PDA

View Full Version : Hudson Valley Ribfest '07 (8/18-19) NY

Pages : [1] 2

MilitantSquatter
02-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Just an FYI... the 2007 applications are now on the website...

http://www.hudsonvalleyribfest.org/bbqcontest.html

Anyone else planning on competing there ?

CTSmokehouse
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM
We be there! Primal Meat Smokers!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Q Haven
02-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Q Haven will be there as well.

Yakfishingfool
02-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey guys, glad to hear you;re all coming. If anyone needs a team member please keep me in mind, Good at dishwashing and doing what's told :) Not ready to compete on my own as my rig will not be mobile yet. Scott

CTSmokehouse
02-05-2007, 10:20 PM
We will be there! Primal Meat Smokers!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

BBQchef33
02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
We wil lbe there too, cooking, judging, recreational cooking... some oway, but we will be there. If theres enuf of us, let me know if we want to set up a Brethren Row.

CTSmokehouse
02-05-2007, 10:33 PM
We wil lbe there too, cooking, judging, recreational cooking... some oway, but we will be there. If theres enuf of us, let me know if we want to set up a Brethren Row.

We would like to be included in Brethren Row!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

backyardchef
02-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I'd be interested in brethren row, chief.....

Muzzlebrake
02-05-2007, 11:04 PM
can't miss it.......its our backyard!!

Hey guys, glad to hear you;re all coming. If anyone needs a team member please keep me in mind, Good at dishwashing and doing what's told :) Not ready to compete on my own as my rig will not be mobile yet. Scott

Scott,
welcome to come on and hang with us, as long as you dont mind fish tales....:-P

I'd be interested in brethren row, chief.....

as would we, we had a nice corner spot last year. on that note what is the deal with the brethren banner?

BBQchef33
02-05-2007, 11:47 PM
ok, i need a rough idea of how many we have going to ribfest, and i will call Mike and arrange for our row. Looks like we can start with 6.. i know 3 more of us that said they were going, that would make 9.

YankeeBBQ
02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I'll be there but I like the spot I've had for the past couple of years.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
We will be there.

SmokeInDaEye
02-06-2007, 06:02 PM
I'd like to go and defend our title of (almost) worst in show.:biggrin:

Got to sort out a few things now that Wine & Swine is opening a restaurant. I had a lot of fun last year and it was really well run.

The Anchorman
02-06-2007, 09:06 PM
The Anchormen from Rhode Island will be there again. Maybe looking for a new site this year, a little loud last year with our other neighbors.
Ray

BigBarry
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
I am coming with MrsBigBarry! First Comp!!! Thanks for the encouragement Willie!

Still working on a team name...PMs to folks - opinions are greatly appreciated.

Wine & Swine
02-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I hope I can make it at some point over the weekend. We had such a blast last year (well until the torrential rain and our tent going airbourne in the middle of the night and then slamming to the ground and snapping two of the legs in half and dumping water on our smokers, killing the fire, and soaking our stack of bags of charcoal). And of course will Jack McDavid be there this year so he and Will can do a reunion show?

Sawdustguy
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey Poobah,

The Polocks will be there! Make a slot in Brethren Row for us!

barfly
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if it's gonna be smoke 'n lightning or beer guts & tex this year but figure in a spot for the lang one way or another.

BigBarry
02-07-2007, 06:52 PM
How about MrsBigBarry bbq team:biggrin: since we all know who the real cook is

You, sir, are sadly mistaken. I am the chef, she is the baker (except her meatloaf and her ground beef tomato sauce!)

She has been expressing interest in the fine art of smoking since I got involved in the site! Maybe some day she will have her own comp team and compete against me!

Looking forward to it! MrsBigBarry is asking about "sleeping" arrangements. Can you pitch a tent somewhere?

Muzzlebrake
02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
you can pitch the tent right there and camp onsite

MilitantSquatter
02-07-2007, 08:33 PM
MrsBigBarry is asking about "sleeping" arrangements. Can you pitch a tent somewhere?

You can do whatever you'd like, just don't stand behind me when you do it...

Seriously, She can bring a tent to sleep in... Specifically at HV last year, I recall, a space in the back where several of the teams put up tents either for themselves or for spouse or kids... If you don't have a lot of used up space on the est 20x20 site, you can also put the tent on the 20x20 space if it fits.

What you'll typically see is most of the cooks staying up most of the night or sleeping in some type of chair,cot or inside trailer. If there are multiple team members or a cook is cooking on WSM's or insulated cookers etc. you'll see teammates take turns tending the pit to catch some sleep. Others might go to the area where their car is parked.

Q Haven
02-07-2007, 09:57 PM
We brought a tent to sleep in at the Ribfest, but it rained so hard we ended up sleeping on an inflatable mattress in the cargo van. That was a very uncomfortable evening!

SmokeInDaEye
02-08-2007, 10:18 AM
As John noted, our EZ-Up didn't stay in one piece. However, our little tent weathered the storm.

lunchlady
02-08-2007, 07:07 PM
lunchmeat is planning on cooking Highland this year, it will be our first time at this event. we should probably ask to be in the "noisy neighbor" section. Ray, can we have yer old site? heheh. kidding...
I heard (rumors) they can take around 70 teams this year... that would make it triple points for KCBS. wow.

MilitantSquatter
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
FYI... I tried to save Poob some work...

I just received an reply e-mail from Stephanie King, who is on the HV Ribfest Committee confirming my receipt of my application.

In my initial e-mail I had mentioned to her that the Brethren may be interested in being grouped together if possible...

She responded that she did not think that would be a problem. Especially as they were going to try to pre-assign spots this year to make it easier upon check in upon arrival.

So, if a "Brethren Row" (or just being located in the immediate area depending on the amount of us attending and the layout of the sites) is agreed upon by the teams here, she asked that each application clearly note in big letters BRETHREN at the top of the form. I think Stephanie is solely handling the applications at this point as Mike Fick is attending to some family things..

As we get closer, I will take the point to re-confirm wth Stephanie any of the teams that designated their application as she requested, just be sure to advise me either here or via PM that you noted it on your application and I will keep track on our end.

rbsnwngs
02-13-2007, 06:54 AM
I Like Smoke-N-Lightning will be there just mailed the check out this morning
Not to be a pest or anything but if we could get a spot as far away from the noisey people as possiable that would be great.

Muzzlebrake
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
How are you guys thinking about setting up this "brethren row"? How many do we think are there going to be?
My thought is that it would be better if we were in the middle where I was set up last year so this way we could be back to back as well as side to side.
Should we self indentify when we send in the registration check?
Oh yeah and we would like a spot in the middle of the noisy people, as we are trying hard to NOT take the competition thing seriously.

BBQchef33
02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Just identify yourself at the top of your registration with BBQ BRETHREN.

The location of the Groups block is really up to the organizers, what they do is give us a block of "N" spots and then we will arrange the teams within the block. So it would be helpful to know if anyone has oversized trailers or anything like that.

As we get closer to the event, I(or vinny) will take a final head count as to who wants to be group up with us and will work out a floor plan with the organizers. We try to make sure that the newer teams are next to or surrounded by more experienced teams so they have someone to call out to for help.

MilitantSquatter
02-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I have been corresponding with Stephanie (to take one thing off of Phil's "to do" list)...

Stephanie asked me to advise the others that the Brethren teams put (BBQ)BRETHREN at the top of the application. (If you don't want to be part of the madness, just don't put the Brethren name on your application)

As we get closer to the contest, I will work with her to ensure that all who posted here that noted BRETHTREN on the application, match up with what her records show. (We also don't want people noting Brethren on the application that we've never heard of..)

As of today, Stephanie and the rest of the HV committee cannot committ to where we may be situated as it will depend on how the overall contest layout will be as well as the total # of teams who enter. Phil and I will coordinate to figure out positioning within the group once we know our total count,and how Stephanie plans the site layout.

djmarko
02-14-2007, 05:29 PM
So,let me get this straight: Will wants to be as far away from himself as possible? I'll be there either judging or joining a team to help. I found out at last years event that me being 6'3" is not conducive to sleeping in my Saturn. Sure was interesting tho.

YankeeBBQ
07-02-2007, 09:31 PM
FYI there is still plenty of room in New Paltz for teams. If you were thinking about this one I highly recommend it. Great comp run by a great bunch of people.

Steve

MilitantSquatter
07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Steve - Do you know what the team count is up to ??

YankeeBBQ
07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Steve - Do you know what the team count is up to ??

Don't hold me to this but I think Mike Fick said they had 26 signed up. I haven't sent my application yet but It's going out this week. They hope to get 54 teams.

Sawdustguy
07-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Vinny,

If you are going to do a brethren row, please save a space for us Polocks.

MilitantSquatter
07-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Vinny,

If you are going to do a brethren row, please save a space for us Polocks.

Will do Guy... At the beginning of August, we'll need to take an official tally of all of those who marked their application with "BBQ Brethren" at the top. Based on total count and what the contest site layout can accomodate, I will coordinate with Stephanie King as best possible.

Muzzlebrake
07-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Will do Guy... At the beginning of August, I will take an official roll call to verify any last teams interested in being grouped together who have not mentioned so, and then coordinate with Stephanie King based on the entries she has that are marked accordingly on the paperwork. Based on total interest, I'll need to work with Stephanie as best possible to accomodate the actual contest site layout.

Vinny.......how many you think we will have? I would like to be part of the Row, but I really want to have the same spot I was in last year, like having all that traffic it is kinda my hometown contest

MilitantSquatter
07-02-2007, 10:43 PM
I would guess somewhere in the 8-10 range. More than that seems like a lot and probably unfeasible based on last year's set up.

Based on earlier posts who seemed interested 100%, this is what I can tell as a "YES" but not sure who really marked the applications or actually entered at this point.

Bad Bones BBQ Crew
I like Smoke N Lightning
BBQ Brethren (not sure if Phil is entering on his own or cooking with I Like Smoke-n-Lightning and/or 3-4 Beerguts & A Longhorn)
Primal Meat Smokers
Two Fat Polocks
Team Big Barry Q
South Shore Smokers

Here's the one's I'm not unsure if officially entering or wanting to be in the row

Atom's Ribs ???
Lunchmeat ???
Muzzlebreak Outfitters ???
The Anchormen ???
Q Haven ??

I know others will be competing but they have not expressed the desire to be grouped together (which is fine too)... If legitimately interested, please advise after you have submitted entry.

Q Haven
07-03-2007, 06:35 AM
We are definitely entering...while I would love to be on a Brethren row, it is more important that we have one of the "camper friendly" sites along the fence. Not sure if we will be able to have both.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
07-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Lo' -N- Slo' is going we will be in the camper friendly row.

Big Dog Barbecue
07-03-2007, 08:23 AM
FYI there is still plenty of room in New Paltz for teams. If you were thinking about this one I highly recommend it. Great comp run by a great bunch of people.

Steve

Agreed! Hot showers, Cold Draft Beer, Swimming Pool, Good Entertainment, Good Hosts, Good Prize Money, Level Shady Lots, Midnight Movies (I Smell Smoke's Drive-In Theatre), Easy-In Easy Out sites. This is a great event and The Big Dogs will be there (defending our 1st Place Chicken last year).

BBQchef33
07-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I sent in seperately.

but whats 'camper friendly' mean. I asked for a lager site, for a 20foot trailer in Brethren row and they said thats fine.

Whats the camper sites?

Big Dog Barbecue
07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
The previous two years we were able to site ourselves. There are sites against the fence (about 6 I believe) that are larger than the sites in the main area.

On this years application they asked for $25.00 for an oversize site. I got an email from Stephanie and she said those are the sites along the fence that are considered oversized. She said they are siting everyone so you need to submit the $25 if you want one of those sites.

If you don't need to have your trailer/camper/mobile home on your site than I think you can put it outside the competition area on the other side of the fence.

They've got lots of space at this event and they are good people so I'm sure you'll have something suitable.

See ya there!

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
07-03-2007, 10:48 AM
If you have a motor home or pull behind camper you will be put by the fence. Motor home will be on one side of the fence and your site will be on the other. They don't want the big rigs in the comp area. That's how we are understanding it. Works for us.

backyardchef
07-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Based on earlier posts who seemed interested 100%, this is what I can tell as a "YES" but not sure who really marked the applications or actually entered at this point.

Here's the one's I'm not unsure if officially entering or wanting to be in the row

Atom's Ribs ???

Vinny-- My wife actually mentioned this to me yesterday. Suddenly she's interested. I thought it was a no go. A team had offered to let me hang around their site and learn a thing or two*. I'll try and pin down a definite answer and let you know asap.

*Since I'm not judging that won't be a problem....:rolleyes:

SmokeInDaEye
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Vinny-- My wife actually mentioned this to me yesterday. Suddenly she's interested. I thought it was a no go. A team had offered to let me hang around their site and learn a thing or two*. I'll try and pin down a definite answer and let you know asap.

You and Amy should do it! I think you'd have a great time. Really well run contest and venue.

I unfortunately have to bow out this year due to a possible medical condition (I think it's called "Wifesfootupmybutt-itis", caused by doing back-to-back contests).

Let me know if you need to borrow any equipment, though.

BigBarry
07-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Matt,

If you are looking for someone to hang with, Team BigBarryQ would be glad to have you help us out! We could probably learn more from you!!

PM me if interested.

LostNation
07-04-2007, 06:29 AM
I'll probably go down and cook the contest. I'll find out this week about a catering job ( have to do something being unemployed) at the golf club but I don't think they'll have enough players. I'd like to set up next to that pesky Fat Angle team.

Cue's Your Daddy
07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Are they still accepting teams for this? havent signed up but thinking about it. And how far would you think this is from Long Island?

timzcardz
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
About 125 miles from Ronkonkoma.

Yakfishingfool
07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Who's getting there and when? Are you guys doing the NEBS comp as well? I'm good to go from 6pm friday til sunday. Let me know (sled,phil, etc)

YankeeBBQ
07-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Are they still accepting teams for this? havent signed up but thinking about it. And how far would you think this is from Long Island?

Last I heard they had 45 or 46 teams and are hoping to get 54. Email Stephanie King applequeen5@aim.com

barfly
07-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Who's getting there and when? Are you guys doing the NEBS comp as well? I'm good to go from 6pm friday til sunday. Let me know (sled,phil, etc)

I like smoke n lightning will be there sometime fri. night. one eyed fred, gary and myself will be there all weekend, i guess willie b's help situation at the store will determine when he comes.

Cue's Your Daddy
07-25-2007, 12:18 PM
cool, i will email her now, anyone know the camping situation also, for the family

Westexbbq
07-25-2007, 12:21 PM
I am there, not square; confirmed as a Judge for the KCBS on Sunday.
I plan on getting there early Saturday afternoon to visit.
Most likely no problem finding "Brethren Row"........
(I hear that train a coming, it's rolling 'round the bend..........)

YankeeBBQ
07-25-2007, 12:26 PM
cool, i will email her now, anyone know the camping situation also, for the family

Plenty of room to pitch a tent. Swimming pool and showers available. The showers are free it's like $2 to use the pool.

Big Dog Barbecue
07-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Plenty of room to pitch a tent. Swimming pool and showers available. The showers are free it's like $2 to use the pool.

Also grassy sites, lots of shade, flush toilets, hot and cold running water in the rest rooms, evening entertainment and the opportunity to meet Andy, I Smell Smoke's Jester!

YankeeBBQ
07-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Steve, is Dave gonna' make this one? And what did ya think of his pic that I sent you?

I don't think Dave will make it. He's having surgery today and will be out of commision for about a month. I used that pic in the National bbq news. I gave you credit.

Big Dog Barbecue
07-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh, please send him our regards and best wishes. I hope everything goes well for him. He's a real good guy.

Thanks for putting the pic in NBN and giving us credit (I've had that pic as the desktop pic on my computer since June). Aside from the health inspector, we don't seem to get a lot of accolades.

By the way, I was suspecting that Andy and the washroom attendant were one in the same. Kinda like a Batman thing. Thanks for clarafying that.

Good luck this weekend. See ya'll in a few weeks.

Yakfishingfool
07-25-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll be there firday evening and hang with who ever is there. Not sure when sled and the whistles are showing up. Scott

MilitantSquatter
07-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I'll be there sometime in the afternoon on Friday... I'll be going up with my dad...Sean is out as baby arrived this week.

Cue's Your Daddy
07-30-2007, 10:41 AM
WE ARE IN. the 55th team entered and maybe last team, unless they can add 6 more teams. And just like Vinny, our dad will be cooking with us that weekend, so it should be a good time. Changing our team name for the contest to Cue's your Daddy! and Daddy. There is no more room in the brethren row, so we will not be near you guys, but she will try to put us as close to you guys as possible.

rbsnwngs
07-31-2007, 07:48 AM
how about the same rib bet at this event

Q Haven
07-31-2007, 07:55 AM
This was from the NEBS message board....

The ribfest now has 60 teams, however they have only accepted 54 at this time since they do not have enough confirmed judges for the extra table. If you would like to judge on Sunday for KCBS contest please contact

Stephanie King applequeen5@aim.com (applequeen5@aim.com)

Lets see a few more judges sign up!

Sledneck
07-31-2007, 08:02 AM
This was from the NEBS message board....

The ribfest now has 60 teams, however they have only accepted 54 at this time since they do not have enough confirmed judges for the extra table. If you would like to judge on Sunday for KCBS contest please contact

Stephanie King applequeen5@aim.com (applequeen5@aim.com)

Lets see a few more judges sign up!

I am very unhappy to read this. I procrastinated and decided to sign up to cook last night. Now i am SOL:cry:

YankeeBBQ
07-31-2007, 08:08 AM

I'm in. I need to redeem myself.

pigmaker23
07-31-2007, 08:21 AM
sled, im sure someone would welcome you to cook with them, after all 13th in chicken out of 60 teams isnt all that bad, lol seriously , i think they will extend to 60 teams from the current hold at 54, you should get in

LostNation
07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm in for another rib bet. My rib's have $ucked this year.

Jorge
07-31-2007, 09:18 AM

I haven't talked to Phil, but I'm in on his behalf. Same deal as Harpoon, winnings go to charity?

YankeeBBQ
07-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Same deal as Harpoon, winnings go to charity?

Works for me !

Sledneck
07-31-2007, 10:14 AM
How about donating the money to brother scott burke who lost everyting in the house fire

Yakfishingfool
07-31-2007, 03:47 PM
That's the problem with judging this event. I want to hang out and party with everyone and if judging this is frowned upon. Scott

ique
07-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Can anyone recommend a hotel near the event?

Thanks

MilitantSquatter
07-31-2007, 08:29 PM
That's the problem with judging this event. I want to hang out and party with everyone and if judging this is frowned upon. Scott

Scott - You can hang the day and evening before turn in's..it's just expected that you don't hang out the morning of....

MilitantSquatter
07-31-2007, 08:57 PM

Thanks

Chris - I don't know if I can recommend them, but I made a reservation for my wife and daughter here for Sat night.. Two Double beds = $90 for the night.. It's about 4 miles from the fairgrounds.. right off I 87 and Rt 299.

http://www.87motel.com/index.html

I also called the Super 8 that is in the area. They only have smoking rooms available for that weekend. Since my daughter has asthma I had to look elsewhere. This one is also about 4 miles away

http://www.super8newpaltz.com/

There was another Super 8 nearby but no one was answering the phone when I called earlier today # 845-691-6888

There is also an Ecolodge in the same area # 800-424-4777. I did not call them.

Muzzlebrake
07-31-2007, 09:19 PM
I haven't talked to Phil, but I'm in on his behalf. Same deal as Harpoon, winnings go to charity?

sorry I missed Harpoon.........whats the bet?

Yakfishingfool
07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
There are two new hotels in Kingston, but they are up the thruway to the next exit. about a 20 minute jaunt. Scott

pigmaker23
08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Chris, the Econo Lodge is not to bad, i know the guy who owns it, it is clean, safe and inexpensive, its 2 miles east of the Thruway exit on 299, ask for Manish Patel...

Jorge
08-01-2007, 09:40 AM
sorry I missed Harpoon.........whats the bet?

$25 to the highest score in ribs. Money goes to the charity of the winners choice.

Cue's Your Daddy
08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
i am in for the bet. It just cant go to PETA.

Westexbbq
08-01-2007, 12:45 PM

Hey Scott,
Like Vinny said, you can hang and visit prior to getting sworn in to Judge.
Once that happens, no contact should be made.
I am confirmed to judge the kcbs on Sunday so will do my visiting etc. Sat afternoon/evening as I am not judging the grilling.
Hope you consider judging the kcbs on sunday since they need more judges.

ps,
I booked the Super 8 a while back but noted no specials for event related guests.

Yakfishingfool
08-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Do you know the email to judge, Wes?

Westexbbq
08-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Do you know the email to judge, Wes?

See posts #1 and 72.
See you there.

Yakfishingfool
08-01-2007, 02:15 PM
OK Wes, I'm going to be judging on Sunday. My first official competition to judge. Scott

Muzzlebrake
08-01-2007, 09:53 PM
$25 to the highest score in ribs. Money goes to the charity of the winners choice.

I am in, just let me know where to donate the cash

CTSmokehouse
08-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Thanks

Primal Meat Smokers had a room for the weekend last year at Super 8, just off 87. My parents stayed there also. Buffet breakfast... not bad. We used it primarily to get cleaned up, relax and to sleep over Friday night. First comp. Probably would not do a whole weekend again, but Friday night would be worth it. It is about 5 to 10 minutes away. New Paltz is a college town and is up all weekend! Lot of good food places and food stores. Sunday AM there is a really good Farmers Market. Wineries and great corn nearby. Scenic, Mohonk Mt. House is in the distance.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sledneck
08-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Due to a family trip conflict(thanks poobah) i will not be competing. I will however be judging on sunday

MilitantSquatter
08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Has anyone seen a final team list ?

Solidkick
08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
hey? how'd i get in the middle of that? :confused:
Sounds like you get blamed for everythiing....:roll:

Sawdustguy
08-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Phil,

You have to understand, you are the Poobah!!!!!:cool:

Sledneck
08-04-2007, 11:08 PM
hmmm lets see. We were at harpoon my wife asks you what is the date for Hudson valley, you say its the last weekend of august. I say the 25th and 26th of august? you said YES. I figured since you are signed up and paid and you are the poobah you knew. She gets on phone books trip to hershey park for the 18th. I get home look at KCBS calendar and see the real hudson valley date and yell OH F**K! Scramble to reschedule trip cause BBQ is always more important as usual. It is all booked up. Don't get me wrong i am real happy to spend time with my kids but it could of been different Thanks Ash-Hole:twisted: :biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye
08-04-2007, 11:49 PM
hmmm lets see. We were at harpoon my wife asks you what is the date for Hudson valley, you say its the last weekend of august. I say the 25th and 26th of august? you said YES. I figured since you are signed up and paid and you are the poobah you knew. She gets on phone books trip to hershey park for the 18th. I get home look at KCBS calendar and see the real hudson valley date and yell OH F**K! Scramble to reschedule trip cause BBQ is always more important as usual. It is all booked up. Don't get me wrong i am real happy to spend time with my kids but it could of been different Thanks Ash-Hole:twisted: :biggrin:

So come cook with team ash hole in New Holland the weekend you have free (8/24-25). Should be fun.

BBQchef33
08-04-2007, 11:51 PM
uhh...:oops:

oh...:icon_blush:

uhh:redface:

yeah..I got it messed up with New Holland. :redface:

Sledneck
08-04-2007, 11:58 PM
uhh...:oops:

oh...:icon_blush:

uhh:redface:

yeah..I got it messed up with New Holland. :redface:
Well at least you admit it. Regardless i dont want to be near you until at least september so its a good thing

SmokeInDaEye
08-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Well at least you admit it. Regardless i dont want to be near you until at least september so its a good thing

So Poohbahs coming to New Holland too? Come on, Sled! We can show team AH in all of it's glory.

Big Dog Barbecue
08-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey Steve

New Holland's not that far from Hershey. If you change the date of your trip you could go to both Hudson Valley and New Holland.

Not so sure how that will work with the wife though.

By the way if you like fireworks ( the real deal not the sparkler crap they sell in CT), you can get them in Pennsylvania. I'll give you a website to go to if you're interested. I got a lot of great stuff for $125.00!

The place is within about 20 minutes of Hershey Park.

Regards,

Don Halas

Sledneck
08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
So Poohbahs coming to New Holland too? Come on, Sled! We can show team AH in all of it's glory.

im THERE!

Yakfishingfool
08-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Something has come up, thanks Poobah, and I won't be judging.....I'll be helping to compete! woopee!!!!!:tongue::razz:8):-P

YankeeBBQ
08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Still room for 2 teams in Hudson Valley !!

HUDSON VALLEY RIBFEST 2007

8/3/07
SITE NUMBER TEAM NAME*
*indicates team is returning!!
1 Ma’s ‘Que Crew*
2 The Purple Turtle Catering Co*
3 Lo’ – n – Slo’ BBQ*
4 Fat Angel BBQ
5 Q Wannabees
6 Better BBQ Bureau*
7 White Dog BBQ
8 Beef Rubbers*
9 Cork N’ Pork*
10 Wine & Swine BBQ
11 The Anchormen*
12 Red Planet BBQ*
13 Smokey Mike’s
14 Long Island Porkers
15 Lost Nation Smoke Company
16 Smoke Rise Smokers*
17 Sexy Gino’s Barbeque
18 Memphis Barbeque Company*
19 Hawg Wild BBQ*
20 Song of the South BBQ
20A TBA
20B TBA
21 The Bar-B-Q-Tioner
22 A Man, A Woman and a Smoker
23 Frankie’s BBQ
24 The Hot Dawg Truck Team Bar-B-Que
25 Miz’ Hattie’s Southern BBQ
26 Vinegar Hill*
27 I Que
28 Mark’s Hot BBQ
29 Champlain Pit Crew
30 Bad Bones BBQ Crew*
31 Team Big Barry Q
32 Que’s Your Daddy! And Daddy
33 Double “J” BBQ*
34 Boneyard Smokers
35 WhiskeyRiver Smokers
36 Uncle Jed’s BBQ
37 Yabba Dabba Que!
38 All Fired Up Backyard BBQ
38 Dirty Dick & the Legless Wonders*
39 Daisy May’s BBQ*
40 Ribs Within
41 Smokers Delight
42 Baba’s Barbeque*
43 Hog Heaven BBQ*
44 Stupid Fat Guys & Smokin Babes Suicide BBQ
45 I Smell Smoke!!!*
46 Q Haven*
47 Big Dog Barbecue*
48 Two Fat Polocks
49 BBQ-Brethren.Com*
50 I Like Smoke-n-Lightning*
51 Full Throttle Smokin’ Bikers
52 Mighty Quinn’s Bar-B-Que
53 Muzzle Brake Outfitters*
54 Yankee Barbeque Boys*
55 Jack McDavid’s Down Home Diner*
55 Smoken’ Dudes BBQ*
57 Hickory BBQ & Smokehouse*

ihbobry
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
20A TBA
20B TBA
????

The Anchorman
08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Steve is that also are site assignments? Is there a Brethren Row? Thats a big field of teams, if The Anchormen get a call up I'll be happy!:-D

YankeeBBQ
08-07-2007, 04:57 PM
That's the room for 2 more teams. They are at 58 now.

20A TBA
20B TBA
????

YankeeBBQ
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Steve is that also are site assignments? Is there a Brethren Row? Thats a big field of teams, if The Anchormen get a call up I'll be happy!:-D

Yes that's the site numbers but I don't have a map so I don't know how they line up.

ihbobry
08-07-2007, 05:04 PM
That's the room for 2 more teams. They are at 58 now.

doh!

I should add I am local and live in New Paltz, anyone needing local information just ask. (the hotel thing was more or less covered above)

BBQchef33
08-07-2007, 07:02 PM
i just got a note from stephanie. There were too many of us to put in a 'row', so whe clustered us together somehow.

no clue what that means.

I think what threw her is that some asked for larger spots and some didnt.

MAsQue
08-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow! That's quite a field of teams. It's incredible how much this comp has grown in three years. I think it might be prudent to try to get there a little before the 8 PM Saturday arrival time we managed last year.

MAsQue
08-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I had a couple of questions on the rules for a couple of entries at Hudson Valley that I asked Linda Mullane about. I'm posting her answers below for the benefit of anyone who may be as ignorant as I (however unlikely that may be.)

Q: what about the apple desert contest on Sunday? Six pieces of something in the usual container, usual garnish optional, or something looser?

A: The rules say: 6 pieces means you would need 6 individual separate and identifiable items, such as a pie 6 slices, a pudding or applesauce 6 individual cups, 6 muffins,or apple and pulled pork wraps would need to be cut into 6 pieces. The garnish rules are optional and open to your imagination but must fit within the confines of the 9 X 9 tray and close the box.

Q: Are you allowing stuffing as part of a turn in, or sauce only? If you are allowing stuffing, are you defining what stuffing is? For example, from "Grillin' on the Bay": "b. Fish: Whole, steak or fillet. No shellfish or crustaceans. Stuffing is optional. Stuffing to be composed of grain, dairy, vegetable and/or fruits. No additional meat, fish, shellfish, crustacean or poultry allowed. Fish may be cooked whole, but must be submitted in 6 separate and identifiable pieces. Garnish and presentation rules apply."

A: KCBS rules apply to all categories. That means no stuffing allowed. The only variance is we will allow whole fish for presentation purposes.

Jorge
08-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Ask BBQChef33 about his stuffed pork chops last year.....

BBQchef33
08-13-2007, 04:38 PM
hey, if no one notices, it aint stuffed. :)

LostNation
08-13-2007, 05:06 PM
I had a couple of questions on the rules for a couple of entries at Hudson Valley that I asked Linda Mullane about.

Q: what about the apple desert contest on Sunday?

What apple desert on Sunday, I thought it was KCBS on Sunday.

MAsQue
08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
What apple desert on Sunday, I thought it was KCBS on Sunday.

This is Sunday's schedule (from their website) -

11:00 Judges Meeting
12:00 Chicken turn-in
12:30 Pork Ribs turn-in
1:00 Pork Butt/Shoulder turn-in
1:30 Beef Brisket turn-in
2:00 Chef’s Choice Apple Entry. You will be given a 3# bag of apples. Your choice of what to prepare (appetiz er, entry,
or dessert? ?), but you must present six pieces for judging and use the apples in the dish, not as just a garnish

rbsnwngs
08-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Ask BBQChef33 about his stuffed pork chops last year.....

1:30/DQed

Muzzlebrake
08-13-2007, 06:31 PM
first I ahve heard about the apple entry........gotta think of sumthin to do

Big Dog Barbecue
08-13-2007, 06:38 PM
... a pudding or applesauce 6 individual cups...

Ok, so does this mean that we are supposed to (allowed) to put some sort of cup or container for the individual servings, or does this mean that like pulled pork we can just put this in the box and allow the judges to take a portion. Also, will the judges get a fork or spoon?

Why do they have to have such specific rules with a non-KCBS entry?

MAsQue
08-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Ok, so does this mean that we are supposed to (allowed) to put some sort of cup or container for the individual servings, or does this mean that like pulled pork we can just put this in the box and allow the judges to take a portion. Also, will the judges get a fork or spoon?

Big Dog,

I forwarded your question to Linda and will post her reply here when I get one.

Just to clear up any confusion I may have inadvertantly caused, my question to Linda regarding stuffing was in regard to the Grilling contest on Saturday. I had thought that was a NEBS contest and, from my limited experience at Grillin on the Bay, thought NEBS rules permitted stuffing in grilling entries. Glad I checked.

Jorge
08-13-2007, 07:01 PM
Big Dog,

Just to clear up any confusion I may have inadvertantly caused, my question to Linda regarding stuffing was in regard to the Grilling contest on Saturday. I had thought that was a NEBS contest and, from my limited experience at Grillin on the Bay, thought NEBS rules permitted stuffing in grilling entries. Glad I checked.

Unless I'm mistaken it is a NEBS contest, but they are using KCBS rules. Steve?

Westexbbq
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
My dos centavos from earlier this year when I judged the desserts at Yardley, yes, they had spoons in the judges tent for the entries that required one; very creative turn ins accross the board but wouldn't hurt to have some utensils handy to accompany your turn-in entry.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
08-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Received this email today

Chef’s Choice – Apples Turn-in Sunday, 8/19 at 2:00 pm, after KCBS meats

Sorry, we haven’t given you much info regarding this entry.

We said originally that you can submit an appetizer, a main dish, or dessert (or whatever). However, the apples must be a part of the dish, not just a garnish.

Further info for you:
-Our best info is that the apples will be “early Macintosh”; you’ll get a three-pound bag at the cooks’ meeting on 8/18.
-Linda Mullane offers the following; “The rules say: 6 pieces means you would need 6 individual separate and identifiable items, such as pie 6 slices; a pudding or applesauce, 6 individual cups; muffins or apple and pulled pork wraps would need to be cut into 6 pieces. The garnish rules are optional and open to your imagination, but must fit within the confines of the 9 x 9 styro tray, and close the box.”

Hope this will help you out. BE CREATIVE… it should be a delicious adventure!!

Stephanie King

MAsQue
08-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Big Dog,

From Linda:

It does mean and required if the item is questionable it should be in separate containers within the container. The examples of Pudding or Applesauce. The judges will have folks.

Linda

Cue's Your Daddy
08-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Can shellfish be used for the seafood, it doesnt say that you cant, but i cant find anything and i dont want to be wrong

YankeeBBQ
08-14-2007, 01:34 PM
From Linda:

It does mean and required if the item is questionable it should be in separate containers within the container. The examples of Pudding or Applesauce. The judges will have folks.

Linda

Can you translate this for me ? Can we put stuff in a non edible container ie a bowl as long as it fits ?

ique
08-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Can shellfish be used for the seafood, it doesnt say that you cant, but i cant find anything and i dont want to be wrong

The category is Fish not Seafood.

MAsQue
08-14-2007, 03:14 PM
It does mean and required if the item is questionable it should be in separate containers within the container. The examples of Pudding or Applesauce. The judges will have folks. Linda

Can you translate this for me ? Can we put stuff in a non edible container ie a bowl as long as it fits ?

My understanding of this (and anyone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong) is that in the case of something that is largely fluid, and cannot be easily manipulated with the fingers, you should put it in 6 separate containers, like 2 oz souffle' cups, and put all six smal containers in the 9x9 styrofoam turn-in box, garnished as you please, so long as the top closes. The judges will have forks to eat it with.

Fish means fish, not seafood, as far as I am aware.

Big Dog Barbecue
08-14-2007, 04:10 PM
The category is Fish not Seafood.

But according to Vito at Bluesaque, Fish includes swordfish but not shrimp, even though they both come from the sea. Except that some shrimp is farm raised which would make them less seafood than swordfish. Too many rules for this kind of entry in my opinion.

Brian, thanks for helping clarify all this.

Sawdustguy
08-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Why is there so many rules? KCBS rules prevail. The catagory is FISH not Seafood! Swordfish is a fish, so it's ok, as is Fluke, Flounder, Cod, Salmon, Weakfish etc. Shimp and lobster are crustaceans not fish so they are not allowed. Scollops are Pectinidaes, Oysters are Ostreidaes and Clams are Mollusks, none of which are fish. I hope this helps.

BBQchef33
08-14-2007, 04:45 PM
how about interperting it as just the FISH type fish.... and not shellfish.. that covers all the other options.

Sawdustguy
08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
how about interperting it as just the FISH type fish.... and not shellfish.. that covers all the other options.

Yeah Phil, but you have to be impressed with those fancy words.

The Anchorman
08-14-2007, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=Big Dog Barbecue;444197]But according to Vito at Bluesaque, Fish includes swordfish but not shrimp, even though they both come from the sea. Except that some shrimp is farm raised which would make them less seafood than swordfish. Too many rules for this kind of entry in my opinion.

But this Ain't Bluesaque, and it Ain't East Hartford. It's New Paltz NY and new rules.

Yakfishingfool
08-14-2007, 06:45 PM
When are we going to get a pinnaped category???

MAsQue
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Yeah Phil, but you have to be impressed with those fancy words.

But, this leaves open the question of whether we are limited to bony fishes or are cartiliginous fishes OK? How about fishes without scales? After all, they're not kosher...

Muzzlebrake
08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
so wait something called a shellfish is not a fish, but something called a catfish is a fish?

if the word fish doesnt make it a fish what does?

I was under the impression that shrimp were OK........

Sledneck
08-14-2007, 09:26 PM
so wait something called a shellfish is not a fish, but something called a catfish is a fish?

if the word fish doesnt make it a fish what does?
and chicken of the sea tuna has no poultry in it?

Muzzlebrake
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
and chicken of the sea tuna has no poultry in it?

OK Jessica, Chicken of the Sea is a brand name for tunafish just like Bubba Gump Shrimp is a brand name for shellfish

lmao

:mrgreen:

Sledneck
08-14-2007, 09:41 PM
and underwood liverwurst spread is not made by the devil?

Muzzlebrake
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
and underwood liverwurst spread is not made by the devil?

actually I think that is made by the devil

Westexbbq
08-14-2007, 11:50 PM
"Too much fishy bizness"
(Chuck Berry mod.)
Not judging the grilling on Saturday.
Looking forward to how this all shakes out.
Good luck y'all and I am sure it'll be real good.

Big Dog Barbecue
08-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Why is there so many rules? KCBS rules prevail. The catagory is FISH not Seafood! Swordfish is a fish, so it's ok, as is Fluke, Flounder, Cod, Salmon, Weakfish etc. Shimp and lobster are crustaceans not fish so they are not allowed. Scollops are Pectinidaes, Oysters are Ostreidaes and Clams are Mollusks, none of which are fish. I hope this helps.

I've never noticed the words 'Pectinidae', 'Crustacean' or even 'Mollusk' on a restaurant menu. It's usually 'Fish', or perhaps 'Seafood' or even 'Pesce' if I'm dining Italian. And it's not unusual to find salmon, shrimp, cod, trout, lobster, clams or even mussels or squid under this categorization

You’ve missed the point, this isn't a Science Fair its a cooking contest. Aren't these contests supposed to be about creatively cooking using wood or charcoal?

Three years ago, as a judge at the New Hampshire event I tasted a fantastic fish entry, definitely the best of all the entries I judged that day. Unfortunately the team was disqualified because the sauce they used contained tiny pieces of crab meat. I don’t see why this level of specificity is necessary and how it improves an event.

F.Y.I. the grilling events are not KCBS. The ‘2007 Official KCBS Rules and Regulations /Judging Procedures’ doesn’t mention fish, seafood or even ‘pectinidaes’

If the organizer finds the need to make such definitive rules then they should make the specifics known well ahead of the contest. Not the week before the event, and certainly not to wait until the cooks meeting.

YankeeBBQ
08-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Maybe that team just should have followed the rules and they wouldn't have had a problem. I think some of these rules got so specific because teams were cooking things like seafood stuffed tenderloin for a seafood category. Is that really seafood or is it beef ? I suppose they could say the entry has to be 51 percent seafood but how the heck are you going to measure that ?

Three years ago, as a judge at the New Hampshire event I tasted a fantastic fish entry, definitely the best of all the entries I judged that day. Unfortunately the team was disqualified because the sauce they used contained tiny pieces of crab meat. I don’t see why this level of specificity is necessary and how it improves an event.

ique
08-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Maybe that team just should have followed the rules and they wouldn't have had a problem. I think some of these rules got so specific because teams were cooking things like seafood stuffed tenderloin for a seafood category. Is that really seafood or is it beef ? I suppose they could say the entry has to be 51 percent seafood but how the heck are you going to measure that ?

Hey that was me! We thought we followed the rules. The rules said, 'one kind of fish'. We entered one kind of fish, Swordfish. Our sauce had under 1/4 " chunks of lobster. Lobster is not a fish. I will agree that we pushed the limits and risked the DQ.

ique
08-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I've never noticed the words 'Pectinidae', 'Crustacean' or even 'Mollusk' on a restaurant menu. It's usually 'Fish', or perhaps 'Seafood' or even 'Pesce' if I'm dining Italian. And it's not unusual to find salmon, shrimp, cod, trout, lobster, clams or even mussels or squid under this categorization

Again the category is FISH. Why are we discussing clams, mussels and squid? These are not fish.

BBQchef33
08-15-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm handing in a live trout.

Sushi Mod.

And just to satisfy the really picky judges, it will have experienced a VERY Brief stint on a hot grill. Just enuf to piss it off.

:)

YankeeBBQ
08-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey that was me! We thought we followed the rules. The rules said, 'one kind of fish'. We entered one kind of fish, Swordfish. Our sauce had under 1/4 " chunks of lobster. Lobster is not a fish. I will agree that we pushed the limits and risked the DQ.

Yeah and you didn't whine about it too much LOL.

ique
08-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah and you didn't whine about it too much LOL.

I was pissed that they kept and ate my DQ'd entry!

Transformer BBQ
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
As Lunchmeat learned with the comment cards... you just need to put burnt ends in with everything and you'll be fine. Seem to work out for them at Harpoon...

YankeeBBQ
08-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Sushi Mod.

And just to satisfy the really picky judges, it will have experienced a VERY Brief stint on a hot grill. Just enuf to piss it off.

Would that be Long Island Trout :eek:

backyardchef
08-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Would that be Long Island Trout :eek:

As long as it's not Coney Island Whitefish....http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/puke.gif

timzcardz
08-15-2007, 02:08 PM
As long as it's not Coney Island Whitefish....http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/puke.gif

Years ago, had a co-worker actually catch one of those while we were on a company fishing trip out of Sheepshead Bay! :shock:

Needless to say, he took quite a razzing about it. :icon_blush:

YankeeBBQ
08-15-2007, 02:19 PM

I believe we are refering to the same thing. The sewer discharge for the largest wastewater treatment plant in Massachusetts is near Long Island in Quincy MA. Some little latex things seem to make it through the treatment process intact

Sawdustguy
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM

You’ve missed the point, this isn't a Science Fair its a cooking contest. Aren't these contests supposed to be about creatively cooking using wood or charcoal?

F.Y.I. the grilling events are not KCBS. The ‘2007 Official KCBS Rules and Regulations /Judging Procedures’ doesn’t mention fish, seafood or even ‘pectinidaes’

If the organizer finds the need to make such definitive rules then they should make the specifics known well ahead of the contest. Not the week before the event, and certainly not to wait until the cooks meeting.

Remember, not everything that lives in the sea is a fish. If you feel that you want to cook something other than fish for the fish catagory be my guest. I won't argue with you. Just don't be surprised if you get DQ'ed. I didn't pick the catagory, write the rules or tell anyone what to do. I simply tried to help clarify it for some people. Also the organizers have chosen to use KCBS rules for the Grilling event. The following has been copied directly off of the Hudson Valley Ribfest Webpage:

The 2007 KCBS rules apply to both days of the contest. A rulebook may be obtained from the “Downloads” section to the right, or the KCBS website (www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us/).) Click on “Contest” on their menu bar, then click on “2007 Rule Book.”

I also believe that the catalory of "Fish" was announced when the website was updated for this years contest many months ago. So it was not selected just a week ago. I am sure the reason they specified Fish and not Seafoord is to level the playing field.

backyardchef
08-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I believe we are refering to the same thing. The sewer discharge for the largest wastewater treatment plant in Massachusetts is near Long Island in Quincy MA. Some little latex things seem to make it through the treatment process intact

I had a feeling......something like :icon_sick

bbqesq
08-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Guy,

Instead of a judging class, I think Guy should give a class on the different types of fish and seafood and what the difference is between a pectinidaes and a ostridaes.

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Remember, not everything that lives in the sea is a fish. If you feel that you want to cook something other than fish for the fish catagory be my guest. I won't argue with you. Just don't be surprised if you get DQ'ed. I didn't pick the catagory, write the rules or tell anyone what to do. I simply tried to help clarify it for some people. Also the organizers have chosen to use KCBS rules for the Grilling event. The following has been copied directly off of the Hudson Valley Ribfest Webpage:

The 2007 KCBS rules apply to both days of the contest. A rulebook may be obtained from the “Downloads” section to the right, or the KCBS website (www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us/).) Click on “Contest” on their menu bar, then click on “2007 Rule Book.”

I also believe that the catalory of "Fish" was announced when the website was updated for this years contest many months ago. So it was not selected just a week ago. I am sure the reason they specified Fish and not Seafoord is to level the playing field.

I have that downloaded and I would appreciate if someone could tell me where to reference the fish category, or the lamb category or the sausage for that matter.

I cannot find them anywhere. The only reference to meats I can find there are for the KCBS BBQ comp. I understand how the garnish rules carry over but I don't see anything about meats other than chicken, brisket, ribs and pork.

Not being a smart ass, just trying to sort this out. I really would like to know what the answer is, not just for the seafood but what about the sausage? Thats another term thats as broad as just saying "fish".

Q Haven
08-15-2007, 05:18 PM
From the contest application:

Saturday August 18, 2007: NEBS Grilling Contest
The New England Barbeque Society (NEBS) sanctions the competition, and all KCBS Rules will apply except for presentation as noted below. See the Rules and Regulations handbook for detailed information governing this
competition.

The main event will begin with turn-in promptly at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 18, 2007.

The fish may be from either fresh or saltwater fish. Only one type of fish may be used. Fish may be left whole for presentation.
All other entries must consist of six or more identifiable pieces. KCBS garnish rules apply to all entries.

7:00 Gates open for contest teams

8:00 Meat inspection for Saturday and Sunday begins
9:30 Last arrival with equipment not hand carried
12:00 Fish turn in
12:30 Lamb turn in
1:00 Sausage turn in
1:30 Beef Steak (of any kind) turn in
2:00 Meat inspection for Sunday continues at the convenience of the meat inspectors
3:00 (Approximately) Awards ceremony. Ceremony in Demonstration Tent.
COOKS' MEETING for Sunday's KCBS contest will be held shortly after completion

Sawdustguy
08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Guy,

Instead of a judging class, I think Guy should give a class on the different types of fish and seafood and what the difference is between a pectinidaes and a ostridaes.

It's easy, scollops are Pectinidaes and oysters are Ostreidaes. Don't ask me how I remember that. Many moons ago in college, I had to take an elective, so I took an Oceanography course and that much I remember. The sad thing is, on day to day stuff, I usually have CRS. I guess my mind is a terrible thing.:eek: :wink: :smile:

barfly
08-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Sushi Mod.

STUFF IT!

not you, the fish..

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2007, 07:52 PM
The fish may be from either fresh or saltwater fish. Only one type of fish may be used. Fish may be left whole for presentation.
All other entries must consist of six or more identifiable pieces. KCBS garnish rules apply to all entries.

but does that mean shrimp is a fish or not? I think they can live in fresh and salt water. Always counted as a fish on Friday during Lent. (catholic mod).

and I am not just busting chops....being serious, I would like to use shrimp if OK.

always thought it was a fish............

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-15-2007, 07:56 PM
According to the dictionary

fish 1 |fi sh |
noun ( pl. same or fishes )
a limbless cold-blooded vertebrate animal with gills and fins and living wholly in water

shrimp | sh rimp|
noun ( pl. same or shrimps )
a small free-swimming crustacean with an elongated body, typically marine and frequently harvested for food.

The Anchorman
08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Talk about beating a dead fish, I mean horse.............................

MAsQue
08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I sent Linda a note asking her to define "fish", "lamb" and "sausage". I threw in "steak" to avoid having to ask again later.

I'll post the official word when I get it.

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2007, 08:09 PM
I sent Linda a note asking her to define "fish", "lamb" and "sausage". I threw in "steak" to avoid having to ask again later.

I'll post the official word when I get it.

you are a gentleman and a scholar..........

MilitantSquatter
08-15-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm glad I decided not to enter the grilling events...

This is getting way too complicated...

Sledneck
08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Y'all should do fishsticks

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Y'all should do fishsticks

was thinking along those lines, but was thinking of going "uptown" and using crab cakes..:lol: :mrgreen: :cool:

Sledneck
08-15-2007, 08:20 PM
no of you have the balls to do it

The Anchorman
08-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Crab is not a fish.....:roll:

Sledneck
08-15-2007, 08:26 PM
that big grilling prize money must be worth it

Yakfishingfool
08-15-2007, 08:43 PM
OK, Muzzle's pushing the envelope here....I'm sensing DQ as a shrimp is a crustacean and not a true fish. While they share many habitats, I would have to DQ shrimp as a fish choice...just as I would discount a porpoise as a meal as well, despite their sharing the same environment. Scott

PS, considering fresh whale shark or perhaps ocean sunfish. Scott

Q Haven
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I am guessing (and planning as if) shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops, clams, oysters, crawfish would all be DQ's. But I am not the organizer the KCBS rep. It is up to them to clarify this.

ihbobry
08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Sweet Jesus, If it has a mandible it is a crustasean, if it has a valve and shell it is what everyone calls a shellfish.

The real issue is the intentional ignorance that is silly. Heck if you don't want to figure out the difference just to look smart I wouldn't want to eat your cookin'

Here's some good news:

http://localsearch.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sp?eId=100&gcId=2364289&rNum=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poughkeepsiejournal.com%2Fapp s%2Fpbcs.dll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D2007708150311&siteIdType=2 (http://localsearch.poughkeepsiejournal.com/sp?eId=100&gcId=2364289&rNum=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.poughkeepsiejournal.com%2Fapp s%2Fpbcs.dll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D2007708150311&siteIdType=2)

MilitantSquatter
08-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Just to add fuel to this debacle....

I like mussels (preferably served in a fra diavolo sauce) with lots of garlic...

lunchlady
08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
mmmmmmmm...mussels.

Best of luck to everyone who is grilling in Hudson Valley!

By the way, anyone with SERIOUS suggestions about general grilling guidelines please feel free to PM me. I am gathering information. THANKS!

Sledneck
08-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Just to add fuel to this debacle....

I like mussels (preferably served in a fra diavolo sauce) with lots of garlic...
i like them with vincents marinara sauce

Yakfishingfool
08-15-2007, 09:35 PM
I learned to enjoy mussles by not chewing...more like one or two mauls and swallow. Scott

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Sweet Jesus, If it has a mandible it is a crustasean, if it has a valve and shell it is what everyone calls a shellfish.

The real issue is the intentional ignorance that is silly. Heck if you don't want to figure out the difference just to look smart I wouldn't want to eat your cookin'

OK I dont know if you are implying that I am being ignorant or silly but I apologize if you think that is the real issue.
If me thinking that a shrimp might be considered a fish makes you not want to eat my cookin, yeah oh well guess it sucks to be me.
In my travels I have seen shrimp referred to as shellfish many times in more than one language and in more than one place.

The real issue that is being discussed here is;

I am guessing (and planning as if) shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops, clams, oysters, crawfish would all be DQ's. But I am not the organizer the KCBS rep. It is up to them to clarify this.

I am guessing (and planning as if) shrimp are OK just like Ted is guessing its not. As he so wisely states we aint the organizer, its up to them to clarify. All the rest of us are doing is guessing and what is wrong with asking anyway? How bad would it suck if say all of them were OK and you wind up losing to a lobster you didnt think was legal?

Yakfishingfool
08-15-2007, 09:57 PM
You're bringing fish sticks as a back up aren't you :)

Sawdustguy
08-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Sean,

Don't take the comments the wrong way. We are only trying to help you. If you don't believe us that a shrimp or lobster is not a fish, we have no control over that. All we are saying is that you are likely to be DQ'ed if you cook your Shrimp and we don't want to see anyone DQ'ed.

Sledneck
08-15-2007, 10:04 PM
You're bringing fish sticks as a back up aren't you :)
like i said none of these guys have the cajones

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Sean,

Don't take the comments the wrong way. We are only trying to help you. If you don't believe us that a shrimp or lobster is not a fish, we have no control over that. All we are saying is that you are likely to be DQ'ed if you cook your Shrimp and we don't want to see anyone DQ'ed.

Guy,

no worries about that and thanks for trying to help. I had planned all along to ask first anyway to get it straight from the rulemakers.......
I also planned a back up so at worst we would have 6-8 more pieces to eat.

MAsQue
08-15-2007, 10:55 PM
you are a gentleman and a scholar..........

I'm just concerned that Linda thinks I'm a PITA and a couple of neurons short of a synapse. I'm thinking of simplifying my life by sticking to grilling vegetables. (And before the question comes up, no, I do not care to know the difference between a fruit and a vegetable. Thank you.) :wink:

Muzzlebrake
08-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm just concerned that Linda thinks I'm a PITA and a couple of neurons short of a synapse. I'm thinking of simplifying my life by sticking to grilling vegetables. (And before the question comes up, no, I do not care to know the difference between a fruit and a vegetable. Thank you.) :wink:

so now would a tomato be a veggie........

:biggrin:

Sawdustguy
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM

No worries there. I only took that oceanography course, I never took an agricultural course.

Sawdustguy
08-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Guy,

no worries about that and thanks for trying to help. I had planned all along to ask first anyway to get it straight from the rulemakers.......
I also planned a back up so at worst we would have 6-8 more pieces to eat.

Word up!:biggrin:

BigBarry
08-16-2007, 01:39 AM
7:00 Gates open for contest teams

8:00 Meat inspection for Saturday and Sunday begins

9:30 Last arrival with equipment not hand carried
12:00 Fish turn in
12:30 Lamb turn in
1:00 Sausage turn in
1:30 Beef Steak (of any kind) turn in
2:00 Meat inspection for Sunday continues at the convenience of the meat inspectors
3:00 (Approximately) Awards ceremony. Ceremony in Demonstration Tent.
COOKS' MEETING for Sunday's KCBS contest will be held shortly after completion

From the (UPDATED and never notified) contest application:

Lamb, no fruit on Sat.

Glad I read this thread!!

Greg

pigmaker23
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
This is what we are turning in !!!

MAsQue
08-16-2007, 11:08 AM
The final word from Linda:

This is supposed to be fun, guys lets lighten it up a little.

The rules regarding KCBS are on the KCBS website as stated. The rules for the grilling are on the application for the competition. If you go to the Ribfest website you can download the application if you don't have a copy. It gives you all of the grilling categories, times for turnin etc. If you have any other questions, we will be onsite about 5PM Friday and a cooks meeting is scheduled for 7:30

Sausage is any items minced pork, beef, or other items, often combined, together with various added ingredients and seasonings, usually stuffed into a prepared intestine or other casing and often made in links. Does not have to be in a casing. Must be cooked on site. The lamb can be any cut as well as the steak. Fish is any salt water or fresh water fish, not crustation. That means no lobster or Shrimp..... Hope this helps.

See you there,
Linda

MAsQue
08-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Just to clarify Linda's ban on crustaceans, I think we can reasonably extend that to include bivalves of any sort, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, turtles, sea snakes, any thing warm-blooded, coral, sponges including but not limited to loofahs, jellyfish, abalone, limpets, barnacles, conch and other snails, plankton and krill. Penguins are right out.

Yakfishingfool
08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Does this exclude brackish water fish such as red fish? Just trying to understand and stir the pot ;)

Q Haven
08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Well the good news is that it looks like we will have perfect weather all weekend! Lows in the 50s at night!

Weather for Highland, NY

Fri (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USNY0655?dayNum=1)
Aug 17
Sunny74°/56

Sat (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USNY0655?dayNum=2)
Aug 18
Sunny71°/53°

Sun (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USNY0655?dayNum=3)
Aug 19
Partly Cloudy73°/58°

Transformer BBQ
08-16-2007, 11:34 AM
so now would a tomato be a veggie........

:biggrin:

According to the Supreme Court it is...

but... wait... sort of...

"But due to the scientific definition of a fruit and a vegetable, the tomato remains a fruit when not dealing with US tariffs. Nor is it the only culinary vegetable that is a botanical fruit: eggplants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant), cucumbers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber), and squashes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_%28fruit%29) of all kinds (including zucchini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchini) and pumpkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin)) share the same ambiguity."

my brain hurts...

SmokeInDaEye
08-16-2007, 01:18 PM
To be 100% clear, this is what a fish looks like.

backyardchef
08-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Are these ok? I guess you would need 6 of them....
http://www.ayershome.org/users/eric/robots/billy/rock_fish.jpg

YankeeBBQ
08-16-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm gonna try Sled's 13th place Fish Stickshttp://www.japanwindow.com/images/20050803052614_050725_nagano-fish0.jpg

BBQchef33
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
im carving an apple up like a fish and submitting one on each day.

Nitrofly
08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Good luck to all you fellow Brethren
Have a few beers for me.. Not too many
I can't be drunk at work.. Have a great
weekend

BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!

Yakfishingfool
08-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Pffft....I'm carving a fish stick to look like and apple!!!!

Muzzlebrake
08-16-2007, 04:49 PM
To be 100% clear, this is what a fish looks like.

my fishmonger claims to have never seen anything like that before.:eek:

so if I have this right then....no whales, shrimp, penguins, clams, coral or sea urchins.
but apple fish sticks are OK?
what about a shrimp sausage?

Yakfishingfool
08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Muzzle....i do believe penguin sausage to be acceptable. As sausage is defined as ground up animal in an intestine.....MMMMmmmmmm....emporer penguin sausage with sage......mmmmmmmmmmm.....or how about Puffin breakfast sausage!

Muzzlebrake
08-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Puffin breakfast sausage.............

is that like "wake and bake"?

MAsQue
08-16-2007, 06:43 PM

If I had a shrimp sausage, I wouldn't go telling everyone about it.

I was thinking of making a sort of apple charlotte. I could line the charlotte pan with fish sticks for the crust, then chop the apples and lamb together for the filling. Put the whole thing in a Dutch oven on the grill and I've got three of the four categories covered. I just need something to do with my sausage.

Muzzlebrake
08-16-2007, 06:49 PM
I was thinking of making a sort of apple charlotte. I could line the charlotte pan with fish sticks for the crust, then chop the apples and lamb together for the filling. Put the whole thing in a Dutch oven on the grill and I've got three of the four categories covered. I just need something to do with my sausage.

now stuff all of that is some intestines..........

timzcardz
08-16-2007, 07:16 PM
now stuff all of that is some intestines..........If you put all of that together and eat it, I'd bet that it will be stuffed in your intestines in no time at all!

SmokeInDaEye
08-16-2007, 07:40 PM
my fishmonger claims to have never seen anything like that before.:eek:

so if I have this right then....no whales, shrimp, penguins, clams, coral or sea urchins.
but apple fish sticks are OK?

Technically it is a red fish. On a seperate note, do there have to be bones in the ribs? (figured you all needed something new to talk about as you pack for the contest).

Good luck all. Wish I was making a return trip this year!

ique
08-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Good luck all. Wish I was making a return trip this year!

:idea: We could use some help drinking beer....

SmokeInDaEye
08-16-2007, 09:11 PM

Cooking competition que, I'm not so good at. Beer drinking? Award winning every time.:biggrin:

Seriously, I wish I could break away and come up. I had a BLAST last year.

Sawdustguy
08-16-2007, 09:23 PM

Chris,

We have never met. Stop by our site and have a beer with a lame Polock.

Westexbbq
08-16-2007, 09:29 PM

I can help, years of experience, until I hit the judges meeting Sunday morning.
(There may be a Kris Kristofferson song in there somewhere.)

CTSmokehouse
08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Good luck to all you fellow Brethren
Have a few beers for me.. Not too many
I can't be drunk at work.. Have a great
weekend

BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!

I still hear you from Lime Rock! Hope you'll be at HVRF! Won't be the same with silence!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

rbsnwngs
08-16-2007, 10:39 PM

i'll give you all the help you need

White Dog BBQ
08-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Hey Guys,

New to the forum, but we'll be at New Paltz. Looking forward to it!

Erik

CTSmokehouse
08-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Cooking competition que, I'm not so good at. Beer drinking? Award winning every time.:biggrin:

Seriously, I wish I could break away and come up. I had a BLAST (literally)last year.

Hope you can make it... expect we will be in the swamp this year...will miss you blowing by us literally... please fly in...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Muzzlebrake
08-16-2007, 11:10 PM

OK we're in

lunchlady
08-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Won't be the same with silence!!

I'm thinkin' someone will take up the call... lunchmeat is OFF... for us, August is for sitting by the pool, drinkin' blender drinks and playing with the new Egg, thinking of you all in NY... maybe we'll yell from here!

Would someone post what's happening from there, please!?!
I am a junkie for this sh*t, even when we are 'relaxing'.

BBQchef33
08-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Would someone post what's happening from there, please!?!
I am a junkie for this sh*t, even when we are 'relaxing'.

i'll have an internet link.. everyone can come in and leave u love notes. :cool:

Yakfishingfool
08-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Oh crap, luv notes from Poo's trailer. I'm getting worried. Will see you all this evening. Getting out of work about 5pm and home to get the camper and head down. There around 7-7:30pm. Scott

Lakeside Smoker
08-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Have a great time everyone!!!! Wish we were there.

Lakeside Smoker
08-18-2007, 07:43 AM
This came from Yankee BBQ on another forum last night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hudson Valley Chaos

A microburst went through complete with high winds, hale and extreme
lightning. Many ez ups were destroyed. We came through unscathed but
others were not so lucky. No injuries that I know of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone is alright.

parrothead
08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
This came from Yankee BBQ on another forum last night.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hudson Valley Chaos

A microburst went through complete with high winds, hale and extreme
lightning. Many ez ups were destroyed. We came through unscathed but
others were not so lucky. No injuries that I know of.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone is alright.

Me too. Any updates?

WannaBeBBQueen
08-18-2007, 08:17 AM
update????

BBQ_MAFIA
08-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Mrs Mafia and I are going to take a drive up to say hello and good luck to all the brothers.

See ya in a few hours.

SmokeInDaEye
08-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Spoke to Phil and fortunatley it sounds like everyone is OK, aside from some lost property which can be replaced. It was a fast moving storm that damaged a lot of tents and a couple trailers (a rumor of a mini tornado touching down in the middle of the park but I can't find any news stories on it), lots of rain and hail.

Phil also had enchiladas for dinner so that may have blown a couple tents over as well.:biggrin: They're getting ready for the grilling contest now.

backyardchef
08-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Fire in the hole!

Westexbbq
08-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Leaving shortly, good luck to all and best regards,
looks like nice weather from here on in.
Hope all are well.

Solidkick
08-18-2007, 04:18 PM
I just had a quick conversation with Phil, just before he was to begin prepping his Sunday full smoke comp meats...here is how they did in grilling....

1st place steak
middle of the pack fish and lamb

Phil self disqualified his entry in sausage after a discussion with another competitor that the entry was to be raw and cooked onsite. Phil's sausage entry was previously cooked and re-heated onsite, so in fairness to the competition, he asked that it not judged as a qualifying entry.....
Does this guy show he has integrity or what?

Nice going guys and best of luck tomorrow!!

Lakeside Smoker
08-18-2007, 05:22 PM
I just had a quick conversation with Phil, just before he was to begin prepping his Sunday full smoke comp meats...here is how they did in grilling....

1st place steak
middle of the pack fish and lamb

Phil self disqualified his entry in sausage after a discussion with another competitor that the entry was to be raw and cooked onsite. Phil's sausage entry was previously cooked and re-heated onsite, so in fairness to the competition, he asked that it not judged as a qualifying entry.....
Does this guy show he has integrity or what?

Nice going guys and best of luck tomorrow!!

Any full results?

SmokeInDaEye
08-18-2007, 08:52 PM
i'll have an internet link.. everyone can come in and leave u love notes. :cool:

What happened to the Internet link, Mr. Fancy Pants? We want results!

YankeeBBQ
08-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Uncle Jed's Grand
Anchormen Reserve..........Again !!

YankeeBBQ
08-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Grand Uncle Jed's
Reserve Anchormen
3rd iQue
4th Q Haven
5th I Smell Smoke !!!

Fish
1 Baba'a BBQ
2 Q Haven
3 Fat Angel BBQSau
4 Lo-N-Slo
5 I Like Smoke n Lightning

Lamb
1 Lo- n- Slo
2 Uncle Jed's
3 iQue
4 Muzzle Brake Outfitters
5 Purple Turtle

Sausage
1 Ribs Within
2 Q Haven
3 Q Wannabee's
4 Ma's Que Crew
5 Jack's Down Home
(6)I Smell Smoke !!!

Beef Steak
1 BBQ Brethrn.com
2 Uncle Jed's
3 Better BBQ Bureau
4 Anchormen
5 Boneyard Smokers

Lakeside Smoker
08-19-2007, 10:17 AM
WTG Brethren!!!! 4 out of the top 5!!
Congrats to all who walked!

Mike

backyardchef
08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Nice! Great job everybody!

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Hey! Not too bad! Congrats everyone.

Pig Headed
08-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Congrats everyone. Anchormen, you've got reserve down pat, now let's get a grand.

Plowboy
08-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Sweet!!! BBQ contest is today, right?

WannaBeBBQueen
08-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Congrats to everyone, nice showing!!:biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Sweet!!! BBQ contest is today, right?

Yep. Should have done the awards already.

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2007, 05:42 PM
ique - gc
dirty dick & the legless wonders - reserve
I smell smoke - 3rd overall

Willy B - 2nd place chicken, 9th over
Bad Bones (militant squatter - 10th overall
fat angel, 4th chicken
anchormen, 13th chicken
lost nation, 2nd ribs
poobah, 4th in pork & DQ in brisket

That's all I got for now.

Lakeside Smoker
08-19-2007, 06:17 PM
WTG Chris!!
Any full results?

lunchlady
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Excellent! Congrats to the iQue crew, Dirty Dick's Legless Wonders and ISS!!!

Thanks for the updates CLINT!

lunchlady

parrothead
08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
DQ in brisket? WTF?

The_Kapn
08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
DQ in brisket? WTF?

He probably turned in Prime Rib. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats to all who walked---You make us proud!

TIM

parrothead
08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
He probably turned in Prime Rib. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats to all who walked---You make us proud!

TIM

Just talked to Phil. It was a late turn in. Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Plowboy
08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
ique - gc

fat angel, 4th chicken
anchormen, 13th chicken
lost nation, 2nd ribs

How did Q-Haven do? Any other brothers?

BBQ_MAFIA
08-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Congrats to all.

It was great to see those who I have already met and those who's hand I got to shake for the first time.

Some day I'm going to have to try this comp thing.

parrothead
08-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Congrats to all.

It was great to see those who I have already met and those who's hand I got to shake for the first time.

Some day I'm going to have to try this comp thing.

Step over to the dark side if you must.

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
How did Q-Haven do? Any other brothers?

Sledneck just gave me the top level debrief. Wonder if Willy B beat Jack McDavid in ribs again?:biggrin:

Muzzlebrake
08-19-2007, 09:24 PM
OK just got back..... wow what a great time even if they dont allow shrimp!

Always a good time to see bunches of the Brethren showing off thier skills, be it grilling, Qing, judging or drinking (some of our best drinkers were lost to the judging......)
We did fair in the grilling, not well in the Q, but drank everyone to bed both nights and had the coolest Brethren Banner on the Row!
Lotsa Brethren got calls, too many for my mushy brain to remember.....
Lotsa judges (when seeing the ultra cool banner, pics to follow I promise)asking me if it was me that tried cheating on the sausage turn in.........
Doing my best LT Dan impression into the face of a wild crazy hailstorm as tents and debris went flying by.....
All in all what a good tome more details and some pics to follow....
The kind of event that will remind you why we do this!

Sledneck
08-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Congratulations to the Anchormen on their 13th place chicken!

Westexbbq
08-19-2007, 09:41 PM
"Always a good time to see bunches of the Brethren showing off thier skills, be it grilling, Qing, judging or drinking (some of our best drinkers were lost to the judging......)"

Well, sometimes we need to re-hydrate!
Great time and congrats to all who were there, great team efforts all around.

MilitantSquatter
08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Got home a little while ago.

10th place overall. Pretty pleased with the results knowing that there are some incredible teams this way who prove time and time again that they are the best. I was satisfied with my turn ins.

Only thing I did not like was the Certified Judge comment card that said "Chicken had good taste, but the skin was a little rubbery".

Skin was really not that rubbery at all, and supposedly it should not be factor in the scoring.

Too tired to type more.. Somehow my father and I managed to breakdown, clean everything properly and pack up in an just over an hour.. I did not stop after turn ins, but I'm feeling it now.

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Got home a little while ago.

10th place overall. Pretty pleased with the results knowing that there are some incredible teams this way who prove time and time again that they are the best. I was satisfied with my turn ins.

Only thing I did not like was the Certified Judge comment card that said "Chicken had good taste, but the skin was a little rubbery".

Skin was really not that rubbery at all, and supposedly it should not be factor in the scoring.

Too tired to type more.. Somehow my father and I managed to breakdown, clean everything properly and pack up in an just over an hour.. I did not stop after turn ins, but I'm feeling it now.

They gave you judges comment cards? That's pretty helpful, rubbery skin be damned.

The Anchorman
08-19-2007, 10:49 PM
ique - gc

fat angel, 4th chicken
anchormen, 13th chicken
lost nation, 2nd ribs

The Anchormen, 2nd Place Brisket, 6th place overall:-D
11th Ribs, 13th chicken, don't ask Pork.
Got home at 9:45 a 3 hour and 45 minute ride.

Congrats everyone. Anchormen, you've got reserve down pat, now let's get a grand.

We keep knocking on the door but no answer!:sad:

MAsQue
08-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Overall, top quarter plus all Brethren teams:

Overall:

GC - I Que
RGC - Dirty Dick
3. I Smell Smoke
4. Better BBQ Bureau
5. Vinegar Hill
6. Anchormen
7. Yankee BBQ Boys