PDA

View Full Version : A New NY Barbecue Place?????

timzcardz
03-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Georgia Barbecue On The Lower East Side
http://therealestate.observer.com/2007/03/georgia-barbecue-on-the-lower-east-side.html

New Hampshire native Alan Natkiel, 31, will open Georgia's East Side Barbecue...

Georgia's East Side Barbecue will serve "classic Southern food like barbecue, hamburgers and hot dogs," according to Mr. Natkiel. "I've spent a fair amount of time down South," he told The Real Estate. "People in New York are not aware of real barbecue.

Is it just me, or does anyone else in NY find this insulting?

A 31YO from NH is going to open a BBQ place in NYC and says that people in NY are not aware of real BBQ?? Oh wait a minute he did spend "a fair amount of time down south."

And he is going to serve classic southern food like ... hamburgers and hot dogs??

For his sake, I certainly hope that his cooking is better than his public relations skills!

I'm all for more Que in NY, but why is it that we get no respect? I can almost understand it from people from KC, or Texas, etc., but from NH?? Last time I checked the map, NY was still further south.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Bigmista
03-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Nothing like those southern hot dogs. The secret ingredient is...

MUSTARD!

Cue's Your Daddy
03-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Real New York BBQ is par boiled and liquid smoke. And he means down south in New Jersey.

RichardF
03-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes - Mr. Natkiel saves NYC and brings the "real" taste of Q to the City. He does have a point, 95% of New Yorkers think BBQ is hot dogs and burgers on the grill, and that ribs should be slathered in sauce after spending at least some time in boiling water. Most have no idea that brisket is BBQ or that a sandwedge made from a pig doesn't have to be ham or bacon. There are infinitely more people in NYC that can tell you with detail the grapes and wines that come from different growing regions around the world compared to those that know the differences between Q from Texas and KC, much less Owensboro and Lexington. NYC considers itself a town of experts on everything, including Q, but most of those willing or wanting to give a critique know nothing.

backyardchef
03-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I like that he comes from N.H. but wants to open the eyes of New Yorkers to 'real barbecue.'

I didn't realize that New Hampshire was such a 'que mecca.....

I agree w/ Richard F., but I think New Yorkers are learning. That old way of thinking is changing.....and once when I was in Kansas City, there were people lined up to eat at the K.C. Masterpiece restaurant....Were those the 'que experts of Missouri.....?:eek:

pigmaker23
03-13-2007, 05:18 PM
With a $5,500 a month rent payment, I hope he sells a lot of something, this location has had a few tenants since 2000, time will tell

big brother smoke
03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Talking like that his Q better be acceptable.

Muzzlebrake
03-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Yes - Mr. Natkiel saves NYC and brings the "real" taste of Q to the City. He does have a point, 95% of New Yorkers think BBQ is hot dogs and burgers on the grill, and that ribs should be slathered in sauce after spending at least some time in boiling water. Most have no idea that brisket is BBQ or that a sandwedge made from a pig doesn't have to be ham or bacon. There are infinitely more people in NYC that can tell you with detail the grapes and wines that come from different growing regions around the world compared to those that know the differences between Q from Texas and KC, much less Owensboro and Lexington. NYC considers itself a town of experts on everything, including Q, but most of those willing or wanting to give a critique know nothing.

yeah OK well lets be honest here, that not only describes NYers but most Americans. I dont think that all of those chain joints came up with thier recipe to just please the NYC palate.

As far as a NH native trying to show us whats up, well as you NYers know it dont matter where you are from, you better have chops boy! All talk dont get you very far in the Big Apple! Remember it aint braggin if you back it up.

What I find insulting is that he thinks he can bring a good ]hot dog to NY? Are you kidding me? Hell long before Rudy rousted all the street vendors, the NY Hot Dog had achieved a legendary status bordering on art.
I mean what is better than a Sabrett with mustard, kraut and onions (and you NYers know what I mean by onions).

Westexbbq
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Let's see;
Georgia BBQ on NYC East side by a 31 year old lad from New Hampshire?
True, most Noo Yawkers would consider bbq grilling a few hot dogs, hamburgers or steaks on the hibatchi on the terrace but I firmly believe the conciousness is being raised for many folks on the concept of good old fashioned "low and slow bbq" whether it be "southern style or Texas/Southwest style. This is due to the rise in the sheer number of BBQ restaurants that have opened up along with the success of folks like Daisy Mays, Rub and others that are righteous.
Now, this cat may have some PR repair work to do or his tongue may have been firmly planted in cheek when he was quoted, though probably not.
Guess we will have to see how it all shakes out and perhaps a visit is worth the trip to check it out.
Mustard on hot dogs and hamburgers, is there any other way?

timzcardz
03-13-2007, 07:04 PM
What I find insulting is that he thinks he can bring a good ]hot dog to NY? Are you kidding me? Hell long before Rudy rousted all the street vendors, the NY Hot Dog had achieved a legendary status bordering on art.
I mean what is better than a Sabrett with mustard, kraut and onions (and you NYers know what I mean by onions).

Well that's part of it. Let's face it, if selling hot dogs and paying $5500/month in rent is his business plan, I have a bridge to sell him! (And bridges really is my business!)

Wine & Swine
03-14-2007, 08:38 AM
$5,500/mo in Manhattan would seem like a bargain (I've run places that were 30k+++) but it is the square footage that is the problem 600sqft. is not much room to work with (especially if you are doing "authentic bbq" requiring a large commercial smoker). By the time you factor in taxes, insurance, the buyout on the lease (the are never free in Manhattan), a 8-15k smoker, renovation, etc. with take out only with no liquor, you would have to sell alot of hot dogs. But you never no, I wish him luck no matter what.