PDA

View Full Version : Polar Swine II

MoKanMeathead
02-09-2007, 08:53 AM
I don't know why Andy (HoDeDo) hasn't posted this yet We are having a non-sanctioned contest @ Melvern Lake in Kansas on February 17th. This contest is a blast, last year the high temp was 6 degrees with a north wind. this year the forecast is for 40+ (balmy).

So all you KC area and Kansas brethren come out. Even if you can't stand the "heat" oc competition you can come out and visit and have a "cold" one. :-D Let Andy know this weekend and he will add your team name to the t-****rts he is making.

Plowboy
02-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Waiting to hear if Stan is going to cook this with me. I'm 80% sure I'm coming right now. Need to talk with the wife one more time. Ready to get the camper out!! Can't wait for camping and outdoor cooking this year.

ole'e
02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Wayne,
I will be there flying solo.
Eric

MoKanMeathead
02-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I heard that Eric..looking forward to seeing you - need to talk about your trailer. I am thinking about getting one - if my other smoker doesn't come through this year.

Is Greg being a kitty kat or what?

n-2-que
02-09-2007, 10:22 AM
wow i wish i could attend, but don't have the smoker yet, sounds like a total blast, brethern, beer,bbq bah wish i could attend. have some beers for me

Plowboy
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm in, with or without Stan. I may need someone to haul my smoker since I'll have the camper. Another option is to use a couple of kettles and a bandera that I can haul in the back of my truck. I'd rather have the Kingfisher.

Will there be a Margarita machine and karoke? :biggrin:

I know Andy's wife, Kim, isn't coming, but what about others? Audrey would like to come, but doesn't want to be the only girl. Anyone bringing wives or girlfriends or is this a guy weekend?

HoDeDo
02-09-2007, 11:01 AM
wow i wish i could attend, but don't have the smoker yet, sounds like a total blast, brethern, beer,bbq bah wish i could attend. have some beers for me

Come and judge!

Plowboy
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm sure we can find you a smoker, Bill. The categories are brisket, ribs, and sausage. Won't take a whole lot of space.

HoDeDo
02-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm in, with or without Stan. I may need someone to haul my smoker since I'll have the camper. Another option is to use a couple of kettles and a bandera that I can haul in the back of my truck. I'd rather have the Kingfisher.

I know Andy's wife, Kim, isn't coming, but what about others? Audrey would like to come, but doesn't want to be the only girl. Anyone bringing wives or girlfriends or is this a guy weekend?

Well - the Meatheads are IN in whole now (Wayne was originally cooking with me like last year) so We'll have to count on them for the MArgarita and Karaoke action!!! (No PRESSURE!!!!)

None of the cookers had wives with them last year, but a couple wives showed up for the party Sat. night. And we had a judge or two that were women (camp host, and ranger wife) . Just beware pirates that come in from the lake at night - ARRRRRG! :shock: Anyone is welcome that wants to brave the weather.

HoDeDo
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't know why Andy (HoDeDo) hasn't posted this yet We are having a non-sanctioned contest @ Melvern Lake in Kansas on February 17th. This contest is a blast, last year the high temp was 6 degrees with a north wind. this year the forecast is for 40+ (balmy).

So all you KC area and Kansas brethren come out. Even if you can't stand the "heat" oc competition you can come out and visit and have a "cold" one. :-D Let Andy know this weekend and he will add your team name to the t-****rts he is making.

Wayne, Thanks for posting. Between getting the stuff together for the event, cookin' for the boy scout B&G banquet, and Dad's stuff over the last couple weeks - I never got anything out here about it. I had three things to post: Request for cooks, judges, and any door prizes/cash people might want to donate to get a name on the shirts as a sponsor. Time has slipped away and now we are 8 days out! So I apologize that you had to jump in and post it for us! Thanks again. If anyone has questions - just let me know know.

Thanks,
Andy

Paola Greg
02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Is Greg being a kitty kat or what?
Wayne, I had other plans for next weekend, to stay home and warm,,,,,,,

But Eric told me if I wanted to ride along I could wash dishes for him,,,,,who knows,,,,,LOL

MoKanMeathead
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Greg - that's funny. I think the last time he cooked alone he won GC didn't he? If you want you can contact Andy - I think he is still looking for judges. Judging will be in a nice warm building. :)

Doorbusters
02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I have no plans that weekend Plowboy. Depending on when you are headed that way I would be more than happy to hitch your rig up. That sounds kinda weird! Anywhooo Let me know!

HoDeDo
02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I have no plans that weekend Plowboy. Depending on when you are headed that way I would be more than happy to hitch your rig up. That sounds kinda weird! Anywhooo Let me know!

sounds like a notch past spoonin' to me.... but hey you keep warm however you gotta do it.

"You want me to put my what, in the what, what?? Mod." :shock:

SloppyQ
02-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Plowboy, since you have decided to go play with fire leave the hog on the porch and I'll send a check. If I didn't have prior commitments I'd go freeze by butt off with the rest of ya, but not this time.

QansasjayhawQ
02-09-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey! If it gets up past 30F then I'll at least come meet you all!

I can't believe you're doing this! What a hard core bunch of Q'rs!

Q On!

/Brother Dave

HoDeDo
02-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey! If it gets up past 30F then I'll at least come meet you all!

I can't believe you're doing this! What a hard core bunch of Q'rs!

Q On!

/Brother Dave

The forecast calls for 40's.... so come on out bro!

Plowboy
02-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Plowboy, since you have decided to go play with fire leave the hog on the porch and I'll send a check. If I didn't have prior commitments I'd go freeze by butt off with the rest of ya, but not this time.
Will do. Someone MIGHT be home. Don't know yet.

I knew you were coming into town and thought about joining you at the Elks again for a few drinks. Next time, Lee.

Puppyboy
02-10-2007, 08:29 AM
.....I know Andy's wife, Kim, isn't coming, but what about others? Audrey would like to come, but doesn't want to be the only girl. Anyone bringing wives or girlfriends or is this a guy weekend?

I have to work until 8pm but will be there around 9ish with my wife.

Plowboy
02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Planning on splitting all of my seasoned maple today. Its all I have here at the house. Would be willing to trade some maple next Saturday for other smoking woods.

Andy - Can we have open fires in a firering out there or in one of those enclosed fireplaces? It will determine how much wood I bring.

Solidkick
02-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Geez....I'll be close, but too busy to attend.....I'm helping open the new Olathe Bass Pro starting next weekend.....

I'm open for leftovers though! LOL

Plowboy
02-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Geez....I'll be close, but too busy to attend.....I'm helping open the new Olathe Bass Pro starting next weekend.....

I'm open for leftovers though! LOL
We'll stop in Sunday on our way home if you'll be there. Would like to meet you. PM your cell or where you'll be working if we can run into you.

The Independence Bass Pro will be about 3 miles from my house... IF they ever build it. That's the biggest & longest dirt moving project I've ever seen.

HoDeDo
02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Planning on splitting all of my seasoned maple today. Its all I have here at the house. Would be willing to trade some maple next Saturday for other smoking woods.

Andy - Can we have open fires in a firering out there or in one of those enclosed fireplaces? It will determine how much wood I bring.

Last year they let us have fires. I'll have to check on that - I don't see why it would be any different.

Plowboy
02-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Weather.com is calling for rain on Friday(30%) and flurries(30%) on Saturday. Sweet!

Jeff_in_KC
02-15-2007, 10:25 PM
The Independence Bass Pro will be about 3 miles from my house... IF they ever build it. That's the biggest & longest dirt moving project I've ever seen.

LOL! Todd, that's exactly the same thing I told Gary! :lol:

Plowboy
02-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Just got my camper out of the snow and ice over lunch. It was frozen down and the wheels had sunk into the ground. It took a while, but I finally got it broke loose. This is going to be an adventure.

Its 20 degrees out and gotta be below zero wind chill. Crap its cold, but I can't wait to cook!

QansasjayhawQ
02-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Hold on to your hats out there!

I can hear the wind starting to roar up there . . .

/Brother Dave

Jeff_in_KC
02-16-2007, 10:55 PM
About 15 degrees and 1 to 2 inches of additional snow today. You guys are farkin NUTS! Glad I changed my mind on this. Last thing I need two weeks before heading to Hawaii is farkin pneumonia! :roll:

Plowboy
02-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm glad to be home with a shower, heat, and running water. Ran between 20-30 degrees all day. The elements were a challenge! Sausage got farked up beyond repair except for one lone fatty. Still placed 7th out of eight. Ribs were more farked than the sasuage. Could pull the bones out of the slab of baby backs, but the meat was tough as bad brisket. 8th out of 8.

I was doing great in my quest to sandbag for the Dead Ass Last award which was the choice pick of all the door prizes. Then came brisket. I kept wanting Andy to call my name so I'd have last place all wrapped up. 8th, 7th,...WTF? 6th, 5th,... come on Andy and call my name! 4th, okay we are getting closer to 1st (which was the only paying position). DON'T Call My Name! 3rd, yes! 2nd... Plowboys BBQ... DAMN!!!

Muchin Hogs took the Grand Championship. We hope to get 25 teams next year which would fill the campground. Someone offered a 500 purse for a Friday night poker party to draw teams. (Of course they were drunk when the offer was made.) More door prizes are planned for next year including a two night stay at the Hilton by the airport.

I'll post some pictures later. I'm sure Andy will post the results. I'd suggest Wayne posting the origin of the Meathead award, but I think Andy's version will be much more lively.

Wife came with me which was great. No kids for the first weekend in almost a year. It was a full day of chick flicks in the camper, but well worth it for some quality time with my gal.

EDIT: Wayne, thanks for pulling my smoker to Polar Swine. I have a gift for you when I see you at Kooker's Kare next month.

smknwhlswife
02-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Here are the results. Andy has been busy with work, so I thought I would post them.

Sausage:
1. Smoke on Wheels
2. Pit Crew BBQ
3. Munchin' Hogs
4. Mokan Meatheads
5. Bad Ol' Berns BBQ
6. Swine Mutiny
7. Plowboys BBQ
8. Ribs 4 U

Ribs:
1. Munchin' Hogs
2. Swine Mutiny
3. Mokan Meatheads
4. Pit Crew BBQ
5. Ribs 4 U
6. Bad Ol' Berns BBQ
7. Smoke on Wheels
8. Plowboys BBQ

Beef:
1. Munchin' Hogs
2. Plowyboys BBQ
3. Swine Mutiny
4. Pit Crew BBQ
5. Ribs 4 U
6. Smoke on Wheels
7. Mokan Meatheads
8. Bad Ol' Berns BBQ

Overall:
1. Munchin' Hogs
2. Swine Mutiny
3. Pit Crew BBQ
4. Plowboys BBQ
5. Smoke on Wheels
6. Mokan Meatheads
7. Ribs 4 U
8. Bad Ol' Berns BBQ

I heard you all had a great time! At least it wasn't 4 degrees like last year. :lol:

HoDeDo
02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks to KIM for posting the results. Ahh, the meathead award... I cant wait to see your traveling trophy mounted... That is a story that has to get told over a campfire, or a blaring torch lighting a pit... :)

Jeff_in_KC
02-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Is it fitting for lunch today, Andy? You have me curious.

Plowboy
02-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Here are some of the few Polar Swine pics I took.