PDA

View Full Version : Dr. BBQ's Real Deal Comp. Class

gstanle
03-10-2007, 11:02 AM
This is killing me :icon_smil

It's 0900 on Saturday morning, I'm sitting in my hotel room in San Jose, CA staring at the clock, and it's not moving fast enough!!!! I'm waiting for 1130 to get here so I can go over to the DR. BBQ class and start setting up.

I stopped by Rock's BBQ yesterday and visited with John. He's the guy that invented the Stoker Controller. He's also taking the class. That stoker system is awesome.

I had dinner with Ray and a couple of other's who are also taking the class last night. One guy flew in from Colorado to take the class. We had a great dinner, and some good conversation. Ray is a very personable guy. I don't know why, but I 1/2 expected him to to have somewhat of a big ego. I was wrong, he's not like that at all. I can tell he's going to put on a great class, and we're gonna learn a lot from him.

I just looked at the clock again, and it's still not moving :mad:

I think I'm gonna go for a run, and try to burn off some of this energy, and try to burn some time off the clock.

I'll report back afterr the class.

Bigmista
03-10-2007, 11:04 AM
We will be anxious to hear how it went Glen.

Dustaway
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
will be awaiting a report:shock:

ThomEmery
03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Larry Hill Tells me he is having a great time sent his Brother to buy Pizzas to cook on the FEC.
Glen I am really glad you got to go.

JohnMcD348
03-11-2007, 08:18 AM
What? No Spam....

gstanle
03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Lessons I learned at this class:

#1 I have heard people say that the instructors in these classes hold back the really good information, and don’t give up their true secrets and techniques. I don’t believe this is true, and I don’t believe it was true for this class either. Dr. BBQ gave us tons of excellent information, he answered all of our questions without hesitation, and he took us through a BBQ competition the way he would go through one. I was on information overload about ½ way through the class.

Besides, the class is called “Dr. BBQ’s Real Deal Competition Class” not “ I’ll Just Give Away All My Hard Earned Techniques And Secrets That Took Me 25 Long Years To Develop Class.”

I have also heard people (who have actually attended one of these classes) say it will take years off your competition BBQ learning curve. I now know for a fact that this is the true statement.

#2 When Brent (QN4U), or anyone for that matter hands you a knife and says “Be careful, it’s REALLY sharp,” they REALLY mean it. Also, those little metal serrated edges on the aluminum foil box are sharp too.

#3 Even though Dr. BBQ’s rub doesn’t taste salty, it still burns pretty good when you get it in your eye, and in your cuts.

#4 Rubber medical gloves don’t provide the same level of heat protection that leather welders gloves do. I switched tasks in a hurry, and didn’t switch gloves. Damn, those metal grates get hot…..

#5 If you don’t wrap your brisket with foil the right way, and don’t take care moving it from the warmer chest to the table, all those hot juices that have accumulated inside will run out onto you leg. Damn, those juices stay hot…..

#6 This was probably the most important lesson I learned: People who are 6’-5” tall don’t work well under EZ-Ups that are raised to 6’-2” high. I think I must have hit my head about 15 times. Once, I hit it so hard I actually bit my tongue.

#7 San Jose is a long drive from Mission Viejo. It’s a REALLY long drive when your going on about an hours worth of sleep, and all you want to do is take a long hot shower, crawl into your own bed, and get about 10 hours sleep.

I drove home from this class dead tired and sore. I had cuts on my fingers and on my tongue, burns on my hands and leg, and several bumps on my head. I was sweaty, dirty, smelled like I spent the night inside someone’s chimney, and had BBQ sauce in places that I have absolutely no explanation for how it got there. And yet I drove home thinking this was one of the best times I have ever had. I learned so much from Ray Lampe, and I met so many great BBQ people. I have a new found confidence in my ability to break into this sport. And I can’t wait until this weekend so I can practice what I learned.

I also drove home thinking I should change my team name to "BBQ By Clutz"

Thanks to Ray Lampe for putting on such a great class. He is a very good instructor, and lots of fun to talk to, and be around.

I also want to thank Brent Walton (QN4U) and Dan Cannon (BBQ by Dan) for helping me become one with my smoker. For a while there, I had visions of running my WSM’s over with my truck…..

I would highly recommend one of these classes, especially to someone who is new to this sport. It’s much better to learn from someone else’s mistakes, than to learn from your own.

Pig Headed
03-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Damn, how are you still standing? Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for the report. Is your next class going to be EMT school?

biffleg
03-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Nice report ... hope to take one of his classes one day!

The_Kapn
03-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Great report on the class.

Ray has forgotten more than I will ever know about BBQ, for sure!

Thanks,

TIM

smooookin
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
sounds like a lot of fun and i am sure you learned a smoker load that will pay off down the line. BTW, did you happen to notice a first aid class near by? LOL

Bigmista
03-13-2007, 06:34 PM
BBQlutz? Hmmm...it might work.

Glad you had a great time Glen!

gstanle
03-13-2007, 06:45 PM
I'll be adding a big first aid kit, a helmet, and body armor to my list of BBQ equipment.

gstanle
03-13-2007, 07:44 PM
I went shopping for some BBQ equipment today. I got a BBQ helmet and knee pads. Check me out:

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u81/gstanle/th_Benchwarmers_060518123138631_widewe.jpg

Pyle's BBQ
03-13-2007, 07:52 PM
I drove home from this class dead tired and sore. I had cuts on my fingers and on my tongue, burns on my hands and leg, and several bumps on my head. I was sweaty, dirty, smelled like I spent the night inside someoneís chimney, and had BBQ sauce in places that I have absolutely no explanation for how it got there. And yet I drove home thinking this was one of the best times I have ever had. I learned so much from Ray Lampe, and I met so many great BBQ people. I have a new found confidence in my ability to break into this sport. And I canít wait until this weekend so I can practice what I learned.

So now that you are hooked.....

swamprb
03-14-2007, 05:06 AM
Great report Glen! You cooked on your WSM, what were some of the others cooking on? I'm looking forward to the class in Salem OR. in May!

Brian

gstanle
03-14-2007, 08:55 AM
Bryan,

Being that this is my first year doing this, I'm gonna start off with a couple of backyard events, and continue to volunteer to be a gofer for some of our more experienced teams. I have a couple of smaller (8-12 teams) comps. and two bigger (50+ teams) comps. spread out over the course of 2007 that I hope to do.

If I don't maim or kill myself in the process, I would hope to continue on with even more comps. in 2008. The great thing is that BBQ is really growing out here in the west. We have more comps. added each year, with some big plans for the future of our sport. It's really kinda cool to be a part of that growth, and to see it taking off like it is.

Brian,

Big Green Egg was one of the sponsors, so they had quite a few of those. Lots of WSM's, a Tucker trailer rig, a Klose backyard smoker that was modified and mounted on a trailer, a Stumps gravity feed (very cool), a handful of Fast Eddy Cookers, a Pits & Spits, A huge FEC mounted on a trailer, several Brinkmann & New Branf. off-sets, a small Backwoods, and a Caldera. I thinks that's about it.....