PDA

View Full Version : Big Daddy's, Massepequa, NY

motoeric
02-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi,

I wanted to try Seconds BBQ (Amityville) again today after hearing some very good things but, alas, they were closed. So... I continued down the road and went to Big Daddys which is about 5 minutes away.

The Good

Ok, better than good - the atmosphere was fantastic. I'm sure that most of their customers are regulars due to the ambience. Live band, lively atmosphere, mardi gras decorations etc.

I ordered the combo plate with sauce on the side. It came to about $28.00 with tax. It came with beans, cole slaw, brisket, pulled pork, ribs and 1/4 chicken. The food was plentiful and I got it quickly during a VERY busy night.

The sauces were excellent. Really great and very original. They were three different sauces, each a graduating degree of spicy. They were a sort of mustard/vinagrette(sp?) sauce.

The chicken was fantastic. Very smoky, nice taste.

The coleslaw had no mayo at all and was also very, very good.

The corn bread had jalapenos in it and was nice but a bit dry.

The Bad

These actually weren't bad, more like average.
The ribs were decent for a normal restaurant. For a bbq place they were below average. Which is a bit of a surprise, as their ribs at Grill Kings were excellent.

The brisket was thin cut and nice, with a delicate smoky flavor.

The Bad

The pulled pork was horrible. Really bad. It seemed like it was boiled instead of smoked.

The baked beans were just downright nasty. Yuck. A complete mess. They seemed to have been sitting in a steamer for days on end. They were a congealed disaster without flavor.

Hope this helps!

Eric