Sorry, Mods please move this if necessary

Watching the Detective tonight on Food TV

Dinosaur Barbecue in New York

Chit looked good!

He had a whole New York Show

Anyone try Dinosaur?

I might be in Manhatten in the next few months

Great show

I've heard that Dinosaur is good. BrooklinQ would know for sure. Daisy Mays BBQ is very good, but is not dine in.

Plowboy
11-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Blue Smoke is also very good and a nice place.

Bill-Chicago
11-08-2006, 08:18 AM
I think I meant to put this in the Road Trips/ Reviews forum.

Sorry bout that.

Wine & Swine
11-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Here is a thread from a few months ago. You can sit down at Daisy May's but it is just a cafeteria style d.r. Dinosaur's que is pretty good but the place is really cool and has a great feel. They also have a full bar etc (really good beer selection).
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19954

RichardF
11-08-2006, 08:25 AM
IMHO RUB is hands-down the best Q in the City. I'm actually going to make the statement that their burnt ends and bacon may be some of the best anywhere. Dino, while a BBQ restaurant that makes ok Q is best known for their chicken wings. It has sort of a Friday's meets Roadhouse meets Biker Bar atmosphere. Big variety of both beer and liquor. Great place to go with a big group..If you do get to RUB, the owner Andrew, and the Pit Master Scott are usually available to talk about Q.

CharlieBeasley
11-08-2006, 08:32 AM
It is over rated and over priced sauce is OK meat tended to be over cooked and any one of my brothers in smoke I have tasted do better. The draw is he is an interesting person who started started with a pit pulled behind a Harley (rummer I heard not confirmed) I like the tattooed Waitress' most are knockouts but a few you should be very afraid whoooo! Dry costly and over sauced. I have a friend who said the chicken is smoked Paprika.

BrooklynQ
11-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Dinosaur in NYC SUCKS! Good bar with mediocre bbq. (Rumor has it that's it's for sale if anyone is interested.)

************************************/2004_12_01_whitetrashbbq_archive.html
************************************/2005_01_01_whitetrashbbq_archive.html
************************************/2005/12/restaurant-review-dinosaur-bbq.html

Bill-Chicago
11-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Dinosaur in NYC SUCKS! Good bar with mediocre bbq. (Rumor has it that's it's for sale if anyone is interested.)

************************************/2005/12/restaurant-review-dinosaur-bbq.html

Wow.

Not very glowing reviews :shock:

I would not have post this last night had I known the facts from CB, BQ, et al.

Food TV can be deceiving.

Wine & Swine
11-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Rob, where did you hear they were selling. I have been by there twice and both times it was jumping. Bottom line is that BBQ in NY can in inconsistent and the truth is that I have had good que at all of them at least once (maybe 1 or 2 items only) and I have had bad que at all of them at least once (including RUB and Daisy May's). I look at NY que as Urban BBQ and part of it is the show.

RichardF
11-08-2006, 09:39 AM

Don't say anything too bad about Dino, hoards of Syracuse University alumni will hunt you down...

SmokeInDaEye
11-08-2006, 09:47 AM
I've been there once and was happy with their brisket but, as Wine & Swine said, any of these places can have up & down nights. Let us know when you come Bill and we'll come up with something special, maybe a mini tour of Rub, Daisy Mays, etc.

As for the show, I missed the Dinosaur part but caught him eating at Shake Shack. That place has some amazing burgers and is a block from my office. Think I'll be heading there for lunch, in fact:mrgreen: .

BrooklynQ
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Rob, where did you hear they were selling. I have been by there twice and both times it was jumping. Bottom line is that BBQ in NY can in inconsistent and the truth is that I have had good que at all of them at least once (maybe 1 or 2 items only) and I have had bad que at all of them at least once (including RUB and Daisy May's). I look at NY que as Urban BBQ and part of it is the show.

Like I said, it's a rumor. But from good sources and heard repeatedly.

Bill-Chicago
11-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Let us know when you come Bill and we'll come up with something special, maybe a mini tour of Rub, Daisy Mays, etc.

I'll do that Clint.

I "understand" an 11,000 unit apartment complex in Manhatten just got sold and I might be going there in the near future.

backyardchef
11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Dinosaur is fine......some nights better than others, as has already been said. RUB has zero atmosphere, Blue Smoke is a little too white tablecloth, but the food is strong.

Unfortunately, the food I've had from Daisy May's recently has been really disappointing-- overlysmoked, bitter pork rib shiners and flavorless slaw. The beef ribs are the only thing from there that I'd eat right now.

RUB usually has the best food of the Manhattan 'que joints, but Dino is the most "fun" and I think their pork ribs without sauce, while overcooked, are damn good.

backyardchef
11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
I'll do that Clint.

I "understand" an 11,000 unit apartment complex in Manhatten just got sold and I might be going there in the near future.

Stuyvesant Town?

BrooklynQ
11-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Matt - I was at Daisy May's the other nigt and everything was spot on. The Memphis Dry Ribs, beans and bourbon peaches were all great. When Adam's on he's very hard to beat.

RUB I think has really improved since it first opened. It's gotten much more consitent and their pork products are great. One big downfall for me is that they use the same rub on everything and I don't think it works that great on other meats.

SmokeInDaEye
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I've been pleased with RUB my last couple trips. If you want consistency, try Dallas BBQ. Consistent cr#*, that is.:-P

I'm sure me, Matt, Wine& Swine, BQ (and his special friend Romero?:confused: ) and the other NY/LI brethren can show you a good time, Bill.

BrooklynQ
11-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Romero can show you a real good time. Trust me. :shock:

Bill-Chicago
11-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Stuyvesant Town?

Shhh!!

Silent Partner Mod

RichardF
11-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Shhh!!

Silent Partner Mod
somebody should shut you the fark up ;-)

You can never be too sure who your other Brethren are. Even though things said here have the same protection as being said in a confessional, a $5B deal, on the largest contiguous piece of Manhattan real estate is almost too good not to gossip about...

Bill-Chicago
11-08-2006, 10:31 AM
As long as its printed in the paper, I can talk about it.

3 weeks ago, thats a different story.

You have friends at Black Rock Richard? ;)

BrooklynQ
11-08-2006, 10:37 AM
I used to work at Black Rock.

RichardF
11-08-2006, 10:40 AM
As long as its printed in the paper, I can talk about it.

3 weeks ago, thats a different story.

You have friends at Black Rock Richard? ;)
I was with one of the runners-up, which may be a good thing.

The "Be Careful What You Wish For" Mod. Sort of like winning the debt assignment on the Sears Tower.

Larry Fink and I go way back ;-). Now I deal with his coal company on occasion.

Bill-Chicago
11-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Ever notice how the internet makes you realize you live in a small world?

I'll definitely have to look you guys up if I get there.

RichardF
11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Ever notice how the internet makes you realize you live in a small world?

I'll definitely have to look you guys up if I get there.

I'm just a small cog in the big machine. Not based out of NYC anymore, but get up their often.

BBQchef33
11-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I think I meant to put this in the Road Trips/ Reviews forum.

Sorry bout that.

moved as requested. :tongue:

Sawdustguy
11-08-2006, 04:09 PM
IMHO RUB is hands-down the best Q in the City. I'm actually going to make the statement that their burnt ends and bacon may be some of the best anywhere. Dino, while a BBQ restaurant that makes ok Q is best known for their chicken wings. It has sort of a Friday's meets Roadhouse meets Biker Bar atmosphere. Big variety of both beer and liquor. Great place to go with a big group..If you do get to RUB, the owner Andrew, and the Pit Master Scott are usually available to talk about Q.

I don't believe Andrew is the owner. I believe RUB is owned by Paul Kirk and Andrew is his right hand man.

RichardF
11-08-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't believe Andrew is the owner. I believe RUB is owned by Paul Kirk and Andrew is his right hand man.
I believe you are wrong.

BBQchef33
11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
yup...

Me thinks kirks just the the name recognition.

Sawdustguy
11-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I believe you are wrong.

I will investigate. If I am wrong I will have learned something thanks to you.

Sawdustguy
11-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Here is the article from NY Magazine that claims Paul Kirk is part owner. Mabe Andrew is partners with Paul.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/rub/index.html

RichardF
11-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Here is the article from NY Magazine that claims Paul Kirk is part owner. Mabe Andrew is partners with Paul.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/rub/index.html
Why do you care so much who owns how much of RUB.

SmokeInDaEye
11-08-2006, 08:30 PM
I met Andrew a few weeks ago and didn't think much, good, bad or indifferent.

But the fact is that Paul as a owner, co-owner, or simply a name on the menu brings people into the restaurant better than Andrew Whats-his-farkin-name would.

Fortunately, IMO, the food has gotten progressively better since they opened a year+ ago, meaning they actually care about turning out good product and not just riding a BBQ wave on Paul's coat tails.

RichardF
11-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I met Andrew a few weeks ago and didn't think much, good, bad or indifferent.

But the fact is that Paul as a owner, co-owner, or simply a name on the menu brings people into the restaurant better than Andrew Whats-his-farkin-name would.

Fortunately, IMO, the food has gotten progressively better since they opened a year+ ago, meaning they actually care about turning out good product and not just riding a BBQ wave on Paul's coat tails.
exactly

Wine & Swine
11-09-2006, 09:21 AM
You shouldn't ride on Paul Kirk's back he has bad knees. Paul owns a percentage of the place so they can use his name (I am not sure if he put up hard dollars or just use of the name + P.R. time, etc.). Many restaurants have celebrity investors/owners (especially in NY & LA) who are usually in for either a small amount of money (10-20k as opposed to 100k for regular investors) or none at all and use their name recogition to draw a crowd. They are usually the first debt paid. I ran a place a few years ago that had about half a dozen big name celebrity owner/investors who would stop in periodically, people love it. Some are more involoved than others like Paul who said last time he was in NY he was trying the new bacon at RUB and had thought it was a little salty but he said "Andrew knows what he is doing and will fix it" now if it WERE his place he would have fixed it.

Sawdustguy
11-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Guys, it's no big deal. Just pure curiousity and memory. If I was wrong I learned something.

backyardchef
11-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Some are more involoved than others like Paul who said last time he was in NY he was trying the new bacon at RUB and had thought it was a little salty but he said "Andrew knows what he is doing and will fix it" now if it WERE his place he would have fixed it.

Regardless of who owns what, according to Scott, the pitmaster at RUB, Paul comes up periodically and checks to make sure that everything is being done right in the kitchen. The bacon was sort of Scott's pet project. He was mentored to some degree by Allan Benton (http://www.bentonshams.com/). The recipes, techniques, temps for the barbecue, etc..did, though, come from the Baron.

There are probably more owners/investors involved than we all think.

RichardF
11-09-2006, 10:26 AM
...The bacon was sort of Scott's pet project. He was mentored to some degree by Allan Benton... (http://www.bentonshams.com/)
MMMM - RUB BACON....