PDA

View Full Version : Not getting enough flavor in brisket

Flavor Dave
10-09-2006, 02:23 PM
What is the secret for cooking an award winning or even placing with brisket. I have won or placed in all other catagories except brisket. I just can't seem to get the flavor into it. A little help please!!

YankeeBBQ
10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Fab B

chad
10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Beef broth and magic dust in an injection!

Seriously, we use beef broth, Fab B, and some fruit juice along with a touch of salt and sugar to blend up an injection.

thunderbelly
10-09-2006, 03:26 PM
What the heck is Fab B

Jorge
10-09-2006, 03:29 PM
What the heck is Fab B

http://theingredientstore.com/generalstore/product_details/888.htm

2nd hand
10-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know

bbqjoe
10-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I just don't get the whole injecting thing.
Why not jab it full of lobster juice and try to make it taste like lobster.
That should make some of them judges happy as hell!

Sorry...............

YankeeBBQ
10-09-2006, 07:46 PM

Sorry...............

Well it's like this Joe. It's competition bbq. A judge isn't going to eat a plate full of our brisket. They're only going to take a bite or two. We have to wow them with that. We have to stand above any brisket they have ever tatsted and we need to do it with that one bite. It's the nature of the game.

Steve

backyardchef
10-09-2006, 08:00 PM

"that lobster was delicious, but the texture was funny."

HoDeDo
10-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Joe, I can just imagine getting a nice 20 in Beef. The judges looking at it, then tasting ".... DQ!!!!! Lobster, just cuz you put a bark on it, you can't call it brisket...."

CTSmokehouse
10-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I guess the question to inject or not to inject? comes down to it is better to inject. I tried it once but still thought our regular brisket was better. We used CAB Prime Gold Brisket at Hudson Valley and placed lower than expected ( I still think that ours was moist and tasted pretty darn good). I judged twice this summer and could tell those entries that were injected. They were noticable but the moisture content was higher. I guess that is the point. Still learning.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

P.S. Ted Lorsen of QHaven is going to the Jack Daniels Invitational. We are proud of our CT Brethren! Way to go!!

BBQchef33
10-09-2006, 11:10 PM
i always did better without injecting.. A HIGH(overwhelming) strong flavored marinade always worked better for me.

flavor dave.. What are you doing?? just rubbing, any marinading, what type of rub(low or high sugar)? Are you doing anything to add a flavor burst at the end... like dumping honey, or sugar or extra rub on it at the end of the cook? There are many techniques to infuse additional flavors, or stronger flavors..

Tell us what you do, so we can tell what possibly can be changed or improved on.

billm
10-10-2006, 07:33 AM
What is the secret for cooking an award winning or even placing with brisket. I have won or placed in all other catagories except brisket. I just can't seem to get the flavor into it. A little help please!!
gotta agree with yankeebbq..Fab B...
no matter how good we thought our brisket was..we did not get much calls until we started using Fab B ...the judges seem to like it

ique
10-10-2006, 08:34 AM

Do you rest your cooked brisket for a couple of hours wrapped in foil? Try about a cup of flavorful marinade like Head Country during that step. As the brisket juices redistribute, the marinade will penetrate and boost flavor.

Chris

Flavor Dave
10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
BBQchef, I rub it down with a dry rub, cook it for around 5 hrs @250/275, add more rub and cover it (foil), cook another 5 hrs and it's done. Cut off a piece with the same result. TASTE LIKE UNFLAVORED MEAT!!!

Jeff_in_KC
10-10-2006, 09:23 AM
I was told at the Royal by a pretty successful cook that the "silver skin" on the top surface of the meat needs to all be removed so that the flavor can get into the muscle. Seems to make sense unless the silver skin stuff cooks off. I plan to mess around with that a bit because I've had some really good tasting roast beef at comps lately. :roll:

Bubba
10-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Jeff that is why we trim ours if you don't want to trim it off just score it real good does the same thing but not as good

BBQchef33
10-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I ijected a few times this summer, but like my old way better. i use a jaccard on the top and bottom of the brisket, then marinade in a strong marinade for a few hours at least. I also add the rub that im using to the marinade. once marinading is done, i add a vERY HEAVY dose of the rub and turbinado sugar and cook around 250.

Towards the end, ususlly when its in that 'stuck zone', I add more rub, turbinado sugar, Drizzle with Honey(or some sauce,... my latest was apple butter which worked awesome, but pissed off my kids cause i used it all up) and a healthy spray of apple juice. foil it and finish in the pit, then remove it and let rest of a few hours in a dry cooler.

I never had a tasteless brisket doing it that way..

and i just made myselff hungry typing that.

Sledneck
10-10-2006, 04:02 PM

Sorry...............

Amen. I think it should be banned from competition. WOW me by being a purist and cook it without the help of chemicals.

The_Kapn
10-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Amen. I think it should be banned from competition. WOW me by being a purist and cook it without the help of chemicals.

Interesting concept.
Maybe we should ban all spices, rubs, marinates, brines, flavor woods, and meat graded higher than Select.
One wood for the fire and plain meat.
May the best team win.

Purist?

TIM

Jeff_in_KC
10-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah I don't get it either, Tim. Since when is FAB B any more of a "chemical" than salt?

Sledneck
10-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Interesting concept.
Maybe we should ban all spices, rubs, marinates, brines, flavor woods, and meat graded higher than Select.
One wood for the fire and plain meat.
May the best team win.

Purist?

TIM

I did not say to go that far, im talking about staying with natural ingredients. maybe i can wow the judges and put cocaine in my rub

Jeff_in_KC
10-10-2006, 04:18 PM
MSG is natural, isn't it?

Sledneck
10-10-2006, 04:19 PM
So is cocaine

MoKanMeathead
10-10-2006, 05:12 PM
I agree with Chris (IQue) - marinate when you rest your brisket or marinade when you wrap it and finish cooking. Really gets the flavor of the marinade into the meat.

We have always scored worse with Fab B but it was probably just the table we landed on.

Flavor Dave
10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
That was to funny and you just do what ever you need to do (in the rules) to get your number called....

Nitrofly
10-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Or you could ask your butcher for more beefer tasting
brisket.. That's what lunchmeat did.

Sully

cmcadams
10-11-2006, 10:52 AM
We inject, but not with Fab B. We tried the light version, and preferred our other injection, which is coffee and pineapple juice based. We are doing ok with it, and I think the flavor is really good. The Fab B was just too much to me.

billm
10-11-2006, 11:01 AM
We inject, but not with Fab B. We tried the light version, and preferred our other injection, which is coffee and pineapple juice based. We are doing ok with it, and I think the flavor is really good. The Fab B was just too much to me.
I personally dont like the flavor of it either but the judges seem to like it so we use it...

cmcadams
10-11-2006, 12:07 PM
I think I need to play around more with the Fab B to get used to it. It's just tough to have 2 briskets side by side and clearly prefer one over the other, but turn in the one I don't like as well.

billm
10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
I think I need to play around more with the Fab B to get used to it. It's just tough to have 2 briskets side by side and clearly prefer one over the other, but turn in the one I don't like as well.
I know what you mean..
but on the other hand I never cook bbq at home the way I do at a comp

cmcadams
10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Bill, I agree... But when I have 2 things side by side, I think there's a difference between saying I do this for comp and that for home vs. saying I think this one is not as good. One is different by equal, the other is different and not equal.

I don't add as much sweet to my ribs at home, but I still think my ribs are pretty good for comps. I just happen to think Fab B vs. my other injection isn't as good. I think what I'll try next weekend is one brisket with about 1/4 the Fab B Lite I would expect to use and see how that goes.

chad
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Bill, I agree... But when I have 2 things side by side, I think there's a difference between saying I do this for comp and that for home vs. saying I think this one is not as good. One is different by equal, the other is different and not equal.

I don't add as much sweet to my ribs at home, but I still think my ribs are pretty good for comps. I just happen to think Fab B vs. my other injection isn't as good. I think what I'll try next weekend is one brisket with about 1/4 the Fab B Lite I would expect to use and see how that goes.

Since it's not obvious from the above discussions...we use Fab-B and P mixed into our normal injection...we do not use FAB by itself.

BBQchef33
10-11-2006, 03:02 PM
fyi.. just some other threads on the Injecting discussions.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13010&highlight=FAB+beef

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=175717&highlight=FAB+beef#post175717

spicewine
10-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Salt, pepper ,rub and sauce is all we use and have had good success

billm
10-11-2006, 04:09 PM

understood..heck we have taken a first in brisket just with rub ..i should have said we get more consistent scores with fab b
plenty of teams winning without it..

ique
10-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Or you could ask your butcher for more beefer tasting
brisket.. That's what lunchmeat did.

Sully

Sully is giving out Lunchmeat secrets! (gets out notebook)

How about a chicken tip? :icon_wink

Jeff_in_KC
10-11-2006, 09:22 PM

Chicken tipping? Doesn't seem to have the impact of cow tipping but...

Nitrofly
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey Chris

I wish we knew what you guys know..
we are humbled next to Ique, you guys kick our
ass' on a regular basis. Maybe you will share some of
Ique secrets?? Congrates on your showing at the Royal.
Ique kicks butt...Again.. Good luck at the Jack. show them
southerners New Englanders can cook some kick ass BBQ..

Sully

P.S. secret mayo is better then miracle whip on brisket...
shhh don't tell anyone..

Wicked_Too
10-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Good to see some New Englanders out here...