BrooklynQ
10-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Hot of the Wire...

1. Lotta Bull GC
2. Smokin Clones RGC
3. Boys From Tornado Alley
4. IQ

IQ 7th Ribs
I Smell Smoke!!! 12th Chicken,13th Ribs, 14th Pork...Bombed Brisket...19th Overall

backyardchef
10-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Great job Chris and Steve!

I guess you're not having that much trouble w/ the chicken, Steve...:cool:

bbqman1
10-06-2006, 07:40 PM
I just talked to Jimmy (smoking cracker). I geuss Jay and the boys from team Q, who cooked for me at the invitational as The Woodhouse grill got some bad tables. I think he said they came in at 79th. Better luck next year guy's, I bet you still had more fun than me.Anyway Jimmy (Smoking cracker) and jim (big daddy Q) will be cooking the open for me as the Woodhouse grill so look for that team name in the final results. Good luck guy's

Mike
The Woodhouse grill

The_Kapn
10-06-2006, 08:26 PM
GC--Lotta Bull.

Now, why does that not surprise me?
They have been on a tear this year!
Totally awesome.

I am so envious......... :redface:
Maybe someday. :redface:

TIM

MilitantSquatter
10-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Way to go Chris & Steve.... Fill us in when you get back and are functioning again...

tony76248
10-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Congrats for competing and sharing your success here.

Jeff_in_KC
10-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Looking forward to the Open results. Should hear from the guys later tonight. I left after turn-ins. Awards weren't for 4 hours plus (6:30 pm central)! The Meatheads felt good about some of their stuff as did Kevin (VooDooBBQ) and Bubba and Jeff who were cooking with Snail Slow Smokin made the best chicken I've EVER eaten! Juicy white meat... go figure! Didn't have a chance to meet some of the guys I haven't met before and just a few minutes with some teams.

spicewine
10-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Well!!! We cooked our arses off this weekend!! We were so focused on the game ( very little to drink ) that it was the first time that Wayne and my self were standing side by side SOBER!!! We freaked each other out!! In bed by 9:30 :shock: :shock: Cracker and Jim got in about 11:30 and I stayed up with them untill 2:00 am. Ribs got done 2 hours too early , Brisket was the best that we have ever turned in, pork was about our usual ect. ect. ect. Long story short, we got our arses handed to us!! But we brought our A Game!!

Congrats Brother Wayne on the 10th best Pork " In the WORLD!! "

We love ya man!! Team Q AKA Woodhouse Grill

Spice

Solidkick
10-08-2006, 09:13 AM
It was a great day to be at the Royal. I appologize for not getting around to all the team's sites that are Brethren posters here on the board, but it get's a little difficult to find the teams when you AND your wife have a little too much to drink because of the hospitality of the brothers that you do visit...as a result I think we only made it by half the teams sites....

As far as the scoring....what warrants a 4 in presentation? That's totally unheard of in a scoring system that states to start at a 6 for average and judge up or down accordingly. I think some teams fell victim to some judges that were out to ruin some people's day...and they did a fine job of it...I've cooked with and around some of these teams enough to know that on a bad day their presentation might be a 6 or a 7, but not a 4.

Congrats to all that walked, thanks for the beers and eats, and let it be known that the Bellys hope to get to the AR someday and payback the hospitality.

I'll see some of you this weekend!

Kung Fu BBQ
10-08-2006, 09:43 AM
The AR experience was a blast. i think our team spent a bit too much time having fun when we should of been stickin to the cooking guns.

We didn't fare so well over all. We beat a bunch of teams we knew, so there are some small personal vicories and we beat a local rib joint that I was convinced i could cook better than. So again small victories.

Next year we're breakin the top 100!!!

spicewine
10-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Spicewine Ironworks finish in the Sauce Competition

142 Teams

Sweet Heat 12th

Blue Collar 21st

Gourmet Glaze 59th

Needless to say I am thrilled!!!!!!!

Spice

nancee
10-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Congrats to Steve for 4th in the open!!! Fantastic showing!!! Chris did good too but couldn't top his finish Friday!
Great job my friends...kick butt at Jack too...
nancee

spicewine
10-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Congrats to Jimmy ( Smokin Cracker ) and Jim for the 60th place finish at the Open. It was so great to be a part of your team!!

Spice

Roo-B-Q'N
10-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Solidkick, Char and I judged the open and for me the 4 I gave in presentation was a box full of bones. And I mean that literally! The box as presented had some greens and then a pile of "ribs" that were showing 2/3's bone all dried out and what was, I guess, meat burnt to a crisp. They were thrown into the box as if they had just been eaten and tossed into a pile.
If you get a chance, look over all of the scores and see how many DQ's there were for things like pickles, jalepeno's and foil in the turn in boxes.
All of this of course was caught by tables that had table captains and judges with experience.
Cooks need to demand more CBJ's in the tent especially at the Invitational, there they should ALL be CBJ! The open I can see being more tough to get upwards of 500 CBJ's, but when you have 81 tables and each table has three CBJ's (some trained thrusday night) and three non CBJ's you cant expect consistent (or correct) judging. Training for novices was left up to the tables CBJ's...which means bad begets bad in overall expectations... Tough for a cook to figure out who to cook for, those thinking tender means fall apart or off the bone or tender meaning a nice pull to the brisket or give to the bone.
Sorry about the rant, but teams were turning in some odd things and judges need to be "seasoned" and certified...

Kung Fu BBQ
10-08-2006, 05:13 PM
I was wandering through the hall right before dessert. I heard the announcement "everyone please remain seated we have one more catagory. If you cant do another please raise your hand". A guy came wanering out from behind the curtained wall, wiping sweat away and looking none too well.

So my impression was the judges had had it by the time dessert rolled around.

SloppyQ
10-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the hospitality Friday night guys and congrats to all!
Jay, John,Jimmy great to meet you. Wayne the rita machine was work'n great. Bob was MIA when I was around did he find his way home?
See Ya in Columbia (Hopefully).

SloppyQ

big daddy Q
10-08-2006, 09:32 PM
WOW what an experience, I need to say thanks to Mike, it never would have happened with out your invite. Jay Brian John Steve TEAM Q THANK YOU SO MUCH !! The red hot-rod spicewine was great to cook on I hope to Q with you again, folks as fine as you guys are few and far between !! It was great also meetin all the brethren brothers....all great people I am proud to be part of A site thats members are what good red blooded AMERICANS are supposed to be ! Jimmy and I were happy on the 60th but on the way home all I could think about was makin sure I go again next year there is nothin like the AMERICAN ROYAL !!! Jay the beer was great !!!

Solidkick
10-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Solidkick, Char and I judged the open and for me the 4 I gave in presentation was a box full of bones. And I mean that literally! The box as presented had some greens and then a pile of "ribs" that were showing 2/3's bone all dried out and what was, I guess, meat burnt to a crisp. They were thrown into the box as if they had just been eaten and tossed into a pile.
If you get a chance, look over all of the scores and see how many DQ's there were for things like pickles, jalepeno's and foil in the turn in boxes.
All of this of course was caught by tables that had table captains and judges with experience.
Cooks need to demand more CBJ's in the tent especially at the Invitational, there they should ALL be CBJ! The open I can see being more tough to get upwards of 500 CBJ's, but when you have 81 tables and each table has three CBJ's (some trained thrusday night) and three non CBJ's you cant expect consistent (or correct) judging. Training for novices was left up to the tables CBJ's...which means bad begets bad in overall expectations... Tough for a cook to figure out who to cook for, those thinking tender means fall apart or off the bone or tender meaning a nice pull to the brisket or give to the bone.
Sorry about the rant, but teams were turning in some odd things and judges need to be "seasoned" and certified...

I appreciate your comments on judging the open, and I would expect some of things you mentioned from some teams that jump into the AR as their first event.

My comments were directed against the judging on the invitiational, 86 teams that know what they are doing or they would not be there....I felt the scoring was unjust.

YankeeBBQ
10-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Great job Chris and Steve!

I guess you're not having that much trouble w/ the chicken, Steve...:cool:

Chicken was my best category all weekend. 12th in the invite and 8th in the open. If you guys have a bad category I suggest going on the internet and begging for advice. It seems to work :icon_bigsmil

Roo-B-Q'N
10-09-2006, 07:53 AM
I appreciate your comments on judging the open, and I would expect some of things you mentioned from some teams that jump into the AR as their first event.

My comments were directed against the judging on the invitiational, 86 teams that know what they are doing or they would not be there....I felt the scoring was unjust.

My understanding is that the Invitational was not much better when it came to CBJ's and non CBJ's. I hope I am wrong and somebody can correct me. I also hope judges were not out to be cruel and arses. I know how much money and time teams put into a comp and as a judge alwas want to err on the side of the cooks, no I may not like the taste of a turn in, but I do not judge down because of MY taste.
I can see that cooking is a blast, but more cookers need to become CBJ's and judge when not cooking.

smokincracker
10-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Wow! I’m Tired

I guess 60th out of around 500ish isn’t too bad.
Southern style meets mid-west judges?????
So what’s 60th I guess around the upper 15% So What am I bitchin about?
What a contest…..I have to say Jay, John, Brian & Steve are good MOFO’s and should make all MOFO’s proud. You guys went above and beyond in the hospitality department and I thank all of Team Q from the bottom of my Beam Bottle. I Know I have made some life time friends.
What anexperience (see you all next year) Thanks!!!

MoKanMeathead
10-09-2006, 12:02 PM
We were so focused on the game ( very little to drink ) that it was the first time that Wayne and my self were standing side by side SOBER!!! We freaked each other out!!

Spice

Thanks Jay! I made up for the "not drinking too much" on Friday night:twisted: :twisted: The pork went from 10th to 301st - course we tried a new recipe - why not is was just the Royal Open!

We always enjoy competing with Team Q!! Looking forward to this weekend.

MoKanMeathead
10-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Jimmy and Jim - it was great meeting you guys!! Had fun BSing with ya Thursday and Friday. Congrats on your finish!.

Jimmy - I still want to know where you got that chicken rub - that was awesome.

Nitrofly
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Great job guys and your whole teams..
Rest up for you run at the Jack.

Sully

BrooklynQ
10-09-2006, 12:27 PM
If you guys have a bad category I suggest going on the internet and begging for advice. It seems to work :icon_bigsmil

I suggest you come to NYC on Oct 21st and take Paul Kirk's Cooking Class (************************************/2006/10/bbq-class-paul-kirks-school-of-pit.html). :mrgreen:

smokincracker
10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Jimmy and Jim - it was great meeting you guys!! Had fun BSing with ya Thursday and Friday. Congrats on your finish!.

Jimmy - I still want to know where you got that chicken rub - that was awesome.

e-mail me
[email protected]

smokincracker
10-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Wow! I’m Tired

I guess 60th out of around 500ish isn’t too bad.
Southern style meets mid-west judges?????
So what’s 60th I guess around the upper 15% So What am I bitchin about?
What a contest…..I have to say Jay, John, Brian & Steve are good MOFO’s and should make all MOFO’s proud. You guys went above and beyond in the hospitality department and I thank all of Team Q from the bottom of my Beam Bottle. I Know I have made some life time friends.
What anexperience (see you all next year) Thanks!!!

OK The team was named:
BigCrackerQ With Wood

All above and this:
Notice the cold refreshing beverages next to the butts
O and Sweet T can come to FL and cook with me any time... Kick howed you say you landed her??? It was Good to meet you all.

(Jay getting ready for the Pull)

Lower
left to right top to bottom:
Big Jim (Big Daddy) Jimmy (Cracker) John (Team Q)
Steve & Jay Curry (Team Q)
Kick and Sweet T (Belly Bro's)
way right (Team Q) Brian

YankeeBBQ
10-09-2006, 02:29 PM
I suggest you come to NYC on Oct 21st and take Paul Kirk's Cooking Class (************************************/2006/10/bbq-class-paul-kirks-school-of-pit.html). :mrgreen:

I'd love to but I'm cooking a benefit for a young girl with Leukemia. I'm told they have sold 300 tickets so far.

Doorbusters
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Wayne, Spice, my hat is off to you both! I do not have the patience (Balls) to do the Royal! Wayne, your pork is ALWAYS good! But Spice! I know first hand how hard it is to get a decent sauce, let alone a GREAT sauce! Congrats Bro! Meet you in Columbia this weekend!

Rub
10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Congrats on the great finish Big Wooden Cracker! You did FLA good , and I'm SURE you guys had fun. Jimmy, while you're in such a giving mood, how about emailing me about that chicken rub too :biggrin: And while I'm moochin, hey Steve, I could use a little help with my chicken - got any tips to email me?! I'm begging here!

If you guys have a bad category I suggest going on the internet and begging for advice.

Is that the right way to do it Steve? BTW, that was an awesome weekend you had all in all - Congratulations.
[email protected]

HoDeDo
10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Congrats on the great finish Big Wooden Cracker! You did FLA good , and I'm SURE you guys had fun. Jimmy, while you're in such a giving mood, how about emailing me about that chicken rub too :biggrin: And while I'm moochin, hey Steve, I could use a little help with my chicken - got any tips to email me?! I'm begging here!

Is that the right way to do it Steve? BTW, that was an awesome weekend you had all in all - Congratulations.
[email protected]

It was great seeing everyone I was able to talk with... . I apologize I didnt get over past Wayne's camp much... That walk wayyyyy back to the far corner of the dark side had me bent, after standing in Expo area all day. For those of you guys I didnt meet / see --I look forward to it throughout the year.

That Chicken rub was great!! I ate about a tablespoon just sitting around there on Friday night. I want the low down too :)

billm
10-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Well!!! We cooked our arses off this weekend!! We were so focused on the game ( very little to drink ) that it was the first time that Wayne and my self were standing side by side SOBER!!! We freaked each other out!! In bed by 9:30 :shock: :shock: Cracker and Jim got in about 11:30 and I stayed up with them untill 2:00 am. Ribs got done 2 hours too early , Brisket was the best that we have ever turned in, pork was about our usual ect. ect. ect. Long story short, we got our arses handed to us!! But we brought our A Game!!

Spice
it was good meeting you Spice..
Bill
Chi-town Smokers

WannaBeBBQueen
10-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Congrats to everyone, once again the Brethren make an awesome showing :biggrin:

So what's this chicken rub all about? lol I need some new spice :-D

Pigs on The Run
10-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Pigs on the Run BBQ had a great time. i now what is the "dark side" is now . Thanks