PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Board Meeting

Plowboy
12-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Rod or Merl,

Anything you can formally share from the KCBS Board Meeting?

kcpellethead
12-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Honestly Todd, not really. It's already out that pellet cookers will remain legal. At this time, that's about as much as there is to say.

Rod

MilitantSquatter
12-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Hopefully the pellet cooker issue will officially be put to bed (at least from an official rules standpoint, if not from the unofficial debate), and not brought up for review next year at this time...

HoDeDo
12-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I thought it was not pellet cookers.... but all thermostatically controlled/forced air devices. Meaning no Guru/Olde Hickory/Traeger, etc... that was brought up at the rules meeting.

I used a Guru on my Double-walled KF, and I used an FEC for the last 1/2 of the season last year.... so I'm obviously fine with pellet cookers remaining legal:eusa_clap I like the good Dr's take on the subject.

I doubt that debate will ever go away... in the official realm or bar room banter 8-) And really, it shouldnt go away.... if there are enough people that care that strongly about it, they should be able to go to the rules meetings, etc. and raise it. I'm sure that it makes it as a concern to the board, because enough people express it...

Thanks for the info Rod - as you can let other input out, feel free to do so, in official or unofficial capacity (on the many other topics I'm sure were addressed.

BrooklynQ
12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
I doubt that debate will ever go away... in the official realm or bar room banter 8-) And really, it shouldnt go away.... if there are enough people that care that strongly about it, they should be able to go to the rules meetings, etc. and raise it. I'm sure that it makes it as a concern to the board, because enough people express it...

It'll never happen. I don't know if too many people are going to take the time and money and go to KC to fight for a change in the rules.

Now if KCBS came into the 90's and have conference call meetings, then mayeb things would start to change.

HoDeDo
12-03-2006, 10:27 PM
Now if KCBS came into the 90's and have conference call meetings, then mayeb things would start to change.

Conf. calls? who needs those... Toll Free trunks are expensive.
We can all use Netmeeting or Centra type software and log in from the couch - post questions, take votes, etc all over the internet. Now I know this internet thing is just a flash in the pan, but it might catch on :wink:

Smoker
12-03-2006, 10:50 PM
It'll never happen. I don't know if too many people are going to take the time and money and go to KC to fight for a change in the rules.

Even if 90% of the KCBS members wanted to vote out the electric automation the board would not listen. Have you seen the ads in the Bull Sheet selling those items? The board knows where its bread is buttered.

kcpellethead
12-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah Smoker, why don't you and I trade paychecks. I'll send you all of my board checks for the last two years and you send me just one of yours. I know where my bread is buttered. The board on the other hand works for free. On top of that, even if KCBS weren't a 501c4 not-for-profit organization, it would be a very, very small business. Everybody wants to see competition barbecue flourish, or so they say. Step back and look at the big picture. Limiting our competitors is not the way to get there. DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion, not that of the board.

Honestly folks, I'm tired of coming under fire every time I discuss a board issue WHEN ASKED. You guys that talk this way know so little about the board and it's processes. I'm done.

Rod

BrooklynQ
12-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Rod, that's the problem. We know very little about the board. And I don't see the board doing anything to change that. Technology has exisited for YEARS that would allow a more transparent operation of KCBS.

I don't think anyone's picking on you, and I think Smoker was referring to the money KCBS gets as an organization form the advertisers in the Bullsheet. Eliminate the pellet poopers or the gurus or charcoal or tin foil and KCBS would loose advertisers.

I want to see competition BBQ grow, and I think my actions more than back up my words, but KCBS has done nothing to help it grow in NYC. As a matter of fact, numerous calls and emails I made to the KCBS offices asking for help were never returned.

So, Rod as a member of KCBS, I'd like to see a much more responsive board and a much more transparent organization.

Jeff_in_KC
12-03-2006, 11:19 PM
If I was guessing, I'd guess that the advertising fees collected for the Bullsheet don't begin to cover the cost of producing the paper.

jminion
12-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Smoker and Robert
It's not about advertizing dollars, it's about growth and removing cookers is not growth.

We all get to choice what we will cook on, what spices and techniques we are going to use. A cook decides to use a pit and then after the fact decides that some other pit would allow what ever percieved advantage doesn't mean KCBS should protect that cook from his own choices. Pellet cookers are legal because there source of heat is wood, it has a fuel delivery system so does an offset, the fact that you choose to be that delivery system was your choice.

I have a pellet cooker and a Klose, I compete on the Klose, my choice.

I get paid nothing for being on the Board, when I travel to KC, it's on my own dine. It's a two day trip cause I can't back to Seattle on the same day, no flights. It's my choice just like the cooker I use.

Competition cooking is going to change no matter how we feel about, we can lead, follow or get out of the way.

If you feel the Board is not responsive to you then I suggest you study the candidates and vote for one that supports your position.

Merl
12-04-2006, 03:30 AM
My two cents

Transparent: I think most of the Board members respond to every private e mail we receive. I receive plenty and a few calls. Do you read the minutes. Do you let your voice be heard.

Elections: Have you contacted the candidates. I campaigned on the fact I could not contact the board. I did not have an email nor phone number. I have posted board emails. They are the KCBS web.

Before you vote, do you know how candidates feel on the issues you believe are important. Have you gone to the KCBS website to read their answers to the questionnaire. Are they going to be responsive to you. If they are not responsive in their answers now, they may not be when elected.

Please do not vote a candidate because they are a good guy or woman. Do they support the views you believe are important. Will they be responsive to you. And of greatest importance: WILL THEY WORK AND DO THEY HAVE SKILLS SETS WHICH THE BOARD NEEDS.

Think about this before you vote in January. If you have not registered. Go to the KCBS are renew your membership information.
Yours in BBQ
Merl

LostNation
12-04-2006, 05:20 AM
As a cook I could care less what others are cooking on, I have to worry about me and what I'm cooking on. I'm entering my fifth year as my own cook and I knew the rules when I came into this. It was my choice to buy a large leaky cooker. I could have a bought a pellet cooker but I chose not to.

NYC cooks that are looking for more representation from the KCBS board should consider voting for Linda Mullane. She has represented the North East as a rep, CBJ trainer and BBQ advocate, Just remember to register and vote.

chad
12-04-2006, 07:58 AM
The above "discussion" is reflective of the good and bad qualities of the internet and forums...let's keep this real civil and recognize that "we" have non-competitors, competitors, judges, board members, former board members, and a multitude of "other" category folks reading and chiming in on the "discussion".:rolleyes:

As a third year competitor I've gone through most of the phases - "who cares what others cook on", gee I wish it was a "level" playing field with only (pick one), electronics ought to be (allowed/outlawed - you pick), etc.

After my experience I've decided it doesn't matter what other folks use...I've been beaten by pellet cookers and I've beat pellet cookers, I've had pure stick burners whip my butt and I've beaten pure stick burners, etc. etc. etc.:-D

I currently use a stickburner - I chose it because of volume (I cater, too) and price. I've since seen some high capacity pellet cookers that have me REAL interested - mostly for catering, but I would NOT be opposed to using a FEC500 at competition.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Same goes for Southern Pride and Ole Hickory rigs - SWEEEETTTTT rigs.:-D

Current rules for KCBS limit us to wood and wood products...and those are the rules. I recently helped at the NBBQA "Best of the Best" and "Cooking on the Square" in Douglas, GA...they allow ANY cookers - you just have to declare what type of rig you are using. Second in whole hog (Invitational) using a gasser felt GOOD...:mrgreen: 9th in the OPEN didn't feel as good, BUT - I'd switched to my stickburner...I'm not blaming the cooker AND I/we beat the team using the gasser we'd used for the Invitational.:eek:

Like Jim said, we pick our cookers for a number of reasons...buying a stickburner for competiton and then whining about pellet machines is juvenile...you know what the rules are when you buy your equipment. As you stick around the competition circuit your views will change and so will your equipment.:cool:

If I was buying JUST for competition it would probably be an FEC100 (or two) using the current KCBS and FBA rules. If I could use an Ole Hickory gasser I'd be tempted to buy one...it's interesting that both the Southern Pride and Ole Hickory cookers can run on just wood...:eek:

My next cooker will probably be an FEC500 or possibly FEC750 though I'd like to have a JOS Hog Cooker which is a charcoal/stickburner....but, I digress...I cater, compete, and cook a lot at home. I've learned to use multiple cookers and I have no issue with the current rules. If we want to go back to holes in the ground with preburned coals then I guess I'll buy a backhoe to take to the competitions so I don't have to use a shovel...oh, wait, somebody will say that's an unfair advantage!!:lol:

Bottom line...as Jim, Rod, Ray, and others have stated...vote, select board members that reflect your beliefs, run for office yourself, etc. But don't just fire away on this forum..."friendly fire" is not funny and is not necessary.

Smoker
12-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah Smoker, why don't you and I trade paychecks. I'll send you all of my board checks for the last two years and you send me just one of yours. I know where my bread is buttered. The board on the other hand works for free. On top of that, even if KCBS weren't a 501c4 not-for-profit organization, it would be a very, very small business. Everybody wants to see competition barbecue flourish, or so they say. Step back and look at the big picture. Limiting our competitors is not the way to get there. DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion, not that of the board.

Honestly folks, I'm tired of coming under fire every time I discuss a board issue WHEN ASKED. You guys that talk this way know so little about the board and it's processes. I'm done.

Rod

Rod,

If you or anyone else took my comment to mean that I thought the board members where in it for financial gain I apologize. That is NOT what I meant. This BBQ stuff is now big business and in my opinion it is detrimental to the sport. As far as looking at the big picture, I have, and I see it's only about growth so you might as well allow cooking on gas and propane.

As far as the voting goes, if Linda does not get enough votes to get on the board, then the board REALLY needs to step back and see how unfair it is to those of us here in the North East. We might need some affirmative action from the board and have them go ahead and just put someone on the board from the North East so we can get some representation.

Plowboy
12-04-2006, 10:17 AM
We might need some affirmative action from the board and have them go ahead and just put someone on the board from the North East so we can get some representation.

I think you mean an Electoral Process, not affirmative action. :wink:

Smoker
12-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I think you mean an Electoral Process, not affirmative action. :wink:

Your right, sort of. Affirmative action would mean Linda is not qualified when we all know she is WELL qualified.

arlieque
12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I agree with some comments that KCBS does not return calls and emails,I gave up a long time ago. The board meetings run better now than in the past and the minutes are very much better than in the years past. Is it enough, I dont think so. I have been down the road with Rod myself asking for more answers because I care about what goes on. That being said Rod is a very honest person and will tell you what he can. The board meetings are open to the members and if I were closer I might go sometimes.

BrooklynQ
12-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Whoa, there Nelly.

I just want to make sure that my comments were not taken as a slam on any board member personally. Maybe it's just my use of the language as being a uncivilized New Yorker, but there was no "fire" meant in my response.

Too many times, due to the limitatons of keyboard and the instant nature of this communication method, the discussions here break down. A discussion is by its very definition the exchanging of opposing ideas and this is supposed to be a forum for that.

There are a lot of topics brought up in this one thread; the growth and direction of KCBS, the board's response to its members, members participatioin of lack there of, gas, pellet, etc, and of course the most important, voting.

A lot of these topics can be expanded into further discussion.

backyardchef
12-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I think if people step back and realize how hard it is to gain a consensus about anything with a group of people (especially on an internet forum) they MAY have a different perspective about making decisions within a growing organization with so many disiparate interested parties. The KCBS is still a relatively new organization that is growing and evolving rapidly. Establishing all of the rules to manage something as subjective as bbq is tough. I think we are all glad that KCBS exists-- and all of us can fall into the trap of thinking we can do things better than somebody else can-- maybe that's true. Are they perfect? Obviously not, but they've been doing a pretty good job, I think. We all have pet peeves.

jminion
12-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Rod,
As far as the voting goes, if Linda does not get enough votes to get on the board, then the board REALLY needs to step back and see how unfair it is to those of us here in the North East. We might need some affirmative action from the board and have them go ahead and just put someone on the board from the North East so we can get some representation.

Myself and others would like to see regions of the country recieve a repersentation by seperating the country into regions and have those in those regions vote for that Board position. Then there would also be at large positions that the whole country would vote for. Right now to get on the Board it is a national election so you have be known across the country to be elected, that does leave areas like the North East without direct representation. I hope we can have this regional Representation in place soon, it would be good for us all.

Smoker
12-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Myself and others would like to see regions of the country recieve a repersentation by making seperating the country into regions and have those in those regions vote for that Board position. Then there would also be at large positions that the whole country would vote for. Right now to get on the Board it is a national election so you have be known across the country to be elected, that does leave areas like the North East without direct representation. I hope we can have this regional Representation in place soon, it would be good for us all.

Thanks Jim....That would really benefit the KCBS in the long run.

Jeff_in_KC
12-04-2006, 05:33 PM
As for the KCBS not returning phone calls, emails, etc., I suspect they are in a similar position that I am in my company. My department is responsible for assisting 40 franchised real estate offices across Missouri and Kansas and we have THREE of us to do the job. It has been getting VERY hectic and I never feel like I have time to breathe anymore. I know the KCBS staff is small and they're trying to serve people all across the country. KCBS, like my company, is probably nearing a crossroads: How can you continue to serve a growing membership with the number of staff you can afford to pay? While BBQ has become big business, I suspect it is being operated in a small business manner. Not a knock on it but think about it... we only pay $35 a year to be in KCBS. If it means better service and more staff (who are paid more than just peanuts), I'd be willing to fork over double what I pay a year now in membership fees. I also realize that if I ever did decide to run for the board myself, no matter how many years, that comment will likely surface to bite my arse! :lol:

The_Kapn
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Unless I missed something, the SE does not have a Rep on the BOD since Ray left.
And, looking at the list of nominees for next year--NOPE--none there either.
Guess I should be upset, but I am not. Not something I get bent over.

The involvement of KCBS in a region is controlled by market forces, not the BOD.
If organizers in a particular area see a market for an event, it is organized and happens.
If interest is high-lots of events.
If interest is low-few events.
Lots of events means lots of teams, judges, reps, etc.
Few events means little of each.

So, can anyone tell me how I am "suffering" because the SE is not represented on the BOD?
I would love to hear what "regional representation" would accomplish-- other than making some folks feel good :lol:
Should there be different rules by region or something?

Thanks,

TIM

MilitantSquatter
12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Myself and others would like to see regions of the country recieve a repersentation by seperating the country into regions and have those in those regions vote for that Board position. Then there would also be at large positions that the whole country would vote for. Right now to get on the Board it is a national election so you have be known across the country to be elected, that does leave areas like the North East without direct representation. I hope we can have this regional Representation in place soon, it would be good for us all.

Jim /Rod/Merl- What is the process to have a procedural change such as this take place ? Is it solely decided by the BOD or does it need to be brought up in some other fashion to a select committee ?

Jeff_in_KC
12-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Tim, great points! In thinking about this further, it occurs to me that you are probably correct. Why would it really matter if we had reps on the BOD from all regions of the country? With the point you make, I don't think it would. I'd rather have the best qualified people for the BOD as opposed to having to let someone on the board who might not be as qualified just because of where they're from.

MilitantSquatter
12-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Tim and Jeff... valid points. However I think one of the requests from teams in the North East, is to at least feel that there is a sounding board to hear there concerns while at local contests, possibly organize a more regional annual meeting etc. which someone in a region might be able to accomplish. The good news is that Linda Mullane appears to be a well qualified candidate who will serve the NE and entire KCBS well and should have a solid chance to gain a spot even without regional representation.

I do agree with Rob that conference calls or other means seem to be the way to go to ensure participation to a much higher degree... It's a very straightforward system that big companies use all the time with a very high success.

Ex. My company holds a monthly national sales call with our sales team over over 600 people. A private third party company coordinates the callers dialing into the main tel #with a PIN # at a specific time to listen to the call. At the end of the call, the listeners can dial in to ask a question, or voice a concern etc. If the issue cannot be answered at the time it is taken offline for further discussion and responded to the entire team or directly to the person who inquired at a later point etc.. Time limits can easily be applied as well as taking a select # of random calls per session. People who can't listen at that time can then call in for up to a week and listen to the call on playback at their own convenience.It can easily be applied to KCBS and take out much of the poor communication issues at very little cost. Hopefully Rod, Jim or Merl can bring this back to the rest of the BOD as an improvement opportunity to keep members informed and involved.

scottyd
12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
All I can say is wow this is a lot to take in, and for now I will ride the fence.

Plowboy
12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Guys, while I appreciate all of your points of view, the original point of this thread was to see if Rod or Merl had anything they could or be willing to share. A simple and innocent question. Out of respect for our KCBS BOD and BRETHREN!, can we stay off of the soapboxes for just one farking thread?!?!

Oh, and.... Jeff for KCBS BOD in 2007! Pass it on.

chad
12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Tim has brought up a valid point that I've been mulling over all day. The FBA was organized because there was little to no regional representation or organizer(s) in FL. Today the FBA promotes and helps organize (al a KCBS style reps) about 20 or so events a year. Some KCBS folks feel like "we" at the FBA are minor league, but we get the events going.

The KCBS events in FL are very nice - Lakeland, Plant City, Key Largo, Felda, and maybe one up around Jacksonville are well run, well attended, and well supported by local sponsors and the cities.

Do I feel neglected? Heck no! We pick and choose our events and have attended Mobile, AL; Dillard, GA; Plant City; Key Largo, etc. over the last couple of years. We also do FBA events at Winter Haven, Sebring, etc. and could compete at least once a month if we had the funds to do it.

For bbq contests to grow it takes local support. KCBS does not seek out venues...the venues seek the KCBS. Getting judges, sites, reps, etc. are the responsiblility of the local organizers/promoters.

New England has NEBS and they perform a function similar to FBA...I don't think they have their own rules and act as a sanctioning body, but they do assist in getting the word out about contests, encourage participation, etc.

Blaming the KCBS for ignoring New England (and specifically NY) as a "region" is short sighted. If the contests are organized and KCBS is approached to sanction - I don't imagine they are turned down -- except maybe in the case of being underfunded or too short of a lead time.

Rules are rules...KCBS, MiM, FBA, the Texas organizations, etc. all are responsive...it just takes time to deal with generating the implementation, changes, etc. Besides, some rule change proposals are so blatantly biased towards or against one side or the other it's just as good they die on the vine.

Regional representation would be nice. I don't honestly think it would change anything, but could definately help get the word out. It's funny, bbq competitors seem to find events no matter how much or how little "official" presence there is from regional or national organizations.

Regional representation would definately spread the load, but it would result in a larger governing body...and I think we all know how ponderous large governing bodies can get. Travel expenses would still be an issue, but phone conf., video conferencing, etc. could definately be expanded to negate travel for most of the members.

Does it need to be "more transparent"? Probably not. But, timely updates on the website, etc. would be appreciated. Little things like getting contest results out the day of the event would be greatly appreciated...waiting for the Bullsheet or someone typing up the results from someone's score sheet is disappointing. As an example: Ricky Ginsberg, and FBA official and webmaster, usually has the results posted on the FBA website within an hour or two of the completion of an event. Granted, FBA has an RV with compters and internet access at each event.

So, changes are inevitable. Some are good for the whole body and some aren't so good...and this is where the BOD has their work cut out for them. Would a larger BOD be better? Maybe, but probably not. Would a larger paid staff be better? Maybe, but higher membership fees won't necessarily help with that. And, the day membership is required before competing you'll lose a lot of new teams and "curious" first timers.

I compete because I LIKE to compete...when it's no longer enjoyable (because it sure isn't paying the bills) I'll stop competing. Whether I do a KCBS, FBA, NBBQA, or local event has little importance...let me see the rules and then lock-and-load!!

These are just some thoughts I've been kicking around today. No repsonses are solicited and I will not ARGUE about any of this.

BrooklynQ
12-04-2006, 11:09 PM
The board and the board meetings definitely need to be more transparent. Rod's opening line about "It's already out that pellet cookers will remain legal" just proves my point. Who knew about this and where was it out? I hadn't heard it anywhere. It's too soon to appear in the BullSheet.

How do I know if a board member deserves my support? As far as I know, I have no way of telling. Can I find their voting record? Where can I find a list of their accomplishments? Or attempts? I've read the meeting notes, in the BullSheet and they're no help. I can't find this information on the KCBS website.

For that matter where do I find the by-laws?

And as for regional representatives, I think that would be a great thing. The needs of the members in NY or Maine or California or Texas or South Carolina are not all the same. If KCBS is truely on path to becoming National, it needs to recognize that and find a way to deal with it.

backyardchef
12-05-2006, 06:35 AM
How do I know if a board member deserves my support? As far as I know, I have no way of telling. Can I find their voting record? Where can I find a list of their accomplishments? Or attempts? I've read the meeting notes, in the BullSheet and they're no help. I can't find this information on the KCBS website.

I don't know about their voting records, but you can read their bios at the KCBS website and you can contact them with questions that you may have that are specific to being a KCBS board member, and the issues that matter most to you.

The_Kapn
12-05-2006, 06:46 AM
"And as for regional representatives, I think that would be a great thing. The needs of the members in NY or Maine or California or Texas or South Carolina are not all the same. If KCBS is truely on path to becoming National, it needs to recognize that and find a way to deal with it."

As I asked before--can you give me one concrete and rational "need" that differs by region.
I am really trying to understand this concept.

TIM

YankeeBBQ
12-05-2006, 06:59 AM
As I asked before--can you give me one concrete and rational "need" that differs by region.
I am really trying to understand this concept.

TIM

Here's 1. Being from the Northeast it would cost me several hundred dollars to attend the annual rules metting in Kansas City. Things brought up at this meeting directly affect my ability to compete such as the vote to ban pellet cookers. If we had a rep from the Northeast they could voice my concerns and opinion on this issue or any issue that would effect me.

Here's another. While bbq is growing in the Northeast we still have a smaller number of teams to draw from compared to the midwest. When the BOD considers sanctioning contests on the same weekend within a couple of hundred miles of each other in the Northeast they need to realize this could negatively impact those contests. Someone from around here would understand that.

I'm sure I could come up with a bunch more.

brian j
12-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Here's 1. Being from the Northeast it would cost me several hundred dollars to attend the annual rules metting in Kansas City. Things brought up at this meeting directly affect my ability to compete such as the vote to ban pellet cookers. If we had a rep from the Northeast they could voice my concerns and opinion on this issue or any issue that would effect me.

Here's another. While bbq is growing in the Northeast we still have a smaller number of teams to draw from compared to the midwest. When the BOD considers sanctioning contests on the same weekend within a couple of hundred miles of each other in the Northeast they need to realize this could negatively impact those contests. Someone from around here would understand that.

sounds like you should run for a position on the board! :mrgreen:

YankeeBBQ
12-05-2006, 07:52 AM
sounds like you should run for a position on the board! :mrgreen:

NOT !!!

backyardchef
12-05-2006, 08:28 AM
DTASMA.......Steve's campaign slogan (ask him about his code some time:icon_blush:)

YankeeBBQ
12-05-2006, 08:44 AM
DTASMA.......Steve's campaign slogan (ask him about his code some time:icon_blush:)

It is a pretty good slogan. It gets down to the heart of the matter :twisted:

Sledneck
12-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Guys, while I appreciate all of your points of view, the original point of this thread was to see if Rod or Merl had anything they could or be willing to share. A simple and innocent question. Out of respect for our KCBS BOD and BRETHREN!, can we stay off of the soapboxes for just one farking thread?!?!

Oh, and.... Jeff for KCBS BOD in 2007! Pass it on.

I like the soapboxes, part of the reason we exist here

jminion
12-05-2006, 08:55 AM

The meetings are over for this year but in the future you can e-mail or write the chairman of the Rules committee and have your point discussed.

When Sanctioning contests we are changing the approval process to include talking with the Reps in the area of the contest to get a better handle on the number of teams in an area to handle another contest within a couple hundred miles.

Jim

YankeeBBQ
12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
The meetings are over for this year but in the future you can e-mail or write the chairman of the Rules committee and have your point discussed.

Jim

Yes but the problem is there is no way to tell what other people are going to send in or discuss at these meetings. If I don't know in advance what will be discussed there is no way for my to share my opinion. Im not psychic, which is why I suggested to the Board that they should publish what was discussed at the meeting and give members time to comment on it.

BrooklynQ
12-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Yankee - how does NEBS handle this?

drbbq
12-05-2006, 09:15 AM
How would NEBS handle this if they had 6000 members?

YankeeBBQ
12-05-2006, 09:33 AM
How would NEBS handle this if they had 6000 members?

I don't know Ray but I hope we get the chance to find out some day.

YankeeBBQ
12-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Yankee - how does NEBS handle this?

Most NEBS contests are KCBS sanctioned so we use KCBS rules. We are working on standardizing grilling rules but it's difficult because we don't want to make it so strict that it cuts down on the creativity we see in grilling now.

Like Ray says we only have 300 members so it's easier for us to communicate with our members. Our meetings are open to the general membership and if they have an issue they can come talk to us.

backyardchef
12-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I think NEBS has the advantage of being fairly localized, as well. With members all over the country (world??) it becomes more complex and expensive for everyone....

Jeff_in_KC
12-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Steve, in all honesty, I don't see how the issues you raised are unique to the northeast or anywhere really. There are pellet cookers here who ARE at the meeting. It doesn't matter how many people attend... as long as pellet cookers are in the minority and the subject comes up, it will be voted against by the members but rejected by the board without compelling evidence to do otherwise. and how do you know your elected rep from the northeast will vote how you want him to vote? That can happen in any area.

As for the sanctioning on same weekends in the northeast, I don't see why it would take someone from the northeast on the board to raise the point and suggest it be done under different rules in areas where there are fewer contests. It makes sense to me and I would be willing to raise the point if I was on the BOD.

One question though... why would you say "NOT" in regards to running for the board? I think you'd do a great job.

YankeeBBQ
12-05-2006, 06:07 PM
One question though... why would you say "NOT" in regards to running for the board? I think you'd do a great job.

Let's just say my plate is full and I wouldn't be able to devote the time required to do a good job. There are other reasons but I think that is enough.

Plowboy
12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
One question though... why would you say "NOT" in regards to running for the board?

Because the next open seat is all yours, Jeff. :wink:

Jeff for KCBS BOD in 2007. Pass it on.

Jeff_in_KC
12-05-2006, 06:27 PM
LOL Todd! I think I need more than a little over a a year and a half experience being involved in the organization before I start running for anything!

Plowboy
12-05-2006, 07:02 PM
LOL Todd! I think I need more than a little over a a year and a half experience being involved in the organization before I start running for anything!

Quality not quantity.

Jeff_in_KC
12-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Quality not quantity.

Tell that to 6,000 farkers who've never heard of me! :lol:

jminion
12-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Steve
You are going to have a say on what contest get sanctioning in the NE. You are on the sanctioning committee for KCBS and this weekend the way request are handled has been changed. All request will come to the committee first to evaluate then recommend to the KCBS Board where to sanction or not. I will be calling on you and the Reps in the NE to give us the information on the number of teams available on any given weekend when contest are within a geographical area.

Looking forward to your input.

arlieque
12-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Jim, why is it the contest organizers NEVER get a call or email to tell us of any rules changes. We have to hear about it second hand. Is this just another problem we have in not getting the word out. Teams have been banded this year for reasons, rules changes etc and we never get a notice from the KCBS on these issues. I am asking you to please email me the rules on sanctioning as of this date including any limits on mileage from other events! As I no it now there is no limit, just the board to say yes or no. That is a huge major problem.

Thanks

Arlie

jminion
12-06-2006, 12:09 AM
Sanctioning is based on being able to supply Reps and the number of teams available in a given area (could be 10s of miles or hundreds based on the area of the country) if there is more than one contest being held on the same date.

The rules aren't changing the investigation to obtain the information need to make an informed descion is.

There have been no teams banned for some rulings that have not be in effect for years.

I'm easy to reach if you have something you would like to talk about.

Plowboy
12-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Tell that to 6,000 farkers who've never heard of me! :lol:

And he's humble, too. :icon_blush:

arlieque
12-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Funny thing is a team was banded for one year per the minutes but no one has been told who they are so we do not accpet there entry to a contest. I see you attend by phone? HUH!

Jeff_in_KC
12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Funny thing is a team was banded for one year per the minutes but no one has been told who they are so we do not accpet there entry to a contest. I see you attend by phone? HUH!

I think they ought to make public who gets banned from contests. Maybe it'll keep some of the idiots who do things to get banned from doing them in the future.

Plowboy
12-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I think they ought to make public who gets banned from contests. Maybe it'll keep some of the idiots who do things to get banned from doing them in the future.

Maybe put them in stocks in the town square.