PDA

View Full Version : 2007 *Exclusive* BBQ Brethren Competition Cooking class.

BBQchef33
12-27-2006, 09:48 PM
A BBQ Brethren Exclusive (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/drbbqclass.htm)
brought to our members (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/drbbqclass.htm)
in conjunction with (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/drbbqclass.htm)
Grill Kings and Willie B's BBQ Restaurant (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/drbbqclass.htm)

Dr. BBQ's Real Deal BBQ Cooking Class
Held at Grillkings HQ, Franklin Square L.I.
(30 mins east of NYC)

A Full 2 Day
Competition Cooking Class taught by
Ray Lampe a.k.a. Dr. BBQ

$150.00 p/p Brethren Exclusive!
(checks or credit cards)

Join The Brethren teams and individual members as we do a full mock competition, taught by one of BBQ's favorite Champions.

Just as a competitions go, the class goes straight through the night, with everyone prepping and cooking their own chicken, ribs, pork butt and beef brisket.

You can bring the meats or it will be provided to you by Willie B's BBQ restaurant at a nominal cost. Bring or order all 4 meats, or only those you are interested in cooking. Its up to you. Cook all 4 categories, or only the ones you want. We will supply the championship sauces and seasoning. We will also include Dinner Saturday Night and Breakfast Sunday Morning.

3-4 large cookers will be available to share, or come with your own. We will be inside and out, so dress warm, but we can go indoors at any time. This is being held at the same place as the judging classes.

Dr. BBQ will share all contest secrets, from meat prep, trimming, injections, seasonings, cooking techniques and professional presentation. Although the class is aimed at KCBS contests, novice cooks attend, have a great time and bring the knowledge of championship BBQ back to the Backyard.
Saturday March 31 and April 1st at the Grill Kings Building in Franklin Square. L.I.

There are quite a few teams winning and giving big credit to this class. The class will be wrapped up at around 1:00 on Sunday, and your leftovers are yours to take home.

Class is limited to about 20 people and we are already full. If interested, post here, PM me or send email to Banderabros@optonline.net (Banderabros@optonline.net) to reserve a spot. CLICK HER We will be accepting Paypal, checks, or credit cards and spots must be booked by Jan 30.

More details to follow and we will keep you posted.

Plowboy
12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Okay, if I come out for this, can I join one of the NY teams?

bbqbull
12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Gosh Phil, Wished I could attend that class. Wonder what airfare and hotel room would costs?
I figure this is the bargain of the year......sure as heck wished it was closer to Michigan.
One heck of a deal for Brethren Memebers. Thanks to you and Dr. Bbq for putting on an awesome program.

Mike

Plowboy
12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Gosh Phil, Wished I could attend that class. Wonder what airfare and hotel room would costs?
I figure this is the bargain of the year......sure as heck wished it was closer to Michigan.
One heck of a deal for Brethren Memebers. Thanks to you and Dr. Bbq for putting on an awesome program.

Mike

Skip the hotel. You'll be cooking all night. :wink:

BigBarry
12-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Phil,

I am in - just got the OK from the wife!

How do we pay?

HoDeDo
12-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I thinkin I may be in Phil!!! If our Aunt in Brooklyn is going to be in town... we're just going to make a family trip of it. Girl time for the girls, and Que time for dad :)

I'll need to use one of the "shared" cookers if possible. Unless there is room for my toy hauler:twisted:

Cross your fingers!!!!

CTSmokehouse
12-27-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm really interested and would like to attend. Please give me all the details.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Could you give directions?

motoeric
12-27-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm not sure if I can attend or not, but I wanted to say 'thanks' for setting this up. It's much appreciated!

Eric

nascarchuck
12-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Damn!!! Why do I have to live in Texas??? http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif

MilitantSquatter
12-28-2006, 06:10 AM
I'm in...

backyardchef
12-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Wow, Phil.....what an awesome opportunity! :-o What a bummer that it's the same time as Grillin' on the Bay...:cry: I guess the stars were not aligned this time.....Thanks for putting this thing together. It sounds like it's gonna be a great time.....

That's gonna be some bbq weekend, eh?

drbbq
12-28-2006, 07:07 AM
I'm really interested and would like to attend. Please give me all the details.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Could you give directions?

I can't help with the directions but I'm sure Phil will get them to you by March.
I can tell you how the class will go though. I'll prep a brisket and tell you all about it. I'll help a couple people prep theirs in front of the class and then you'll all go to your stations and prep yours. I'll walk around and coach everyone. Same with pork, ribs and chjicken. After cooking all night, the next day we'll do the same procedure for slicing and presenting. In most of my classes I supply the meat and everyone cooks on their own but for this one we're giving you the option of not cooking or sharing to keep the cost down.

Any questions just ask.

parrothead
12-28-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm in. What time does this start? I need to arrange travel and all that nonsense. My cooking buddy Bob will more than likely attend.I will check with him tonight and get back with you.

Anyone gonig to be flying this one solo? I would rather team up with someone local and share the meat costs and they can take it home as I will probably be jumping a flight right after.

swamprb
12-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Keepin' my fingers crossed hoping the Dr. makes a swing through the Pacific Northwest!

drbbq
12-28-2006, 08:14 AM
I'm in. What time does this start? I need to arrange travel and all that nonsense. My cooking buddy Bob will more than likely attend.I will check with him tonight and get back with you.

Anyone gonig to be flying this one solo? I would rather team up with someone local and share the meat costs and they can take it home as I will probably be jumping a flight right after.

Typically we start setup at Noon and the class begins at 3:00. We're usually finished up by about 1:00pm the next day.

I expect that will be the schedule.

Spydermike72
12-28-2006, 08:21 AM

Mike

Hey Mike, maybe we can arrange for the good Dr to come to Michigan ?? We have quite a few Michiganders on here, as well as some of the Brothers from the surrounding states ? Something to think about...

drbbq
12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm doing a class in Detroit in April, but it isn't $150 and you don't get to hang with all the Brethren.
www.drbbq.com

Cue's Your Daddy
12-28-2006, 09:15 AM
and i just got a big green egg for christmas. Couldn't be more perfect. My wife has to say yes.

HoDeDo
12-28-2006, 09:32 AM
:icon_sleepy Darn the luck, Just got reminded that I'll be at a wedding here, and that our NYC Aunt is going to be in town for it as well. FARRRkk!! You boys are gonna have a hellova time. Maybe we'll have to set up a brethren class for the mid-west also, if the good Dr. is willing to do the same format for a group of us here. Pick like MO, KS, or IL, etc. and do a midwest bash around it....

BBQchef33
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Due to the great response, i will talk to Doc about doing these in a few other states. His schedule is REALLY REALLY tight though.

Sawdustguy
12-28-2006, 09:36 AM
I think you did a great thing here Phil. Great job!

Spydermike72
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm doing a class in Detroit in April, but it isn't $150 and you don't get to hang with all the Brethren.
www.drbbq.com (http://www.drbbq.com)

That is great Ray, I am looking at your site right now. Where at in Detroit is this going to be held ?? I need to see if I can fit this into my schedule.

Yeah I wont get to hang with the Brethern, but I can still learn from one of the best!!

BigBarry
12-28-2006, 10:46 AM

Parrothead,

As an amateur, I will probably be solo. You are welcome to share my WSM and possibly my 22" kettle. I will buy the meat.

Feel free to PM me to coordinate.

nascarchuck
12-28-2006, 10:48 AM
is that a hint? :)

Well, since thats the way you took it, I think that Dallas/Ft. Worth area would be a good place!!! 8-)

SmokeInDaEye
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Wow, Phil.....what an awesome opportunity! :-o What a bummer that it's the same time as Grillin' on the Bay...:cry: I guess the stars were not aligned this time.....Thanks for putting this thing together. It sounds like it's gonna be a great time.....

That's gonna be some bbq weekend, eh?

Is there anyway the Grillin On the Bay participants could telecommute to the class?:mrgreen: Figure once Nancee and Greg win back their title, we could link in via webcam...

Sounds like an amazing class, Doc! Thanks to you and Phil for bringing it to our neck of the woods.

Spydermike72
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
That is great Ray, I am looking at your site right now. Where at in Detroit is this going to be held ?? I need to see if I can fit this into my schedule.

Yeah I wont get to hang with the Brethern, but I can still learn from one of the best!!

Nevermind, I looked at the Application for this class and found out the location. It is near Redford for those that are familiiar with Metro Detroit.
Still checking my schedule...

cmcadams
12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
I wish I could make it... but may be able to make the detroit class, if I can arm myself adequately first!

Spydermike72
12-28-2006, 11:18 AM
I wish I could make it... but may be able to make the detroit class, if I can arm myself adequately first!

Hey Curt, were not that bad in the Detroit area!! Actually I am near Flint, where I think it is worse!! Let me know if you can make this one, I would like to meet a fellow Brother!! I wont know for a week or 2 if I can make this one...

Greendriver
12-28-2006, 01:04 PM
for this one we're giving you the option of not cooking or sharing to keep the cost down.

....so if you wanted to you could just try to learn from the others cooking and not even cook? is that right?

drbbq
12-28-2006, 01:18 PM
....so if you wanted to you could just try to learn from the others cooking and not even cook? is that right?

Correct.

HoDeDo
12-28-2006, 02:37 PM
is that a hint? :)

I'd go to Dallas ( heck, I'm going to Hillsboro tomorrow)

But I could also pull together a couple places in KCK area that would fit a 20+ member class. :icon_wink

<insert Big Old State of KS picture here> :wink:

drbbq
12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
This is a one shot deal guys.

Kirk
12-28-2006, 04:32 PM
I'd like to get in if there's still room. I'll check w/my cooking partner to see if he's interested too.

Westexbbq
12-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Great opportunity.
Thanks Phil, Ray, GC, WB etal.
I will be there,
not square.

CTSmokehouse
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes! I'm in... Yahooo!! Definite! Just sign me up!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

scottyd
12-28-2006, 07:01 PM
this is a real treat. Ray thanks for the opportunity, I am just disappointed that I can not attend. Rats

Muzzlebrake
12-28-2006, 07:43 PM
I am in for the cooking class, where.how do I sign up official like?
Where can I find out the details of the judging class you mentioned?

Sean

Kirk
12-28-2006, 07:55 PM
How many spots are left? I haven't been able to get ahold of my buddy yet to see if he wants in.

BBQchef33
12-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Sorry Everyone. I was away most of the day, and couldnt answer all the questions. From the responses we got, it seems we had more responses than spots.. I will compile all the responses tonight and give head counts tomorrow.

Most common question was "where do I pay?".

HERE (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/drbbqclass.htm)

Also, paypal charges 3% so $5.00 IS ADDD to cover the service charge.

OR You can just send me a check. PM me for address.

I will go thru the responses and post tomorrow our headcount based on the responses of "Definite". For those that are tentative, figure it out ASAP.

Also, FYI, The KCBS judging class will be in early-mid spring with Grill Kings. This is unconfirmed on the date, but they have told me there WILL be one.

On another note...

Someone sent me a PM today with a review of the class.. it definatley got me psyched up.!

Small review of rays class from bbqblog

I wanted to improve, but could not commit the time for competing more. I heard about the various competition classes that were offered and looked into them. We decided to take Ray Lampe’s (Dr. BBQ) Real Deal class. The one we took was offered early in the season and my real attraction to it was that you cooked overnight, just like a competition. The fact that Ray competes in some of the contests that we consider for our schedule and does very well at them reinforced the decision since he would know what works at those contests. I signed up to cook and my wife attended as a non-cooking spouse.

When we arrived, we were surprised by the number of faces that were familiar from the competition circuit including some teams that I considered successful and experienced. Now it would not be fair to disclose the content of the class but I believe Ray really did reveal what he does for competitions. Despite a 34 degree night with rain wind and a little sleet, the class was fun too. We received many pointers and tips from prep, to cooking technique, to rubs and sauces, to presentation that we put into use. At the very next contest, I got my first two calls in meat. Nothing stellar, but substantially better than we had done before and I give most of the credit to the information I learned in class. I know that one person’s experience does not mean that everyone’s experience will be the same, but I am certain that the class shortened the time it would have taken us to reach this level. Our overall finish was right in the middle - I still went my own way on ribs.

My wife and I agree that the class was worth every dollar that we spent and we recommend Ray’s class to anyone that is interested. Even the experienced teams said that they picked up some worthwhile information from the class. Every issue of the Bullsheet lists cooking classes taught by big name BBQ cooks. I have only taken Ray’s class so I cannot comment from experience about the other classes, but there have been very positive comments about them on the BBQ Forum.

If you can cook with a winning team, it might not be worth your while to take a class since you already have a proven source of information. If you are fortunate enough to do well on your own, you might not want a class. But if you are like me with limited time and/or are not improving in you scoring, a class might be the thing to help break into the next level.

motoeric
12-29-2006, 01:54 AM
By the way, congratulations if this is an insanely elaborate April Fools joke. If it is, my hat's off to you.

Eric

BBQchef33
12-29-2006, 01:58 AM
nope... Its the Real Deal. :) that would be a REALLY BAD joke..

drbbq
12-29-2006, 07:12 AM
By the way, congratulations if this is an insanely elaborate April Fools joke. If it is, my hat's off to you.

Eric

I'm gonna be really ticked off if it is.

Kirk
12-29-2006, 09:46 AM
From the responses we got, it seems we had more responses than spots.. I will compile all the responses tonight and give head counts tomorrow.

The suspense is killing me. I just got a callback from my partner. He says he's wants to attend but I told him I don't know if we'll get 2 spots, one or none at all. Fingers crossed.

drbbq
12-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I just booked my flight so this is gonna happen. I'm looking forward to it.

BBQchef33
12-29-2006, 12:23 PM
ok, everyone who sent me a "DEFINITELY" are in. But the only way to guarantee is to pay for the spot. The list of names is longer than spots, so I need ABSOLOUTE COMMITMENT. Payment is one way, or PM me that a checks on the way, or u need some time to pay.. But all payments MUST me in by Jan 30. All those that posted or PM'ed me up to this point that "you're in" will have first crack at the slots.

Several members have allready used the Paypal method.
Go to Paypal at www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and click on the "Send Money" tab.

Login, or if you dont already have an ID, create one and hit "Send Money". All u have to do is pay with a credit card, sending it to the BBQ Brethren account. Our account is Banderabros@optonline.net. The whole process takes about 3 minutes.

PLEASE CLEARLY MARK THE TRANSACTION AS DR BBQ CLASS in the comments and subject area.

I am still working on getting the GrillKings Credit card application turned on. That may take a few days.

If you want to use snail mail and send a check, PM me for an address.

Jorge
12-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Just entered negotiations. There is a wedding that weekend that somebody briefly mentioned but forgot to put on the calendar.

Edit: I'm in, it is just a question of how much it's going to cost me.

cmcadams
12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm going to sign up for Detroit, but I really wish I could make this one instead... Not for the price, though that's nice, but for the company. At least in MI, I can take my smoker with me.

Bossmanbbq
12-29-2006, 03:48 PM
I would love to go to this, just to far to travel right now, espeacially after the holidays. Hopefully you all could bring this more central if you do another one.

Plowboy
12-29-2006, 03:51 PM
ok, everyone who sent me a "DEFINITELY" are in. But the only way to guarantee is to pay for the spot. The list of names is longer than spots, so I need ABSOLOUTE COMMITMENT. Payment is one way, or PM me that a checks on the way, or u need some time to pay.. But all payments MUST me in by Jan 30. All those that posted or PM'ed me up to this point that "you're in" will have first crack at the slots.

Several members have allready used the Paypal method.
Go to Paypal at www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and click on the "Send Money" tab.

Login, or if you dont already have an ID, create one and hit "Send Money". All u have to do is pay with a credit card, sending it to the BBQ Brethren account. Our account is Banderabros@optonline.net. The whole process takes about 3 minutes.

PLEASE CLEARLY MARK THE TRANSACTION AS DR BBQ CLASS in the comments and subject area.

I am still working on getting the GrillKings Credit card application turned on. That may take a few days.

If you want to use snail mail and send a check, PM me for an address.

So am I in or not? Just talked to the wife and she's willing to consider this our Wedding Anniversary since it is April 1. We'll fly to NYC on Friday, see a show, then BBQ on Saturday, fly out Sunday. We'll need to hook up with a team, though. Can't fit the smoker in the overhead on the plane.

Plowboy
12-29-2006, 03:55 PM
DRBBQ, you going to be back at the World Pork Expo / BarBaQlossal in 2007? If so, are you doing a class there?

BBQchef33
12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Try this to pay for the class. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/drbbqclass.htm)

go to this webpage and hit the BUY NOW button. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/drbbqclass.htm)

Its nothing fancy... just a quick webpage i doctored up to allow you to pay with Credit cards or PayPal using Paypals secured transactions. Scroll to the bottom to use a Credit Card.

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR BBQ BRETHEN NAME IN THE COMMENTS SO i KNOW WHO U ARE!

I usually absorb the cost of paypal transactions thru our Brethren operating costs. However, since there is no operating budget built into the price of the class, the paypal fee of 3%+ 30 is added into the amount, so u will see the price come up as $155.00. If you want to avoid this fee, then ya gotta send a check or MO.

djmarko
12-29-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm already in. Looking forward to not having to judge this time and being able to hang out during the whole process.

drbbq
12-29-2006, 08:36 PM
DRBBQ, you going to be back at the World Pork Expo / BarBaQlossal in 2007? If so, are you doing a class there?

No, I'll be there to cook the contest and host the Big Green Egg Scramble. I'm doing 4 classes this year. This one and the 3 that are on my website. I don't expect to add any.

www.drbbq.com

BBQchef33
12-29-2006, 10:22 PM
thanks everyone whos making superfast payments.. Lots of trafic on that paypal.. and I got some looking for addresses to send checks..

This is flowing so smooth its amazin!! thanks guys. Dont be surprised if this leads to a Brethren contest in the summer. :mrgreen: Where we can apply what we learn.

Sawdustguy
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
God bless you Dr. BBQ.

Sawdustguy
12-30-2006, 03:01 PM
I have been looking to go to a bbq class of this calibre for the longest time. The wife got to go to Paul Kirks class but I wasn't able to attend. This type of Competition BBQ Class just doesn't happen in the North East very often so I am a very happy Polock that this time 3 members of my team and I will attend.

Kirk
01-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Just curious, who's bringing what (cooker wise)? We have 3 WSM's and a kettle but I don't really know if it's worth bringing those.
I was also wondering about the meats. Brisket and butt I assume, but what about the chicken? Whole, 1/2's, 1/4's or thighs? And ribs? Spares, BB's or whatever you prefer? Actually could we get tips on prepping spares and BB's? Thanks.

BBQchef33
01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
A complete set of meat for the class is 1 Brisket, 1 butt, 1 rack of ribs and 6 chicken thighs. Doc will chime in if its ok to deviate on the chicken.

You can bring your own, or Willie B will order it and we will have it here for you.

for cookers, we will have 2 big langs, and (BYC, MOAB of needed). We will take a count of whos bring what as get closer and see what we need.

drbbq
01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I'll be cooking a large packer cut brisket, a big pork butt, a slab of big spare ribs and 9 thighs. If it were my normal class that's what you would all get so that's what I'd recommend you buy for this.

Merl
01-01-2007, 07:38 PM
I'll be cooking a large packer cut brisket, a big pork butt, a slab of big spare ribs and 9 thighs. If it were my normal class that's what you would all get so that's what I'd recommend you buy for this.

Ray from cooking with you in the past, I am surprised you don't add a couple of breast!
Merl

Kirk
01-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I'll be cooking a large packer cut brisket, a big pork butt, a slab of big spare ribs and 9 thighs.
If it's one or the other, I'm glad we're doing spares. I never turned down a BB rib but I never bought one either.

drbbq
01-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Ray from cooking with you in the past, I am surprised you don't add a couple of breast!
Merl

Well yes, I like breasts too.
BTW congrats on getting wood.

MilitantSquatter
01-01-2007, 08:58 PM
If it's one or the other, I'm glad we're doing spares. I never turned down a BB rib but I never bought one either.

Gonna be a good mindset change for me ...

I like using babybacks and drumsticks mainly based on my personal taste preferences or just getting away from thighs like everyone else. I'm open to change, but at the very least I can apply certain skills being taught to my preferred variety of these two categories.

BBQchef33
01-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm going to officially say we are full up as I wait for the remaining payments to come in. We are over our target but If anyone want to still get in, send me a PM and I will put u at the end of the list in case someone drops out. First come first serve on the overflow. So get your name on the list.

djmarko
01-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Is everyone going to be paired up with somebody or will some people be on their own?

BBQchef33
01-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Class is geared towards individuals, but u can also team up if u like. We will have some large pits to share, but anyone can bring there own set up also. We wil be giving all the details as we get closer to kickoff time.

parrothead
01-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Mine is a solid 2 not the three that I thought it may be.

parrothead
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Parrothead,

As an amateur, I will probably be solo. You are welcome to share my WSM and possibly my 22" kettle. I will buy the meat.

Feel free to PM me to coordinate.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan. It will be my buddy Bob and I. We will just join in with you for the experience. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, just trying to figure out what was happening.

Muzzlebrake
01-08-2007, 06:51 PM
is there room for everyone to bring thier own stuff?
Now that I found the CharGriller mod thread I am looking forward to cutting, chopping and bringing it down

BBQchef33
01-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Theres is plenty of room for your own setups. Bring it on down!!

Jorge
01-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks. Sounds like a plan. It will be my buddy Bob and I. We will just join in with you for the experience. Sorry I didn't answer sooner, just trying to figure out what was happening.

When are you guys booking? Any flight I take out of DFW or Love Field will connect at Midway.

Still negotiating with the better half. Not only is the wedding that wasn't on the calendar that weekend, but she is IN IT. :eek: :eek:

BBQchef33
01-17-2007, 11:04 AM
All details will come out as we get closer. I allready started ordering all the stuff needed.. Class will officially start mid afternoon, but i think we can gather earlier.. I will need a bit of help setting up, anyone local want to volunteer that would be appreciated.

The address is
1230 Hempstead Turnpike Franklin Square, NY 11010

BigBarry
01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I'll help with setup. Should be fun.

MilitantSquatter
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
I should be able to get there earlier too...

Poob - What kind of stuff needs to be ordered ? Supplies ?

Maybe some of us have the stuff you need instead of spending cash...

Westexbbq
01-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Yes indeed,
Put me in coach,
most likely us locals can bring xtra stuff.....

BBQchef33
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
We will need a few tables, thats about it.. The cost of the class covers the incidentals. Spices, paper goods, foil goods, beverages, etc..

I will be setting up a couple 10x20's, heaters, tables, etc..

More details as we get closer.

BBQchef33
01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
The roster will be posted once all payments are made at the end of the month. (your in there muzzlebrake.. :)

I havent seen a sylabus yet.. Drbbq's site has some details about the class though.

SmokeInDaEye
01-17-2007, 08:55 PM
The roster will be posted once all payments are made at the end of the month. (your in there muzzlebrake.. :)

I havent seen a sylabus yet.. Drbbq's site has some details about the class though.

Ok. I'm officially jealous. This sounds great, not to mention the fact that the location is within spitting distance of my house, located at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Garden city, NY xxxxxx.:twisted:

Hoping to at least swing by after getting my butt kicked at grillin' on the bay, saying hello, and see you all in action.

BBQchef33
02-07-2007, 03:49 PM
We are ready to rock and roll

Most of you have paid up... theres one or 2 stragglers. I have begun ordering the supplies and we are a go..

Anyone who hasn't paid and knows they were on the original list can use this link to pay by credit card.
www.bbq-brethren.com\drbbqclass.htm (http://www.bbq-brethren.com\drbbqclass.htm)

We may have 2-3 free spots due to someone canceling. Send me a note if your interested.

I will be posting the roster, and plans very shortly. (actully, i typed it up on 2/1, and lost the post whne i hit the back button on my keyboard. Go figure.. i hit a wrong key.

So we are a lock. 7 weeks and counting.

Expect a detail post by the weekend.

The_Kapn
02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
I have cooked with and against the good DR.
Since I cooked with him, we have scored above him and below him (mostly below) in catagories and in overall standings.
He taught me (us) how to win with brisket, in particular.

He has a wealth of experience and knowledge to share,

You will never find a better teacher---- if you just listen.

TIM

Moderator's Note--Just did another scrub of this thread to remove Off Topic chatter. The class is gonna be fun, but this is an "On-Topic" section of the forum.

"Job security" for Moderators :lol:

Thank you "wery" much :redface:

Porky
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Phil-

Please put my name on the list of people that would like to participate in the cooking class if someone drops out. I can be reached at lespokrass@yahoo.com.

Thanks Les

Sledneck
02-27-2007, 09:15 PM
oNE MONTH TO GO!!!!!!!!

MilitantSquatter
02-27-2007, 09:19 PM
I forgot what the deal was as far as garnish... Should we bring our own ?

Ray - For those traveling from out of state, do you recommend they bring an injection needle as part of any supplies they were planning to bring ??

drbbq
02-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Yes, definitely bring an injector. Thanks for asking!

I'll let Phil answer the garnish question but I think you'll need to bring your own.

CTSmokehouse
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Hey Doc,

Anything else we should bring? I'm looking forward to a culinary learning experience. I really appreciate the opportunity!

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

drbbq
03-01-2007, 06:37 AM
Hey Doc,

Anything else we should bring? I'm looking forward to a culinary learning experience. I really appreciate the opportunity!

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Well I'm flying up and I won't have anything with me, so I'll let Phil answer this.
I'm looking forward to it too. We'll have some big fun!

BBQchef33
03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
We will have all the, sauces, rubs, gloves, foils, pans, paper goods, etc.. Meats can be either bought thru WillyB or bring your own. For cookers we will have a few large smokers, 2 lang 84, a BYC and a couple spicewines, but since there are 25 of us, its best if you bring your own, especially if your local. I'll make us dinner Saturday night.. or bring some stuff for snacking on while the cookers are running.

You should bring all/any tools you will need and a table/chair.

Although we will have access to the building we will be doing most of the cooking outside, so dress accordingly. (Doc will make the call wheather we have "classrooom time" inside.)

For sleep, your on your own. We will be out all night cooking. There are hotels a few minutes from grillkings if anyone decides theny need to go that route.

MilitantSquatter
03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
We will have all the meats, sauces, rubs, gloves, foils.

What about the garnish ?

BBQchef33
03-01-2007, 09:27 AM
If you want to use garnish, bring what you would use.

was wondering where that came from.. sorry, missed the question the first time.

SmokeInDaEye
03-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Here's a little sneak peek for everyone taking the class. Nice video, Ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYUrLvrjKs&mode=related&search=

BigBarry
03-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Here's a little sneak peek for everyone taking the class. Nice video, Ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyYUrLvrjKs&mode=related&search=

Really nicely done! Nice to get a little insight on the great Dr.!

Muzzlebrake
03-04-2007, 09:53 AM
How do I go about ordering the meat from WillieB's?
What exactley do we need to bring?
I plan on bringing a table, chair, injector, tongs and smart juice.
Oh and maybe the new BSKD if I can get out of the mod shop by then!

SSK

Sledneck
03-04-2007, 10:03 AM
i am bringin my wsms cause that is what i compete on

MilitantSquatter
03-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I plan on bringing a table, chair, injector, tongs and smart juice.

SSK

Smart Juice ??? Is this code for beer, vodka or JD ???

Muzzlebrake
03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Smart Juice ??? Is this code for beer, vodka or JD ???
varies.........is usually a mix, rarely JD, Bushmill's is more my taste

Westexbbq
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I am hoping to use some space to cook in one of the Langs if possible as I have no trailer or any other facilities to haul in my old New Braunfels smoker.(at least not yet.)
Hope that is not a problem.
I'm sure we can work things out.