PDA

View Full Version : Quoting brisket

sunrise
02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
I am working on a wedding quote, meeting with the couple on Tuesday (2/17), after reading HBMTN's post about brisket prices and all the responses, it has got me to thinking about trying to change the peoples mind. They want 2 meats, 1 brisket and 1 chicken, 2 sides, green salad. We are quoting 250 guests, mostly adults. What should I figure as to serving size? And how many packer size briskets should I figure? Its been a long time since anyone requested brisket for a wedding. Out here it is mostly Tri Tip. I totally forgot to take into consideration a 50% yield on brisket and also the unusable parts, thinking mostly the point and all the fatty parts, dont know how many burnt ends we could serve. Any ideas or suggestions?

HBMTN
02-15-2015, 12:27 PM
If it's a wedding and not a sandwich buffet I price and figure it on 8oz pp for brisket. Taking that into account you are looking at 1lb roughly of raw brisket per person. Roughly 19-20 whole 13lb packers. If it's sandwiches I figure 5.5oz per person. Roughly 14-15 whole 13lb packers.

landarc
02-15-2015, 02:05 PM
I agree with HBMTN, and to me, that is a large cook, especially once you roll in the chicken factor. I would serve the point sliced, just like the flat. Not doing Burnt Ends unless they are specifically requested.

Bigmista
02-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Don't bother with Burnt Ends. And that is way to much brisket with two meats. Most people won't eat that much at a wedding. Figure on 1/4lb. per person. Less if there are kids in that number. Split the point and flat and slice both. Cut the flat in half and serve 3 half slices per person from a carving station if they ask for it. Tell them they are more than welcome to come back for more. (Most won't.) I doubt if you go thru more than 7 or 8 briskets.

On the other hand, if the folks have boatloads of money and they tell you they want more in spite of your advice, do what they ask and leave them with all the leftovers.

HBMTN
02-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Don't bother with Burnt Ends. And that is way to much brisket with two meats. Most people won't eat that much at a wedding. Figure on 1/4lb. per person. Less if there are kids in that number. Split the point and flat and slice both. Cut the flat in half and serve 3 half slices per person from a carving station if they ask for it. Tell them they are more than welcome to come back for more. (Most won't.) I doubt if you go thru more than 7 or 8 briskets.

On the other hand, if the folks have boatloads of money and they tell you they want more in spite of your advice, do what they ask and leave them with all the leftovers.

Bigmista are you referring to 4oz for sandwiches are plate barbecue? I can see reducing the numbers if you have a carving station with control maybe. I guess a lot depends on how you serve it. If you allow guests to serve themselves (we do) then if it's not a sandwich buffet 4oz would not be near enough. I guess a carving station may make that much of a difference. If you feel your numbers are accurate based on no sandwiches I need to consider changing brisket to a carving station option only for weddings.

Bigmista
02-16-2015, 09:47 PM
They are accurate. I do the carving myself. Usually the only thing that is self-serve is the sides with us. We control the meat. Folks can have as much as they want. They just have to go back through the line. Most of the time folks will take what you offer them. If you have long brisket slices, they will take two or three. If you have half slices, they will take two or three. Same goes with other meats. If you have Leg quarters, they will take a whole one. If you have drummies and thighs, they will usually take one or the other, especially if there are other meats on the table.

cpw
02-17-2015, 06:48 AM
They are accurate. I do the carving myself. Usually the only thing that is self-serve is the sides with us. We control the meat. Folks can have as much as they want. They just have to go back through the line. Most of the time folks will take what you offer them. If you have long brisket slices, they will take two or three. If you have half slices, they will take two or three. Same goes with other meats. If you have Leg quarters, they will take a whole one. If you have drummies and thighs, they will usually take one or the other, especially if there are other meats on the table.

^^Good advice here. Never thought of doing a half slice instead of a full one.

TailGateJoecom
02-17-2015, 09:20 AM

This is spot on.

HBMTN
02-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Thanks Bigmista I'm going to have to look in to doing a carving station, we've never done one this way but I can see saving a lot of money even paying out labor for a staff to man the carving station. You are correct on the chicken for sure, when we first started catering we were using quarters and went away from them for the same reasons.

early mornin' smokin'
02-19-2015, 04:51 PM
bigmista NAILED IT! You need to guide people. leg 1/4's are great, but cut them in half and they'll go twice as far. Pretty much goes with any food.

PaulstheRibList
03-01-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm not a caterer (just a wanna be!), but when I eat BBQ, the carving station is part of the fun! It's a bummer for me if the carving station guy is boring. So, you get to kill 2 birds with one stone, making your catering bus. better and portion control!

TailGateJoecom
03-12-2015, 01:16 AM
I'm not a caterer (just a wanna be!), but when I eat BBQ, the carving station is part of the fun! It's a bummer for me if the carving station guy is boring. So, you get to kill 2 birds with one stone, making your catering bus. better and portion control!

So is the carving station guy supposed to tell jokes while carving up and serving you your dinner? lol:razz:

timzcardz
03-12-2015, 09:49 AM
So is the carving station guy supposed to tell jokes while carving up and serving you your dinner? lol:razz:

So a vegan walks up to a brisket carving station and says to the chef wielding the knife, "I have a beef with you!"