PDA

View Full Version : Butler, Missouri

DeanC
09-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Anyone entered or heard anything good/bad about this comp? It is sanctioned and they told me they expect around 25 teams. It is this weekend (15th/16th).

Jeff_in_KC
09-12-2006, 09:04 PM
First year contest. That's all I know. Smokin Roy Donny Allee tried to get me to enter but I'm gonna be at the Bash so I couldn't swing it. If you cook it, let us know. Might be a do-able one for next year.

DeanC
09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Will do, we will be there around 10am.

DeanC
09-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Very nice contest, great location and a very good atmosphere. You could tell it was a first year contest, their were some hiccups, but overall I thought it was great. Finished with a third in ribs and seventh in chicken, first contest with the Fast Eddy.

River City Smokehouse
09-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Who took GC and RGC? I was there but I was judging and when it was finished I went home.

HoDeDo
09-16-2006, 10:46 PM
What did you think of your FEC? I've cooked a total of 5 contests now on one....

DeanC
09-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Grand: Ray J
Reserve: Smokin' Roy
3rd: Slabs
4th: Woodshed BBQ
5th: Set It & Forget It
6th: Sedalia Master Basters
7th: Smokers Wild
8th: Hoppy's White River chef
9th: Butts A Fire
10th: J&C Cooking Crew

DeanC
09-17-2006, 11:06 AM
What did you think of your FEC? I've cooked a total of 5 contests now on one....

I love it. I bought a Yamaha Generator to run it at contests and something went wrong on Friday afternoon and I had to use the house power. It was a really long night, I was waiting for the inevitable surge or power outage but it never came, FE worked like a charm. I am going to get an inverter set up for the Royal if I don't get the issue resolved. I cooked everything but chicken on it.

If I had one complaint it would be the uneasy feeling I had. Its almost like I was waiting for something to go wrong, I think thats just my pessimistic nature and the generator issue didn't help. I want to get the spare parts kit, I think that will help ease my mind. I would definately go with the FE again and wish I had another one.

Jeff_in_KC
09-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Pellet cookers.... ppppffffffftttt!!! :roll: :wink:

DeanC
09-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Yea, yea.....I figured that was coming. I did tend plenty of fires though before I bought it if it makes you think more highly of me

Jeff_in_KC
09-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm just giving you grief because you can get 6-8 hours of sleep and I can't! :wink: Plus my buddy HoDeDo is slowly being drawn to the dark side!

HoDeDo
09-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm just giving you grief because you can get 6-8 hours of sleep and I can't! :wink: Plus my buddy HoDeDo is slowly being drawn to the dark side!

This is why I asked Dean..... I have cooked on old okie joe's, Kingfishers, heck even on the back 1/2 of a '56 Mercury wagon we called the Raging Bull... ( due to the stacks) But I bought a toy hauler, and my current Kingfisher takes muscle to move in and out of it.... The shop installing my Winch has an FEC.... so I took it hostage until the winch is in.... Needless to say, I really like it... and have 2 reserve Grands, and a couple top 10's cooking with it. But I too, have issues worrying about power, and the fire going out - or cooker catching fire ( like I have seen them do, and another brother has seen them do). BUT - I still love it. But thanks to Butts, I'm also looking at Stumps smokers, and I have come across one from a local KC shop - American BBQ Systems.... like a good-one w/ a rotisserie.... and of course Spice makes a killer cooker ( just too heavy to pull in and out of my toy hauler.)

So I am swinging towards the darkside myself... and glad to hear of your experience with it ... Thanks Dean.

DeanC
09-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Apparently a pure sine inverter, a deep cycle marine battery, and a trickle charger is the way to go. I got too fancy with the generator I guess. The team next to me at Butler (Woodshed BBQ) had a FEC and was running it with that set up. He had no power problems. Good luck with your choice, I too looked at the Stumps and Spicewine. I went with the FE because my wife can use it without having to build a fire.