PDA

View Full Version : Is Mid October to late for a NY contest?

Smoker
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Do you guys think mid October is too late for a contest in NY?

BrooklynQ
10-16-2006, 10:38 AM
No.

But, this year it is.

Smoker
10-16-2006, 10:51 AM
You mean u cant make it this Sunday Rob?

backyardchef
10-16-2006, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's too late.....This is my favorite time of year for cooking outside....

ique
10-16-2006, 11:10 AM

I don't. Are you talking city-area or upstate? The storm in buffalo would of been interesting contest conditions.

Chris

timzcardz
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
If by NY you mean the NYC Metro area, the weather could be fine.

Buffalo and 2 feet of snow would put a damper on things though.

[edit] Great minds apparently think alike, and at the same time!

BrooklynQ
10-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Wish I could Steve. Have too many family commitments Sunday.

RichardF
10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
I don't. Are you talking city-area or upstate? The storm in buffalo would of been interesting contest conditions.

Chris
If you pack enough snow around your cooking chamber, it actually acts as an insulator :-)

Jeff_in_KC
10-16-2006, 11:47 AM
That's funny! I was just watching the news last night and they were covering the Buffalo blizzard and I thought it would have been a feat in survival to have had to cook a contest THERE this weekend!

Smoker
10-16-2006, 01:43 PM
If you pack enough snow around your cooking chamber, it actually acts as an insulator :-)

Igloo Mod!!!!

More along the lines of NY Metro area.

smknwhlswife
10-16-2006, 02:00 PM
You know one thing I have learned about BBQers. That it is never "to late" to have a contest..... Andy(HoDeDo) and Wayne(MoKanMeatheads) did a contest in the middle of Febuary in Kansas. The high was 4 degrees!!!!:eek: It was called the Polar Swine.

I my opinion they were nuts!!!! You will never see me outdoors cooking when it is that cold.

Smoker
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
If it's 4 degrees out and I need BBQ, I call Willie B's and tell him to send over one of the girls with some food.

I guess October might be a little chilly at night but hey, thats what we got the cookers for.

Muzzlebrake
10-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Oct in NY? Too late nah its never too late. Hell I do some of my best cooking in the parking lot of Giants Stadium in January.
I would rather have a chill in the air as I stand next to a fire than have it 80 and humid.
What you do have to watch out for is those damn dry leaves, witches and ghosts in October.

lunchlady
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
That's funny! I was just watching the news last night and they were covering the Buffalo blizzard and I thought it would have been a feat in survival to have had to cook a contest THERE this weekend!

I was actually thinking about that just before we left for Oinktoberfest (Clarence, NY is SO close to Buffalo) the first wknd of October. They had said that there had been sleet there before, so we were prepared for it, but, thankfully, it waited until now.

I don't believe it is ever too late too BBQ. We do it all year long too, just shovel a path to the Backwoods... or whatever. The Snowshoe in MA had a high of about 37 degress this past March. We just had to remind our judges that the food doesn't HAVE to be hot... :wink:

lunchlady

BrooklynQ
10-17-2006, 02:56 PM
The Snowshoe in MA had a high of about 37 degress this past March. We just had to remind our judges that the food doesn't HAVE to be hot...

I had food that was hotter there in the middle of March then at contests in the middle of July. Go figure.

What's the date of the Snowshoe this year Michelle?

lunchlady
10-17-2006, 07:10 PM
the VFW has yet to confirm.... we are looking at March 11th or the 24th. I decided not to go with St. Patty's Day. Too painful with the price of Jameson's at the VFW.
Not that I'm ascared or anything....underneath all this Taft, I am O'BRIEN through and through....heheh

as soon as I know , you'll know

lunchlady

nancee
10-17-2006, 11:44 PM
not at all; I have often thought it a shame that our season comes to a screeching halt just when the weather gets nice...
Mid October though you will lose some of the big teams as they will be at the royal or jack or both
I personally would love to see a metro NY contest sometime in that vicinity
nancee

Nitrofly
10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Nancee

you should organize a mid october contest
in NY NY for next year. New York City BBQ Fall Classic.
I love fall just hate that it means winter is heading down the
highway next. I hate winter..

Sully