PDA

View Full Version : New Smoker

zero5bravo
09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
05bravo 10-8 here... Saying howdy from Texas. I have a NB Bandera that I bought last month and have not used it yet... I have seasoned it with a 4 hour burn and will try it this week-end. I have read a lot of advise, tricks and tips here and appreciate it. Was at a local Wal Mart yesterday, its one of the smaller stores. They are building a giant super store on the same block as the smaller one and will open @ the end of this month. Well, smaller store started a super sale with the pending the closure and moving to the super one and I found an old weather beaten box with a smoker in on display. I could hardly read the print, but it had a picture of a bullet smoker and I opened the thing and found the documentation. It is a Masterbuilt Grand Mac Triple Crown smoker, green in color and is brand new. It originally sold for $55.00 and was marked down to $28.00 due to the condition of the box I guess... Well I snatched it up, put it together and found a down right handsome looking smoker... if any one has experience with one, I would appreciate any info... Thanks... God Bless

fivelombardis
09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
i have something like that (handles say masterbuilt on them) but it was badged by Cabela's. I LOVE IT...mine is a gas assisted, but with the chunks of wood in the fire pan, you'd never guess the whole Q wasn't made with strictly wood. nothing really to it, you really can't mess up the Q with this thing...wish it was a LITTLE bigger circumference wise. you'll love it. it is a little hard to "feed" it with more wood, as it gets real hot around that wood door area. so make sure you have the right sized chunks of wood ready...or at least a good poker to push the wood around.

zero5bravo
09-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I am a newbee to smoking and have only recently started research on it when I found this site. I appreciate the "comeback" to my msg. I Have "grilled" many years with good results using charcoal but mainly wood (mesquite) have lots of that here in west Texas. You mentioned wood chunks in the Masterbuilt. Is this strickly chunks or do I mix it with the charcoal? I have an how to use the charcoal but have never smoked. Back to ya...

Arlin_MacRae
09-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Welcome aboard 05B!!

San Angelo... Is Zentner's Daughter Steakhouse still alive and well? Talk about some good steak...whew.

Arlin

zero5bravo
09-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes Sir! Its still open and doing real well, my new wife of three years is from Puerto Rico and has never been to Texas and noticed that Steak Houses are everywhere... I explained that Texans are the majority in steak eating.. and grilling... She has weaned me away from Tex-Mex to caribbean. I love the change but she will never wean me from Steak! No Sir...

Arlin_MacRae
09-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Good for you! Hmm, you could share some of her recipes here, you know... <drool>

Westexbbq
09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Howdy right back and welcome to the camp!

Sledneck
09-12-2006, 09:11 PM
welocme

MilitantSquatter
09-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Welcome 05bravo 10-8!!!

Is this some type of Ham radio handle or something ? inquiring minds want to know...:wink:

bbqjoe
09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Welcome.
Texas huh? Is that big?

10-8 = in service

bbqbull
09-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Welcome 05B. Very unique name/title or???????? Welcome to the best Q forum on da planet.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the group

Sawdustguy
09-12-2006, 11:23 PM
10-4 there 0-5B hope you enjoy our little oasis in cyberspace.

frognot
09-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Welcome aboard zero5bravo!

Kevin
09-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Welcome 05B.

rbsnwngs
09-13-2006, 07:09 AM
welcome aboard

jt
09-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Welcome to the fray

Ron_L
09-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Welcome to the asylum, 05b!

Jorge
09-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Welcome fellow Texan! Weaned away from TexMex:shock: Now that just ain't right!

Fredbird
09-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Welcome Aboard!

offa1a
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Welcome brutha!

scottyd
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
WELCOME, CAN YOU HERE ME! Brother

zero5bravo
09-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I declare, I feel just so darn welcome here, glad I signed on. As I wrote before, I am a griller from way back, just recently found a better way to cook our four legged friends. I probably sound like... duh!! but I thought smoking meat was a long and drawn out process done only in some kind of smoke room. I used to see those "bullet" smokers all around and would think, "why would anyone want to "grill" on that small little grill? It never dawned on me that they were "smokers"
Well, I started doing research on the www and decided to go out and buy me a smoker. Well, I got me a NB Bandera, put it together, seasoned it as per instructions I found here, and smoked me two little chickens. After three hours and out of wood, ran down to the Gro and got some Cheap charcoal, by the time I got the fire going again I had lost temperature. I used not enough wood, was not ready, and was not prepared. Any how my bandera is sitting out on the drive with a for sale sign on it's neck. Oh, I have not given up, I went and found me a Masterbuilt Grand Mac Triple Crown charcoal smoker and will try again with charcoal and chunks, wish me luck...
zero5bravo 10-7 10-42

Neil
09-14-2006, 08:17 AM
Welcome aboard Zero5bravo, enjoy what you learn and share what you know, it's what we do here.

Arlin_MacRae
09-14-2006, 08:43 AM
I declare, I feel just so darn welcome here, glad I signed on. As I wrote before, I am a griller from way back, just recently found a better way to cook our four legged friends. I probably sound like... duh!! but I thought smoking meat was a long and drawn out process done only in some kind of smoke room. I used to see those "bullet" smokers all around and would think, "why would anyone want to "grill" on that small little grill? It never dawned on me that they were "smokers"
Well, I started doing research on the www and decided to go out and buy me a smoker. Well, I got me a NB Bandera, put it together, seasoned it as per instructions I found here, and smoked me two little chickens. After three hours and out of wood, ran down to the Gro and got some Cheap charcoal, by the time I got the fire going again I had lost temperature. I used not enough wood, was not ready, and was not prepared. Any how my bandera is sitting out on the drive with a for sale sign on it's neck. Oh, I have not given up, I went and found me a Masterbuilt Grand Mac Triple Crown charcoal smoker and will try again with charcoal and chunks, wish me luck...
zero5bravo 10-7 10-42

Bro - go rescue that 'Dera from the driveway!!! You may find, as I did, that your first smoker quickly becomes too small and you need something larger. The 'Dera, she just takes some learning is all!

Arlin

Grumpy's Q
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Bro - go rescue that 'Dera from the driveway!!! You may find, as I did, that your first smoker quickly becomes too small and you need something larger. The 'Dera, she just takes some learning is all!

Arlin

Welcome aboard 05B!!
Like Arlin said Go get that Dera from the driveway!!!! The first couple of cooks were not too pretty for me. After mods (See the bandera 101 section) and some practice you can turn out some good stuff with her. Please don't give up too soon. She will treat you right when you understand her more. (oh wait it sounds like I am talking about my wife)

I lived in San Angelo in the early 80's. I sure liked it out there. Some good family owned eateries out that way.:wink:

TexasGuppie
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
05bravo 10-8 here...

Uh-oh...sounds like the "Man" is among us. You know, "Five-0. Put away the illegal brew.

Welcome!

thillin
09-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Welcome fellow Texan. Jump right in. I've got some relatives in San Angelo.

zero5bravo
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
zero5bravo 10-8 10-41 here....
I appreciate all the welcomes and the advice not to quit on the " 'dera"
I would agree that I need more time and practice but I think the 'dera is a fuel hog without all the mods. I am retired and would smoke for me and the wife only and one daughter and two small granddaughters soooo... I think the bullet smoker is adequate. I have read that the "minion" method would work on these type of smokers and I am anxious to try that this week-end... will keep you posted, again thanks for the "come backs"
I used to be "the man" but retired so not to worry :grin:

God Bless u all

Arlin_MacRae
09-14-2006, 02:23 PM
You know what's best, for sure!
Let us know how the minion method works for you this weekend. And remember, pictures are good! ;)

thillin
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Welcome aboard 05B!!

San Angelo... Is Zentner's Daughter Steakhouse still alive and well? Talk about some good steak...whew.

Arlin

My cousin's husband's family owns it. I've eaten then more than I can remember.

VitaminQ
09-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Welcome, 05B! You're off to a good start!

we'll smoke u
09-14-2006, 06:05 PM
welcome aboard

slat
09-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Welcome Brother.

Pig Headed
09-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Welcome 05B.

Grumpy's Q
09-15-2006, 06:12 AM
[quote=Arlin_MacRae]Welcome aboard 05B!!

We used to go to Zentner's on Sunday afternoon (three or four of us) and each order one of them big ole hamburgers a large order of onion rings to split and a couple pitchers of beer. We were done eating for the day. The chicken fried steak was awesome as I remembered. Is Shakeys pizza still around? That was some of the best pizza around. When I was a kid we used to stop by at Twin Mountains Steak House to eat on the way to my grandmothers out in Big Lake. They turned it into a supper club by the time I started school at ASU. Lots of good memories out there. Again welcome!

jpw23
09-15-2006, 07:36 AM
welcome aboard brother!!!

Arlin_MacRae
09-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Welcome aboard 05B!!

We used to go to Zentner's on Sunday afternoon (three or four of us) and each order one of them big ole hamburgers a large order of onion rings to split and a couple pitchers of beer. We were done eating for the day. The chicken fried steak was awesome as I remembered. Is Shakeys pizza still around? That was some of the best pizza around. When I was a kid we used to stop by at Twin Mountains Steak House to eat on the way to my grandmothers out in Big Lake. They turned it into a supper club by the time I started school at ASU. Lots of good memories out there. Again welcome!

Oh man, I'd forgotten about those onion rings!!!

Grumpy's Q
09-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Oh man, I'd forgotten about those onion rings!!!

To die for! They were not afraid to give you a few! :wink:

Wine & Swine
09-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Welcome aboard, but I have to say all this talk of Texas food talk is killing me. Man do I miss it, real Tex-Mex (nothing like it in NY) and even with all the great NY pizza Shakey's is the still the best.

Greatgrills
09-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Welcome

Norcoredneck
09-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Believe me it is a true addiction. Welcome aboard.

JohnMcD348
09-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Welcome aboard.

PimpSmoke
09-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Welcome...jump in feet first