PDA

View Full Version : Douglas GA--Best of the Best INV and OPEN

chad
10-06-2006, 08:30 AM
Here's the link to info about this "best of the best" cookoff in Douglas, GA.

The teams list is interesting...lots of heavy hitters. I think I highlighted the "Brethren" teams...apologies to any that I missed.

The contest has both Invitational and Open competition.

Tim and I will be helping out Purple Turtle.

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/

Invited to the Best of the Best 2006

Teams State

FLORIDA BBQ ASSOCIATION (FBA)

HomeBBQ.com FL

Woodhouse Grill FL

Kick the Tire, Light the Fire FL

Prime Time Smokers FL

The Dixie Boys FL

Big Daddy's Butt Rub FL

Squeals on Wheels FL

Junkyard Dogs FL

Buzzard's Bait BBQ FL

KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY (KCBS)

Twin Oak Smokin Crew OK

Smokin' Triggers TX

Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs MO

Lotta Bull OK

Buttrub.com FL

Parrothead Smokers SD

Buffalo's BBQ OK

Smokin' Clones IA

Four Men & a Pig KS

Head Country II OK

LONE STAR BARBECUE SOCIETY (LSBS)

Smoke'um & Stroke'um TX

Coyote Ranch #3 TX

Coyote Ranch #6 TX

J&J Rednecks TX

One Slice at a Time TX

Daddy's Team TX

Daddy's Better Half TX

Klondike Kookers TX

Circle D Cookers TX

No Butts BBQ TX

MEMPHIS BARBECUE ASSOCIATION (MBA)

Natural Born Grillers MS

Gwatney Co. Championship BBQ TN

Jack's Old South BBQ GA

Rib Ticklers AR

Huish Grill Team TN

Porky's Pride AL

Barnyard Roasters MS

Pig Pounda Kappa GA

Boggy Pond BBQ Brigade GA

NEW ENGLAND BARBECUE SOCIETY (NEBS)

iQue MA

Lunch Meat MA

Seabrisket Boucaniers NH

I Smell Smoke MA

Bastey Boys MA

Fireflys BBQ MA

Purple Turtles CT

Dirty Dick & the Legless Wonders MA

Dr. Frank 'N Swine MA

Big Island BBQ MA

INTERNATIONAL BARBECUE COOKERS ASSOCIATION (IBCA)

We Be Smokin' TX

Blazen BBQ TX

Borderline Cookers TX

Smokin' with Attitude TX

I Ain't Prime TX

Big "H" Cooking Team TX

Cookin' with Attitude TX

We Be Smokin' Too TX

Stone Cold Cooking Team TX

Poke in Da Eye TX

BCB Cookers TX

CENTRAL TEXAS BARBECUE ASSOCIATION (CTBA)

The Spice Is Right TX

Smolderin' Hot TX

Budwiser Cooking Team TX

As Good As It Gets TX

Bar-B-Que Bandits TX

Redneck Cookers TX

Jake & Boo's BBQ TX

Little John's BBQ TX

Burning Sensations TX

10th Special Edition TX

No submissions (to date) from: California BBQ Association

2005 TOP 10 IN BEST OF THE BEST

Bar-B-QuauGA

Smokin' TriggersTX

Oink, Cackle & Moo TN

Jack's Old SouthGA

Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs MO

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q AL

Firefly's Bodacious BBQ MA

Lunchmeat MA

HomeBBQ.com FL

Smoker's Wild KS

2005 TOP 10 IN SMOKIN' ON THE SQUARE National BBQ Festival

Jack's Old SouthGA

Bar-B-QuauIL

Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-QAL

Tom & Josh's Orgasmic Slabs
MO

HomeBBQ.comFL

Pork AvenueAL

QN4U CA

Smoker's Wild KS

Big Daddy's Butt Rub FL

Log Hogs FL

chad
10-06-2006, 08:35 AM
I just found out I'm in deep doo-doo...I'll be in Douglas and it's the same weekend as the wife's company holiday party...hmmm. It's a great party but I'm already committed to the competition -- she understands, but somehow it'll probably still come out as being "my fault".

The_Kapn
10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
I just found out I'm in deep doo-doo...I'll be in Douglas and it's the same weekend as the wife's company holiday party...hmmm. It's a great party but I'm already committed to the competition -- she understands, but somehow it'll probably still come out as being "my fault".

Anne will forgive ya, she always does :lol:
If not, blame it on me.

Small edit, not that it matters.
Dave is cooking with Nancee and the Purple Turtle crew. I have been drafted by Kevin (HomeBBQ).
Maybe a little side bet action...??

This is gonna be a fun event--for sure!

TIM

Pork Avenue BBQ
10-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Highlight Me
I slipped in the back door by coming in 6th overall in the open in Douglas last year. I don't know how, it was only my 4th contest.
Maybe I can hold my own with the big boys this year. I cook by myself but have enlisted someone to help me at Douglas with the back to back Friday and Saturday Contests.
Walt
PORK AVENUE
DOTHAN ALABAMA

chad
10-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Highlight Me
I slipped in the back door by coming in 6th overall in the open in Douglas last year. I don't know how, it was only my 4th contest.
Maybe I can hold my own with the big boys this year. I cook by myself but have enlisted someone to help me at Douglas with the back to back Friday and Saturday Contests.
Walt
PORK AVENUE
DOTHAN ALABAMA

Walt, sorry for the oversight!! Good luck.

Nitrofly
10-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Those are just the Invites, who's actually going to Douglas?
lunchmeat will be there. Fun contest they treat the cookers
like gold. We are cooking both days this year a first for lunchmeat
two days & nights for two contests.. I can't wait.
Sully

Pork Avenue BBQ
10-06-2006, 09:57 AM
They have local people assigned to each team to help with whatever you need and make you feel at home.
I asked for the same two Ladies that I had last year :wink:
Walt
PORK AVENUE

lunchlady
10-06-2006, 02:41 PM
OK, so what kind of side bet action are ya talkin' Kapn? I'm a gamblin' kind of gal....

The_Kapn
10-06-2006, 03:12 PM
OK, so what kind of side bet action are ya talkin' Kapn? I'm a gamblin' kind of gal....

Michelle,
Dave is pit bitchin' for Purple Turtle.
I am pit bitchin' for Kevin.
Everyone knows the pit bitch is the key to a winning performance by a team.
So, I was thinking just Dave and I square off for "Ultimate Pit Bitch" ranking with a little side action :lol:

If you believe any of that--I got some primo land I wanna sell ya :lol:

I have a limited budget--ROF (retired old fart) on a fixed income. :redface:
I can let my mouth overload my wallet in a heartbeat :redface:

We can surely discuss it at Douglas though.

Looking forward to it!

TIM

Rub
10-06-2006, 03:17 PM
I'm teaming up with TDB for the Invitational, and Big Pig Inc for the Open.
Really looking forward to it!

backyardchef
10-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Hi Rub, glad to see you here! Head over to Cattle Call and introduce yourself if you haven't already....

Matt in NYC

nancee
10-07-2006, 11:10 AM
well, good thing I decided to goof off at work!!! Guess Kevin gave ya a better deal eh?! Or at least a better shot of glory...like he needs any help!Anne will forgive ya, she always does :lol:
If not, blame it on me.

Small edit, not that it matters.
Dave is cooking with Nancee and the Purple Turtle crew. I have been drafted by Kevin (HomeBBQ).
Maybe a little side bet action...??

This is gonna be a fun event--for sure!

TIM

big daddy Q
10-10-2006, 10:22 PM
I called up to douglas and asked for a list of the teams in the open, they didnt really seem to know, does any one know how many teams were there last year for the open and what the pay-outs are ? I'll be there, just cant seem to find much info on it !

Pork Avenue BBQ
10-11-2006, 06:35 AM
I called up to douglas and asked for a list of the teams in the open, they didnt really seem to know, does any one know how many teams were there last year for the open and what the pay-outs are ? I'll be there, just cant seem to find much info on it !

There were 87 teams in last years open . They told me they would have a list after the fiftenth of the month, Thats when they have their cut-off on registration.
$30,000 for invitational and $20,000 for Open

chad
10-11-2006, 07:54 AM

Lot's of info at there website:

http://www.nationalbbqfestival.com/

Also, nearly all the teams that do the Invitational do the Open...that gives you a start on the list.

Nitrofly
10-11-2006, 10:26 AM
So are the turtles come to Dougals again this year .. Oh Boy I love
BBQ.. Don't forget to take it out of four wheel drive.. gets better
gas mileage that way iI heard .. Come over for a Cherry or what ever..
Douglas Ga. pure southern hospitality, This yankee from Allston
couldn't live there but it's a great place to vist.. They say I talk funny??
I can't remmeber our amabassador's name but she treated us like gold..
And she and her friends had a ball doing it.. when I die I want to come
back as a Best of the Best BBQ contest amabassdor.

Sully

nancee
10-27-2006, 09:16 AM
These northern brethren are looking forward to cooking with the Southern Brethren next weekend!!! Anyone in the vicinity please stop by and visit. We will have the Purple Turtle banner and probably a bunch of Gator paraphernalia, presuming they don't lose too bad tomorrow.
We're outa here...catch y'all later...
nancee

The_Kapn
11-03-2006, 05:45 PM
This is my third attempt to post some interim results--farkin' motel connection!

Via cell from Chad!--Purple Turtle #2 in Whole Hog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is totally amazing since neither they nor Dave and I have ever cooked a whole hog :lol:
There is a huge and funny story there, complete with pics ---for later.

Purple Turtle--#6 in brisket--Kewl!

Overall and chicken, unknown right now--later.

There were many Brethren walks--details later.

This is a great event, super well organized. Very "cooker friendly".

Forgive me for not having morel, but we have the Open tomorrow. I gotta get some sleep and go back at midnight for the graveyard shift :redface:
I (and all of us) are exhausted and still have to do it again tommorow for the open.

We are having a "large" and great time--too much fun :lol:

Later,

TIM

MilitantSquatter
11-03-2006, 05:48 PM
wow !!!!!!!!!!!

SmokeInDaEye
11-03-2006, 08:52 PM
HOLY FARKAMOULE! 2nd in whole hog?!!! That's amazing considering what (no) experience you had! Good luck with the rest!

chad
11-04-2006, 02:20 AM
What a couple of days we've had!

I'm back at the motel to catch some zzzz's at 3 a.m. We got the second hog on at 10 p.m. along with three briskets and about 8 butts...we're doing 2 for our People's Choice entry and the rest for whatever the organizers need them for.

This second hog is a bit smaller and after we removed the head and feet it fits perfectly, butterflied, in the "grill" side of the Kingfisher. We have high hopes for tomorrow. The hog that took 2nd place was outstanding...moist, tender, etc. The loin was like butter -- this is NOT your average hog.

Mike of Woodhouse grill took Reserve in the Invitational...in the confusion at the end of awards I failed to pass that along to Tim for his earlier post.

These back to back events are exhausting...Nancee keeps falling asleep in her chair even though we encourage her to just go get some sleep! It's been a great event, and not just for the walks...fantastic weather though it is a bit chilly (actually cold!!) at night. The folks of Douglas support the heck out of this event and it shows!

Solidkick
11-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Keep doing your thing cookers! We're all proud as hell out of ya just being there! Wish I was there iwth ya!

Jeff_in_KC
11-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Forgive me for not having morel, but we have the Open tomorrow.

That's OK Tim... I understand. It's not morel season up here either. But I do have some in the freezer I might whip out! :lol:

Congrats to all the Brethren at the BOTB! Great job!!! I wanna go check that out someday!

chad
11-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Well, the pary is over! We're back at the motel cleaning up and getting some rest in preparation for driving home Sunday.

We didn't do as well in the Open...9 out of 11 on our pig, but we now know that an approximately 95 pound pig with the head and feet off will fit, butterflied in the Kingfisher!

I'll let Nancee fill in any gory details she cares to share. We had a great LONG weekend cooking with Purple Turtles.

I love doing whole hog...I'll never "do" a MiM event since the presentation issues are HUGE, but I'd never turn down a chance to pit pitch for a team!

I'm sure more details will follow from the other teams, too.

SP
11-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Any overall results?

The_Kapn
11-06-2006, 04:30 PM
I am finally feeling like a functioning human being again :lol:
2 Day events are tough on an old fart :redface:

It was really great to meet Nancee, Greg, and the crew from LazyQ. LazyQ cooked with us for the Invitational and then against us in the Open.
Their first competition. Great folks!
Also got to meet Michelle and the Lunchmeat crew. A much needed cup of coffee in the wee AM hours. Thanks!

Whole Hog was a real experience. I got a real education on pig raising from the LazyQ crew. Experts, and so dedicated to quality pork. They are "salt of the earth" kind of folks. They have a very informative website (if not the most sophisticated) at www.lazyq.com (http://www.lazyq.com). Big Jim also makes some awesome pig cookers.

Dave (Chad) is enamored with cooking whole hogs now. I wish him the best :wink:

I have some pics when I find the camera.

Thanks for having us, Nancee and Greg!

TIM

chad
11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
TIM

Hey, knowing I had a part in beating Jack's Old South just once in my life cooking a whole hog was well worth the experience :-D ...guess I ought to go to the pig cooking class to find out what I messed up! Maybe David and Myron won't be as open to our hanging around...though, I'll admit that I didn't go near their site until after our first pig was in the cooker.

Our little hog (about 85#) needed some help and I'm pretty sure what I missed...we might have walked higher in the Open if I'd paid attention - I think sleep deprivation may have had something to do with that.

We had an wonderful hog for the Invitational!! The loin was like butter and the whole thing had enough fat to let you know you were eating HOG!!

Outside of the logistics of actually getting 135# or so of hog into and out of the cooker - I didn't find the cooking of the pig that difficult...of course the lazyq cooker assisted with that - they need to move the thermometers though!!

I am going to experiment with shoulders, too. Not for turn in at competition but to get better at cooking them and maybe find some parts of it we could use.

As Tim said, thanks to Greg and Nancee for the chance to cook the Open and Invitational. The lazyq crew were my kind of folks...absolutely cooking FOOLS - we did not go hungry.

The_Kapn
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Finally got 3 pics loaded and cleaned up.
This is the 2nd Place Hog in the Invitational.
Pretty self explanatory.
I know there were many more pics taken.

The hog had to be cut in thirds to get it "out" of the cooker!

What an adventure!:lol:

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
11-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks Tim! Looks awesome! But for crissakes, don't let Phil see those pictures!!! There's not a bit of cryovac to be seen ANYWHERE! :lol: :wink:

chad
11-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks Tim! Looks awesome! But for crissakes, don't let Phil see those pictures!!! There's not a bit of cryovac to be seen ANYWHERE! :lol: :wink:

He should have been there when we cut off the heads, tails, and feet!:shock: Like we keep saying, this was Nancee, Greg, Tim, and my first hog cook. If cooking a piece of meat with a face bothers ya - well, that's what butts and briskets are for!

I've eaten whole hog at pig pickin's. Fortunately, we had Bob and Ginger to teach us about handling the hog - and we took care of the seasoning and presentation...

Lot's of fun...I would love to go back to Douglas again - for either the Invitational or Open (or preferably both - I'm a glutton for punishment!):mrgreen:

I'm sorry we couldn't come through for Purple Turtle and help get them an automatic return next year!

backyardchef
11-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Great, GREAT job you guys! That's awesome. Sounds like the Turtles went from first timers to big timers in a snap. Way to go......

YankeeBBQ
11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Bob and Ginger also have a website http://www.bobinga.com/

I am finally feeling like a functioning human being again :lol:
2 Day events are tough on an old fart :redface:

It was really great to meet Nancee, Greg, and the crew from LazyQ. LazyQ cooked with us for the Invitational and then against us in the Open.
Their first competition. Great folks!
Also got to meet Michelle and the Lunchmeat crew. A much needed cup of coffee in the wee AM hours. Thanks!

Whole Hog was a real experience. I got a real education on pig raising from the LazyQ crew. Experts, and so dedicated to quality pork. They are "salt of the earth" kind of folks. They have a very informative website (if not the most sophisticated) at www.lazyq.com (http://www.lazyq.com). Big Jim also makes some awesome pig cookers.

I have some pics when I find the camera.

Thanks for having us, Nancee and Greg!

TIM

lunchlady
11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
ok...this is how brain damaged I have become since the recent blond job last week...
I just figured out this morning (tuesday) that Rub from Swamp Boys (?), a fellow brethren, was standing next to me in line for the team parade (on Friday) trying really hard to introduce himself and talk to me. Of course, I was oblivious. So sorry man, I was a bit nervous and distracted and not paying attention AT ALL seeing as I was the only Yankee in a crowd of 'not Yankees', and a female Yank to boot!

Then I just figured out another one.... chad is not really named chad...he is Dave, he just lives in FLA....that's funny right there, especially on an election day. It just took me this long to get it. DUH!

It was great to meet everyone that I met in Douglas, and I promise, next time, I will share a frosty beverage and chat with ya, Rub. I can't believe I didn't realize that was you, I sincerely apologize if I came off as a total jerk. It was just me being me....twit as usual.

lunchlady

chad
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
chad is not really named chad...he is Dave, he just lives in FLA....that's funny right there, especially on an election day.

Yep, that's where it came from! I was catching crap back in 2003 and after the 2004 elections, well - I was thrown under the bus! A year or so ago I figured "why fight it" - the founders of this forum were calling me Chad most of the time anyway!!

Rub
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Lol, no problem at all Michelle - I do the same type thing all the time.
Plus I'm used to being ignored by girls of the opposite sex :tongue:

My team is Swamp Boys, but I didn't qualify this year. So I was there cooking with The Dixie Boys in the Invitational, and Big Pig Inc in the Open. I have qualified for '07, so I'll be there as me then.

Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves cooking down south. It looks like you had a good call in the invitational!

Jorge
11-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Plus I'm used to being ignored by girls of the opposite sex :tongue:

If I knew you, you understand how hard it would be to ignore that door you left open there?:wink:

Rub
11-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Jorge, I was trying to pull off a Yogi Berra-type quote, but I guess it didn't work. Doh!
:icon_bugeyed

nancee
11-10-2006, 06:29 PM
thanks to everyone for your kind comments. As this is an old thread, I will try to keep my comments brief but I do need to get back to all who gave us all your incredible support
nancee
Great, GREAT job you guys! That's awesome. Sounds like the Turtles went from first timers to big timers in a snap. Way to go......

nancee
11-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Dude, You guys were the best!!!
Yes, it was a weekend of firsts...1st pig, first time meeting and cooking with you guys, first time cooking on a stickburner, 1st time cooking green chicken...the list could go on and on...
So thanks again and hopefully we can repeat next year with even better results...we probably already have an invite unless I screw something up real bad in the spring
good luck to you and Tim in Plant City btw...
nancee

He should have been there when we cut off the heads, tails, and feet!:shock: Like we keep saying, this was Nancee, Greg, Tim, and my first hog cook. If cooking a piece of meat with a face bothers ya - well, that's what butts and briskets are for!

I've eaten whole hog at pig pickin's. Fortunately, we had Bob and Ginger to teach us about handling the hog - and we took care of the seasoning and presentation...

Lot's of fun...I would love to go back to Douglas again - for either the Invitational or Open (or preferably both - I'm a glutton for punishment!):mrgreen:

I'm sorry we couldn't come through for Purple Turtle and help get them an automatic return next year!

nancee
11-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Piggie #2 weighed in at 103# so you know how big your cooker can hold

I think the cold and fatigue had a LOT to do with the open...
not to mention dumb distractions (pies) and fame (pbs filming)...

I also got to thinking that my inexperience with a stickburner probably finally bit us...guess that's why people wrap stuff...[

anyhow, not too bad for our motley crew and we look forward to doing this again sometime when its not so cold and windy.
nancee

quote=chad]Hey, knowing I had a part in beating Jack's Old South just once in my life cooking a whole hog was well worth the experience :-D ...guess I ought to go to the pig cooking class to find out what I messed up! Maybe David and Myron won't be as open to our hanging around...though, I'll admit that I didn't go near their site until after our first pig was in the cooker.

Our little hog (about 85#) needed some help and I'm pretty sure what I missed...we might have walked higher in the Open if I'd paid attention - I think sleep deprivation may have had something to do with that.

We had an wonderful hog for the Invitational!! The loin was like butter and the whole thing had enough fat to let you know you were eating HOG!!

Outside of the logistics of actually getting 135# or so of hog into and out of the cooker - I didn't find the cooking of the pig that difficult...of course the lazyq cooker assisted with that - they need to move the thermometers though!!

I am going to experiment with shoulders, too. Not for turn in at competition but to get better at cooking them and maybe find some parts of it we could use.

As Tim said, thanks to Greg and Nancee for the chance to cook the Open and Invitational. The lazyq crew were my kind of folks...absolutely cooking FOOLS - we did not go hungry.[/quote]

nancee
11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Jeez, you forgot to mention the pies that screwed up the whole open for us...pretty expensive couple of apples don't ya think??!!!<G>

I will confess to being a lot less than thrilled with the scoring system of this event...would be interested in hearing from other competitors.

Anyhow, we finally made it home late Monday night and sorted through the 5000+ messages that came in while we were gone...

glad you like my LazyQ pals...Big Jim's website is LazyQ.com if anyone needs a great versatile pit at anextremely reasonable price.

When Greg gets around to it we'll try to get some pictures up here and should have all the gory details over at our site. ill then
Ding Ding...
Nancee

Well, the pary is over! We're back at the motel cleaning up and getting some rest in preparation for driving home Sunday.

We didn't do as well in the Open...9 out of 11 on our pig, but we now know that an approximately 95 pound pig with the head and feet off will fit, butterflied in the Kingfisher!

I'll let Nancee fill in any gory details she cares to share. We had a great LONG weekend cooking with Purple Turtles.

I love doing whole hog...I'll never "do" a MiM event since the presentation issues are HUGE, but I'd never turn down a chance to pit pitch for a team!

I'm sure more details will follow from the other teams, too.

The_Kapn
11-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Dude, You guys were the best!!!
Yes, it was a weekend of firsts...1st pig, first time meeting and cooking with you guys, first time cooking on a stickburner, 1st time cooking green chicken...the list could go on and on...
So thanks again and hopefully we can repeat next year with even better results...we probably already have an invite unless I screw something up real bad in the spring
good luck to you and Tim in Plant City btw...
nancee

That whole experience was one to "keep" in my lttle memory bank!
So much fun, learning, and bonding with NE folks :lol:

In case anyone misses it--Nancee was interviewed and filmed "extensively" by PBS as she put together one of her award winning pies!
Hope the footage survives the cutting board--she did great!!!!!

I will not comment on your "green" chicken, except to say, our "green" brisket has always scored well! :wink: :wink: :wink:
That was just too funny!
Sorry, the Devil made me do it! :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Best of luck to you all and we hope to see ya back in Douglas next year!

TIM

chad
11-13-2006, 11:59 AM
LazyQ has some pics up from the Douglas, GA, event. I think most of these are from Thursday/Friday. http://www.lazyq.com/douglas.htm

Hey, Phil, these two are for you - no cryovac involved!!:eek: :mrgreen: