PDA

View Full Version : What do you use at a comp?

SP
02-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Had a little discussion this weekend about contests. I was asked' "What rubs and sauces I used at a competition?' Then I was asked, "Do alot of team make their own or use store bought?" I thought I should post it to the Bretheran. So a question to the Bretheran competitiors, What rubs or sauced do you use. If you wish to list what you use Im sure some might appreicate it.
Personally I make all my rubs and sauced for comps.

Sawdustguy
02-12-2007, 12:23 PM
My rubs are my own and I used a doctored up commercial sauce for ribs. There are some other little diddys I use but I choose not to reveal them.

cmcadams
02-12-2007, 12:31 PM
We do them all ourselves. We think we could possibly do better with 'proven' rubs/sauces, but we agreed we wanted to do it this way, at least for now. Our ribbons are just that much sweeter. :)

SP
02-12-2007, 12:52 PM
We do them all ourselves. We think we could possibly do better with 'proven' rubs/sauces, but we agreed we wanted to do it this way, at least for now. Our ribbons are just that much sweeter. :)

Thats my thought too Curt.

Plowboy
02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
We use both our own and commercial. Sauces get doctored a bit. We use more commercial stuff than not.

lunchlady
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
we go both ways....heheh. I find that funny, but the rest of the meats may not. Personally, I prefer our homemade rubs and sauces to the commercial ones, but it is not my call to make.

Bigmista
02-12-2007, 01:28 PM
We use all of our own sauces and rubs.

The Anchorman
02-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Do you make you own or use store bought rubs and sauces?
Store Bought
Make then all myself
I use both hoemade and store bought.

Copied From the Poll Posted

That depends, who is the Hoe that is making them?

ggriffi
02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
I use both homemade and store bought. The rubs thatI use are store bought. The sauce is my version of Mike Mills Apple City sauce from his book.

gary

SP
02-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Do you make you own or use store bought rubs and sauces?
Store Bought
Make then all myself
I use both hoemade and store bought.

Copied From the Poll Posted

That depends, who is the Hoe that is making them?

Yea I really need to reread my stuff because I also put make then instaed of them.:confused:

cmcadams
02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Yea I really need to reread my stuff because I also put make then instaed of them.:confused: and instaed instead of instead. :-P

SP
02-12-2007, 02:24 PM
and instaed instead of instead. :-P

Damn Public Skools:biggrin:

big blue bbq
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I use recipe's from Mike Mills book and change them up some. I also use some store bought sauces and change them too. Sometimes I play with all my own stuff, but that gets scary.

Sledneck
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I use plowboy rub and blueshog sauce:biggrin:

Muzzlebrake
02-12-2007, 06:04 PM
wow I am kind of shocked that so few make all of their own stuff. I think that is as much a part of the fun as anything else. I cant even remember the last bottle of BBQ sauce I have bought.
Havent seen too many rubs for sale locally so just always made my own.
If i use anything not made in house, I might try a commmercial marinade or hot sauce but thats about it.

Greendriver
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Buying it all...but it's goooood.

spicewine
02-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I use all of my own stuff!! Rubs Sauce ect. I fit in all of the poll catagories and ----Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! We win sometimes. Don't tell!!

Spice

Plowboy
02-12-2007, 07:16 PM
I use plowboy rub and blueshog sauce:biggrin:

Suck up. :wink:

MilitantSquatter
02-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I exclusively use commerial rub & sauces. I'll occasionally tweak as needed with basic stuff like sugar, salt, pepper or mix with juice for a sauce if I really feel it's missing something.

I still enjoy occassionally creating a rub or sauce at home, but there are lots of high quality products for sale out there that can get the job done too.... I also don't mind supporting some of these small scale guys out there...

rbsnwngs
02-13-2007, 05:59 AM
i use all my own rubs and sauces

Roo-B-Q'N
02-13-2007, 08:38 AM
We use all homemade. That way we can tweak as needed.

Pssssst Sawdustyuy doesn't want to reveal his little diddy pass it on

Sylvie
02-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I use and make my own rubs and sauces.

Chick'n Pig BBQ
02-13-2007, 05:14 PM
My wife Denise makes all of our rubs and sauces.

Kung Fu BBQ
02-13-2007, 07:07 PM
We use all our own stuff.
I personally cannot make a sauce that is even halfway decent. But the lord hath shineth upon one of my team mates.... his sauces are like bbq crack.

WannaBeBBQueen
02-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Hubby does all the rubs and I do all the sauces :)

chromesporty
03-07-2007, 08:56 PM
First comp in two weeks, but I'll use my own rubs and sauces.

Rub
03-07-2007, 09:11 PM
I make my own stuff, but don't use it.

Norcoredneck
03-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Pretty much use store bought stuff, but then again the only comp I've been in is getting the food done before the family get's impatient and orders pizza! Does it count as commercial when Mista kicks down with rub and sauce?

CritterCook
09-15-2007, 07:49 AM
I've always made my own rub, and just recently began using my own "hoe"made sauce. My comp results are improving, so I think I'll stick with it!

Cabntmkr1
09-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I make all of my own rubs, and 60% of the time my better half makes the BBQ sauce, 40% we buy Curly's.
I. too, am surprised that more of us don't make our own stuff.:eek:

Jeff Hughes
09-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I use store bought by various comp cooks.

But, you never know what is going to score. In Claremore(49 teams) this year, I forgot all of my rubs. I got some Rock Yer World brisket rub from Ring of Fire. I ran to the store to pick up some Head Country to doctor up for my chicken and butts. For ribs, I picked up some McCormick Pork Rub, the mix looked good. Damn if I didn't take 2nd in Ribs that day...

Bigmista
09-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Does it count as commercial when Mista kicks down with rub and sauce?

Nope. That's just love for my Brother!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
09-15-2007, 03:25 PM
wife would yell at me if i used store bought. Thats like turning in LLoyd's pulled pork at comp, just isnt right. I would rather loose with my stuff then win with store bought.

Sawdustguy
09-15-2007, 06:25 PM
wife would yell at me if i used store bought. Thats like turning in LLoyd's pulled pork at comp, just isnt right. I would rather loose with my stuff then win with store bought.

Take it from someone who used to think like you, you may take a very long time before you win. Even the teams that win on a very frequent basis use commercial product. It took us a while, but we began to realize that it is fruitless to reinvent the wheel. Concentrate on cooking each catagory perfectly instead of worrying about making your own rubs and sauces. I know this from experience.

CTSmokehouse
09-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Take it from someone who used to think like you, you may take a very long time before you win. Even the teams that win on a very frequent basis use commercial product. It took us a while, but we began to realize that it is fruitless to reinvent the wheel. Concentrate on cooking each catagory perfectly instead of worrying about making your own rubs and sauces. I know this from experience.

I have believed for a long time that it's not what you put on your food that counts, it's how you cook it... if you cook it perfectly it will be appreciated, regardless of what rub or sauce that you use.. though it should not push the envelope!

I agree in not reinventing the wheel... but being creative and tweeking it to make it stand out above the others is what it is all all about...

Yours in BBQ

Cliff

AlabamaGrillBillies
09-17-2007, 03:19 PM
All of the rubs we use are comercial. Plowboys on our chicken and some others on the other catagories. Basically found out for the money we cannot creat a rub that is onpar with a good comerical rub. Ok, that's a half azz way of saying theirs are just better dangIT. We use modified comercial sauces for chicken and ribs, but make our own for brisket and pulled pork

Neal
09-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Do you raise, kill and butcher the cows, pigs and chickens too? Now, don't get me wrong...I know a few guys who DO actually cook the product they raise. But c'mon...why try to reinvent the wheel?

lazyjacres
09-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I use my rub, and a combination of doctored up sauces........

Kung Fu BBQ
09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
whats all this "reinvent the wheel" stuff. You guys are killing me.
Did McDonalds, use burger kings recipe?
Does KFC buy it's seasoning from Popeyes?

What I BBQ is mine, when people eat it and smile it's mine, it's not someone elses pride and joy and all I did was tend the fire.

I have a hundred things in my head right now but they would all come off negative so I'll keep my trap shut.

HoDeDo
09-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I used to make all of my own stuff - but instead have figured out what I like, and I tend to buy commercially as close to what I liked to make as possible. typically, it is less expensive, and less time consuming, and what you get is more consistant. I do this for rub and sauce. I still make alot of my own concoctions for home use, but for comps - all commercial or doctored commercial.

And what I use is no secret:
Plowboys Yardbird rub
Slabs Perk up your Pork
The good Dr. BBQ's injection recipes
Four Men & a Pig Sauce
Blues Hog sauces.

Neal
09-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Agree 100% Andy.
You can give 2 people identical racks of ribs and the exact same rub, then let them cook it their way. You will get a different product every time. It's how you use it, not what you use. It's way more than just tending a fire.

I would rather spend my time becoming a better, more consistant cook than mixing spices and sauces when they are thousands of great ones already there to choose from. That doesn't mean I don't mix something up from time to time - but there is a reason a good commercial rub is succesful - it is proven.

Plowboy
09-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Agree 100% Andy.
You can give 2 people identical racks of ribs and the exact same rub, then let them cook it their way. You will get a different product every time. It's how you use it, not what you use. It's way more than just tending a fire.

I would rather spend my time becoming a better, more consistant cook than mixing spices and sauces when they are thousands of great ones already there to choose from. That doesn't mean I don't mix something up from time to time - but there is a reason a good commercial rub is succesful - it is proven.

Commercial rubs often can control their grind and use fresher spices than available to most. Its hard to beat what goes into a good commercial rub.

The Giggler
09-18-2007, 07:56 AM
My rubs are my own and I used a doctored up commercial sauce for ribs. There are some other little diddys I use but I choose not to reveal them.

Guy - Speakin' of rubs, anything arrive in your mailbox?

We use mostly commerical rubs and sauces. Of course, they get a little customization.

We have a contest next week, and I am really torn. Our pork has finished 2nd and 5th at this contest, with a sweet/vinegar sauce that we make from scratch. Not sure if we'll use it or not.

AlabamaGrillBillies
09-18-2007, 08:07 AM
I've noticed a couple of products mentioned more than once here. Also in other similar polls I've found some of the same ones to pop up. Its nice to see one of our own on that list. If you haven't tried Plowboy's Yardbird Rub out you are missing out. Same can be said for the Blues Hog products. Their rub, and original sauce (fixed up a little) is what we use on ribs. I've thought about mixing up their Tenn. Red and Original sauce Half and Half to see what that would taste like.

SP
09-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Im thinking about getting opinions on my rubs and sauces that do well in comps. IF anyone interested I might send out samples. Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

BBQ_Mayor
09-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I buy all mine. Why recreate the wheel. There are so many greats rubs and sauces to choose from, you should eventually find something that agrees with your pallet. I'm still waiting for a good pork sauce.:-D

ique
09-18-2007, 12:21 PM
What I BBQ is mine, when people eat it and smile it's mine, it's not someone elses pride and joy and all I did was tend the fire.

I have a hundred things in my head right now but they would all come off negative so I'll keep my trap shut.

So do you harvest your own sea salt? Dry your own garlic powder? Raise your own hogs? Make your own charcoal?

There is very little difference in going into a market and buying Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder and Sugar and mixing your on rub vs. buying a commercial rub with basically the same ingredients and tweaking to your preference.

acorette
09-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Wherever I can, I do make my own rubs and sauces, and I either use the best ingredients I can find or I make them myself. My homemade cider vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients. Pickled garlic and peppers (homegrown and homecanned) show up in my sauces a lot. I like to have my hands in as much of it as possible. That's a good chunk of the love that goes into this great hobby.

Aaron

Smokin Hank
09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm a newby in the competition world but think that making the rub and sauce is just part of the love. I go to the library and get all of the books I can plus the posts and recepies by the people who have been there and done that, talk to the competitors at comps, thank you all very much, then make my own from the ideas they suggest. I make a K.C. style sauce with a chipotle/cayanne finish, sweet but the flavor lingers for a long time.

jbrink01
09-18-2007, 03:42 PM
We made our own pork and chicken rub as a derivative from Alton Brown's on Good Eats, with a few modifications. We have it ground and packaged to our spec's and recipe for sale and vending but we kick the heat up a bit for contests. We make about 300 pounds a year. We use commercial rub for beef, with minor modifications.

We buy our sauce and make minor changes.

Sawdustguy
09-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Guy - Speakin' of rubs, anything arrive in your mailbox?

We use mostly commerical rubs and sauces. Of course, they get a little customization.

We have a contest next week, and I am really torn. Our pork has finished 2nd and 5th at this contest, with a sweet/vinegar sauce that we make from scratch. Not sure if we'll use it or not.

Not as of today but I can't hardly wait to give it a try.

Sawdustguy
09-18-2007, 05:45 PM
whats all this "reinvent the wheel" stuff. You guys are killing me.
Did McDonalds, use burger kings recipe?
Does KFC buy it's seasoning from Popeyes?

How many Grand Championships have you won or how many walks have you taken at a contest using your own rubs?:evil:

scottyd
09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Commercial rubs often can control their grind and use fresher spices than available to most. Its hard to beat what goes into a good commercial rub.

agreed!!!

LostNation
09-20-2007, 07:45 AM
I use 100% of my own rub and about 75% of my own sauce. After New Holland I believe I'll re-think my chicken flavor profile and change to a different rub for Dover. This weekend will be a big practice weekend for me.

DawgPhan
09-20-2007, 08:11 AM
I used to make my own sauces and rubs, but I am switching to fully commerical at my next event down in Coweta County. Going with Homebbq.com beef rub on the brisket, homebbq.com rib rub on the ribs, Homebbq.com sauce, head country sauce, smoking guns mild on my pork, and will probably just adjust everything at the last minute before it goes into the box with honey or apple juice.

I switched to Homebbq.com brisket rub a while back and my brisket jumped from a 129 to a 159 in dillard. I didnt really change anything but the rub. Certainly lead me away from wanting to create my own stuff and just go with proven flavors and focus on the perfectly cooked meat...also homebbq.com will be at coweta county so it will be interesting to see if I can beat him with his own products...

The_Kapn
09-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I used to make my own sauces and rubs, but I am switching to fully commerical at my next event down in Coweta County. Going with Homebbq.com beef rub on the brisket, homebbq.com rib rub on the ribs, Homebbq.com sauce, head country sauce, smoking guns mild on my pork, and will probably just adjust everything at the last minute before it goes into the box with honey or apple juice.

I switched to Homebbq.com brisket rub a while back and my brisket jumped from a 129 to a 159 in dillard. I didnt really change anything but the rub. Certainly lead me away from wanting to create my own stuff and just go with proven flavors and focus on the perfectly cooked meat...also homebbq.com will be at coweta county so it will be interesting to see if I can beat him with his own products...

Congrats,

You have discovered the "Magic Twanger" for comp BBQ down here :lol:

As you know, the cook still has to do his job, but Kevin takes care of the sauce and rub part of the process perfectly!
Good luck on beating Kevin----I will die a happy cooker if I ever can.
Even on one meat at one event. :oops: :oops:

Good luck!

TIM

Lakeside Smoker
09-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I never understood why people say 'if you don't make your own sauces, its not YOUR BBQ'. That makes no sense. You trimmed the meat, rubbed the meat, cooked the meat, rested the meat, glazed/sauced the meat, and then knew when to serve the meat! It's YOUR BBQ!

Also, if you make your own sauces most likely you start with ketchup...thats a sauce!
Heinz 57 ingredients:
Tomato concentrate, distilled vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spice(s), onion powder, and natural flavorings.

And I don't care who you are or what sauce you use, homemade or store bought, if you don't cook the meat properly you will get bad scores! I know first hand :-D

Mike

Citizen Q
09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I never understood why people say 'if you don't make your own sauces, its not YOUR BBQ'. That makes no sense. You trimmed the meat, rubbed the meat, cooked the meat, rested the meat, glazed/sauced the meat, and then knew when to serve the meat! It's YOUR BBQ!

My sentiments exactly. Just puttin rub or sauce on the meat, homemade or not, ain't gonna make it BBQ.
Personally, all my rubs are different combinations of 2 or 3 commercial rubs doctored up with raw ingredients from the spice rack. Same thing with sauce, buy a bottle and make it better.
The reason is simple, mostly cause I'm wicked cheap, so if I got a bottle of rub or sauce that I don't particularly like, I just keep addin chit to it til I like it.

Sean

Kung Fu BBQ
09-20-2007, 08:04 PM
How many Grand Championships have you won or how many walks have you taken at a contest using your own rubs?:evil:

See that was the negative angle I didn't want to take, congrats. Grand championships = none. First full year of competeing and happy with top 10 mentions of which only one where we didn't get mentioned at least once.

and thats all the bait I'm gonna take. good day.

JohnMcD348
09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
I pretty much buy mine. I tried making it when I first got started and never really liked what I came out with. It's easier to use someone elses and concentrate the cooking.

Bud's BBQ
09-20-2007, 08:25 PM

As a professional sales person for the world's leading office furniture company, I have seldom scene such a beautiful example of "self serving promotion"!

Seriously folks, we compete and use commercial and doctor sauces/rubs and only use Plowboys on our chicken.

spicewine
09-20-2007, 08:29 PM
It took me years to develope a rub that was not only good on the meat, but was also a perfect match for the sauce. Nothing about this is easy and there has been alot of Rub and BBQ Sauce that has hit the trash in the last 2 years. A sauce and spice maker make very little money from selling their product. It is the thrill of seeing it on the store shelves and hearing from the people who are winning big with your efforts that is the reward.

Spice

burnin butts
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
use our own brand too. seems to work out good most of the time.

jbrink01
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
We developed our own pork and chicken rub, and it has been succesful. We now have a commercial blender make it for our own use in the catering business because it is easier, cheaper, and more consistent. We have tried to sell it locally, and it's not worth the effort.

We use a blend of 2 commercial rubs on our brisket, with a little something extra thrown in for good measure.

DawgPhan
01-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Congrats,

You have discovered the "Magic Twanger" for comp BBQ down here :lol:

As you know, the cook still has to do his job, but Kevin takes care of the sauce and rub part of the process perfectly!
Good luck on beating Kevin----I will die a happy cooker if I ever can.
Even on one meat at one event. :oops: :oops:

Good luck!

TIM

You it actually did work. I showed up at the contest and walked over to kevin and bought my rib and beef rub and a couple bottles of sauce and I'll be darned if I didnt finish first in ribs that day. I wasnt at Kevin's table so I didnt really beat him, but I certainly was happy with the rubs and sauces I used. It was my first time taking first in a meat category and he got a customer for life.

Sawdustguy
01-09-2008, 11:34 AM
We developed our own pork and chicken rub, and it has been succesful. We now have a commercial blender make it for our own use in the catering business because it is easier, cheaper, and more consistent. We have tried to sell it locally, and it's not worth the effort.

We use a blend of 2 commercial rubs on our brisket, with a little something extra thrown in for good measure.

You have never had Willy B sell your rubs. At the 2006 BBQ on the River Contest, Willy B sold $400 worth of our rubs in 1 hour for us. Our rub went for $5.00 per bottle. It was a sight to behold. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. I was having difficulty breathing I was laughing so hard.

Bigmista
01-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Brisket results

1 - 1st place
3 - 2nd place
1 - 3rd place
1 - 5th place

Just finished 2nd year of competing.

I use my own rub but have recently switched to doctored sauce that works well with my rub.

Butcher BBQ
01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
We use our own rub and a store bought sauce with some Butchers love added.

DawgPhan
01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I also like that lots of folks are using store bought sauces, but most folks seem to fail to actually list the name of the sauce...it must have just slipped their mind. I am sure that the folks whose products they are using wouldnt mind the free adverstising...

DawgPhan
01-09-2008, 12:54 PM
oh and I will follow my own advice and mention that I have been testing butcher's bbq injection at the house and will certainly be using it in comps. I find that it certianly helps out my brisket.

smokinit
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I buy Texas BBQ Rub by volume for my catering business and make and buy sauces. I just got some butchers also just waiting for my new BWS Competitor to try it in.

Butcher BBQ
01-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks guys for useing it, Keep me posted on your results.

jbrink01
01-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm not a big caterer (well, I'm big, but my business is not huge). Anyway, I cooked approximately 400 briskets last year, and tried butchers late in the year. My long term customers got some of that brisket, and swore it was the best they had ever had! I would have to agree that is was probably top 3 ever, and I try every round.

JD McGee
01-11-2008, 09:19 PM
This year for our first comp I'm gonna try "Crimson Smoke's" BBQ Rub on my ribs and butts. Not sure what's in it...or where he gets it...but it's the best I've tasted. Thanks Wesley! :-P

n-2-que
01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
we use doctored BBQ sauce from a commercial, we tried a zillion recipes and just easier to open a bottle add what we want. Spice rub we make before we head out to comps so its always ground fresh. cost wise spice rub or sauce sometimes seems cheaper to doctor or whatnot then trying to do your own. i know our spice rub can get costly just bbq at home. but its also part of what we have to do for what we enjoy to do.

Stoke&Smoke
01-16-2008, 01:20 PM
We make our sauce in 1 1/2 gallon batches, and can it in 1 pint mason jars. We can open one and doctor it to our tastes that day. Still experimenting with the sauces!