PDA

View Full Version : If you are ever out on the Island you gotta go to The Farmers Bar

Mrs. Sawdust
11-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Restaurant Review of The Farmer Bar Cutchogue, NY
Reviewer: Mrs. Sawdust

Sawdust Guy and I took a ride east this weekend and stopped at The Farmers Bar a Southern Pit BBQ joint in Cutchogue (North Fork about 30 minutes east of Riverhead off Sound Avenue......in the middle of nowhere). All I can say is what a treat.

The Farmer Bar is located in an quaint old house. It has a warm and cosy atmosphere. The tables have butcher paper table cloths and a roll of paper towels (Definately ready for BBQ) along with Sauces etc.

Now the menu:

For starters they have burnt enz, and many southern classics (Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Okra. Corn Dawgs, Hoppin John and Biscuts and Gravy). Then of course they have the typical BBQ Brisket, Pork, Ribs and Chicken and as they put it "for those whe really have to", salads and Burgers. They have sides that range from typical frys and cole slaw (which was good BTW) to southern favorites...collard greens, grits and fried okra. Guy and I had the "Memphis Throw Down: Pulled Pork, Smoked Brisket, Chicken and Ribs (a great way to try everything). Guy had his with the St.Louis Style Spares and I had the KC Style (Fallin off the bone) spares.The Pulled Pork was tremendous as was their chicken and Burnt Enz. The Brisket however, was perfectly cooked but could have used a little more seasoning. Not that the brisket tasted badly, it was just underseasoned for our taste. The ribs however were a little different story. My KC style ribs were very tender (remember they are suppose to be "fall off the bone"). Guy's ribs were very undercooked and tuff. They were juicy, seasoned well but none the less way undercooked. They could have spent a good hour more in the smoker.

If you every out this way check it out. It was some of the best restaurant Q we 've found on LI.

www.farmerbar.com

MilitantSquatter
11-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the review Michelle...

I've been wanting to get out there to try it for a while .... Seems like it's at least deserving of a visit...

Sledneck
11-13-2006, 08:14 PM
So weird cause we were out in manorville yesterday and we were just about to head out to try it out when all the rain starting coming down so we changed our minds

Smoker
11-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Maybe a group trip?????

MilitantSquatter
11-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm in...

Mrs. Sawdust
11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Sounds like an idea.....We're in

rookiedad
11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
i'd like to get in on that! i have been wanting to try that place for a while.
phil

BrooklynQ
11-13-2006, 09:08 PM
In too.

Smoker
11-13-2006, 09:30 PM
And truth be told, The Cookhouse in Darian CT is probably closer than Cutchouge so we need to go there also.

Sledneck
11-14-2006, 05:20 AM
Lets go thurs nite

Wine & Swine
11-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the review Michele, I was going to drive out there by myself to check it out. Let me know if and when you are going, I'm in.

nancee
11-14-2006, 09:39 PM
A bunch of us had been talking about a jaunt to Cookhouse sometime late fall. To me that kind of sounds like now!!! Anyhow, Greg and I will be there Friday night if anyone wants to join us. They actually have a pretty good happy hour to boot. Let me know...or just surprise us!
Nancee
ps sorry to change topics but honestly, if I am going all the way out to Cutchogue, I am eating seafood not BBQ!!! Mea Culpa...

And truth be told, The Cookhouse in Darian CT is probably closer than Cutchouge so we need to go there also.

Sawdustguy
11-15-2006, 07:10 AM
I'll match that. If I am going all the way to Darian from Manorville, I'm having Lobster.:biggrin:

Sawdustguy
11-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Lets go thurs nite

Steve Thursday is tuff as I will be in DC on Business but Friday or Saturday is cool with Michele and I. Anyone else good for a trip?