PDA

View Full Version : serving those who serve

mrbojangles
01-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Hey guys! I regularly volunteer with my local USO where we do lunched for active duty military and retired vets. Last week during some down time the discussion drifted to how I BBQ. Long story short, I am doing pulled pork for 100 people on the 14th! Super excited but I have a few questions. I was planning on 9x8ish LB butts. I calculate 50% loss between trimming, puling the bone, and rendering fat, which will get me 100 .36lb sandwiches. Do you think this will be good enough or should I add another butt? This lunch will strictly be for enlisted active duty Air Force (reads young males). The size of my smoker will not allow me to cook it all and serve it after the rest. I was planing on cooking it a day or two in advance and warm it up the day of. I was thinking keep whole and toss in the oven. but what temp and how long? I have no experience in this. Any tips and pointers on re-heating would be greatly appreciated!

tjmwa7
01-05-2015, 08:28 PM
thx foe sharing!

Burnt at Both Endz
01-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Heat whole butts double wrapped in heavy duty foil in the oven at 275* for about 2hrs until they are 160* internal temp.

If using small buns you can get about 6 sandwiches per lb of cooked meat.

You are correct on your waste lost at 50%.

landarc
01-05-2015, 08:59 PM
We tend to pre-cook and pull the pork, then refrigerate. We do an annual cook for 300 to 400 and there is no way we could be pulling the pork on the day of the event with the resources we normally have. That being said, you are working at a smaller scale and with enough help, it would not be hard.

My preference for quality is to leave meat as large as possible, so if you have the time and manpower, leave them whole and heat at the time of serving, otherwise, pull the day before, once the meat is cool. And pack and chill.

tish
01-05-2015, 09:06 PM
(((Hugs))) for serving the guys! :hug:

Jason R
01-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Wish I was closer. I would love to help. Thanks for serving those who serve.

BrotherInArms
01-05-2015, 11:48 PM
I wish that i was able to get off of work for this im stationed in everett and would love to help thanks for serving my fellow brothers and sisters in uniform

ButtBurner
01-06-2015, 06:04 AM
Heat whole butts double wrapped in heavy duty foil in the oven at 275* for about 2hrs until they are 160* internal temp.

If using small buns you can get about 6 sandwiches per lb of cooked meat.

You are correct on your waste lost at 50%.

this is exactly how I do it.

I also freeze whole butts after crash cooling them and sell them to my co workers to raise funds for my charity cooks. I tell them to reheat them the same way

Everyone loves them.