PDA

View Full Version : It's a sad day--We've Lost A Brother

Solidkick
09-04-2006, 11:55 AM
This morning I received a phone call...you know the kind that you know could come at anytime but it's always the furthest thought in your mind....a phone call letting you know that a family member or friend has gone to glory.....

Friends.....our beloved KCQuer....Scott Cook, has passed......

I just spoke with him on the phone about 45 minutes yesterday. He had been having some health problems with his kidneys and had had some test run last week. We talked about his health, his Dr., then cooking, then grandkids.....he seemed to be in great spirits, all things considered.....

I received a phone call this morning on my cell phone....by the time I got to it, I could see it was from KC, but was in the process of leaving a message....I call my voice mail, and it's Jean's voice.....my heart sank immediately...message was to call as soon as I got the message....

Scott had his truck and trailer over at a storage facility....they were getting ready to build some new units and had called Scott to have him move them to a different location on the property...Jean said he went out the door with a tire pump cause a tire was low on the trailer, and some jumper cables in case the truck wouldn't start....and he went out the door with a smile on his face.....he wasn't back home after an hour and a half, so she goes over to the storage facility....she meets an ambulance at the entrance...leaving...she said she knew it was Scott....but unfortunately Scott wasn't in it....he was pronounced dead at the scene by the coroner's office. Autopsy results have not been released as of yet, but indications lean towards a massive stroke or heart attack.

Jean and family are to meet with the funeral home this afternoon for final arrangements and I will pass these along as I get them....

To my brother Scott.....I miss you already.....I loved you man!

The_Kapn
09-04-2006, 12:00 PM
I am at a loss for words.
May he rest in peace.
Our prayers to the family.

TIM

cabo
09-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Kick,
God, that’s just so sad.
I never got to meet Scott in person. Now I never will, in this life.
But if there’s a place in heaven for us, he will surely be holding the door open for us.
My prayers for his personal friends & the family.

Ron_L
09-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for posting more info, Kick. Greg called me a little while ago to tell me the sad news. I knew that Scott was having some health problems, but this was a shock! If you talk to jean please pass along my condolences. If the Brethren are going to do anything as a group for the funeral or in Scott's memory, I'm in. Just let me know.

Scott was also active on the Cookshack forum and I'm a member there. Do you think Jean would mind if I posted there to let his friends on that forum know of his passing? I noticed that you didn't post this in a public group here, so should I wait a while before posting on a public forum over there?

Jorge
09-04-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm still walking around, trying to wrap my mind around this one. Can one of you Columbia farkers tell me what the closest airport is? I don't know that I can make it to his funeral, but we shared enough over he years that if it's possible I will.

parrothead
09-04-2006, 01:03 PM
Here are some of the best pics to add in to the post whenever it goes out front.

I miss him already. A lot.

BBQchef33
09-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm still shocked from this. Its been a surreal morning. We'll be setting up a memorial fund and do what we can for the family. Although we have lost a brother in the past, years ago, no one as close to us as KC is. This hits us right in the pit. Im not sure exactly what to do at this point but its got to be something to keep KC with us as times goes by. This one hurts bros. Whos gonna put the turtles out to man the perimeter? Im trying to put a memorial page up on the site, but my brain is mush.

kick, i know a number of us will be flying in for a few days. Can u look up some hotel/motels that will be nearby.

If at all possible, I'd like us to get together for our own "memorial' dinner/service whatever.... put we should all get together to raise our glasses to our fallen brother.

brdbbq
09-04-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm at a Loss. I'm just at a farking loss.

Jorge
09-04-2006, 01:21 PM
kick, i know a number of us will be flying in for a few days. Can u look up some hotel/motels that will be nearby.

If at all possible, I'd like us to get together for our own "memorial' dinner/service whatever.... put we should all get together to raise our glasses to our fallen brother.

Sounds like a plan. I have some appointments with Docs for my Mom, and Father-in-law that I can't change and have to make. Other than that I'm there.

I just talked to Scott recently. I think he enjoyed my struggles with home improvement and working with wood. He never gave me a hard time, and always offered quality advice.

In a lot of ways he was the soul of this site. Scott had his opinions about Q, and he'd let you know when he disagreed. More importantly it was the people he cared about, and that was always first with him.

Recently we had been talking about pizza a lot. Tonight I think I'll change the planned menu and make a pie with him in mind.

Ron_L
09-04-2006, 01:30 PM
That's a good idea, Jorge... Scott and I had talked a lot about Chicago-style pizzas, and he really wanted to try some of the most famous ones. I think a Lou Malnati Pizza in order in his memory. Tonight's dinner is already in process, so we'll do the pizza tomorrow.

Thanks for the pics, Greg! The one with Scott with the Cabo Wabo bottle is my favorite!

cabo
09-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Man that picture of him holding that bottle of Cabo Wabo just…..

I guess it’s just a little personal.

Jorge
09-04-2006, 01:35 PM
im working on a memorial page to put up out front.. anyone know what his birthday was???, and anyone want to write a short paragraph that i can include on the page.. maybe make a eulogy page that memebrs can add to..

It will take me a couple of hours, but I think I can come up with something.

spicewine
09-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Although we may have had some differences in the past, we were still very much Brothers!! He will be greatly missed around here and thought of often!!

The good Lord has a new BBQ Chef. I honor his memory!!

Spice

BrooklynQ
09-04-2006, 01:54 PM

Let's see if we can time that dinner to take place all across the country. Say at 10:00 NY time on the appointed day we all raise a toast to a lost brother.

BBQchef33
09-04-2006, 01:59 PM
I got a few PMs with the same idea.. nationwide memorial dinner.. we can coordinate that once this goes out front.

I dont know what we are doing yet, been talking to a few of us, but we ARE doing something, from flowers at the service to some funds for the family, or the grand kids, or whatever.

Paypal account is open to anyone who wants to put something in. Mofos will be taking care of getting some flowers from us to the funeral home, anything else we can give to jean to help out, or to the kids, or donations, whatever we decide.. If any of the mofos want to use their paypal account instead of the brethren account, thats ok too.

Brethren paypal is banderabros@optonline.net

Jorge
09-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Phil, is it possible for KC to always be logged in from now on?

BBQchef33
09-04-2006, 03:31 PM
i will see if i can do that.

Bigdog
09-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh my god.
Scott was my friend.
He was my bash brother.
You will be missed, but never forgotten.
This place will never be the same.
I love ya man.

cabo
09-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Phil, is it possible for KC to always be logged in from now on?

I know he always will be, but thatís a great idea.

Hope you can pull it off Pooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigmista
09-04-2006, 03:50 PM
I just heard this from Bill.

I have no words. I am just shocked. KC was my friend. I...

Damn. Helluva thing.

I miss him already.

The_Kapn
09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
My favorite KC thread (of many great ones).
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17085

That man loved his grandkiddos!

I will be hitting the PayPal shortly.
I can not attend the services due to commitments that I just can find no way to move :sad:

I will be there in spirit.

TIM

Arlin_MacRae
09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
:cry:
Thanks for the call this morning, Phil. I wouldn't have wanted to come across this sad event cold.

I never met my brother, KC, and now I never will. It's a sad day now, and my heart will hiccup each time in the future when I realize I won't be seeing another of his replies to a post.

He was a great brother and always will be and, although I'll be tied to the city for the next week and probably won't be able to make the funeral, you can count on me to chip in whatever it takes to make his passing a memorable event.

<cry>

Arlin

Ron_L
09-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I won't be able to make it to KC for the services, either. I've been slow all summer but the next week and a half are nuts with some big customer meetings.

I'll hit Paypal in a bit, also.

Solidkick
09-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Brother Scott's body has been released from the coroner's office to the direction of Runyon Funeral Home, Drexel MO. It will be an additional 3 days before the known cause of death will be released.

There will not be a viewing of the body as the family has chosen cremation. Visitation will be Friday morning at 10:00AM, with the service following at 11:00AM. Burial will follow the service. Donations are suggested to the Wolfner Library for the Blind, under the direction of the funeral home.
You may contact the funeral home here:

Wilson and Son Funeral Home AKA Runyan Funeral Home
(816) 657-4400
136 E Main St
Drexel, MO 64742

Sympathy cards and pictures of Scott that you would like to be shared at the service may be sent to:

Jeanne Sidebottom
714 Ann Ave.
Harrisonville MO 64701

Scott was an avid KC Chiefs fan, as well as a BBQer. I requested to Jeanne that she send him out in his Chief's jersey and his Brethren hat....she agreed that would be most fitting.....

To Phil:....on your webpage memorial to KC....he passed away Sunday afternoon, Sept 3rd

----------------

I went out to the Bellys to break the news...we're working on the comp trailer, getting it ready for this weekend, which just doesn't seem important anymore, but I have to do it as it is my home company that is putting on the event....

I fired up a 1/2 chimney of Kingsford, threw in 2 cherry chunks, got each of the brothers and myself a beer, and broke the news....we toasted his life, thanked him for his friendship, and agreed that a KC Chiefs decal will be added to the trailer as a remembrance of Scott, he'll always be with us where ever we go to compete.

This will be one tough week for all of us......

Jeff in KC or possibly BigDog would be a better contact person for motel info and info on KCI than myself...I'm over a hundred miles away from Kansas City. I have spoken with Jeff and he will be available to help anyway he can before Friday as he has the Blues Springs Blaze Off this weekend as well.

Jorge
09-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Thank you Mr. Kick. I can't thank you enough for what you've done. That call is one you never want to get.

For those planning to make it, Friday works for me. I'll book my flight later, but I plan to arrive Thursday night and will get a car. I have obligations that I need to attend to on Saturday so I will be heading back to the airport to catch a flight out on Friday afternoon. Call your seat now.

Neil
09-04-2006, 08:02 PM
My condolences to all my brethren out there. Bill called me this afternoon while I was out on Lake Michigan fishing with the sad news. I always enjoyed reading KC's posts and had a great time talking with him at last years fall bash. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Bigdog
09-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Jeff in KC or possibly BigDog would be a better contact person for motel info and info on KCI than myself...I'm over a hundred miles away from Kansas City. I have spoken with Jeff and he will be available to help anyway he can before Friday as he has the Blues Springs Blaze Off this weekend as well.
I live in Wichita, some 180 miles from KC. You must of thought that I was closer. I have been to Scott's house. It is in MO (he was a MOFO), some 50 miles of so south of KC. So I can help some, but not too much. Jeff lives much closer, just up the road from Scott about 20 miles. Sure hope that I can make the service. As a teacher, I don't get to miss many days, but I do have a great boss. Thanks for all the updates Gary. He always spoke very kindly of you and I look forward to meeting you.

MilitantSquatter
09-04-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm at a loss... I did not know KC all that long but the one thing I could tell is that he had passion for whatever info or thoughts he shared with the group....

He will be greatly missed...

See you on the other side Scott.

Brauma
09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
How old was he? He looked mid 40's? Gosh, thats scary.

I never met him but I really enjoyed reading his posts too. Thoughts and prayers to his family tonight.

jminion
09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
I was able to spend time with Scott at the Royal, we talked on the phone and e-mailed, he loved BBQ and this Forum.

God bless his family, know he will be missed.

Jim

BBQchef33
He was 41.

here is the beginning of a memorial page (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/kcquer.htm).

bear with us, formaatting may be off.. It is a work in progress and will be cleaned up and done properly, but it contains some details and eulogies.. eventually to be put up in a permanent place on our site.

If anyone would like something added to his memorial page, a few words, a paragraph, etc.. please PM it to me.

Bill-Chicago
I'll have words for the eulogy page at some point.

Scott and I were close, but so were alot of you.

I was glad I got a hold of Neil, Mista, Noah, and Dog, and thanks to Phil, Jorge and Greg for calling me.

I tried to get a hold of JT, and Trout, but that was not message for a machine. Did leave a quick one for Chad though, for I know he met him at Phils.

Like I posted in the Labor Day thread, it was pouring all morning, and pouring now. Someone up there gave me 5 hours to smoke on the kettle and reflect.

Thanks Scott.

And Neil V, you just have a way of talking about life that makes one feel good to talk to. Thanks.

My travel plans will not be known for about 48 hours though. Kinda wish they were not going with the cremation, as I would have planned to bring 4 turtles for inside his casket, one for each corner.

I know he would have laughed, and felt safe.

Ron_L
09-04-2006, 09:53 PM
This is a little thing, but it would have made Scott happy...

When he heard that I had sent Lou Malnati's pizza to the bash at Phil's, he told me that he was jealous. I should have sent him some pizza that day, but I didn't. We altered our dinner plans for tonight and we'll have turkey breast tomorrow. Tonight was Lou Malnati's pizza, and this piece is for Scott.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1388.jpg

Bill-Chicago
09-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Nice touch Ron

I am kicking myself for a few things.

1, I can't believe your not in my cell phone directory, but more importantly,
2, Scott and I were always talking about low sodium tips. I was constantly telling him he didnt need to sacrafice flavor. He kept getting dissapointing results. I was going to send him a low/no salt care package, but never got around to it.

Now, I'm kicking myself.

fivelombardis
09-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I'll pray for his family.

nmayeux
09-04-2006, 10:08 PM
I just wanted to say that this man and I had a few very short conversations, and that he was one of the most generous and caring individuals that I have ever had the pleasure to know. It breaks my heart that I never had the chance to meet him in person, and that he will be in my prayers often. God bless him for who he was, and that I hope that his spirit will live on through our fellowship and generosity.

cmcadams
09-04-2006, 10:09 PM
I didn't know him well yet, but I'm just at a loss. I liked his sense of humor, and just wish I'd had a chance to meet him in person.

My prayers go out to his family.

nmayeux
09-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Also,
Thanks to Bill and others for letting me know about this tragedy in person, and Ron, that was a really classy post.

Sawdustguy
09-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I am in shock. I didn't know Scott for very long but it just doesn't seem right that someone like Scott should only enjoy this earth for 41 years. I can not travel this week but if there is anthing you need, money etc. please let me know.Scott will be in my prayers. I know God has a special place for him.

bbqjoe
09-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Complete loss of words.
My prayers to his family.

Samichlaus
09-04-2006, 10:27 PM
The Brethren has suffered a loss in the death of one of its most distinguished members. To Scott's Family, you have my heart-felt sympathy for the loss of your husband/father/grand-dad. May you find peace with time.

slat
09-04-2006, 10:43 PM
I am as shocked as everyone else here. I met Scott and his wife last year in Columbia. We didn't get to spend very much time together, but enjoyed tallking with him and his wife. He was someone that enjoyed life and when you talked with him you knew it. He will surely be missed.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

May his love of life carry on in each of us.

jpw23
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I am at a loss for words.......thoughts and prayers for his family

MrSmoker
09-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I never got to meet Scott but i believe he was what this forum is all about,he was family to us all.My prayers go out to his family.

Kirk
09-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Wow, really sorry to hear this. What can you say except that his family will be in our thoughts as well.

BBQchef33
09-04-2006, 11:04 PM
The Brethren has suffered a loss in the death of one of its most distinguished members. To Scott's Family, you have my heart-felt sympathy for the loss of your husband/father/grand-dad. May you find peace with time.

Sami, Those are the words i was looking for all day...

"One of our most distinguished members. "

I have spent today an emotional wreck, as i am sure others here have.. and.. yes..KC is one of our most distinguished members. Most often first out of the gate to help the new guys.. he exemplified what we are all about, family, friends, brothers.. helping and encouraging members..wheather they be in the backyard, or under the competition tent, he never once waned in our goals. Just last week, he reminded me of a post from 3 years ago.. he dug it up and showed me that we are becoming exactly as planned back then.... and he was proud to be a part of it. The times when i was ready to throw in the towel, he would put me back on track and point out whats important. All this aside, KC is a Brethren, KC is our family, but most important.. KC is our friend.

This man is one of my closest friends on this site, we talked often. We agreed and we disagreed, but we always stayed friends. I've wrriten my notes to him several times today, but just cant find the words yet.. His last words to me yesterday was 'loveya bro, talk to ya later"... and that will be my memory of him. No regrets..

bbqbull
09-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Never met this man face to face but.....sitting hear with tears in my eyes. I always enjoyed..... chatting...with KC but now I will have to chat with him by another means. Phil, thanks for starting a new thread for our first friend who has left us physically. Sad part is this is only a starting point for us all. Today is a very special day in my life........My birthday and my second anniversary. Today has been much different than pure happiness. Passing of Steve the Crock Hunter who I thoroughly enjoyed. Now KCQUER.
Guess what ive been saying all along is true. We never know when a friend or loved one is going to pass through this planet called Earth. Therefore Brethren Brothers please hug and cherish your time with your friends and loved ones every chance you get.
This fall bash is gonna even be more important to me than ever. I get to meet the the folks who make this site so interesting. Advice and jokes and other types of discussion.
May sound kinda gay.............aint no damned way in hell but hugs to all the members of the Brethern and their loved ones.
Our thoughts and prayers to Scott and his family.
Mike

Wayne
09-04-2006, 11:22 PM
I never got to meet Scot, but always planed to when I got to KC. It just goes to show that you should not put things off or you might loose the opportunity. Even though I never met him in person I still feel like he was a friend and I will miss reading his posts. My prayers and condolences go out to his family.

Jeff_in_KC
09-04-2006, 11:27 PM
I have known about it for a few hours and had been waiting for an announcement here. We hosted HoDeDo Andy and his family at our house tonight and I am just now able to sit down and think about what I want to say.

It is no secret that Scott and I had our moments. Scott was one of the first people here to welcome me to the site when I joined. He invited me to his home when I got my BSKD and together, we built my baffle for it. The man was intensely detailed in his craftsmanship. I recall thinking that surely we could get this done quicker. But as I know now, that just wasn't Scott's style. Scott and Jean came to our house once and ate ribs with us when I was trying to convince him I would be a worthy BBQ teammate. At that time, I'm not sure he agreed. We originally were going to team up to compete in BBQ but that wasn't to be. Scott had an open invitation to cook with me at any contest I was in. I told him this on several occasions, regardless of our situations. Just last Thursday, I PMed Scott asking him if he wanted a ride to the Bash if he was planning to go. He responded that he appreciated the offer but his health still was not going to allow him to do any travel like that. I told him that if he needed any help with anything to let me know.

When Phil called me this morning, I was and remain tonight in total shock over this. It all seems so unfair. Why do things like this happen? I suppose when it's our time, it is our time... for all of us. I just pray that Scott's departure for Heaven was quick and without suffering.

I know Scott was a good man and loved his family dearly. My prayers will be with them now. For them, it is a loss that will never be forgotten.

For the Brethren, a voice and a friend that will never be forgotten.

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition and of unspeakable love."

-- Washington Irving

River City Smokehouse
09-04-2006, 11:34 PM
I pray for Scott's family that peace and understanding will be abundant as they go through this difficult time.

Bob-BQN
09-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Although I haven't met Scott in person, I have met him on a couple of forums and enjoyed his advice as well as his sense of humor. I don't post here often but I've been a member for a couple of years and try to keep up on all the wonderful "fattie" innovation so I log on a couple times a week to catch up on Brethren affairs.

I grew up in KCMO on the East side and just returned from visiting family there last month. Sure wish I would have met up with him somewhere, somehow. I am greatly saddened by the loss of a fellow barbecuer, hometown comrad and Internet friend.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jeanne & family.

brdbbq
09-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I remember to this day discussing Banana Cream with him at his first bash. We talked we emailed we cussed and screamed....but the one thing that stands out to me is that he was not Scott he was "e". God's speed my hard headed friend.

Smoker
09-05-2006, 12:17 AM
I never met Scott. I never spoke with him on the phone. I never swapped emails or personal messages. I don't think I ever bantered back and forth with him in a thread. After reading everyone's post here who knew him, I feel short changed. My heart goes out to his wife and his family. Especially to his grandkid Leo. Growing up there are always people in your life who help you become the person you are. My parents and my Granparents are those people to me, my mentors who always taught me right from wrong. It seems Scott was one of those people to his family and friends.

We are all just passing through. You can't take anything with you when you leave, but you can leave a piece of yourself in everyone you meet. Always remember Scott and he will always be with you.

Steve

thirdeye
09-05-2006, 12:21 AM
That is very sad news...I did not know Scott personally but I sure did enjoy his posts. Tonight I re-read the past discussions between us here on the forum and I will remember him as being quick with the compliments and long with the good advice. He will surely be missed. My condolences go out to his family.

Bossmanbbq
09-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Very sad news, I didnt know Scott very well, having just recently joined the list the beginning of this year, but I found his posts to the this forum to be knowlegable and helpful. Our prayers to his family at this emotional time. God Bless.

Sledneck
09-05-2006, 03:35 AM
I did not know him but always enjoyed his feedback
My thought and prayers go out to his family

You will light our way, your memory will forever be with us

WannaBeBBQueen
09-05-2006, 06:37 AM
I never knew Scott, but from all that is said it is my loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. His memory will live on.

backyardchef
09-05-2006, 08:05 AM
We are all just passing through. You can't take anything with you when you leave, but you can leave a piece of yourself in everyone you meet. Always remember Scott and he will always be with you.

Steve

Well said, bro.

I just looked at the board for the first time in 4 days, and this was the first thread I saw. What a hard way to start the week. My heart goes out to Scott's family....I'm totally struck speechless....I'll talk to the wife and figure out our donation.

Rest in peace, Brother.

--Matt

Trout_man22
09-05-2006, 08:08 AM
I can not even type. Thank you Scott, You made me a better person.

Qczar
09-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Geez, ......... very sorry to hear this. Though I`ve been a member here for a few years, my time allowed on a computer has been cut short due to career changing issues. I do have to say when I first started to TRY to BBQ years ago, it was KC that took the extra time to help me understand the art of this new type of cooking I was attemping. Thru many personal messages, he wrote long explanations of the how`s and why`s. I really respected that, as I love to understand and get to the bottom of perfecting my cooking. I was lucky enough to meet him and a bunch of you others at one of Phil`s bash`s a couple of summers ago. I then could see as well as hearing him, that he had a 'Good Soul'. I learned much from him as well as others here. Yesterday I Q`ed my first meatloaf (6 pounder) that I have to thank him for at least some of my skills, as all of my Q`ing technique has some of his teachings. I thank him again. Heartfelt thoughts go out to him and his family.

I have to say, I commend you guys for taking no more than 10 posts to getting this thread to talk about food. I think KC would respect that.

Peace brother. ..................... Serge

homebbq
09-05-2006, 08:28 AM
I only knew him through posts here, 41 is way to early. Our prayers are with his family.

Bellybro
09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Never know what to say in a situation like this.

Met Scott a few times. He was always willing to help anyone. He was a great ambassoador for BBQ and this site.

Q_Egg
09-05-2006, 09:10 AM
..... I'm so new to this Brotherhood, and never knew Scott had these health challenges. He responded to my naive posts in such a positive and helpful manner. He surely seemed a very nice man. Gos bless him and his family.

thillin
09-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Thoughts and prayers from my family for his.

HoDeDo
09-05-2006, 09:18 AM
My prayers go out to his family, and to all the brothers that knew/loved him. I always enjoyed his posts. Although I did not know him outside of his posts here, it was obvious he was a thoughtful person, and passionate about this pasttime that binds us.

Our prayers go out to him and his family.

big brother smoke
09-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Learned a good deal from Scott here! I always read his post, damn!
He will be missed! My condolences to his family!

ModelMaker
09-05-2006, 09:23 AM
Being a relative newbie here I don't know all of you very well but I do remember his willingness to share information so that we all could become better at this craft.
My thoughts are with his family, real and in BBQ.
ModelMaker

Bill-Chicago
09-05-2006, 09:40 AM
The Origins of "e"

Some of you might notice, both in this forum for Scott, as well as on the Eulogy page and in the regular forum, the use of the term "e" in referring to him.

Way back in the early days of the forum, we had, oh about 30-50 "active" posters.

Well, on some days, we would get like 20 or so people in a chat room and have a blast. We had a large conference call or two as well, and those were always fun. When we were having software problems, we would send large "chain" emails that people kept hitting "reply to all" on. Those were some fun times.

And Scott was a big part of alot of that fun.

Well when he joined, his user ID he chose was KCquer. From the very first day, a group of us called him Scott, the missing "e" (to spell out queer). Or sometimes we'd call him KCQueer in a post with an "oops" smiley. We weren't really making fun of him, and some of the time he was not part of the chat sessions, so he didnt see it.

About 3 months into his membership here, he made a comment that he was so glad we invited him right into the fold, that we were his guinuine friends, and he was also glad people didnt make fun of his name after he realized it was one "e" away from queer.

We all laughed, and he laughed loudest, when I think it was Greg that said (can't recall chat, email, phone) "We've been calling you "e" for months now"

From that day forward, Scott took that for what it was. It was a term of endearment.

Every email, every PM, and every phone call with me from that day forward, he signed off as "e".

I will miss you "e"

ZILLA
09-05-2006, 10:08 AM
As one of the newer members on the forum I didn't know Scott as you all did, but I did share several PMs with him this past year. This almost always happened on other forums. I was always pleased to see a PM pop up and find Scott had been watching a discussion develope that I was involved in. He rarely got into it on other forums but when he did it was always to help someone or dispell some BBQ myth. Thats when the PMs would come and we would share further insights on the topic at hand :rolleyes: . What I liked so much about this is he always treated me as one of the Brethren even though he knew this was not my main forum. He always made me feel like one of the guys. To all of you who were close to him I'm sorry for the loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Scott had great friends in you guys.

Grumpy's Q
09-05-2006, 10:14 AM
My thoughts and prayers for his family.

Bigmista
09-05-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm still pretty shaken up by this.

Scott helped me thru my first brisket cook. He called, PMed and IMed to make sure everything was going ok and to give me tips. With him being a night owl, we had many late night conversations but looking back, it just doesn't seem like enough. I'm so glad I got to meet Scott and drink with him at the bash. I'm glad I got to shake his hand and give him a hug. I'm glad I got to tell him, "Love you man!"

It just doesn't seem like it's enough.

In case, I don't get the chance to say to you individually,

I love you guys.

jt
09-05-2006, 10:31 AM
I got this phone call yesterday. Kick called me as I was putting the ribs into the cooler and getting ready to drive into town for the holiday meal at my in-laws. I remember his voice wasn't quite right and I kept waiting for him to say why he called. Then he did...

I've been trying to think of what I can say about my friend. Several times I've started to type something and closed the browser because I couldn't do it.

KCQuer-KC-Scott-Missing E-E was my friend and my brother. We joined this group within a week of each other and quickly started messaging and emailing each other. We talked about family, friends, cabinets, kitchens, cookers, and cooking. We spent many a Yahoo session designing the "utlimate cooker". I even saved some of the sessions as text files because they held such good information. My son (then almost 3) and I drove up to Kansas City one spring and picked up E to go to the Cabela's contest. We spent the whole day walking around and looking at cookers, discussing the advantages/disadvantages of every one. We talked to some of the contestants and basically tried to be as nosy as possilble without getting in their way. It was a very good day. We talked a lot about kitchen designs and cabinetry - E was going to help me with all of that when I finally get a chance to build the new house, even if it was just going over plans and helping me tweak things.

My brother, you will be missed. There are many things I will remember but 2 sayings will always be close to me - "Any wood is good for smoking as long as it's Cherry" and "Have a good weekend, Sweet Blue to all". Love ya bro - you are the Missing E. Now fire up that ultimate cooker with some perfectly seasoned cherry wood and cook a brisket and pork loin for the Father. Sweet blue, brother.

stan
09-05-2006, 11:05 AM
This is a shock. I had just pm'd him a couple weeks ago about the Harrisonville area due to my potential relocation. I was busy all weekend working in the house and just saw this! I wish I could attend.

Prayers go out to his family and to you that new him well.

G$
09-05-2006, 11:07 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this time.

MoKanMeathead
09-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I just saw this and am deeply saddened by the news. My prayers go out to his family and to all those who knew and loved him.

TexasGuppie
09-05-2006, 11:20 AM
As sad as it is to lose one that we love, we have the choice (based on our faith) as seeing death as a "bad" thing or, as some choose to do, view it as a time when our brother will feel no more pain, be with those who passed on before him and best of all, to stand and look into the face of our Lord and rejoice in all of His glory.

From this day forward, Heaven has a new BBQ'er and we will have to wonder until our day comes, "Are those really clouds in the sky OR smoke from one of God's finest, newest Angels, smoking away for all of his new Brethren?"

Rest in peace Brother and save me a place at the table.

Prayers and condolences to the family.

Sylvie
09-05-2006, 11:21 AM
It's at times like these that it is very hard to find the right words. I knew Scott only from his posts, but your words on this thread have helped me visualize a true friend and brother. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

Events like this re-affirm the need to live everyday to the fullest.

Qczar
09-05-2006, 11:26 AM
..........Like I posted in the Labor Day thread, it was pouring all morning, and pouring now. Someone up there gave me 5 hours to smoke on the kettle and reflect.

Thanks Scott................

Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.

Ron_L
09-05-2006, 11:38 AM
The Origins of "e"

Thanks for posting that, Bill. I had heard the story at the bash last fall, but a lot of the newer members weren't aware of the history.

There's so many great posts in this thread. Mista and JT, your memories of Scott in particular hit me hard since they characterized him and his love for our hobby so perfectly.

Thanks for sharing, guys!

Jeff_in_KC
09-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey Bill, .............. Strange thing as well. I was cooking Sunday and I could not get over how easy it was to maintain my fire all day. I even mentioned to Charette that for some reason my smoker got to temp increadably fast and easy. The chambers were all at a nice 230º lower down - 200º higher up. Never got too hot or any fast dips for that matter. I did not have to burn much fuel and the time I had to add was relativly long. Smoke most of the time was perfect blue. I knew I never had an easier time in the past and kept wondering. I did`nt think deep into it then. ............ Now I am.

That is WEIRD! I made a comment to my wife on Sunday during our cook that I didn't seem to be using NEAR as much charcoal as I normally go through. AND when we got back from our neighbor's house where we had all gathered for dinner, some four hours after the last meat came off, the pit temp was STILL at 210. The Spicewine is good but it's never done that good before. I also got a lot better smoke ring on the brisket than I normally do...

Bill-Chicago
09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
It was my pleasure Ron.

And QCzar, I left out one part of my cook.

While I was moping around the yard, reflecting on everything, talking and calling people, I started getting a bit depressed.

I was cooking, but then the thought came into my head that I probably wasn't going to eat it.

It was at that exact moment that "WHAP!", a farking yellow jacket tagged me in the neck.

Smacked it, ripped out the stinger, hurt like hell, and heard "e" laughing.

In his voice in my head: "Don't feel sorry for me brother, this will give you something else to think about. Now go eat"

It was the best damn ribs I ever cooked on the kettle. no lie.

SmokeInDaEye
09-05-2006, 11:57 AM
My heart goes out to Scott's entire family and to each of you who were touched by his life. Unfortunately we never met face-to-face, but I am glad that I found the Brethren in time to call him my brother.

Late Friday/early Saturday, I was sitting outside under the canopy, watching the rain, watching the temps on my smoker, and doing some random searches through the site.

I don't know what I typed in, but I came across the same post The Kapn had mentioned a little bit ago (http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17085) and was thinking how proud Scott was of his grandkid and how nice it was to be able to share that with him, even if we were half a country away.

And fortunately those memories are here forever so that some other guy (or girl) has the chance to randomly type something into the search box and discover a posting from a proud grandpa sharing a picture of his greatest joy.

Smoker
09-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Can someone get a small tribute forwarded to the KCBS and have it put in the BullSheet? Seems Scott deserved to be known to the rest of the BBQ world.

scottyd
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Thoughts and prayers for his family Scott Will be missed

BBQchef33
09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Can someone get a small tribute forwarded to the KCBS and have it put in the BullSheet? Seems Scott deserved to be known to the rest of the BBQ world.

i am allready working on this.. Was on the phone Carolynn Wells this morning and will be sending in a tribute to the Bullsheet.

offa1a
09-05-2006, 01:12 PM
A brother lost to us is one added in Heaven. God Bless Brother

chad
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks to Tim (Kapn) for finally getting hold of me yesterday...we were out of town and with all our kids...and to Phil and Bill for trying to contact me too.

Scott and I met at the Bash quite a few of the pics Phil posted are from...good memories. Seems he and I had crossed swords a few months prior to the Bash - so when we met we growled, sniffed each other's butt, and had a shot of Cabo - all was right in the world...I'll miss him, a lot.

I'll be in on PayPal but can't make the trip...as many have said, I'll be there in spirit.

Pig Headed
09-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for sharing some stories and memories. My thoughts and prayers for him and family.

Qczar
09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
That is WEIRD! I made a comment to my wife on Sunday during our cook that I didn't seem to be using NEAR as much charcoal as I normally go through. AND when we got back from our neighbor's house where we had all gathered for dinner, some four hours after the last meat came off, the pit temp was STILL at 210. The Spicewine is good but it's never done that good before. I also got a lot better smoke ring on the brisket than I normally do...

Sounds like the same experiance.

Everytime I put my beer down to take a look at my themometers, they read perfectly. Almost like they were frozen? I only added fuel when the fire box looked very low. When I did reload, no rise even. Sat back down and wondered who`s smoker is this ?????

brdbbq
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
So what is the story behind the turtles ?

BBQchef33
09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Fall Bash 2005. from how i remember, and its sketchy..

After a few hours of tequilla and beer. KC was on a roll. We were talking on how we were missing the mofos, kick, spice, etc.. It was shortly after that he stood up at the table.. with a significant wobble/sway to him... held his shot glass in the air and said .. "A toast!.. I love Jay Spicebag!"... We were in tears laughing so hard.. he was ranting and laughing and he started having some trouble with gravity.. ..While some brothers escorted him to his spot in the trailer... I think Kc must've spotted Gregs lawn knomes which number in the hundreds .. .. He started giving orders(Air force veteran coming out maybe).. he was streesing that if we all want to feel safe, that he we have to get the all the "turtles manning the perimeter". It went on for a bit.. get them turtles out..!! One of those crazy moments at a bash, that becomes classic..

Yakfishingfool
09-05-2006, 04:29 PM
As many of you know, earlier this year I had the opportunity to drive to KC to pick up my BYC. Even before that, Thillin had introduced me to the BYC and KCquer dropped me a pm offering hsi services. I graciously accepsted and asked if he would swing and check it out for me. His report was on the money and very accurate.

When I got to KC, Scott met me and my friend at the house to help load the BYC. I gave him a dozen fresh NY bagels and a set of chimes for his wife. He was very helpful and excited about smoking. He even gave me a few samples of some rubs and sauces. Great guy. We talked a bit and I knew he had some occaisional logger heads with some of the folks here, but he always stressed that this was the community to belong to for smoking.

Death is inevitable. And yet we are always so shocked when it happens. It is never the one dying that suffers but those of us left behind being selfish about not having more time with the person. KCquer is now in the place with good K, the freshest cuts, and the biggest assed smoker around. Burn a log and smoke a fatty for KCquer, then go and talk to you family and friends and especially those you're not so friendly with and tell them how you feel about them. Whether kidney failure or a sting ray spine in the heart, we are all here for only a blink in time. God Bless. Scott

Westexbbq
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately I never got to meet Scott but sure did enjoy his wisdom and comments in my brief time so far with the forum. Reading each and every thread today truly helps many of us learn about the man and all he stood for and how he has truly touched us all.
My sincere condolences to his family and may God Bless.

backyardchef
09-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Death is inevitable. And yet we are always so shocked when it happens. It is never the one dying that suffers but those of us left behind being selfish about not having more time with the person. KCquer is now in the place with good K, the freshest cuts, and the biggest assed smoker around. Burn a log and smoke a fatty for KCquer, then go and talk to you family and friends and especially those you're not so friendly with and tell them how you feel about them. Whether kidney failure or a sting ray spine in the heart, we are all here for only a blink in time. God Bless. Scott

Thanks for sharing your memories and feelings. With my mom being in and out of the hospital this last year and the losses of people close to me, sometimes it's hard to stay positive about things. I get so pissed off sometimes that life can give us such wonderful memories and then 'steal' the ones that helped us create them. I will never understand.....

butt head
09-05-2006, 07:01 PM
being new here i never had the chance to now scott. but from reading the post today it's very clear he was a class act. in his honor i would like the brethrens promition to add a small turtle with kcqer on it in the corner of my new team banner. John

2Fat
09-05-2006, 07:08 PM
This morning I received a phone call...

raising glasses to one of the good guys! <clink>

Buzz

Kevin
09-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Smoke on brother.

FatDad
09-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't know what to say.
I will miss his PM's and and late night wit.
My prayers are with his family and everyone he has touched.

FatDaddy
09-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I am Truly sorry for his familys loss. It is never easy. I allways enjoyed reading his posts through out the past 6-7 months. He will be missed.

Jason

Ron_L
09-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Fall Bash 2005. from how i remember, and its sketchy..

After a few hours of tequilla and beer. KC was on a roll. We were talking on how we were missing the mofos, kick, spice, etc.. It was shortly after that he stood up at the table.. with a significant wobble/sway to him... held his shot glass in the air and said .. "A toast!.. I love Jay Spicebag!"... We were in tears laughing so hard.. he was ranting and laughing and he started having some trouble with gravity.. ..While some brothers escorted him to his spot in the trailer... I think Kc must've spotted Gregs lawn knomes which number in the hundreds .. .. He started giving orders(Air force veteran coming out maybe).. he was streesing that if we all want to feel safe, that he we have to get the all the "turtles manning the perimeter". It went on for a bit.. get them turtles out..!! One of those crazy moments at a bash, that becomes classic..

That's pretty much how I remember it.

Bill-Chicago
09-05-2006, 08:39 PM
That's pretty much how I remember it.

But the "prelude" to the orders was forgotten!!!

He stumbled off the porch, and Neil (I think) and his wife said "someone better go check on him"

Well I went over to the side of Greg's house alone, and KC was sitting on what I knew was BigDog's van. I knew I was gonna need help, so I went back to the porch.

Someone shouted "well, how is he?"

"He's fine" I said, "He's over there pissing all over the side of his van. He was opening the door, I just hope he don't **** in there"

BigDog jumps up "That's My Van!!!"

I busted out laughing, and enlisted Dog to go help me get him in the trailer. That was the moment the "Lawn Gnome Turtle Force" was deployed

LOL. Laughter, the best medicine. He's laughing too.

SloppyQ
09-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Just found out about the sad news. Didn't know Scott personally but from everyones remarks wish I had. Will raise a toast to him Friday night at the Blaze Off.
Our Prayers will be with KC and his family.

Lee

Ron_L
09-05-2006, 08:54 PM

I had forgotten! Thanks again!

Solidkick
09-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Solidkick
This morning I received a phone call...

raising glasses to one of the good guys! <clink>

Buzz

Yep....we were going to meet up and visit you at the AR....someone said something about "home brew".......

Bigdog
09-05-2006, 09:05 PM

He stumbled off the porch, and Neil (I think) and his wife said "someone better go check on him"

Well I went over to the side of Greg's house alone, and KC was sitting on what I knew was BigDog's van. I knew I was gonna need help, so I went back to the porch.

Someone shouted "well, how is he?"

"He's fine" I said, "He's over there pissing all over the side of his van. He was opening the door, I just hope he don't **** in there"

BigDog jumps up "That's My Van!!!"

I busted out laughing, and enlisted Dog to go help me get him in the trailer. That was the moment the "Lawn Gnome Turtle Force" was deployed

LOL. Laughter, the best medicine. He's laughing too.

What a moment. Bill and I were standing there while brother e was taking a break from the long walk to the tailer (maybe all of 30 yds.) Anyway, e is either sitting down of leaning on my van when he mutters something about turtles manning the perimeter. I look at Bill and he gives me one of those what the fark looks and I must have given him the same silly look. We are both tying not to burst out in a gut busting laugh and get poor ole inebreated e to the trailer. Just as soon as we get the job done we both look at each other and start laughing all the way back to the porch where we share the story with the remaining drunks, I mean brothers, and we all laugh for a good long time. It was a brethren moment for sure. I will never forget the look on Bill's face when e said the now famous line. Thanks for the laugh e. Love ya bro.

Graytwhyte
09-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Never met him personally, but certainly will miss him. He was always eager to help out a brother. Prayers were and are sent to his family.

JohnMcD348
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I didn't know KC except from the posts I've read over the last year or so that I've been here. After I read the first post here, my heart sank. I read every post up to mine and got a little more choked up after each post from you guys who truly knew him.
I don't have words. My thoughts and prays are with the family.

DeanC
09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Thoughts and prayers to his family and many friends. Although I never met him, I exchanged several PM's with him on Saturday about pellets. I have read many of his posts, and it is obvious he was loved and will be missed. God Bless.

BBQ_MAFIA
09-05-2006, 09:27 PM
I never met Scott but alway enjoyed reading his posts.
May he rest in peace. Our prayers go to his family and loved ones.

Smoke-N-Jazz
09-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Mrs.Cook and family

My wife and I are sadden to hear of your lost.
if there is anything that we can do please e-mail us.
I know you are far away, but as God would do, we will reach
you in the time of need.

God Is With You
Be strong and courages,because you will lead these people (your family)
to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them.
Be strong and courageous, Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Doorbusters
09-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Any Brethren lost is a Brother gained, up above! I think he lived his "dash"!

rookiedad
09-05-2006, 10:18 PM
i never got a chance to meet Scott but i enjoyed reading his posts. from reading about him from those who knew him personally i felt i got a chance to know a great guy who brightened the days of those around him. my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

phil

Stachel
09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
kcquer,

Thanks for the help you gave.

May the wind be at your back.

parrothead
09-05-2006, 10:54 PM
being new here i never had the chance to now scott. but from reading the post today it's very clear he was a class act. in his honor i would like the brethrens promition to add a small turtle with kcqer on it in the corner of my new team banner. John
granted

parrothead
09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Any Brethren lost is a Brother gained, up above! I think he lived his "dash"!
Nicely said.

CarbonToe
09-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Being stuck on the other side of the pond I have never had the chance, nay privilege, to meet Scott.....and it's sorry to say I never will....

He's now moved on, and I hope he's BBQing with all the other fallen brothers.

nonthink
09-06-2006, 03:32 AM
I was very saddened to read about KC. He was full of nothing but good advise when he would respond to one of my threads. I learned much from him. I even used one of his rub recipes on my 1st rack of spares. Iím thankful that the BBQ Brethren exists so there will be an archive of KCís wisdom. My thoughts are with his family as I know how rough it is to have a family member pass.

beerguy
09-06-2006, 06:18 AM
Always enjoyed Scotts post and was amazed at how fast he seemed to answer a post, and especially a newbie. He will be missed. Reading all these posts with all the fond memories has been great. My wife and I would like to express our sympathy to Scotts family.

Sledneck
09-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by butt head

granted

How about a new line underneath it "fEAR THE TURTLE"

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Or: "The perimeter of this cook site is manned by turtles." May have to go get a few concrete ones. :smile:

BBQchef33
09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
Woke up this morning....and nothing changed.. and hes still gone.. Chit.

WTF? :frown:

backyardchef
09-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Woke up this morning....and nothing changed.. and hes still gone.. Chit.

WTF? :frown:

Phil, although I wasn't close to e, I woke up hoping the same thing...but no change...

Mark
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
I had some quality time driving with KCquer and Bigdog from STL to Greg's bash and back last year. He will be sorely missed. We talked alot but I didn't know anything about any health problems. Maybe I was grappling too much with my own.

Anyway, I was really hoping to tip a cold one with him this year at Gregs since I finally can again (but only 1 per week) Yesterday my Dr. said I have reached the goal of 6 months without any detectable Hep C virus. In honor of KCquer, I'll abstain till we can all tip one to him at Gregs.

PS: As the only sober person at Greg's last bash, I remember the turtle incident differently.

For more pics of Scott, go to:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album37&op=modload&file=index&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

VitaminQ
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Rest in Peace, KC.

He was a lucky man to have friends like you guys.

I have nothing else to say.

MikeG
09-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Chicago Bill just called to let me know. I am heart broken.
Scott always took time to help anyone who had an issue no
matter how small. What a heart he had for what we love to do.
My prayers are with the family.
Will see you on the other side my friend.
Mikeg
Selma AL

Trout_man22
09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Bill (WillKat) and I were talking last night about how Scott reached us each in differant ways. He was the person I turned to when I was so mad at people here. When you all would start on a rant. He would tell me to drink a beer and go fish it would be okay. When work was getting me down he would tell me to drink a beer and go fish it would be okay. He would call and ask how much somthing would cost I would have to tell him to drink a beer and to go fishing.

Scott was that little brother I never had. I'm just sorry that I put off calling him for the last month. I kept telling myself I was just too busy, I can never make it up to him. I well folks I will never too busy again. Scott, I love you Bro

rbinms33
09-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't know what to say. I didn't know Scott personally.....but I knew him. I knew him through all his posts that I've read and all the stories told about him. He was one of the good and very knowledgable brethren and will be sorely missed.

His family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

frognot
09-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Prayers go out to Scott's family.

Guess there are going to be some more blue smoke clouds in Heaven.

Rockaway BeachBQ
09-06-2006, 09:40 PM
My condolences to the friends and family of our much loved brother. I barely knew ya, but your presence will be missed.

Bill-Chicago
09-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I didnt see this specific item mentioned, but over and over in this thread I am reading how much Scott affected peoples lives by giving out sage advice.

I deal with adversity with humor.

I would use humor with Scott too, in PM, IM, and phone calls, when he was going through a rough time.

So I just stumbled across one of lifes little ironies.

Scott's final post on the forum was helping people out, offering up timely and sage advice.

So Scott, I find it ironic that it was This Thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=286520#post286520) that you chose to share your final words of wisdom.

Scott left us just hours after this post, but I am glad he posted in Wood Pile last, for thats what he helped make this place fun to come to.

Take care e

Trout_man22
09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
I found one more for brother Scott, Turtles manning the perimeter.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6246371434280754070&q=genre%3Aanimation+TURTLES

Puppyboy
09-06-2006, 11:03 PM
My prayers to family and friends.

bob n humble
09-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Didn't know him but our hearts & prayers go out to his family and friends.
Bob

TexasGuppie
09-07-2006, 08:07 AM
...I think of this poem my Grandma read to me years ago:

I'll Lend You A Child

by Edgar Guest

"I'll lend you for a little time a child of mine," He said.
For you to love - while he lives
And mourn for when he's dead.
It may be six or seven years
Or twenty-two or three,
But will you, till I call him back,
Take care or him for Me?
He'll bring his smiles to gladden you,
And should this stay be brief
You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to learn.
I've looked this world over
In search for teachers true,
And from the throngs that crowd
Life's lanes, I have selected you.
Now will you give him all your love,
Nor count the labor vain,
Nor hate Me when I come to call to
Take him back again?"
I fancied that I heard then say,
"Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
For all the joy Thy child shall bring,
The risk of grief we'll run.
We'll shelter him with tenderness,
We'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known
Forever grateful stay.
But should the angels call for him
Much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that come
And try to understand."

stan
09-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow! That is a great poem.

Bigdog
09-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Jeff mentioned something the other day about Scott's meticulous standards when making the baffle. He was a craftsman, more specifically a wood worker. He worked for a company that did custom cabinents for multi million dollar homes. You have to be fussy to satisfy that customer and that Scott was. His attention to detail is what set his apart from others. Curious thing though, when smoking meat, attention to detail is not always that critical of a thing, but it will insure consistancy of the final product.

This came into play last year when we were going to compete together. He got behind and things weren't coming together as he wished so we cancelled the competition. He either wanted to do it right or not at all. This is in direct contrast to another friend of mine that says let's just do it, or as they say: "get 'er done."

Jeff_in_KC
09-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Jeff mentioned something the other day about Scott's meticulous standards when making the baffle. He was a craftsman, more specifically a wood worker. He worked for a company that did custom cabinents for multi million dollar homes. You have to be fussy to satisfy that customer and that Scott was. His attention to detail is what set his apart from others. Curious thing though, when smoking meat, attention to detail is not always that critical of a thing, but it will insure consistancy of the final product.

This came into play last year when we were going to compete together. He got behind and things weren't coming together as he wished so we cancelled the competition. He either wanted to do it right or not at all. This is in direct contrast to another friend of mine that says let's just do it, or as they say: "get 'er done."

'Dog, that's probably the reason Scott and I never teamed up. He wanted to organize meticulously and I wanted to jump in with both feet. I'm detail oriented most of the time but I was in too big of a rush for Scott. He definitely had his one time table, didn't he? One of his good qualities! :wink:

Gatordawg
09-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Prayers go out to Scott's family.

Guess there are going to be some more blue smoke clouds in Heaven.

Amen, will be looking for those smoke clouds!!

Bub-Ba-Q
09-07-2006, 09:28 PM
A sad day indeed. My prayers go out to his family.

Bubba

Solidkick
09-07-2006, 11:50 PM
'Dog, that's probably the reason Scott and I never teamed up. He wanted to organize meticulously and I wanted to jump in with both feet. I'm detail oriented most of the time but I was in too big of a rush for Scott. He definitely had his one time table, didn't he? One of his good qualities! :wink:

Scott came down and cooked our first KCBS event with us.......we anyalized for weeks before the contest via PMs and emails, and we had never even met until the day he pulled up in his pickup with cooker in the back end. We dabbled in some combinations of sauces, came up with one we agreed on, did our cooking thing and turned it in.....3rd place pork and 2nd place brisket (I think that's right, Scott always corrected me) first time out of the gate. He was hooked, but always wanted to be the best that he could be. So if he didn't cook with you, it was probably because of himself and not who he was to cook with.

Let me say this as well.....I cook briskets at the competitons, but I don't cook briskets...KC cooks the briskets, as he has taught me everything I know about cooking a brisket. Before our first contest, I had cooked exactly one brisket. Hours upon hours of conversation. Ain't a thing I could change that could make a difference, so I don't....sometimes I hit the top ten, sometimes I don't...but that's brisket cooking!

PimpSmoke
09-08-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm at a loss. Have been out of the fray for awhile with the wedding and now this.

The Brethren have truly lost an important link in the chain of Brotherhood.

Smoke up a storm Scott, whever you are, you will be missed by many.

I know who I'll be thinking of the rest of this week and a long time to come.

ggeilman
09-08-2006, 04:33 PM
My condolences to the family.

sfisch
09-08-2006, 10:28 PM
I've been out of town this week too and just read the posts, We'll be minus a brother posting here but those of you who knew him best can continue in and with his spirit. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Scott

thunter
09-08-2006, 11:44 PM
So sorry to hear this news. My prayers go out to his family.

Tony

bbqinNC
09-10-2006, 10:56 AM
While I don't know him, my condolences to his family.

butts
09-10-2006, 01:17 PM
My prayers go out to his family.

I'm sorry I never got to meet him.

Chris Nickelson
09-17-2006, 07:55 PM
I never got to meet KC, but he was one of the first to welcome me here to the forum. From the comments here, it seems I missed meeting a very inportant person from the bbq community. Our prayers go out to his family and friends.

Chris.
Dodge County Smokers

BBQchef33
09-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Brethren,

We have collected almost $2000 dollars for KC. I have been in contact with the family for direction on how they wanted to use the money, be it a trust for their grandchild or a cash infusion for expenses. We were holding off to see what was needed and how much we would have at the end.

Last night I recieved a phone call from the KCs wife that they need to use the money to cover expenses left behind by KC. I will be transferring the money to Jeanne late today or tomorrow morning. So, if any of you would like to further contribute to our memorial fund for KCquer, Pleease use our paypal account or contact me thru PM.

the paypal accout is at www.paypal.com (http://www.paypal.com) and the account ID is banderabros@optonline.net.

I truly thank everyone who contributed to this allready. KC's family is going thru some VERY rough times right now and these funds will really help them. The support offered by our family here, to KC's family truely showed me, and us what this group really is made of. In the early days, we coined the term, The Spirit of The Brethren, which meant friendship and comaradirie... but now, it had proven what it really is.. Family. we laugh, play around, have fun together but also share in the tears and sorrow of our brothers here to.. KC is proud of us. He knows we're here for his family and will continue to be. They still need us, for they are going thru some rough times.. Take a moment out today to say a few prayers for them.

thanks again to everyone.

BBQchef33
10-03-2006, 01:48 PM
today makes it a month since we lost KCQuer. I will be having a a slow drink tonight with a few moments of my own silence to tie up all that transpired this path month.. your all welcome to join me. I will be adding a few videos of the tree planting ceremony and photos to the memorial page also.

I just returned from the bank where, on our behalf, I wired $2,500.00 to KC's family to help in funeral expenses. I spoke to Jeanne and she told me that anything that is left, she will donate to the childrens hospital that takes care of their grandkids.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to KCs memorial fund. Jeanne has sent her heartfelt appreciation..

I too am proud to be one of you, and for KC to be one of us..

thanks again my brothers....

and Smoke on KC!.

MilitantSquatter
10-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Poob - thanks for coordinating the donation... I'm glad we, as a group, were able to make a generous donation to provide some support...

Cuelio
10-12-2006, 02:34 PM
I didn't know . . . I'm sorry to you all for not keeping up.

I just found out and am at a complete loss. Scott pmd me occassionally, jsut to see how I was doing. I sent him a message on his last birthday and he told me what his family was doing for him. He was such a loving guy. Such a terrific grand dad. So helpful. He personally invited me to to one of the bashes, and that meant a lot to me. I can't type anymore.

Arlin_MacRae
10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
No worries, Cuelio. It just sucks that this sad news keeps hitting and affecting the brothers that first read about it. If you haven't already, hit the link in many of our signature blocks for E's memorial page. It'll make you feel better.

Arlin

Bigdog
10-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I didn't know . . . I'm sorry to you all for not keeping up.

I just found out and am at a complete loss. Scott pmd me occassionally, jsut to see how I was doing. I sent him a message on his last birthday and he told me what his family was doing for him. He was such a loving guy. Such a terrific grand dad. So helpful. He personally invited me to to one of the bashes, and that meant a lot to me. I can't type anymore.
Don't feel bad about not keeping up. We are the one's who are sorry that you heard about it this way. I too learned about it by reading post. Totally floored me.

As for your comments, you have it right on the money. He was a very caring guy and would do anything for you. Too bad that you were not able to make it to the bash. Maybe next time. It will be in Missouri for the Midwest Bash.

Nice to see you posting again.

Solidkick
08-31-2007, 06:55 PM
It's hard to believe that on Monday it will be a year since we lost our brother. There's not a week go by that I don't think of him 2 to 3 times.

If you get a chance to cook this weekend, I hope you get a chance to stop and raise your bottle, can or glass to the sky and say "KC, this one's for you"....or "miss you brother"....or "any wood is good for smoking, as long as it's cherry".

KC, you was a good friend....and you taught me alot about cooking brisket...

I love you man.......

BBQchef33
08-31-2007, 07:25 PM
here here..

I was thinking the same thing this past week....

and of what to do.

its been a year..

We SHOULD do something in memory of..

How about this, if I may propose something..

It is something anyone who understands our culture can participate in. Even if you did not know KC, or if your not cooking, anyone who has become a part of us can imagine whats its like to loose a brother in smoke.

Tuesday .. anytime.. in the morning, or after work..

just light a candle in memory of KCQuer.

If you want, Take a picture of it, place it here in this thread. Personalize it if u want.. even write a note.. i will append it to the memorial page (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/kcquer.htm).

Loosing KC was hard..to this day, the memories of that week still hit home.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/tears.jpg

Bigmista
08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
It's funny, I still have his number in my cell and almost dial it sometimes.

nthole
08-31-2007, 09:41 PM
I got me some cherry wood just coming into seasoned. Guess there's no question what's on the pit this weekend.

KC and I were two of the first Mo Bros. He used to send me emails when I'd dissappear for a while asking where I was. And to the day he left us I always called him KCQueer. Never met, but he was nice as hell to me in our little virtual world. Guess that was my loss.

parrothead
08-31-2007, 10:14 PM
Thought about him hard last week. I guess I know why now. Wasn't even thinking about the time frame. I send him a PM every once in awhile. Glad they are still going through. Hope he has unlimited PM space.

parrothead
08-31-2007, 10:16 PM
I will raise a glass to our friend this weekend! Please join me whenever the moment strikes you. Just raise it in the air and there will be a virtual brother hoisting one at the same time with you in celebration of KC's life.

Ron_L
08-31-2007, 10:41 PM
I will definitely toast to Scott this weekend! There's some Cabo around here somewhere.

Greg... How about a picture of the tree?

parrothead
09-01-2007, 07:35 AM
If I make it home before dark and remember to take my camera with me.

CajunSmoker
09-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I've been saving my last chunk of cherry for a couple of months for this weekend. I'll be sure and raise my glass also.

Trout_man22
09-01-2007, 03:08 PM
It's funny, I still have his number in my cell and almost dial it sometimes.

Me too, I'm getting a new number and phone his will be the first I put in.

Any wood is good, as long as it's cherry.

big brother smoke
09-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Starting splitting Cherry today for next season! Thought about KC and came in to take a break and check this thread! I am sure he is enjoying the smell of the fresh cherry.

Solidkick
09-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for your posts brothers....I too still have his phone numbers in my cell phone and just can't bring myself to take them out. Saturday mornings are still tough...we talked every weekend....I'll lighting a candle and burning a cherry chunk in his memory....

keale
09-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Although I've never knew KC, I know him now from all of your posts and memories! From all I've read, He was an exceptional person, very respected, and a true friend.
I will take time to remember him.

frognot
09-02-2007, 01:46 PM
i'm another person who never got to meet KC except via cyberspace. He was the the second person to welcome me to this site (Bill got in that first Howdy) and i always enjoyed his comments & PMs.

Hard to believe it's been a year.

"Any wood is good for smoking, as long as it's cherry." KC

bbqbull
09-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I am raising a glass in KC's memory as we speak.

May God rest his soul.

The Anchorman
09-02-2007, 10:30 PM
May he rest and be at peace.

tonto1117
09-03-2007, 07:32 AM
I will definitely toast to Scott this weekend! There's some Cabo around here somewhere.

Greg... How about a picture of the tree?

I too unfortunatley never had the opportunity to meet or talk to Scott, but have enjoyed and learned a great deal from reading his many posts.....he indeed sounded like a wonderfull friend and a true brother in smoke.

Myself and husband had the great pleasure of raising a toast with Poobah this past weekend to the Brethren.....and Scott. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all today who are missing a wonderfull friend and brother.

Sledneck
09-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Alot of things brethren have changed since scotts passing. I know i have grown alot closer to alot of my brothers and sisters . Alot of the events we have done and the things we do for each other have more meaning. I think he would be proud of us.

MilitantSquatter
09-03-2007, 10:21 AM
I recall this day last year.. Aside from the initial shock of how it unfolded, the two things that hit home most were were the video of the Brethren who went to the Bass Pro contest with "Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd played at the end while the chiney starter was raised in Scott's honor as well as the Green Day song " Time of your Life" Jorge posted.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/kcquer.htm

Rest in peace brother..

ggriffi
09-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I had been here about two months when KC passed and I didn't really know what to say or how to say it. I wasn't just gonna post an "I feel your pain" type of response because I didn't feel it was approriate being a real noob and all, but I did know that a lot of you did feel that. You know though, in the little over one year that I have been here and read the "roadmaps' or would be reading an older post that had some words of wisdom,sarcasm from him I got to know him a little bit. To all of you here that knew the man personally I do feel you pain.Just remember this, that those of us who didn't know him will get to read his words here and benefit.

gary

jpw23
09-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I was thinking about KC today, I did not know him as well as I would have liked to. I did and still do enjoy his posts and miss him not being around. Here's to you Scott, I managed to find some cherry wood and did a little cook in your honor.

Bigdog
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I think about him every day as I keep a turtle on my dashboard to "man the perimeter."8-)

jt
09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
I think of E every week and whenever someone resurrects a thread that he started I read the entire thing. There's cherry wood seasoning in the back yard and when the house is built there will be cherry trees planted.

Love ya bro.

Cuelio
09-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Last week, I fired up the pit and thought of him as I watched the sweet blue drift and dissappear into the wind. Scott was there.

backyardchef
09-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Threw on the briskets this weekend over a bunch of cherry wood and let the smoke cover me for a few hours. Talked to Jorge on the phone for a while and as the sun set on me in the back yard and the last lightening bugs flickered sporadically, I had a feeling KC was doin' just fine wherever he is......

PimpSmoke
09-12-2007, 08:25 PM
The anni made me think of the tree planting. After the bash, I caught myself siging the Green Day song to myself alot, and trying to figure the chords.

I am sure E is watching everything and approves.

bigabyte
09-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I never knew Scott. This is a great thread though. Very touching read.

BigAl
09-23-2007, 09:45 PM
I have not been on the site much in the last coupe of years, but today I enjoyed being on the site and reading a lot of the post until I got this one, now I am sad for not checking in more often....what a loss....I was wondering why I had not seen any of his post....

We had a lot of good times when he was here.....

He asked me to make a basket for his Qer, I bought the parts,,,,but never got around to making it for him...damn.

backyardchef
09-24-2007, 04:56 PM
After my mom passed away, all I could think about was getting outside and starting a fire in the pit-- I didn't need to cook, but just smell the smoke. In her last few days, I was putting a fire in a cooker just to have something to do....

Over this past weekend, I finally got the chance to load up the Klose with nothing but Cherry (here's to you, K.C.!) and begin my meditation sequence of throwing on the sticks, watching the smoke and taking a deep whiff from the stack every now and then.

That smell of wood burning is timeless-- transports me back to almost every fall evening when the fireplaces are roaring and you imagine everyone cozy inside...Long walks in cold, empty streets when that smell is the only reminder of life....

It transports me and my mind away from the day to day....and allows me to remember good times before and to have faith that there will be more to come...

I'm rambling and fumbling to say that I want to believe life (or something like it) extends well beyond the years we have on this Earth, and when that blue smoke rose against the setting sun, my eyes teared up for my loss, and that of so many others......for those that are lost or struggling. We honor them by keeping these traditions alive.

Whenever I smell the smoke, I know there is no way I could ever forget.......

SmokeInDaEye
09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
After my mom passed away, all I could think about was getting outside and starting a fire in the pit-- I didn't need to cook, but just smell the smoke. In her last few days, I was putting a fire in a cooker just to have something to do....

Over this past weekend, I finally got the chance to load up the Klose with nothing but Cherry (here's to you, K.C.!) and begin my meditation sequence of throwing on the sticks, watching the smoke and taking a deep whiff from the stack every now and then.

That smell of wood burning is timeless-- transports me back to almost every fall evening when the fireplaces are roaring and you imagine everyone cozy inside...Long walks in cold, empty streets when that smell is the only reminder of life....

It transports me and my mind away from the day to day....and allows me to remember good times before and to have faith that there will be more to come...

I'm rambling and fumbling to say that I want to believe life (or something like it) extends well beyond the years we have on this Earth, and when that blue smoke rose against the setting sun, my eyes teared up for my loss, and that of so many others......for those that are lost or struggling. We honor them by keeping these traditions alive.

Whenever I smell the smoke, I know there is no way I could ever forget.......

Matt, that's truly an unforgetable sentiment. I've written and erased 10 lines now because I know I can never say the right thing, but your strength continues to inspire me and makes me want for more each day.

Oddly enough, after a long week of work and too many problems, I came home tonight to the smell of burning wood. All I wanted was to sit outside, smell, and reflect. Meanwhile my wife thought there was a house on fire...

Bill-Chicago
08-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Been thinking about this alot lately

And in rereading here, others mention loss too.

I won't forget you Scott, and I was laughing to myself (while laying flooring) thinking about you.

I was cutting boards, and thought of you (the craftsman)

I figured you were watching, and laughing, and saying "what a city boy putz"

What can I say.

Cutting a turtle is tough

Miss you bro!

backporchbbq
09-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I didn't know him, but it tears my heart to know we have lost a brother. My thoughts are with his family and friends. May he rest in peace, smoke on brother smoke on.

smoke it if ya got it
08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I didnt know him but a freind of Q is a freind of mine. Just think it's always BBQ season now.

Bill-Chicago
09-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I still miss ya, e.

Think about you alot, especially this time of year.

Fix the pit area up nice for us when we get there.

We'll talk again one day brother....

SmokeInDaEye
09-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Man. I'm amazed how fast time has passed. I still wish I had found the brethren earlier and had gotten to know KC better.

BBQ Grail
09-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm off to the store tonight for a pork butt...already got me some Cherry wood chunks. You guys know the rest...

Smoke on Scott...

big brother smoke
09-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Cherry will be a big part of my weekend smoking for sure!

SweEt Blue

bbqbull
09-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I remember that day...........Kinda kicks my birthday joy right in the throat.

RIP Brother Scott!

MilitantSquatter
09-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Wow.. still hard to believe it's been three years.

I just went to the KC's memorial page (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/kcquer.htm) to see his pic, re-read the messages..

That Green Day song Jorge submitted really gets me.

Miss ya KC !!

WannaBeBBQueen
09-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Smoke on brother...wow three years

txschutte
09-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Man. I'm amazed how fast time has passed. I still wish I had found the brethren earlier and had gotten to know KC better.
I know what you mean. If you go to many of the older threads, he's there, giving advice, cutting up, and just plain being a Brother. He set the bar high. Even though I didn't know him until after he passed, it seems that he is still here.

FatDaddy
09-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Will definitely hoist a few for KC this weekend. Can't believe it has been 3 yrs now..

Solidkick
09-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Teresa and I cooked 4 butts and 3 briskets (Fat cap up!), with, of course, cherry wood. I was amazed at how the cooker was dialed in, Teresa says "KC's minding the pit, let's go to bed." I get up 4 hours later to check things, pit is still locked in at the temp it was at when I went to bed.........Scott and I were close, and there is not a week go by I don't think about him.....Miss ya Brother!

jt
09-05-2009, 11:51 PM
E, I miss you my brother.

Ron_L
09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Wow! Has it been that long already? I remember when Greg called me with the bad news. It seems like it was just the other day.

Every time I cook with cherry I think of Scott. Also every time we have Chicago-style deep dish pizza I think of Scott. Some of our best conversations were about his quest to duplicate Chicago style pizza at home. I wish he had been able to spend some time in Chicago visiting some of the pizza places that we talked about.

CajunSmoker
09-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Teresa and I cooked 4 butts and 3 briskets (Fat cap up!), with, of course, cherry wood. I was amazed at how the cooker was dialed in, Teresa says "KC's minding the pit, let's go to bed." I get up 4 hours later to check things, pit is still locked in at the temp it was at when I went to bed.........Scott and I were close, and there is not a week go by I don't think about him.....Miss ya Brother!
I alway's think of KC on labor day. My laptop
randomly generated a playlist yesterday and my turtle was smilingf:-).

Bigdog
09-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Scott and I were close, and there is not a week go by I don't think about him.....Miss ya Brother!

I know that Bro. We talked about it and he had the upmost respect for you. :icon_cool

Solidkick
09-03-2010, 05:47 AM
I miss you brother.....

thunter
09-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Rest in peace Scott! My prayers go out to all the family and friends.

Bill-Chicago
09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Was thinking of Scott just this morning when taking a pork butt out of the freezer for the Labor Day weekend.

Still remember the call.

jt
09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Pork butts are done, E. There will be beer raised in your honor tonight.

Love you, bro.

PimpSmoke
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Cheers Scott

big brother smoke
09-03-2010, 05:12 PM
In Orlando, went and got a pork loin. I cut it into chops and will be grilling cherry chops with cherry chips!

E equals sweet bluE

BobBrisket
09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
RIP Scott. Keep watching over all of us. Heading up to the mountains for the weekend. Got a bag of cherry wood chips I'll be taking with me. Thinking maybe some cherry smoke chicken and sausage. Never got to meet you, but feels like I've already known you a lifetime, Brother.

Bob

Jeff S.
09-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Chicken about to go on. Two cherry wheels throwing sweet blue.

Cheers Scott!

Jeff

frognot
09-03-2010, 10:37 PM
My son & i cooked ribeyes tonight using cherry wood and a toast is raised to Scott, who still lives on with The Brethren.

Ron_L
09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I added extra cherry pellets into both the FEC and the Memphis Pro. I hope Scott is watching over us for this competition!

The turtles are manning the perimeter, Brother!

Miss ya E!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokeInDaEye
09-04-2010, 12:19 AM
Here are some of the best pics to add in to the post whenever it goes out front.

I miss him already. A lot.

The loss of a brother four years ago still feels as real to me today as it did then and to look back at these pics reinforces why I am still here. Four years ago, I felt like a dumb Texas boy trying to hold my own against a click of bbq guys on the interwebs.

Then I started my smoker outside the garage to cook some meat based off of a couple tips I had picked up at my new favorite site, bbq brethren, and spent the night watching the pit, reading back through threads that I hadn't been part of. I remember reading stories of Scott and his grandkids that night and thinking how good it was to be part of his/our family. A racoon attacked me, I got my cook done (using apple at the time but cherry since), and I have continued to grow and learn thanks to scott and the legacy he left us. After I eventually heard the news, I remember walking in to my bedroom in tears, trying to explain to my wife what had happened. But she understood. My passion for my friends here is beyond words.

Jeff S.
05-06-2011, 11:13 PM
After talking to Captain Ron, I have decided to change the team name to Sweet Blue Que.

I see it as a tribute to a great man, who made many friends in Que, both on and offline.

I will conduct myself as a Bretheren should, and anyone cooking with me will do the same.

Sweet Blue Que took a third place overall in a local comp last Saturday!

Our New banner

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae162/DaddysButtRub/Proof.png

Jeff S.

Solidkick
09-04-2011, 10:50 AM
This morning I received a phone call...you know the kind that you know could come at anytime but it's always the furthest thought in your mind....a phone call letting you know that a family member or friend has gone to glory.....

I just spoke with him on the phone about 45 minutes yesterday. He had been having some health problems with his kidneys and had had some test run last week. We talked about his health, his Dr., then cooking, then grandkids.....he seemed to be in great spirits, all things considered.....

I received a phone call this morning on my cell phone....by the time I got to it, I could see it was from KC, but was in the process of leaving a message....I call my voice mail, and it's Jean's voice.....my heart sank immediately...message was to call as soon as I got the message....

Scott had his truck and trailer over at a storage facility....they were getting ready to build some new units and had called Scott to have him move them to a different location on the property...Jean said he went out the door with a tire pump cause a tire was low on the trailer, and some jumper cables in case the truck wouldn't start....and he went out the door with a smile on his face.....he wasn't back home after an hour and a half, so she goes over to the storage facility....she meets an ambulance at the entrance...leaving...she said she knew it was Scott....but unfortunately Scott wasn't in it....he was pronounced dead at the scene by the coroner's office. Autopsy results have not been released as of yet, but indications lean towards a massive stroke or heart attack.

Jean and family are to meet with the funeral home this afternoon for final arrangements and I will pass these along as I get them....

Five years ago today I wrote this post...on a Labor Day weekend. I still think of you, my brother....and I don't cook a brisket that I don't think of our hours of conversation. I plan to light a chimney of cherry in your honor later tonight.

Rest In Peace my friend!

nthole
09-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow...five years. Perhaps a turtle will man the perimeter tonight around my pits. Rest in peace indeed.

Ron_L
09-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I still remember the call from Greg (Parrothead) with the sad news. It's rare that I don't use cherry in my smoker in honor or Scott! I still have the cherry wheel 'toilet paper' that he brought to Greg's house for everyone!

Here's the tree that we planted at Greg's old house in E's honor...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/Fall%20Bash%202006/IMG_1438.jpg

And here is Phil sharing a shot of Cabo with E...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/Fall%20Bash%202006/IMG_1435.jpg

bbqbull
09-04-2011, 12:30 PM
R.I.P. brother Scott.

big brother smoke
09-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Rest in Peace indeed!

frognot
09-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Hard to believe it's been six years.

Continued prayers for Scott's family and friends.

Arlin_MacRae
09-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Aye..... :-(