PDA

View Full Version : No more Grill Kings?

BrooklynQ
12-11-2006, 12:57 AM
Nlo more grill kings, period.
nancee

Ok - Nancee - you can't drop that in here without an explanation. What's the story lady?

nancee
12-11-2006, 08:07 AM
heard back from Dean. They have decided not to continue with this event. They are too busy and don't need the bs.
nancee

Ok - Nancee - you can't drop that in here without an explanation. What's the story lady?

Sawdustguy
12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Rob,

You and Matt may want to run with this. Your own KCBS contest.

BrooklynQ
12-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I got confirmation this morning from another source. Nancee's right. No more Grill Kings. It's a sad day.

Wine & Swine
12-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Rob, that stinks, how hard would it be to take their info and put something together. I would definitley be interested in being a part. I am sure the space is already confimed.

backyardchef
12-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Rob,

You and Matt may want to run with this. Your own KCBS contest.

I was thinking the same thing Guy. :idea:

Wine & Swine
12-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Matt, you guys have to do it, if only for WillieB. As I said they have done all of the ground work already, maybe they would even give/loan you the website as a start as well.

CTSmokehouse
12-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Wow! Sorry to hear the news. That is very disappointing. I was looking forward to participating as a competitor. I judged this past year. This year was difficult but the Brethren pulled together and made it a memorable event. Hope that you can replace Grill Kings. You have my support.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Rockaway BeachBQ
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
I don't see why anyone would want to take over that contest. Much better to get a fresh clean start. The website is still up and the sponsor list is all that you would really want anyway.

Wine & Swine
12-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I think it would be beneficial to show that BBQ is alive on Long Island. Most people have never been but did hear about it on the radio or in Newsday, etc. Besides having a bit of a legacy (4 years) you have already overcome a number of obstacles (location, permits (especially alcohol), sponsors, etc). Again of the potential millions of patrons only a few thousand ever actually went to the event so the problems are only known to a few (and those are mainly the competitors).

Rockaway BeachBQ
12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
If the two big reasons for taking over the contest are the site and name recognition. I think it is an even bigger reason not to take over. The site last year was horrible, and the Grill Kings contest was blasted in most of the Major BBQ Forums. You would be stuck trying to convince people that it was finally going to go right after Four previous failures.

Westexbbq
12-11-2006, 11:22 AM
I will volunteer to assist in this endeavor any way I can, so put me in coach;
I'm sure others will as well.

SmokeInDaEye
12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Man, that's really dissapointing. It may have had some serious issues this year but it was great to have something in our own backyard. With a face-lift, we could make this huge.

BBQchef33
12-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Relax ladies..

I am getting the scoop.

Sledneck
12-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I can get a block party permit on my street and yall could come down and cook and drink instead. Seriously though i am very dissapointed and was really looking forward to it. We still have grillin on the bay as well as hudson and asbury nearby. Grill Kings sleeps with the fishes

Q Haven
12-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Don't forget that there may be three Connecticut KCBS events this year, including one possibly in Ridgefield, which is less than an hour from NYC.

CTSmokehouse
12-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Don't forget that there may be three Connecticut KCBS events this year, including one possibly in Ridgefield, which is less than an hour from NYC.

I'm especially looking forward to the possible comp in Ridgefield. I have had some input with the group that is sponsoring it. The site they have chosen is a good one (on grass). You all can stay at my house...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

nancee
12-11-2006, 01:03 PM
what can anyone tell me about this ridgefield contest? I have a difficult time believing it can happen
nancee

motoeric
12-11-2006, 01:08 PM
If anyone is interested in trying to fill Grill Kings shoes, please let me know. I have ten years of experience in event management and would be happy to help in any way that I can.

PM me or shoot me an email.

Eric Devlin
saberinc@prodigy.net

willkat98
12-11-2006, 01:11 PM
after Four previous failures.

I thought I recalled it was a pretty good contest when it was smaller in their earlier years (when Willie B one, then Phil and Greg won)?

I wasnt there, so I don't know, but I recalled conversations that were positive back then.

And I think one very positive thing that came out of the Grill King contests was all the publicity in the paper was able to bring alot of you NY and North East folks together here at the Brethren site.

I see alot of people here after the events and articles that all seem to be friends now, of some sort or other.

We use to tease Phil about being the only one from NY, and now there are a ton here (Smoker, Sledneck, BYC, Brooklyn, CT, Westex, Rockaway, Wine, Smoke Eye, Willie, Phil, etc etc)

Maybe it wasn't Grill Kings or the surrounding publicity, or the Newsday article on Phil leading up to the event, that brought you all here, but I think it might have helped. Just getting exposure in the North East is a good thing.

But like I said, I wasnt there, so what do I know

CTSmokehouse
12-11-2006, 01:20 PM
what can anyone tell me about this ridgefield contest? I have a difficult time believing it can happen
nancee

I understand that the applications are in to KCBS and NEBS. I have a little bit of wonder if it can happen and then again why not? Not a bad commute from Norwalk! You might even be able get prep done and relax with everyone else....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

YankeeBBQ
12-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I understand that the applications are in to KCBS. I have a little bit of wonder if it can happen and then again why not? Not a bad commute from Norwalk! You might even be able get prep done and relax with everyone else....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Who is running the event ? Do they have any experience in running a bbq competition ? Will it just be a comp or is there a larger event going on ?

backyardchef
12-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Who knows what will happen with contests in the future. Despite what has been said, Grill Kings did bring attention to the sport of bbq and helped inspire people in this immediate area-- which are good things in my book.

I would never presume to try and fill their shoes and IF I was involved in any 'similar' contest, it would not be run to 'do better than Grill Kings' or as a reaction to what they did. It would be an entirely different contest. Maybe some people who complained in the past wanted to 'hurt' that contest, but I doubt if the majority of people wanted to end it. Kudos to those guys for putting their money where their mouth was (is?).

Sledneck
12-11-2006, 02:59 PM
I was kind of bummed until i came home and told my son now i am REALLY BUMMED and so is he! THIS SUCKS!!!! Going thru the emotions. disbelief, stunned surprised, depressed then angry then drunk........well at least the last part will cheer me up!

BBQchef33
12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Before throwing dirt on an empty grave, can we just hold off until I find out whats going on for sure. I'd hate to fuel a rumor mill.

Westexbbq
12-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Well said,
I have both a call and an email in to try and glean the whole story but the trees on the block party are pretty darn inviting............
and then there is always the parking lot at Willie B's.

Sawdustguy
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Well said,
I have both a call and an email in to try and glean the whole story but the trees on the block party are pretty darn inviting............
and then there is always the parking lot at Willie B's.

A block party would simply be a bash. But for those of us who love to compete, this is definitely a blow. This was Long Island's BBQ Contest and I am praying it is just a rumor.:sad:

CTSmokehouse
12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Who is running the event ? Do they have any experience in running a bbq competition ? Will it just be a comp or is there a larger event going on ?

The Ridgefield Chamber of Commerce is running the event. They have members with experience in KCBS comps in KC. It will be very professionally run. It will be a comp. fund raiser for the Chamber. It will be on grass with hills and trees hence Ridgefield. They have applied to the Governor of Connecticut to make it a State Championship.

It took just a little over an hour to get to Grill Kings with traffic from here. I'm hoping that our BBQ Brethren will make the trip. I enjoyed Grill Kings and am hopeful it will be replaced with a new venue in L.I..

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

nancee
12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
OK, I seem to have started this and I swore it was my one and only post to the subject but I got to add something.

You guys(us) did this to yourselves. Period. Shot yourselves in the foot. All the negative coverage took this event away from us. Go back and look at the things you wrote and said last summer...would you feel any differently than Dean? Particuarally if it was your $$ footing the bill?

Were there issues with this contest? Yes. Were they worse than any others? Not necessarily. Was the venue worse? Not necessarily...go to douglas, kc, etc etc...and you can't blame the guy for weather!!! So let us all think twice about what we say/write as it may come back to bite us.
nancee

Who knowse worsewhat will happen with contests in the future. Despite what has been said, Grill Kings did bring attention to the sport of bbq and helped inspire people in this immediate area-- which are good things in my book.

I would never presume to try and fill their shoes and IF I was involved in any 'similar' contest, it would not be run to 'do better than Grill Kings' or as a reaction to what they did. It would be an entirely different contest. Maybe some people who complained in the past wanted to 'hurt' that contest, but I doubt if the majority of people wanted to end it. Kudos to those guys for putting their money where their mouth was (is?).

CTSmokehouse
12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
A block party would simply be a bash. But for those of us who love to compete, this is definitely a blow. This was Long Island's BBQ Contest and I am praying it is just a rumor.:sad:

It is a blow, I'm hoping that you are right that it is a rumor. I've enjoyed meeting the Brethren from L.I. and you deserve a venue. You're alot of fun and have been very supportive, you deserve better. I feel badly that I may have exposed the situation.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

nancee
12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Cliff, any reason they chose to bypass NEBS on this? Do we know what dates they are looking for?
thanks
nancee

The Ridgefield Chamber of Commerce is running the event. They have members with experience in KCBS comps in KC. It will be very professionally run. It will be a comp. fund raiser for the Chamber. It will be on grass with hills and trees hence Ridgefield. They have applied to the Governor of Connecticut to make it a State Championship.

It took just a little over an hour to get to Grill Kings with traffic from here. I'm hoping that our BBQ Brethren will make the trip. I enjoyed Grill Kings and am hopeful it will be replaced with a new venue in L.I..

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse
12-11-2006, 11:01 PM
To my understanding they did not bypass NEBS. If they did it was not intentional. We would love to have NEBS support. I gave them the contact information and they told me they had applied to both the KCBS and the NEBS. As part of the application process they gave one date in June, one in July and one in August. They are awaiting from the officiating groups for the date. They would like a July venue if possible.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sawdustguy
12-12-2006, 06:11 AM
OK, I seem to have started this and I swore it was my one and only post to the subject but I got to add something.

You guys(us) did this to yourselves. Period. Shot yourselves in the foot. All the negative coverage took this event away from us. Go back and look at the things you wrote and said last summer...would you feel any differently than Dean? Particuarally if it was your $$ footing the bill?

Were there issues with this contest? Yes. Were they worse than any others? Not necessarily. Was the venue worse? Not necessarily...go to douglas, kc, etc etc...and you can't blame the guy for weather!!! So let us all think twice about what we say/write as it may come back to bite us.
nancee

Not every team complained, we kept our mouths shut. We were also happy because we would have finished in the top ten if not for the chicken incident, which had nothing to do with The Grill Kings.

bigabyte
12-12-2006, 07:00 AM
I wasn't there, but I remember reading about the problems on this forum and another forum a few months back. While reading it was cancelled on the other forum I searched through the archives and read what was said. I suppose time has settled many ruffled feathers, that's the only explanation I can find. Those who said anything had only very, very bad things to say, and all said they would not return to Grill Kings. Nobody stepped up to support the contest after the fact either. From the sounds of what I read, they wouldn't be able to pull it together anyway, and even if they did nobody would show up.

Just my observations. Feel free to disagree, but you should read the old posts first.

ON EDIT - The slamming I refer to was from the comments on the other forum. I searched here as well and did see comments that can only be considered constructive in threads about the letter from Grill Kings and the Poll. Just wanted to clear the air.

BBQchef33
12-12-2006, 08:23 AM

nancee

THANK YOU!

Well SAID!!!!

SmokeInDaEye
12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
THANK YOU!

Well SAID!!!!

Regardless, I hope we can learn from it and find a way to lend our support to someone willing to give another NYC/LI event a chance.

I, for one, wouldn't be a brethren today if it wasn't for last year's Grill Kings so I'm kinda sentimental over the loss.:sad:

BrooklynQ
12-12-2006, 09:37 AM

nancee

That's complete and utter Bull Sh-t and you know it. What are cooks supposed to do, bend over and accept the swats with a thank you Sir may I have another becuase Grill Kings is the only game in town? Fark that.

By your reasoning, we shouldn't be talking about contests that are well run either.

I went back and read over what I wrote both here and on my blog. I was completely fair and measured in my comments. I could have written a lot more.

Part of my dilema with the blog is what I choose to write. Over the last couple of years, many of the names in the BBQ world have become faces, personalities and in some cases friends. I chose to promote Grill Kings, at my own expense, prior to the event. I felt I had a responsibilty to my readers to be honest about what happened there. If the event was great, no one would have bitched, but it wasn't. Grill Kings 2006 SUCKED.

I'm not going to go over it all point by point again, there's no reason to start that arguement up again, but last year's Grill Kings was totally mismanaged. With all the problems there, it all boiled down to a management team who didn't give a rat's ass about the cooks. 90% of their wounds were self-inflicted and could have been corrected with a little communication with the teams.

As my buddy Romero, who cooked there, said when we were locked in and not allowed to leave:"We're his ****ing circus acts. He's getting paid by the public to see us and we're paying for the opportunity. Who's the real ******* here?"

Am I sad to see Grill Kings shut down? Yes and no. Because if Dean and Sal lived up to their promises of re-organization and re-thinking, it could have been a great event this year. But, if it was going to be another roll out of last year's event, hell no.

YankeeBBQ
12-12-2006, 09:46 AM
That's complete and utter Bull Sh-t and you know it. What are cooks supposed to do, bend over and accept the swats with a thank you Sir may I have another becuase Grill Kings is the only game in town? Fark that.

By your reasoning, we shouldn't be talking about contests that are well run either.

I went back and read over what I wrote both here and on my blog, which I never miss a chance to promote is ***********************.COM (************************************). I was completely fair and measured in my comments. I could have written a lot more.

Part of my dilema with the blog is what I choose to write. Over the last couple of years, many of the names in the BBQ world have become faces, personalities and in some cases friends. I chose to promote Grill Kings, at my own expense, prior to the event. I felt I had a responsibilty to my readers to be honest about what happened there. If the event was great, no one would have bitched, but it wasn't. Grill Kings 2006 SUCKED.

I'm not going to go over it all point by point again, there's no reason to start that arguement up again, but last year's Grill Kings was totally mismanaged. With all the problems there, it all boiled down to a management team who didn't give a rat's ass about the cooks. 90% of their wounds were self-inflicted and could have been corrected with a little communication with the teams.

As my buddy Romero, who cooked there, said when we were locked in and not allowed to leave:"We're his ****ing circus acts. He's getting paid by the public to see us and we're paying for the opportunity. Who's the real ******* here?"

Am I sad to see Grill Kings shut down? Yes and no. Because if Dean and Sal lived up to their promises of re-organization and re-thinking, it could have been a great event this year. But, if it was going to be another roll out of last year's event, hell no.
At least your consistent :rolleyes:

backyardchef
12-12-2006, 09:49 AM
I went back and read over what I wrote both here and on my blog, which I never miss a chance to promote is backyardchef.blogspot.com (http://backyardchef.blogspot.com/). I was completely fair and measured in my comments. I could have written a lot more.

I chose to promote Grill Kings...prior to the event. I felt I had a responsibilty to my readers to be honest....

I went on tv to promote the event, talked to newspapers and magazines, pimped it on the web and wrote about it on my blog, too. I was excited about Grill Kings-- a big, nationally respected bbq contest in NY? Hell yes. Unfortunately, the event didn't live up to potential. It happens. But people had a right to be upset and to even talk about it. I'm sorry those guys feel set upon, but they didn't reach out to very many people to make it right, and the offers to help before the event were also rebuffed. If people complain they don't get a contest?

Jorge
12-12-2006, 11:10 AM

I went back and read over what I wrote both here and on my blog, which I never miss a chance to promote is ***********************.COM (************************************). I was completely fair and measured in my comments. I could have written a lot more.

I just finished reading the old threads regarding this event. You and I also spent some time together under the tent during the event. I think we experienced most of the problems together.

You promoted the event in advance. I'm sure that is appreciated by all, as I know I do. Since then you have managed to promote yourself, your blog, and your grilling event in conjunction with ripping Dean, Sal, and Grill Kings....or that's the way I've perceived it to some extent.

In this link ************************************/ , you say some nice things about the event. The title isn't quite as generous.

Did you have anyone in mind for the second contest in this post http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=271980&postcount=37 , that is from this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19173&highlight=Grill+kings ?

See my point? If not, I can provide more links. Do I know you well enough to "know" that you have an agenda? Probably not. Does it appear that you may? Quite possibly, to me.

What is done, is done. If the event for this year isn't going to take place then I hope that by taking a year off Sal and Dean may decide to bring the event back next year after taking some time to secure a suitable venue if possible, and work out some of the issues that have come up in the past. I'd like to see them get some positive support for an event either this year or next, rather than someone dancing on the grave of an event they poured their time, effort, and money into.

If I'm out of line, I think you have my #. If not shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.

backyardchef
12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
As the other person in charge of Grillin' on the Bay I can tell you that I've never sensed or been part of any agenda to tear down Grill Kings to help our event. I obviously can't speak for Robert on that, but I've never heard him say anything along those lines. If anything, when we started planning the event, we wanted to get Grill Kings involved to cross promote. They weren't interested. I've been trying to walk a fine line in my comments-- I don't want to dance on their possible grave, nor do I want to take away from their accomplishments. Enough bad things have been said about last year's events. I'll try to focus on the good that was done and keep any other negatives to myself-- but that's just me.

BBQchef33
12-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Jorge and matt.... and let me add... (i was typing this while u guys were posting)..

THE COMPLAINING IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE WHINING BULLS*IT

EXECUTIVE DECISION:
This forum is no longer going to be instrumental in trashing Grillkings, or any event where a promoter or organizer is trying to do there best. In the case of GK, especially since I consider those that run it our friends. Their goal is the same as ours, to promote BBQ. It IS OUR local contest. If anyone doesn't’t like the event DON'T GO. But to continue trashing it does nothing but fuel the fire. Its farking history. Lead, follow, or get the fark out of the way. There is no reason to continue to dig up the same old crap.

I agree 100% with Nancee. The constant whining, complaining and negative press repeated across the BBQ world did nothing to help the problem. That may be fine coming from strangers, but it is humiliating to ME the relentless badgering and comments being made against Grillkings in this forum. More so that the loudest voice of all this badgering is coming from a member of MY team, WITHOUT MY SUPPORT. Unfortunately, because of my position in this group, a lot of people think I condone or agree with everything that is said in this forum. I do NOT condone or support BQ in any of his comments. In fact, many complaints he did NOT experience personally, but he is piling on from other 'reports'. Complaints such as not getting a cooks packet.? I GOT IT. I paid the entry fee. I got the packet. He did not see it, he showed up 3 hours late, and the packet sat in my car.

People on the outside think this forum it is my blog, where it is not, it is A LOT of individual opinions. I personally preferred to say nothing than drag them down. However, it was agreed to with Dean to allow members to voice their criticism after the event and Dean was involved. At this point, this forum is not going to be instrumental to doing it further.

The grill king event had enemies from the start. Prior to the event, I received emails, as did the admin of the smoke ring, other major forums, and some KCBS BOD members. This letter had all kinds of outrageous accusations, such as bribing and otherwise influencing judges. The comparison by the recipients, of the letters sent made it evident that it was a setup due to blatantly conflicting stories each letter told. IP address were the same as someone who signed up here and put out a warning that grill kings was a fixed contest. Even on this forum some people were complaining before the event even started.

Grillkings is OUR event, we should do everything in our power to help it succeed. What the complaining amounts to is nothing more than Monday morning quarter backing and to make it worse, the game ended months ago. Get over it already. It was said last summer, if anyone doesn't’t want to be part of the solution, DONT be part of the problem.

I asked that this be dropped until I speak to Dean, yet the same people are dredging it up over and over.. What I WILL say, is that after the event, last summer, a dozen members of this forum met at my house with Dean to discuss the event, the problems, solutions, venues and strategies. The BBQ Brethren forum, in general DOES support Grill kings and wants to see it succeed. If Dean and Sal decide they do not want to do it, it WILL NOT be because they did not have our support.

I am going to do whatever I can, if that’s anything at all, to get this event back on track. And this forum will be part of a solution…. It is NOT going to be used to undermine anything we can do to help Grillkings succeed. Period.

Anyone feels they have something negative to say, do it elsewhere.. BUT if it is at all fixable, we will try to help FIX IT HERE.

Jorge
12-12-2006, 11:35 AM
As the other person in charge of Grillin' on the Bay I can tell you that I've never sensed or been part of any agenda to tear down Grill Kings to help our event. I obviously can't speak for Robert on that, but I've never heard him say anything along those lines. If anything, when we started planning the event, we wanted to get Grill Kings involved to cross promote. They weren't interested. I've been trying to walk a fine line in my comments-- I don't want to dance on their possible grave, nor do I want to take away from their accomplishments. Enough bad things have been said about last year's events. I'll try to focus on the good that was done and keep any other negatives to myself-- but that's just me.

I think that's fair, and profesional.

Smoker
12-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm sure the Grill Kings event was not canceled because of some bad feedback. Dean and Sal are business men and I would think they did not get where they are by quitting when someone offended them. I would think they took a real bath financially and it seemed that no matter where they tried to hold the event they were squeezed by our friendly politicians and unions. Such is Long Island.

If they made money and people complained they would do it again this year and laugh all the way to the bank. Last we heard they where going to form committee's to fix all the problems. That was the end of it. They could have come with any local team to the other contests last year to learn more about what makes a successful contest. Oneofthegrillkings last logged on to this site July 25th so what does that tell you. They are not BBQ guys. They are businessmen and took a bath year after year. We should thank them for trying and move on. I'm sure other contest promoters will fill in the void, right Arlie???????