enough! Thank you :biggrin:

I also have extingishers if necessary just let me know...

k, now here's the dumb question of the day, I'm not bringing my smoker, I am bringing two bags of royal oak, but what about chips or chunks? If so what flavor and how much?

Porky
03-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Phil
Thanks for all that you do and are doing to get this cooking class to run smoothly. Since I have never competed and this is the 1st class I am attending I am naive on what to bring to help out. I have all my gear(I think) and I am bringing a bag of Royal Oak, please let me know how I can help. Please let me know. Call my cell 516 232-3525. Let me help out.

Les

BBQchef33
03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Our wood supply got deep-sixed this morning.

I threw some logs of cherry in my trailer, enuf for MOAB and the BYC. I also have 2 bags lump and 4 kingsford. We need wood for 2 lang 86's and a lang 60. So if a few of ya can throw some logs or chunks in, it will help cover us. I will stop at Willys on the way in to pick up more if i have to.

good idea, a few extinguishers would be handy.

I made 2 trays of baked ziti and 2 trays sausage and peppers for dinner Saturday. if someone is picky and dont like that, your on your own.. (pizzaria is across the street. :) )

Westexbbq
03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
I got some wood too.!
What kind of ziti?
Let's see.
Greg, Bob, red and yellow extension cords, hose, half dozen mini logs of cherry........

WannaBeBBQueen
03-30-2007, 02:17 PM
I'll pick up some chunks...what flavor? Would you like me to bring fresh Italian bread to go with dinner? Sounds yummy:-D

Mrs. Sawdust
03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I'll pick up some chunks...what flavor? Would you like me to bring fresh Italian bread to go with dinner? Sounds yummy:-D

I got the Italian Bread covered. Phil is looking for log's not chunks (I believe). I have lots of wood but the truck is full and no one was able to come by to pick up any. We are going to try and squeeze what we can in the truck. If anyone is available to stop by tonite we have plenty of wood available.

BBQchef33
03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
chunks or logs are ok.. forget the extinguishers.. i forgot i have some in the trailer allready.

Westexbbq
03-30-2007, 06:20 PM
got 8 cherry logs, really long outdoor orange extension cord, thinking 100 to 150 feet, 50 ft. yellow extension cord, have a call into Parrothead for airport timing, but HOSE no good, winter varmint mod and now a holy hose.
also found 1 bag (24 lb. kingsford, logo facing left.)

Kirk
03-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I have 6 bags of lump and I think I can bring an 18-20 lb bag of hickory chunks. A few extension cords and an outlet strip too. Maybe I can get a hose, how long do we need?

Muzzlebrake
03-30-2007, 06:54 PM
OK so what time are we supposed to be there?
oh yeah and where exactley is there? whats the address, I cant find that post
thanks
Sean

willkat98
03-30-2007, 07:02 PM
OK so what time are we supposed to be there?
oh yeah and where exactley is there? whats the address, I cant find that post
thanks
Sean

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24321

post #1

Muzzlebrake
03-30-2007, 07:11 PM
thank you

Kirk
03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Maybe I can get a hose, how long do we need?
Nope, no hose tonight. I can pick one up in the morning if needed.
Also, I can bring my turkey fryer to heat some water (or whatever else) if it helps.
Let me know on both counts.

WannaBeBBQueen
03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
so excited! can't wait!! Soooo now I'm gonna try to get my chit together and get some sleep, but somehow I doubt it...

BBQchef33
03-30-2007, 10:39 PM
i am bringing the coleman hot water system. Its in the car.

i'll stop for a hose in the morning unless someone can dig one up... mine is kinda shot from having a run in with the snowblower last week.

I will be leaving here a little before 11. should be there around 12.

anyone gets there early, please wait to unload until so we can get situated. We waant to be near the water and electric, and im not sure where that is. Also want the classroom area to be away from the socializing so we dont disturb the good students. :)

Muzzlebrake
03-31-2007, 08:27 AM
OK so I am loading going out and cleaning out and loading up my truck and plan on leaving here about 11AM, am thinking about a 2 hour ride, ETA 1PM.
If there is anything that you need me to get drop me a line or give me a call on my cell
See you all soon
Sean

drbbq
03-31-2007, 08:47 AM
Can anyone bring a barstool for me? (This is a serious request.)

cmcadams
03-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Right now, I'm hitting myself for not just flying out and doing this. I'm going up to Detroit next month with my cooker and teammate, but I could have flown to NYC for $100 round trip... I should have just come out and cooked with someone there. :(

BBQchef33
03-31-2007, 03:07 PM
class has started. we are mmissing ctsmokehouse. if anyone can contact him or has contact onfo pm it to me and jorge or send a not and we will send my cell phone number .

SmokeInDaEye
04-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, the class should be about over now. Can't wait for an update! Stopped by with Wine & Swine for a couple minutes yesterday and it looked like everyone was having a great time. Hopefully someone got a picture of Big Barry and Vinny's makeshift electrical tape bandaids!

MilitantSquatter
04-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Got home a little while ago... Great class with great friends.. The good Doc is an excellent teacher...good mix of theory, his experience, Q&A throughout and Doc overseeing us practicing...and oh yeah... lots of jokes from everyone... Only at a Brethren class !!!!

I had the honor cooking Ray's demo meats as well as my own in the Spicebox

I managed to cook (3) 12-15 lb. briskets in just under 5 hours and 3 butts in just 7 hours !!!!!!! Briskets were OFF the racks at 12:45AM :eek: and butts were off at 4:50AM :shock: . Still turned out decent as I was keeping my fingers crossed after a nearly 11 hour cooler time. Seems I have some adjustments to make in using the door thermometer as a gage... Will make adjustments to correct moving forward.

Hope everyone gets home OK..

Kirk
04-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm home. I'm beat. I stink. I'm getting a shower and passing out for a little while. Great class and a great bunch of guys to hang out with. More later.

MrsBigBarry
04-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Big Barry got home too. He took of that chic electrical tape bandaging and put on a real one after cleaning the finger. He was falling asleep in the Jeep on the way home and has been sleeping now for a couple of hours. I'll roll him into the shower later.

I think we'll be eating bbq for a week straight!

Westexbbq
04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Yes indeed, a splendid time was had by all.
film at 11.

BBQchef33
04-01-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm shot. gonna trade in the feet and knees for a motorized handtruck. Heading for a hot shower and soak. :redface:

i had an absolute blast!! Docs a complete pro and did great puttin up with 25 brethren in 24 hours.. I didnt get much 'classroom' time, but got to hang with kirk, cues your daddy and his bro BBQEsq...parrothead, bob.. and all the NY'ers. LOTS of laughs... sides still sore and I'm really pooped... heading for a shower and soak.

mananana!!!

Porky
04-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Wow!!! That was an absolutely awesome experience. I got one hour of sleep last night and got thru the whole event on adrelaine(sp). Dr. BBQ rocks, as do all the folks who made the class happen, Poobah, that's you and anyone that helped you. The new friends that that I made could not be more helpful if they tried. Thanks to all of you who were generous to a fault with your time and knowledge helping answer any of my questions and offering anything you could to make this experience special for me. More to tomorrow, I am whipped. Just took a 1 1/2 half nap and then showered up.

Les

CTSmokehouse
04-01-2007, 09:39 PM
class has started. we are mmissing ctsmokehouse. if anyone can contact him or has contact onfo pm it to me and jorge or send a not and we will send my cell phone number .

Danger, Danger... Warning Warning Will Smith I do hope Cliff did not take the Silly Bus!!!

In fact I did and I got there 1:30 hours late and had the Brethren and my family worried. I thank you for you concern. My delayed arrival was due to my commitment to my profession and the wonderful NY traffic. Thank you for putting up for my late arrival.

It was a great learning experience. I repeat, it was a great learning experience.

There are a few things that I really enjoy in life and one of them I have experienced through BBQ. The BBQ Brethren, this Class, just meeting new people. BBQ rocks.....

Thank you Ray, Dr. BBQ for a great culinary learning experience*, Phil for your leadership in setting this up as well as your hard work in making it a success, Willy for finaly conditionally liking my pants and belt in March (and April Fools) and for your meat(nothing intended), Vinny for getting me up to speed, Guy and Family for cooker space on your Super Spice Wine and a fine cooking job , Nancee for her cutting board. Sled Neck for his humor, Big Barry for the rib tips... Julie (BBQ Queen) for the Bagel run and her sense of humor and fellowship. Everyone I met was great and helpful ...and that is the beauty of BBQ. Thanks for an understanding family!

I have pictures to come, I am overwelmed .

Time to rest.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

* the hidden message was well understood. It was a great experience!

ique
04-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Well seeing how I'm going to compete against a bunch of you guys this year, I couldnt sit around idly while y'all were getting smart with the Doc. I practiced ribs and pork yesterday... the ribs results...

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecjejhart/Ribs0401.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecjejhart/ribscut04.jpg

The tips are my favorite part....

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecjejhart/ribstips.jpg

Sawdustguy
04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
The Polocks want to thank Phil for an incredible job organizing the cooking class! I am so proud to one of the brethren. We also want to thank Dean Camastro for allowing to have the class at Grill Kings Headquarters and Ray Lampe for sharing his insite on competition BBQ. I want to say thank you to my wife for agreeing to participate in the class with me on our 29th wedding anniversary. She actually said that she couldn't think of a better way to spend an anniversary. Lastly I was thrilled to meet some brothers and sisters like Kirk, Cliff, Barry, Julie, Greg, Phil, Chrissy etc.

Mrs. Sawdust
04-02-2007, 07:53 AM
The Polocks want to thank Phil for an incredible job organizing the cooking class! I am so proud to one of the brethren. We also want to thank Dean Camastro for allowing to have the class at Grill Kings Headquarters and Ray Lampe for sharing his insite on competition BBQ. I want to say thank you to my wife for agreeing to participate in the class with me on our 29th wedding anniversary. She actually said that she couldn't think of a better way to spend an anniversary. Lastly I was thrilled to meet some brothers and sisters like Kirk, Cliff, Barry, Julie, Greg, Phil, Chrissy etc.

What he said!

BigBarry
04-02-2007, 08:05 AM
I want to thank Poobah, his son James, Dean and of course the good Doctor for a terrific event. I learned so much and I highly recommend the class.

I also want to thank the Brethren who were so helpful:

Willy. Vinny, Julie, Gary ang Guy, Les, Cliff, and rest of the folks who helped me out.

Great to hang out with everyone.

Getting psyched to compete this year!!!!

willkat98
04-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Good luck with your event this coming weekend.

I hope the weather holds out

big brother smoke
04-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Can a brother get some pics?

willkat98
04-02-2007, 08:32 AM

There are pictures in post #111 above, silly

parrothead
04-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Wow! What a good time! A big thanks to Wes for the airport ride. We weren't able to get the early flight, but opted to go in and have some cocktails since we hadn't had anything to drink the day before.

Great to meet new brethren and put faces to names as usual. I think I am pretty well recovered and ready for work again.

Thanks for the ride on the silly bus.

djmarko
04-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow, what a weekend. It was quite an experience. Dr. BBQ is a great teacher. He makes it obvious that he genuinely wants you to learn everything that he can teach you. Nice job.
A big thanks to Phil for putting this whole thing together and all he did to make the cost to everyone as low as possible. After hearing some of Ray's comments, I understand Phil gave up quite a bit to keep the cost down for all of us. Thank you Phil, it is very much appreciated.
Thanks to Vinny for loaning me his extra table. Thanks to Sean, Dean, Greg and Bob for being my pit buddies.

Muzzlebrake
04-02-2007, 09:35 AM
wow what a good time!

It was very cool being able to meet all of farkers face to face for the first time. I had a really good time and everytime I go to something like this, it reaffirms my notion that the BBQ world is filled with some good people.

Big thanks to Phil and all of the locals that did the groundwork to bring the good Doctor here.

Phil, thanks too for bringing the pits for us to use, I really liked cooking on the MOAB! Where else is a BYC going to sit cold and unused? Pit row was an incredible display of the finest in the industry with 2 Spicewines (including Vinny's "As Seen On TV" Microwine insta pit.....lol), 3 or was it 4 Langs, the MOAB and the BYC. Wow thats long way from my yard filled with Chargrillers and the new BSKD.

Finally Doc thanks so much for sharing your wisdom, wit and knowledge with all of us. The class was first rate and very very informative even if it did lack a sylabus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylabus

Hope to see all of those that I met this past weekend again soon and have another great time.

Sean

Kirk
04-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I got a few that I'll put up tonight. For now, just a big thanks to Phil, Ray, Dean and everyone else who contributed and made this thing happen. Oh, and Willie B for hooking us up with the meat too. I guess I still owe him a Foster's. (Did those pants fit, Willie? :icon_smil ) It was great getting to hang with some of the Brothers too. I never felt more comfortable hanging around with 25 guys (and gals) that I've never met before.

drbbq
04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all the nice words guys. Thanks again to Phil for all the hard work, thanks to Grill Kings for their support and thanks to everyone that showed up. It was great to see some old friends and make some new ones.

I usually have a really good time at these things too and this one was no exception. The pleasure was mine.

Cue's Your Daddy
04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Just want to say had a great time and learned alot. Want to say thx to poobah, for working his arse off, and it really showed. Most of you guys know him 100x better than me, but he deserves alot of credit for what he does for BBQ on long island as well as this site. I never really got to hang with him, but he makes you feel like you knew him for years. I have to also say that about everyone who was their. Your all a good bunch of Misfits. Thanks to Dr. BBQ. What made it such a great event is he is so down to earth and really wants you to learn. And the stories he told about his BBQ adventures made the class even better.

Mrs. Mafia
04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I unfortunately didn't get to stay for the whole class and workshop but was thrilled with what I did get to be there for. It's always nice to put names and faces together and hang out with really great people!

Thanks Phil for the hard work to organize the event and to "the good Dr " for the great class! Also to those who checked in on GUIDO after I hightailed it out of Dodge.

Looking forward to the next event!

Chrissy

Mooner
04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
When is Dr. BBQ holding a class for all us Kansas City guys?? :wink:

bbqesq
04-02-2007, 02:20 PM
What a great class and a great time. Dr. BBQ taught a hell of a class. I think we should give him an Honorary BBQ Brethren Doctrate in Barbecuology. It was great to meet everyone. Thanks again to Phil for putting this together and working his arse off. And Phil, make sure you thank your son for all his help too. Would have never got that tent up without him. Now I am going to go and find some Fab B and some MSG.

Nick

Sledneck
04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
So glad the weekend is over i was getting really tire of all of you....NOT! Nothing like 24 hours of "family"

Poobah and Doc were real beat sunday nite after the class and retired to the "mans room" over at casa sledneck.

BBQ_MAFIA
04-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks Phil for putting together such a great event. I had an outstanding time. Thanks Ray for all the great information and taking the time to stop by my set up a check on what I was doing. Your tips helped a lot.

I was happy to meet so many of you face to face and share a laugh and a few BBQ thoughts. I can't wait to do it again some time.

Kirk
04-02-2007, 09:17 PM
I started a picture thread in woodpile if anyone wants to add to it.
Steve, you need wireless surround speakers.

Westexbbq
04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Now that I am almost recuperated, I cannot add much more to all of the above, but;
This was truly a remarkable event that I am sure we will all treasure for a long time to come. Getting the chance to prep my brisket with the good Dr. himself is something I will never forget, not to mention the fantastic camaraderie involved with everyone.
The learning curve is always slanted upwards and those of us fortunate enough to have been there last weekend certainly are all a bit more-learned now.
Had a great time y'all and thanks for all the help and everything.
Rave on,
Wes

CTSmokehouse
04-03-2007, 09:31 PM
I thought that these pics belonged in this thread. I have been having problems with the photo resizer and time. These were taken on 4/1/07, April Fools day. We are talkin' BBQ brethren here! A great time was had by all! All in jest!

First picture I labeled "Turn in". Phil was so busy helping all of us and missed most of the key points of the class that his "Turn in" "paled in Comparison!". In the picture are Poobah, Sean (Muzzlebreak) and the good DR.BBQ.

Second Picture I labeled "Paul Who?"

I took over 200 pictures... I have been told that I have a photographic memory....! ;)

The rest of the pictures I will edit and post in Kirk's thread in the woodpile.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

For some reason this post was supersized. To see the first full picture you may need to hit the arrow to the right.

Pyle's BBQ
04-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I see Paui Kirk showed up to get some pointers.

MilitantSquatter
04-03-2007, 09:38 PM
I thought that these pics belonged in this thread. I have been having problems with the photo resizer and time. These were taken on 4/1/07, April Fools day. We are talkin' BBQ brethren here! A great time was had by all! All in jest!

First picture I labeled "Turn in". Phil was so busy helping all of us and missed most of the key points of the class that his "Turn in" "paled in Comparison!". In the picture are Poobah, Sean (Muzzlebreak) and the good DR.BBQ.

Second Picture I labeled "Paul Who?"

I took over 200 pictures... I have been told that I have a photographic memory....! ;)

The rest of the pictures I will edit and post in Kirk's thread in the woodpile.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

For the record, my Spicewine turned out Doc's fine looking chicken on the right...

I think Phil cooked his in a cooler...

CTSmokehouse
04-03-2007, 09:51 PM
For the record, I tried the chicken on the right and it was superb. For the record the chicken on the left, although coolered with love was trashed!

Vinny your Spicewine turned out some great Que!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

drbbq
04-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Yes it did. That was my first Spicewine food and it was excellent.

Kirk
04-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Cliff, I'm glad you got a picture of Phil's turn in. That thing went in the trash so fast I was afraid noone got a shot of it. Good work! :-D

BBQchef33
04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
guys, i created an album in the photo gallery under competition. The permisssions were giving me trouble. anyone who has pictures, PM me and i will add you to the permission list so u can update it. we willput kirk and smokehouse in today.

drumfreak
04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Wow!!! Sounds like everybody had an AMAZING time. I am bummed that I wasn't able to attend. My boss was out of town and I had to cover for him the entire weekend. Hoping to catch up with all of you down the road. Kudos to Poobah for putting this thing together and promoting BBQ acrosss LI!!! I had the opportunity to hang with him and a bunch of the other brothers (and sisters) at the Paul Kirk class, Grilling on The Bay 2006 and at Grill Kings 2005 and 2006. Had a great time -everytime. We got one FUN AND DEDICATED group of people here. Missing some good hang time with the crew.
Happy Queing This Season!!

WannaBeBBQueen
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
This was an awesome event, thanks to Phil and the good Dr. :biggrin: It was a great chance to meet fellow brethren. I want to put out a special thanks to Guido for the use of Christine's coat *(yes I forgot mine :roll:)and to the Pollacks for allowing me the pleasure of using their wonderful spicewine (it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin!). It was great to be able to hang out with everybody, I had a great time.

Hope to see everyone real soon!

Manamana!!

Mrs. Sawdust
04-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know what the name of the chile powder the good doctor used.
My notes say "Pendervs San Antonio Red" but I cannot find anything like it.
Thanks for your help.

YankeeBBQ
04-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know what the name of the chile powder the good doctor used.
My notes say "Pendervs San Antonio Red" but I cannot find anything like it.
Thanks for your help.

Pendery's. This one ?

http://www.penderys.com/detail.aspx?ID=42137

Mrs. Sawdust
04-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Thank you.

ique
04-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Pendery's. This one ?

http://www.penderys.com/detail.aspx?ID=42137

::clicks bookmark this page::

Jorge
04-05-2007, 01:13 PM
::clicks bookmark this page::

I haven't been in their new location yet, but the old one was a great place to visit. If you ever have some time to kill in DFW it is worth the trip.

drbbq
04-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Who says I don't share my secrets? I see those two Boston guys were on it quick.

Lakeside Smoker
04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Make that THREE Boston guys :)

Mike

Kirk
04-06-2007, 09:51 AM
guys, i created an album in the photo gallery under competition. The permisssions were giving me trouble. anyone who has pictures, PM me and i will add you to the permission list so u can update it. we willput kirk and smokehouse in today.

How do I add pics to the album?
One other thing, the pics that are in the album already are posted twice. The last of the original series is the pic on page 4 of Ray and Pooh at the book signing table. After that, they repeat.

Westexbbq
04-06-2007, 10:29 AM
By the way, speaking of lost and found,
if anyone ended up with the chair that can be seen in front of James in pics 21 and 54 (partial photo of top part) please let me know.
It was not cardboard so it may still be alive.
Thanks,

BBQchef33
04-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I just got to emptying out the trailer from last week and came here to post a couple of lost and founds.

Westex.. I got your chair.

also found a spatula, wooden handle, think it was used in the baked ziti in case anyone is missing that.

KIRK... You can add photos to the album now. anyone else have photos to put up, send me a PM so i can give you the permissions to add.

Kirk
04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I...KIRK, You can add photos to the album now...
How?

MilitantSquatter
04-10-2007, 08:09 PM
I just got to emptying out the trailer from last week and came here to post a couple of lost and founds.

Westex.. I got your chair.

also found a spatula, wooden handle, think it was used in the baked ziti in case anyone is missing that.

KIRK... You can add photos to the album now. anyone else have photos to put up, send me a PM so i can give you the permissions to add.

Spatula is mine if it is clean... if moldy, green with strange chit growing on it then my memory is not so good and I don't want it to be mine any longer...

Pig Headed
04-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Good one Vinny.

BBQchef33
04-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Spatula is mine if it is clean... if moldy, green with strange chit growing on it then my memory is not so good and I don't want it to be mine any longer...

it WAS clean, but i used it to stir these up.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/P5250040.jpg

backyardchef
04-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Is that your famous chili, Phil?:tongue:

Kirk
04-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Hmmm, chili verde.

Sawdustguy
04-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Hmmm, chili verde.

Hmmmmmm good! :eek:

Bigmista
04-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Who knew Phil put mushrooms in the chili?

MilitantSquatter
04-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Who knew Phil put mushrooms in the chili?

Oh... I thought his secret was mini marshmallows

BigBarry
04-11-2007, 08:59 PM
it WAS clean, but i used it to stir these up.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o45/bbqchef33/P5250040.jpg

That's Poobah's Psychedelic, groove-a-licious, funk-a-delic chili!!!

It's a green...no, red.....wow, it's purple...whoa it's blue chili, man.

The_Kapn
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
That's Poobah's Psychedelic, groove-a-licious, funk-a-delic chili!!!

It's a green...no, red.....wow, it's purple...whoa it's blue chili, man.

Looks like 'shrooms or toad stools to me.

Kinda like a "White Rabbit/Go Ask Alice" kinda day on Long Island.
That would explain a lot. :lol:

TIM

Westexbbq
04-11-2007, 10:43 PM

TIM

I have tried to exercise great restraint, until now.......
must sign off,
g'nite.

Jorge
04-12-2007, 08:54 AM

TIM

I'm too young to understand such psychodelic references8-)

BBQchef33
04-12-2007, 08:58 AM
oh jeez...

thats a pot of BEANS..!!! made it for the boy scouts. Ron_l will remember that evening. The pot was forgotten in the yard for a week and i had me some penicliin when i found it.

one important thing...

there aint no beans in my Chili !!