PDA

View Full Version : snacks

big blue bbq
03-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Any good ideas for what to cook on Friday for snacks for the visitors at the comp. Do they usually have people paying to get in on Friday like they do on Saturday? Do you need things for them to try on Friday as well? I am open for suggestions!:icon_bigsmil

Bigmista
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Fatties, ABT's, Armadillo Eggs, Bagna Cauda, Cheesy Bread, Brats, Pizza, Falafel...who said that?!?! Smoked Bologna, Barbecued cabage...

The list goes on and on. Just click "Search" at the top and type in one of these terms. You will get LOTS of ideas.

MilitantSquatter
03-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Larry - Are you referring to personal friends & family or spectators ?

If you just mean spectators, be careful... feed one or two and you'll end up being asked to be fed by many more...

Bentley
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I had hear long ago a gal back in my hometown of Fresno say she had the best smoke bologna somewhere like Pear Blossem or somewhere out there in the desert. Does anyone know the best place to get a full bologna chubb? Might try smoking that sometime.

big blue bbq
03-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I was hoping for more the family and friends type. I did not know exactly what was expected with the spectators.

The_Kapn
03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
We just do not cook BBQ for folks on Fri--cookers and meat are prepped and ready for the comp. We just mooch off the other teams and many of the contests down here cook steaks and stuff for Fri night :lol:

But, nothing wrong with cooking up stuff as you see fit for family and friends on Fri.
Keep it short and simple.
Most of the stuff listed in this thread above can be prepped in advance, like ABTs and Fatties and Eggs.
Chicken and poultry work well for a short cook.
Just remember, if you make a mess, ya gotta clean it all up and get ready for the main show starting later that night! :lol:
KISS!

Good luck and have fun!

TIM

Fredbird
03-15-2007, 09:17 PM
I was hoping for more the family and friends type. I did not know exactly what was expected with the spectators.

You're not expected to feed the spectators, unless there is people's choice, buck a bone or some other type of similar event at the competion.

As noted before, be careful you could have a crowd!:eek: :eek:

Bigmista
03-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I had hear long ago a gal back in my hometown of Fresno say she had the best smoke bologna somewhere like Pear Blossem or somewhere out there in the desert. Does anyone know the best place to get a full bologna chubb? Might try smoking that sometime.

I think Albertson's might have them in the deli section. If not try a local deli. Guiliano's is a good one in the South Bay. Don't know about Pasadena.

Dale P
03-16-2007, 08:10 AM
We keep a pan of peanuts roasting on the firebox at all times just because it is great with beer. We like to give snacks to people and make some of the same things as Mista, bologna, abt's, chicken roll ups, fatties, ect. Last year a team next to us served bbq bananas that were a huge hit. If I only would have got the recipe. I thought the sweet taste was needed after eating and smelling meat for 2 days. Sharing is a big part of the fun for us. And the recieving too.

Puppyboy
03-16-2007, 08:37 AM
This is what they are doing at the contest next month. It is optional.

http://www.smokeinthespring.com/events.php

I am not cooking for the general public, but am thinking of tossing some fatties on for my team to munch on.

MoKanMeathead
03-16-2007, 09:38 AM
If it is just the team we will grill uip some bratts or something. If it is one of the 4 party contests for us or we invite other guests we will do the whole thing ribs, butt, cheesy taters, beans, ABTs, fatties, etc.

Hey Puppyboy - good choice on not doing the vending thing at Osage City, especially if you are new to this. It can be a lot of work...but also a good way to recover some expenses. We never do the "Buck-a-Bone" thing but usually will cook peoples choice because it helps the organizer draw a crowd. I know we all complain occasionally about the public but if a contest doesn't get the public to come and support their cause (charity, whatever) then they will stop having BBQ contests.

SP
03-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Last year at Osage w were by that basketball court where alot of tables were. We had so many people come up to us it was crazy. There were not to many vendors like the year before, so I guess that why there are doing the buck a bone. I try not to feed the public unless its after a comp and I dont want to take it with me. I will give a sample if someone comes up to me and asks questions and in interested in Q but as for the people just looking for handouts. Nope.

Greendriver
03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I saw DrBBQ cook a big hunk o bologna at a show last year and he quartered it length wise and rubbed it and had some bbq'd pineapple to serve with it along with some bread or crackers or something. I would also suggest the pig candy as there is hardly any work or clean up to it and it's good. Also you can prepare in advance which is what we did with the meatballs and sauce which we fixed wend night and packed up along with all the other coolered stuff (sauce in a jar, balls in a gal baggie).

parrothead
03-16-2007, 02:48 PM
balls in a gal baggie

?????

Greendriver
03-16-2007, 02:58 PM
?????

well a guy on our high school basketball team used a flour sack for his.

big blue bbq
03-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Pupboy,
That sounds like fun. Once I get the whole contest thing down I would like to do something like that. I know the first comp I was looking at doing is in Benton KY and they have a concession permit you can buy and sell on Friday night and Saturday. May think about doing that next year. If we can use one of the pits for that on Friday and one for the butts and brisket we should be able to pull something off and get some money back for future competitions or all the NEEDED/ (wanted mod)!!!! stuff. Have any of you done this? It did not sound like the buck a bone, just more like selling a plate dinner maybe. I was not going so I did not check into it to much.

G$
03-16-2007, 05:39 PM
last year a team next to us served bbq bananas that were a huge hit. If I only would have got the recipe. I thought the sweet taste was needed after eating and smelling meat for 2 days. Sharing is a big part of the fun for us. And the recieving too.

I have done a similar thing:
Take some bananas and slice lengthwise, not quite all the way through, leaving them IN the peel. In the resulting slit, stuff chocochips, nuts, and marshmallows in there, and wrap in foil. Place in the coals for 15 minutes. Un wrap, and serve. (Or unwrap and top with ice cream/ whipped cream and serve).

Perfect thing to eat after 3 pounds of meat.