09-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Paul Kirk will be teaching a BBQ class on Saturday October 21st
at the Water Taxi Beach
Long Island City
Queens, New York

$250 per person.
you supply cookers, fuel and cooking implements
we provide the rest

Registration and money due by October 12th.

Contact BrooklynQ or Backyardchef ASAP - space limited

Yup - it's happening! Really. I mean it.

backyardchef
09-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Water Taxi Beach (http://www.watertaxibeach.com) is located in Long Island City, right on the Hudson River. In the warmer months there is a tiki bar/hamburger stand and all year round there is an incredible view of the Manhattan Skyline. As you can see from this picture. http://static.flickr.com/80/222610742_677906f767.jpg?v=0

There will be plenty of room for us all and it's easy to get there (the website has directions via several modes of transport).

Click Here For The Water Taxi Beach Website (http://www.watertaxibeach.com)

Anyone that would like to come but doesn't have a pit to bring, please get in touch with us. Anyone else, get in touch with either of us with any questions.

A little more about the class
This class is suited for the back yard BBQ enthusiast, the seasoned competitor, or those considering opening a BBQ joint (restaurant). The Baron will cover the basics of BBQing Brisket, Pork Butt, Pork Ribs, Chicken, and Sausage. He will also cover fire management, fuels, BBQ rubs and spices, BBQ sauce, contest presentation, among many other subjects.

RichardF
09-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Paul Kirk will be teaching a BBQ class on Saturday October 21st
at the Water Taxi Beach
Long Island City
Queens, New York

$250 per person.
you supply cookers, fuel and cooking implements
we provide the rest

Registration and money due by October 12th.

Contact BrooklynQ or Backyardchef ASAP - space limited

Yup - it's happening! Really. I mean it.
Bring your cooker and fuel, but leave your foil at home because the Baron don't use no Texas Crutch...

backyardchef
09-28-2006, 06:59 PM
It's going to start pretty early-- probably around 7 or so, and end around 7pm. That's still t.b.d, but I expect it will be something like that.

backyardchef
09-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Here's the form.....it is also available by clicking here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/hamptonsmoker) under "Paul Kirk Class Oct 21"

drumfreak
09-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Sounds great. I am psyched.

Wine & Swine
10-03-2006, 12:03 PM
I am hoping to attend, but I don't really have a smoker to bring. Would it be possible to team up with someone?

John

backyardchef
10-03-2006, 12:14 PM
I am hoping to attend, but I don't really have a smoker to bring. Would it be possible to team up with someone?

John

Hi John--

You can also bring a weber kettle or something like that-- but we expect to have a couple of large-ish smokers on hand for people that might not be able to bring something. Not a problem!

--Matt

Wine & Swine
10-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks Matt, I am still trying to work out being out on another Saturday from the restaurant and convince the wife it is the best way for me to spend our anniversary. Hopefully I can make it work, it sounds great.

Sawdustguy
10-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Any Long Island Brethren going to the class??

Sledneck
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
.........maybe

drumfreak
10-03-2006, 11:04 PM
I might do it too. Anybody else..... We need 25 students to make this happen

Wine & Swine
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I would be 100% if it was on a Sunday. What a great opportunity to learn from one of best.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I can't make it this time around as I have a catering deal on the 21st.
If the date changes at the last min. let me know, I really would like to attend.

MilitantSquatter
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Can't attend.. Being out all day is not gonna fly (wife's birthday) and it was a bit short notice... I would have loved for this to be in the early springtime...

BYC & BQ deserve credit for getting this together for all that can attend. A great opportunity..

BrooklynQ
10-05-2006, 11:20 AM
We're bringing in Matt's Meadow Creek, a double Lang 84, and another Lang 84 for prople to use. So don't let bringing your smoker stop you from attending. One attendee is bringing his southern yankee rostiseree (sp?) as well. We'll have lots of pits.

Here's a link to the Google Map for the Water Taxi Beach (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2nd%20Street%20and%20Borden%20Ave%20%20%20L ong%20Island%20City,%20Queens,%20NY)

And here's the view...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/222610742_677906f767.jpg

Thanks to Jason Perlow at Off the Broiler (http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/)for the picture. This pic was taken at a party Matt and I attended for Josh Ozersky (http://www.slashfood.com/2006/09/05/get-to-know-our-very-own-josh-at-a-hamburger-today/) the new web editor of New York Magazine's online food blog Grub Street (http://nymag.com/daily/food/)

BrooklynQ
10-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Get your entry in! Time's a wastin.

drumfreak
10-06-2006, 05:53 PM
The check is in the mail. Let's go boys!! We need 24 more.

BBQchef33
10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
make it 23.. im going..

geezz guys.. me and drumfreak gonna be cookin alone on all that Iron??

With the size of our NY contingent we only got 2?

WAZZZZZZZZZUPPPPPPPPPP??

MS, bring the wife, tell her its a birthday present. :)

Sledneck
10-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Im in

BrooklynQ
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
OK guys as of tonight we're close to half full. So far, we've only got 4 Brethren on board

(Assuming everyone who said they'e coming sends a check - I can't believe the response so far over the weekend. It was keeping me awake during the week wondering if we'd be able to do this!)

The real media push will begin on Monday, so if you're thinking about attending now's the time to get off the fence.

drumfreak
10-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Who's the 4th brother? So far it looks like Poobah, Sledneck and myself.

BrooklynQ
10-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Nancee of Purple Turtle and the 5th is Sawdustguy's wife Michelle.

nancee
10-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, since it looks like I am in, do you need any cookers? I can bring a whole trailerload if you need me to
nancee

Nancee of Purple Turtle and the 5th is Sawdustguy's wife Michelle.

BrooklynQ
10-08-2006, 05:28 PM
A whole trailer load? Not that many.

What did you cook on at Belmont? I'd like to play with that cooker.

nancee
10-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I can certainly bring that. Backwoods Competitor.

A whole trailer load? Not that many.

What did you cook on at Belmont? I'd like to play with that cooker.

backyardchef
10-08-2006, 08:10 PM
All those people that don't come are going to miss out on the surprise....too bad for them.

I can't wait to check out that Backwoods....

Sawdustguy
10-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Mrs. Sawdust is in.

SmokeInDaEye
10-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Man Rob. I really wish I could pull it off. Sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime class.

Unfortunately having spent quite a bit of cash getting competition gear together this year, I've now got this "line" in front of me and a wife just waiting for me to cross it...You get the picture, I'm sure!

I'd be happy to come lend a helping hand with setup or whatever if you find you need it.

backyardchef
10-09-2006, 02:10 PM
I've now got this "line" in front of me and a wife just waiting for me to cross it...

If you don't cross the line, how do you know where it is? :razz:

backyardchef
10-10-2006, 12:26 PM
As of today, checks are coming in the mail. Should be a great group. Anybody who's still thinking it over should come on in....it's shaping up to be a super day....

BrooklynQ
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Guys - if you are interested in attending, I need you check NOW. You don't want to get shut out.

In the mail today I got checks for 4 people who had not contacted me or Matt before sending in their checks. We had no idea that they were even interested or even existed.

Spots are issued on a first come/first in basis. Get me your check!

Wine & Swine
10-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Rob, how are we on smokers. As you now I am coming and bringing my Dad as well. We are not planning on bringing smokers. I am hoping to get to work on some of the bigger rigs, as that is what we are planning on moving up to in the Spring, hopefully. I know Nancee had offered to bring some cookers, if necessary. Also if I need to bring charcoal/wood. Thank you again. Can not wait.

backyardchef
10-19-2006, 11:54 AM
It would be great if you can bring some charcoal and wood. We should be ok with cooker space. I'm bringing my trailer and maybe another kettle, Rob is bringing something, and I think we'll have a twin Lang 84 as well as Nancy's Backwoods. Drop me a line through here if you need anything else. Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday.......

BrooklynQ
10-19-2006, 03:21 PM
A request to our brothers.
A call to help a couple of brothers in need.

To those of you coming to the Paul Kirk Class on Saturday.

Please.

We beg you.

Bring lots of beer.

Please.

Wine & Swine
10-19-2006, 03:26 PM
How much is lots? Since I am borrowing everyones smokers, I will bring a couple cases, any brand in particular, bottles ok or does it need to be cans.

BrooklynQ
10-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Cans would be better - and paper cups. Paul Kirk will kick out drunks. I've been warned.

Arlin_MacRae
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
HEHE No doubt, Rob!

I met a guy from Brooklyn last night. Not a bad feller. Talked funny though... :biggrin:

Wine & Swine
10-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Rob, I was going to go Restaurant Depot tomorrow to pick a few bags of Royal Oak, I will pick up some cups as well. Anything else?

RichardF
10-19-2006, 03:44 PM
What's the current head-count? Are you getting a big turn-out? Sounds like it will be a blast.

BrooklynQ
10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Wine & Swine - cups should do it. Since you like wine, bring that too. And don't forget a corkscrew.

Richard - today's head count is just over 30.

backyardchef
10-19-2006, 03:54 PM
LOTS of Beer.......Please......:icon_blush::icon_clown

To be enjoyed responsibly, of course....:wink:

RichardF
10-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Wine & Swine - cups should do it. Since you like wine, bring that too. And don't forget a corkscrew.

Richard - today's head count is just over 30.
That's great - Glad to hear it's going to be such a big turnout.

bbqbull
10-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I helped a few years ago with some logistics in setting up 2 classes with Paul Kirk. One heck of a guy and your right. He dont put up with no bullchit. Everyone who attends his class will learn lots. I suggest each and every one of you attending take a big notepad and some pens. You will be overdosed with awesome information. Good luck to you students and you will have a great time.

Mike

backyardchef
10-20-2006, 12:03 PM
:!: Hey all--

We can use a few more judges for the class. Anyone interested? It should be a nice day tomorrow, and this is a great chance to spend some time with the Baron. Please let me or Rob (brooklynq) know if you're interested.

We expect judging to be around 4pm or so.

Bring beer.

SmokeInDaEye
10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
I already bought the beer. See you then.

edit: I just drank the beer. Going to buy some more.

Sledneck
10-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Cans would be better - and paper cups. Paul Kirk will kick out drunks. I've been warned.

THANKS FOR THE WARNING A DAY BEFORE!!!! THATS IT I WANT A REFUND!

RichardF
10-21-2006, 11:08 PM
It's been at least a couple of hours since the class ended - I'm dissapointed, no pictures yet.

BrooklynQ
10-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Pictures tomorrow. I've never been so tired in my life. Great time.Great class. Great hanging with my brothers and sisters.

SmokeInDaEye
10-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Congrats to Rob and to Matt for pulling off an amazing day! So many great people, some much great food. Thanks guys for pulling it off despite all of the headaches!

SmokeInDaEye
10-22-2006, 12:18 AM
WOW! In addition to meeting some amazing people today (Rob, Matt, Nancee, Sledneck, Michelle, etc. etc.) and picking up some great cooking tips, I also discovered I'm a full fledged farker! Sorry for this waste of a post but I only get to become a full fledged farker once....

BBQchef33
10-22-2006, 12:58 AM
It's been at least a couple of hours since the class ended - I'm dissapointed, no pictures yet.

Heres one. We were showing off how nice the color of our rubs were on our fingertips. But the camera didnt pick it up. It really looks like we were flipping off the photographer doesnt it. ??

:mrgreen: :eusa_clap :mrgreen:

Bottom one is Backyardchef and large marge.

Had loads of fun... got throughtly abused by Paul Kirk. Great to meet bbq mafia, and a few others i havent met yet.

Sledneck
10-22-2006, 05:45 AM
Information overload!!!! Great class. Thank you to Rob and Matt for putting it together. Had a great time and and learned some great stuff. Now let me go off and read my books.

Kevin
10-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Nice pic, but what are all of those tall things in the background? Silos? Grain elevators?

Just kidding. I've seen pictures of tall buildings before. Good show to Matt and Rob. What a fine group I'm so proud to be associated with.

backyardchef
10-22-2006, 07:46 AM
I learned that the Baron aint allergic to foil at all. Or is he? :twisted:

And was reminded what a great group of people bbq'ers are. It was awesome to meet and hang out w/ Clint (SmokeInDaEye), the Poobah, BBQMafia (Phil and his wife), Wine & Swine (John), Nancee, Smoker, Sledneck, SawdustGuy's Wife (Michelle), Nancee and everyone else-- I apologize if I'm forgetting anyone. Didn't get too much sleep.

Great day with lots of info. I think getting to pick the Baron's brain was the best part about the class itself. But seeing all the smokers w/ smoke rising against the skyline and just hanging with a bunch of bbq cookers on a clear fall Saturday morning is awesome. Unfortunately, it was a bad day for trailers. The twin lang supplied by RUB had a slight accident w/ the jack wheel and when I got home, Large Marge jacknifed a bit backing into the driveway and her hitch and jack are farked :mad: Oh well....nothing serious and no one's hurt.....

MilitantSquatter
10-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Those pics look great... Made me jealous (in a good way) that I could not attend but glad to hear everyone had a blast though and the other Brethren got something positive out of it..

I've have his Champ BBQ book but sure wouldn't mind anyone willing to let a few "tips" or "tricks" sneak out ? :wink:

Wine & Swine
10-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Thank you Rob & Matt for a great day. Paul was such a great guy and an incredible wealth of knowledge/experience. Thanks again BBQMafia for letting my Dadf and I use your Lang smoker (what a great machine too bad about our brisket, maybe it will make good beans). great to get to hang out with such a great group of people. I am trying to attach some photos, we'll see how that works.http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/jncantwell/Sunrise-1.jpg

Mrs. Sawdust
10-22-2006, 09:36 AM
WOW!!! What a great Day. I am exhausted. Rob and Matt....Thank You so much for organizing such a great event. The Baron was terrific and I learned so much. It was also great to spend the day with alot of super people. I don't know , you guys did a great job with Grilling on the Bay and yesterdays BBQ class, what's next for Matt and Rob?

Wine & Swine
10-22-2006, 09:40 AM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o186/jncantwell/PhilPaul.jpg

RichardF
10-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I learned that the Baron aint allergic to foil at all. Or is he? :twisted:
Yeah. Right. I'm sure at the mention of the 321 method for ribs he exclaimed with glee that he thought that was the best way to cook. More than likely he said something about why not just boil them...

BrooklynQ
10-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Actually he said something about steaming them. But it was in a joking manner and followed up with a question about why you spend time developing a bark only to turn it mushy.

Contrary to what I've heard, he didn't blow up in rage or even threatedn to throw people out of the class. Just the recommendations an experienced chef explaining why he cooks with one method and you're free to use what ever method is suitble for you. Not that he'd do it, mind you.

Smoker
10-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Matt,

I would have to say that both trailer incidents are just 2 more failures of the Bush administration.

SmokeInDaEye
10-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Here's some more pic. Doesn't someone have a Brethren pic? If not, I now know who to blame...

MilitantSquatter
10-22-2006, 12:10 PM
So... No one is gonna share anything ????

Bunch of farkers !!!!! Guess I'll just need to put the Paul Kirk videos on my Christmas wish list. :mrgreen:

SmokeInDaEye
10-22-2006, 12:29 PM

Bunch of farkers !!!!! Guess I'll just need to put the Paul Kirk videos on my Christmas wish list. :mrgreen:

Well, he did say my ribs were the best he's ever tasted. :wink: Seriously, I was just there helping out but plenty of people took notes on rub, brisket, chicken, sauce, shoulder, ribs, meatloaf, and presentation. So much to process.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Many thanks to Rob & Matt for such a great day.
I learned alot and was happy to finially meet so many of you guys and girls. I can't wait for another get together.

Again, from me and Mrs Mafia...Thanks!

backyardchef
10-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Matt,

I would have to say that both trailer incidents are just 2 more failures of the Bush administration.

Damn that vast right wing consipracy...:evil:

BrooklynQ
10-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Phil - Can you create a Photo Album I can dump the pics into? I have a bunch and the Brethren group pics that we took.

Sledneck
10-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Many thanks to Rob & Matt for such a great day.
I learned alot and was happy to finially meet so many of you guys and girls. I can't wait for another get together.

Again, from me and Mrs Mafia...Thanks!

You were at the class?

Sledneck
10-22-2006, 05:12 PM

Like the lotto, gotta be in it to win it!

Mrs. Mafia
10-22-2006, 11:03 PM
And was reminded what a great group of people bbq'ers are.

I agree...what a great group of people!

Unfortunately, it was a bad day for trailers. The twin lang supplied by RUB had a slight accident w/ the jack wheel and when I got home, Large Marge jacknifed a bit backing into the driveway and her hitch and jack are farked :mad: Oh well....nothing serious and no one's hurt.....

That stinks....we thankfully made it back through the tunnels without getting stopped or hit!

Nice meeting you all!
Christine

GIRLYQUE
10-25-2006, 09:28 PM
I am so bummed. I have not logged on in a bit and missed the class. How was it? What a treat. I'll have to read further and catch up!

BBQ_MAFIA
10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
You were at the class?

Yup we were there, (the wife and I).

Hopefully we get to have a few beers and talk at the next get together.

SmokeInDaEye
10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
BQ, were you ever able to get an album set up? I'd love to see the group pix and have several other shots I can add.

backyardchef
10-26-2006, 12:20 PM
BQ, were you ever able to get an album set up? I'd love to see the group pix and have several other shots I can add.

Nah, he's too busy flying around on reindeers and flipping people off :razz:

SmokeInDaEye
10-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Nah, he's too busy flying around on reindeers and flipping people off :razz:

OK. Coke through the nose AGAIN!:lol:

Bad enough Santa Q's flippin kids off, but to do it 2 months before Christmas?!! He used to wait until at least Thanksgiving.

Smoker
10-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I do it all year round!!!!!!!!!