View Full Version : Cooker certification?

01-18-2007, 06:18 PM
I have a question.

Is there any type of food service inspection or certification for a BBQ smoker used to cook food served to the public?

If I want to cook "Q" in 55 gal. drums is anyone from the health department going to inspect my drums? Is there a standard for construction for smokers?

As long as it is clean is that all that matters?

01-18-2007, 06:24 PM

For big 'uns like Southern Pride, Cookshack, etc. you'd need UL approval for the wiring - I know the FEC500 and FEC750 are NSF and UL approved.

Most other cookers have not been offered up for inspection - both UL and NSF are voluntary...though well worth it for the commercial builders that expect their equipment to be used "indoors".

Clean would be the main consideration - assuming an inspector ever tracked you down.

01-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Chad hit it on the nose. NSF certification is not mandatory. Sure makes the inspector easier to deal with though.

01-18-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm sure I posted on this subject somewhere.
But our health inspector is primarily designated to the inside of the building.
I could probably cook in a shopping cart, and much wouldn't be said.
The only thing AZ law says about outdoor cooking is that it can't be served outdoors directly from a grill or smoker.
It has to be brought inside to be served, then the individual can take it outside and eat it if they want.