PDA

View Full Version : Finding a First Competition

ApronGuy
10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering how to go about competing for the very first time ever. How do I find a competition? What should I do?

I need a starting point. (besides the Q)

thanks in advance

Jeff_in_KC
10-02-2006, 09:30 PM
www.kcbs.us (http://www.kcbs.us) Click on contest schedule and pick one out in your area. I'm sure the sanctioning body in Texas has a Web site too with more contests. I'm not familiar with it but I'm sure some of your fellow Texan Brothers will help out.

spicewine
10-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I would try to find one that has about 25 teams or less. Not that the competition would be any less , but you won't be overwhelmed or lost in a sea of doubt. Look at who is cooking that particular comp and know their skill level. If you are cooking with a group that the majority has a high skill level you might be discouraged with the results of your first cook. Then again if you cook with a group that has no track record you might get a false sense of how you can compete. Then again you may come into a contest of the best out there and whoop there arses and be a true Brethren. Long story short--- you don't know unless you try and please give it more than one contest before you judge yourself.

You will be like most of us that compete----First contest you are hooked!!

Good luck Brother!! You have allot of folks behind you here!!

Roll the dice!!

Spice

parrothead
10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Find someone that is cooking and ask if you can tag a long and help out. Great experience. Then go to the KCBS like Jeff said and find yourself one.

Jorge
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
If you choose a KCBS event you will have to drive out of state, unless one has popped up on the schedule that I don't know about.

Try ibcabbq.org . There are some good size competitions around Austin every year. Taylor comes to mind. Austin livestock show and rodeo isn't too bad.

You can also check lonestarbarbecue.com. They have quite a few events around the area as well.

brian j
10-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Find someone that is cooking and ask if you can tag a long and help out. Great experience. Then go to the KCBS like Jeff said and find yourself one.
excellent advise. i did that last year and andy stoddard of sweetgum hollow and dizzy pig fame let me tag along with him to rockingham, nc. the lessons i learned there are invaluable and i think they contributed to my successes in stevensville, md and new holland, pa.

slat
10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
I can't add a lot to this other than you need to give it at least a half dozen comps before making up your mind of continuing of quitting. I have only done two events so far and figure to do about 6 next year. My first comp was 45 teams and I finished 24 overall. The last comp I did was 42 teams and I finished 36 overall. I was a little disappointed, but not a lot because the first comp didn't have many good teams. This second comp had some really good teams. I did better in some meats the same in others and worse in others. All this did was give me a better understanding of where I need to go and that I have some improvements to make.

Arlin_MacRae
10-04-2006, 09:06 AM
ApronGuy, my wife and I went to our first competition this last weekend, just to look around. I don't know if you've been to them before, but I know we learned a LOT from just watching the teams and talking to them. I would think that if it's all new to you, too, you might hang around a couple of comps first, or maybe get involved with a team, then compete.

Being a non-competitor that may be naive advice, but it's all I gots. ;)

cmcadams
10-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the illustrious gentleman from Choctaw... Adam, find a comp and jump in! Or the other advice about joining a team for a comp works, too. I would think comps would be easy to find in Texas.

My theory is the more you get involved, the more you learn.

Arlin_MacRae
10-04-2006, 09:41 AM
LOL The cautious approach vs the just-do-it approach! :)

TedWagner
10-15-2006, 10:50 PM
If you're ready for the "Just do it" approach, you could try the ibca event in Flatonia at the end of the month. It's a smallish competition, only costs $50 and is only about an hour from Austin. I'm going to give it a try this year as my first competition.

smknwhlswife
10-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Early this year I was trying to find a BBQ contest near Austin because my cousin wanted us to come down and visit. I found this one not to far away from you. It is in Round Rock. www.texasbbqcookoff.com (http://www.texasbbqcookoff.com)

You will have to make up your mind pretty fast though, the cookoff is Nov 17 & 18th. It looks like they only allow up to 70 teams.