PDA

View Full Version : Competition Beans Question

tony76248
02-18-2007, 09:13 AM
How do you cook competition beans when you can't use propane or electricity? My wife and I have a competition next week. She wants to enter the beans category. We will be using our Stumps 223. Would you just place the beans in a cast iron pot with lid and toss them in the bottom of the smoker? I guess this is one advantage to an offset.

Ron_L
02-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure if the restriction on using propane carries over to the non-sanctioned categories in all competitions. The one comp that we go to that includes a bean category doesn't put restrictions on how you cook them so we use a propane burner.

If there is a restriction, you could cook the beans in a dutch oven in your pit (if you have room). Just allow extra time. Or, you could use the "cowboy" method with the dutch oven and lay down a bed of coals, put the DO on top of the coals and then more coals on top of the DO.

Or... Build a small fire and hang the DO above the fire on a tripod (like you were camping out).

Jeff_in_KC
02-18-2007, 09:43 AM
We make up our recipe and put in an aluminum pan uncovered anywhere in the smoker for about 4 hours. I like to see a bit of "bean bark" on the surface that I can mix into the beans when I stir them. Always turns out really good. We got 4th in beans at Grand Rapids, MI last year. It was the only time we did that category.

Jorge
02-18-2007, 10:03 AM
How do you cook competition beans when you can't use propane or electricity? My wife and I have a competition next week. She wants to enter the beans category. We will be using our Stumps 223. Would you just place the beans in a cast iron pot with lid and toss them in the bottom of the smoker? I guess this is one advantage to an offset.

Sounds like the plan to me. IBCA, LSBS? I don't ever remember an exception to the wood/wood product rule for beans in either organization, but it's been a while.

SloppyQ
02-18-2007, 10:55 AM
Do as your thinking but don't use the lid the whole time, let drippings help the beans.

tony76248
02-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Sawdustguy
02-18-2007, 09:25 PM

You could use a charcoal or wood grill also. Remember a smoker is just a big oven.

tony76248
03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Turns out you can use anything you want on jackpot beans.

chromesporty
03-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Tony-You cookin in Kaufman next week?

Mooner
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
As far as I know the only thing you cant use propane on is the actual competition meat. Because there are many categories at a competition other than meat I have always seen people with camp stoves and turkey friers with big pots and such. i have actually called KCBS on this and they said the only way you could get into trouble is if you were actually cooking a peice of competition meat you were planning on having judged in a propane cooker.

tony76248
03-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Tony-You cookin in Kaufman next week?

I was going to but we are doing West next weekend. Lotta logistics to attend to. It would be great to do one every weekend.....but we would be wiped out.

chromesporty
03-08-2007, 08:24 PM
I'll be in West Friday morning. See ya there.

Wayne
03-10-2007, 12:56 AM
When you say competition beans it reminds me of Jerry Clower and the Competitive Fartin' story.

Solidkick
03-10-2007, 05:48 AM
When you say competition beans it reminds me of Jerry Clower and the Competitive Fartin' story.

LOL....I wondered who would go there!http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/images/smilies/clap.gif