PDA

View Full Version : Any wood is good for smoking.. as long as its Cherry.

BBQchef33
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
idea?

A Tree.. something that can live on for many years.. Planted somewhere in KC.. a Cherry tree of course and we will supply it.

Maybe at KC's house if Jean will let us, or at his moms, or on/near his property. Or even someplace public where other can see it with a plaque.. KCBS headquarters have a piece of Grass nearby? Any ideas??

Lets Discuss.

VitaminQ
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
You might talk to the local Parks Department. We allow people to donate trees for various reasons here. They can basically buy the tree and we'll plant it. The department, of course, has veto power over location and type of tree, but we're usually pretty reasonable. If they're willing to maintain it properly after planting, that might be an idea.

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
idea?

A Tree.. something that can live on for many years.. Planted somewhere in KC.. a Cherry tree of course and we will supply it.

Maybe at KC's house if Jean will let us, or at his moms, or on/near his property. Or even someplace public where other can see it with a plaque.. KCBS headquarters have a piece of Grass nearby? Any ideas??

Lets Discuss.

How about the cemetery where he will be interred? Jean could move eventually. KCBS... Ummm... not what you'd expect and I don't recall grass!

bbqbull
09-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Bbq-Brethren headquarters?

BBQchef33
09-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Actually, thats a good chance too...

but somewhere in KC is where im thinkin for him.

i like the park or cemetary idea.. keep em coming..

Bill-Chicago
09-06-2006, 01:01 PM
An arboretum would be good too. We have a beautiful one here that is very well maintained, donated on land once owned by the Morton family (salt)

Fruit trees need pruning, and an arboretum would take care of it.

spicewine
09-06-2006, 01:03 PM
We are considering having the Mid-West Bash in Columbia since this will be Greg's last year Belly Bro and Belly Bro II have some nice property where we are planning to have it each year. Maybe they would like to plant one so that he would always be represented at the Bash.

Just a thought.

Spice

VitaminQ
09-06-2006, 01:04 PM
FWIW:
From the KCMO Parks Dept. Website:
Tree planting
Working with limited funds, we actively pursue tree planting funds through various grant programs and work closely with the Kessler Society to provide low-cost trees for citizens interested in planting trees in city right-of-ways. Although funds may not be available for your council district, our staff will be happy to place your name on a waiting list should funds become available for your request. We also can issue a tree planting permit to citizens interested in planting a tree themselves.

The contact person is a Ms Brooks at 816-513-7586. I tried to call, but got her voicemail. It appears that the dept. would not object, though.

Bill-Chicago
09-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Just a thought.

And a good one at that

backyardchef
09-06-2006, 01:06 PM
There'll be a tree planted in NY in KC's honor. One in KC would be proper, but maybe Brethren around the country can plant them, too....

BBQchef33
09-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Backyardchef....Thats an awesome idea.

VitaminQ. If you dont mind running point and following up on your parks dept contact, The Brethren funds will supply the $$ for the tree, and I'm sure we can supply the backs for the labor at a planting ceremony.

Bigdog
09-06-2006, 01:50 PM
I had a cherry tree at my old house and will now plant one at my new house in memory of Scott. I encourage others of you to do the same if you can. The red cherries will remind me that he was also a fellow Chiefs fan.

jt
09-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Cherry tree is an awesome idea. I'll plant one at home as well.

parrothead
09-06-2006, 02:00 PM
I'll try to find one before the bash here so we can plant it together. Actually two.One at my place and one at my lot.

VitaminQ
09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
VitaminQ. If you dont mind running point and following up on your parks dept contact

I'm on it.

beerguy
09-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I gotta say, you guys are awesome. What a fine tribute to Scott. Again I gotta say how humbled and proud I am to be a part of this forum. What a great idea.

Bob-BQN
09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
I saved the pits from the cherries I ate this season, but must admit, it's tough getting anything to grow in my yard. There is only an inch or two of soil on top of a rock shelf, which everything bakes during the summer. I will certainly try to get some of them to grow and if they do, there will be a cherry tree in my front yard.

Brauma
09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
I'll plant one at my house in a few weeks. We are planning a Fall Session and BeerGuy and I will have a small ceremony and take a pic to post. I'll see if I can get a small brass plaque made up in the mean time.

Doorbusters
09-08-2006, 03:06 AM
There is a nice arboretum just north of Drexel called Powell Gardens. They have events all year, Monarch Butterflies, etc. I would think they would be happy to have a fruit tree there in his honor. I can call, or visit and check it out if you like, 15 minutes from my house.

BBQchef33
09-08-2006, 09:12 AM
you got point on that dustin.. Go for it.. great idea.. We will cover the cost of the tree.

on our way to services...

a few toasts last night to KC..

me greg, bigdog, hoededo,jeff_in_kc, and jorge are all here.. JT is on his way... We are off for the last goodbye and then heading to blue springs, followed by columbia.

VitaminQ
09-13-2006, 12:32 PM
I was finally able, yesterday, to talk to one of the Urban Foresters in the KCMO Parks Department. He has to check in to the formalities, but he didn't seem to think it would be a problem to get a tree planted in a park up there. He said that he though the best way would be to issue a tree planting permit and then let the Brethren take it from there. That way, the City isn't receiving any sort of donation directly, and doesn't have to use manpower to plant it.

He sounded like it might be possible to have a plaque of some sort placed along with the tree. It may, however, create a maintenance issue that they don't want to deal with. It seems to me that a small plaque mounted flush with the ground would be the way to go. It might eventually get overgrown, though. Something to think about.

He's supposed to call me back in the next couple of days with more information. Does anyone in the area have suggestions for locations? I am completely unfamiliar with anything about Kansas City. Also, are there hands available to plant the tree? Does any one know of good nurseries in the area from whom to buy trees?

BBQchef33
09-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Shohn, thanks so much for following up.

im sure we can get hands to plant..

I will also look into getting a plaque made that can be mounted to the tree... (if i remember correctly they grow from the top, so something placed at 6 foot high will stay there. Keep us posted.

parrothead
09-13-2006, 07:17 PM
I am grabbing an 8-10 foot cherry tree tomorrow to plant at the bash. I just talked to a buddy that works at a shop that can whip out memorial plates in nothing flat. I will follow up with him next week and hopefully get them together in about 2 weeks or so.

butts
03-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Wow, I never got to meet KC but I thought of him several times this week. One of my current projects is recreating a park and a fountain that was demolished in the early 1900's. With all of the hardscape structure in place we began with the installation of all the "green" structures. The first eight trees planted were 'Akebono' cherries, these are ornamental rather than fruit berring trees but still in the cherry (Prunus) family. When I stepped back and looked at the newly installed trees I thought of KC and all the tributes that were sent with him. Hopefully in some small way this can serve as another, it will for me any way. I thought you guys might enjoy those thoughts, I'll try to post pics in the next couple of weeks. KC lives on in Gaffney, South Carolina.

Arlin_MacRae
03-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Nicely done, Butts. Would love to see the pix.

parrothead
03-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Yes, me too. I plan on posting a picture of the one here as soon as it blooms.

Mooner
03-25-2007, 11:43 PM
There is a nice arboretum just north of Drexel called Powell Gardens. They have events all year, Monarch Butterflies, etc. I would think they would be happy to have a fruit tree there in his honor. I can call, or visit and check it out if you like, 15 minutes from my house.

I got married in the glass chapel at Powell Gardens. Anyone from the KC area knows it's a beautiful place.