PDA

View Full Version : Brethren Rule New Holland

Pig Headed
08-26-2006, 07:05 PM
The Brethren were well represented at New Holland.

Grand: Team Agave
Reserve: Lost Nation

I don't remember all the Brethren who walked, but Vinny & Sean of Bad Bones walked twice.
Pigs On the Run walked.

I had a great time meeting Guy, Steve, Rich, Sean and Vinny and judging some good food.

Sawdustguy
08-26-2006, 10:26 PM
For a new team, Bad Bones BBQ Crew is hot! New Holland is the largest contest in the Northeast and it is only Vinny's 3rd contest ever. To take home a 10th place overall finish is absolutely outstanding and we should all be proud of him.

kcquer
08-26-2006, 11:10 PM
New Holland is the largest contest in the Northeast and it is only Vinny's 3rd contest ever. To take home a 10th place overall finish is absolutely outstanding and we should all be proud of him.

I'll give that a "hell yeah!!" Great job, congrats to all.

Smoker
08-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Way to go Vinny and Sean. I wonder if he followed my advice on ribs that I gave him. Hmmmmmmm

MrSmoker
08-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Congrats Brothers WTG.

Sawdustguy
08-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Vinny got calls on pork and brisket.

Solidkick
08-27-2006, 08:29 AM
WTG all and way to represent!

Q Haven
08-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Congrats to Steve and to Rich Decker!

CTSmokehouse
08-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Way to go Brethren! You all should be very proud. Hope the weather is better there than it is here.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sawdustguy
08-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I am also happy with my scores. The Polocks did a 619.4284 overall but in this contest it was only good enough for 21st place. The level of competition was extremely high so we are extremely happy with a 619.4284 and 21st out of 72 teams in our 4th contest ever. Since this was our last contest of the season I to thank everyone here for the support especially our mentor Gary (Solidkick). Gary's work with us will continue as he will teach us how to become aces on a Spicewine Cooker. A better mentor you will not find and we are thankful he has taken the time to take us under his wing.

BBQchef33
08-27-2006, 09:14 AM
yeah!!!! What they said.. Congrats to Steve and Rich for GC/RGC and Vinny for getting in there.. but i think he took 9th overall.. not 10th.. He called me ysterday after the contest. I was in the middle of my kids 15th b-day party so didnt get a chance to get on and post.. but im pretty sure it was a 9th overall with a 7th and 10th walk in pork and brisket.

then again, i may be totally wacked.... :) Congrats to all u guys!!!

Sledneck
08-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Congrats boys, badbones up there in the top ten with some pretty big names.

Sledneck
08-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Chicken
1 Pennsylvania Porkmeister
2 Philly Pigs
3 Hog Heads
4 Tarheel Smokers
5 Go Big
6 Team Agave
7 Dixie Bones
8 3 Eyz
9 Taste-Liss Cookers
10 Jerry Elliott's

Ribs
1 S&S Grilling
2 Dizzy Pig
3 Hog Tails
4 Pig Pen
5 Taste-Liss Cookers
6 Shenadoah Q Crew
7 Crispy Critters
8 Boo Boo and Scoot
9 Lost Nation
10 Lo-N-Slo

Pork
1 Lost Nation
2 Smokey T's
3 Ribs Within
4 Tarheel
5 Midnite SMokers
6 Team Agave
7 Philly Pigs
8 Brick Beach
9 Shenandoah Q Crew
10 Bad Bones

Brisket
1 Team Agave
2 Smokey Ts
3 Ribs Within
4 3 Eyz
5 Jack's Down Home
6 Lost Nation
7 Bad Bones
8 Wild Bill
9 Tarheel
10 Ribn' It

Overall
1 Team Agave
2 Lost Nation
3 Tarheel Smokers
4 Philly Pigs
5 Smokey T's
6 Ribs WIthin
7 Dizzy Pig
8 Shenandoah Q Crew
9 Dixie Bones
10 Bad Bones

Bigmista
08-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Vinny got calls on pork and brisket.

Must not have trimmed the ribs like I taught him. :lol:

Great job guys! I'm proud of you!

Pig Headed
08-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I also want to send a big congrats to Kyle of 2 Fat Polocks who I believe took a first in Chefs Choice in Kids Q.

Sawdustguy
08-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I also want to send a big congrats to Kyle of 2 Fat Polocks who I believe took a first in Chefs Choice in Kids Q.

Thank you for reminding me. My nephew Kyle took first place in Beef in the kids Q competition. We are all very proud of him, but the little chit was quick to remind us that he was the first one to win a catagory for our team. We are still very proud of him but he left New Holland with his mouth duct taped shut.:wink:

Ron_L
08-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Congrats to everyone! Sounds like a great competition.

Sledneck
08-27-2006, 10:23 AM
I think a fEAR THE PIG chant will soon be heard at many contests

Sawdustguy
08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Congratulations to Rick Decker of Lost Nation for his RGC at New Holland. What a way to finish up your season. A really nice guy and a great team. I also think my brother may be in love with him.

http://www.2fatpolocksbbq.com/webimages/gary.jpg

djmarko
08-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Congratulations to all the Brethren. Vinny, great job. There's no stopping you now.

Sawdustguy
08-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Rich,

The chicken was not DQ'ed and did well for us with a 162.2858.

bbqjoe
08-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Congrats GUYS!

djmarko
08-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Rich,

The chicken was not DQ'ed and did well for us with a 162.2858.

Good deal Guy. Like we had talked about, now you have set a precedent for the future. Sorry I didn't get back to see you on Saturday.

Sawdustguy
08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
No problem Rich. We were very worried about you and your family because we heard from my mother-in-law that an F0 tornado touched down in Massapequa on Friday.

MilitantSquatter
08-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone... Just got done unloading..We stayed overnight in a local hotel.. A very wet ride home with an open trailer with a tarp that was not waterproof.

We were more than pleased with our results... The official results have us listed as 10th, but we actually had the exact same score as the ninth place team of 630.2858. Linda Mullane of KCBS told me afterward that there is currently not a great way of deciding an overall tie and may usually be decided by a coin toss. So, unofficially, Sean and I are claiming a tie for 9th place instead of 10th which is still awesome. Inidividual categories take into account the 6th judges scores, but overall in not so easy per Linda.

10th in pork and 7th in brisket... We thought our pork was good as it got calls in our first two contests, but with a field of 72, top 25 would have been good. When we got called for pork we were happy. Brisket was a real surprise at 7th place. We went with two totally new recipes for brisket and picked the better of the two. New recipes for ribs as well and got 20th in ribs which is much better than our 30 and 35 placings in the two smaller contests. Just needed to cook a bit more.Got 45th in chicken. Excellent scores in appearance and taste but the tenderness was not there and we knew it. The drumsticks were much larger than usual and they did not cook as long as we wanted but ran out of time to cook any longer even at a higher temp.

Great contest...well run...very fun..much like Highland the week before but bigger. Got to meet some new Brethren - Got to spend some time and share a beer with Ron(pigheaded) who judged as well as meeting Kirk withstopped by with his family.... Always a pleasure seeing Rich (djmarko) and his wife who was the official timekeeper while Rich judged.

Congrats to Steve for the GC and Rich for the RGC. Rich is truly a gentleman. He makes cooking at a contest look like a piece of cake. Never any pressure, always cool, calm and collected... Rich brought over his rib samples after that turn in.... perfect.... no other words to describe. I told Rich it was a shame he wasted his best rack on samples and he came back with "Those were our third best rack"....

Did not get to spend much time walking around as we had our wives in the tent and one was on crutches from a recent surgery...

Thanks again for all the conrgrats...

Our rookie 2006 season is complete... Only three contests and got walks in all of them and actually have some awards now to put out on a table in the front tent !!! More than I could have expected and Sean and I owe a lot of thanks for all the little advice here and there from many of you either in person or from posts here on the board.

Sawdustguy
08-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Vinny,

You have had a story book start. Some teams would kill for the start you have enjoyed. You have handled it with modesty in a real gentlemenly fashion. We are so happy for you and we have been thrilled watching it happen. Keep up doing what you are doing and you will be the team to beat in short order. We hope you enter many more contests next year because we can only see you and Sean getting better.

Gary, Ruth, Kyle, Cole, Michele and Guy

cmcadams
08-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Great job everyone! Glad to see brethren teams cleaning up!

MilitantSquatter
08-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Here's our turn in boxes... I also included our sausage entry (pepper & onion sausage patty from Salpino's Italian Specialty store in N. Babylon, Long Island) and our chef's Choice entry - a boneless ribeye brushed with seasoned oil and rosemary....

LostNation
08-28-2006, 04:57 AM
Thanks everyone for their well wishes. New Holland is my favorite contest and one we seem to score well in each year. Congratulations to Steve, that long ride just seemed to get shorter, an awesome job re-peating in the North East's biggest contest. A great job for Vinny getting two nice calls and to Guy fora top third finish, those were no small feats.

Here is a link to the pictures from NH. also their are pictures of our mascot and my new cherry pile.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=l16g4dw.a3jubqb8&Uy=y8v0tt&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

Kirk
08-28-2006, 07:28 AM
Wow! Awesome job guys, an excellent day for the Brethren! We came out to get a look around for next year's contest and had a great time meeting some of the crew. My 7 month old son was really hamming it up for the ladies Saturday and he got a lot of attention so I know he had a good time too. I really enjoyed meeting Vinny and Sean, Rich from Lost Nation and Chris from Pigs by the Moon. Guy, it looked like you were taking a well needed nap when we wandered past your site so we just said a quick "Howdy" to the rest of your bunch. I am so looking forward to getting out there with you guys next time around. Looks like I'll have to bring my "A game" though, the competition looks tough! Congrats again to all who were there representing the Brethren.

gman
08-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Congrats to all....

Vinny, What's your secret??

Smoker
08-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Congrats to all....

Vinny, What's your secret??

It's no secret..........

..............Lots of practice and dedication.

Westexbbq
08-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Congratulations to all. Wish I had been there but got in too late for judging.
Hope to make it next year for sure.

Kirk
08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
It's no secret...Lots of practice and dedication.
And a C-note taped under each turn in box. :wink:
J/K Vinny, nice job.

SmokeInDaEye
08-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Man. I was having trouble getting web access the past couple days but was pleasantly surprised to pull this up. Quite a weekend for the brethren! Congrats to everyone, especially Bad Bones for knocking them dead 3 out of 3. Just wait until next year, Vinnie. First place is getting closer each time out...

So for those who did Hudson Valley last week and New Holland this weekend, what's your top pick of the two (individual showings at either not factored, of course. Just based on the events themselves)?

Believe it or not, I'm already thinking about next year and want to do one of the two but it would be impossible to pull them both off if they are back-to-back again.

Sawdustguy
08-29-2006, 07:59 AM
I wasn't at the Hudson Valley Ribfest but it is gonna be tuff to beat a 72 team event that was run like a well oiled machine. If they had the space they could have easily handled 100 teams.

brian j
08-29-2006, 02:34 PM
congrats to steve and rich. you guys kicked butt.

steve - good luck to you in reno.

Pig Headed
08-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Brian,

I bet your feet haven't touched the ground since Stevensville. You're on a roll man, keep it up.

nancee
08-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Great job my friends...congrats to Steve and Rich...
nancee

MilitantSquatter
08-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Man. I was having trouble getting web access the past couple days but was pleasantly surprised to pull this up. Quite a weekend for the brethren! Congrats to everyone, especially Bad Bones for knocking them dead 3 out of 3. Just wait until next year, Vinnie. First place is getting closer each time out...

So for those who did Hudson Valley last week and New Holland this weekend, what's your top pick of the two (individual showings at either not factored, of course. Just based on the events themselves)?

Believe it or not, I'm already thinking about next year and want to do one of the two but it would be impossible to pull them both off if they are back-to-back again.

I really enjoyed both events... I would give New Holland an edge over Hudson Valley for the team count being larger and no flies/bugs all weekend and they delivered ice directly to the site upon request). Aside from those three things everything else was fairly consistent (ex. similar entry fees,well run/organized and lots of help from staff, sites on grass settings, clean bathrooms, some type of breakfast, access to showers, good showing of vendors at reasonable prices, awards ceremony was nice at both).

And these were back to back contests. Would I chose this option multiple times in a year ? No.. But it was really not so bad...

YankeeBBQ
08-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Congrats Rich, Vinny and all the Brethren. Thanks for the congrats, I never imagened I could repeat New Holland with 72 teams there. It was a thrill

Kirk
08-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Steve, did you have any kind of banner with your team name? I looked around for as many of the Brethren as I could find but I missed you. I would've liked to have stopped by to say howdy (and to sneak a peek and steal a few secrets maybe :-D ).

Jorge
08-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Steve, did you have any kind of banner with your team name? I looked around for as many of the Brethren as I could find but I missed you. I would've liked to have stopped by to say howdy (and to sneak a peek and steal a few secrets maybe :-D ).

Big red trailer with a Backwoods and FE on the back. I Smell Smoke!!

Kirk
08-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I was looking for something that said Team Agave. I think I know the trailer - was it parked right next to the building w/the restrooms?

Jorge
08-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I was looking for something that said Team Agave. I think I know the trailer - was it parked right next to the building w/the restrooms?

I wasn't there, so I couldn't tell you.

Pig Headed
08-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Kirk,

He was in the middle area on the other side of the grandstand from the restrooms.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
08-30-2006, 03:51 PM
He was by the restrooms and backed Crispy Critters. We were 2 sites away from him.

Kirk
08-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Welcome Lo' n Slo' (Michele is it?) I saw your team there, glad to have you aboard. You should head over to "Cattle Call" and introduce yourself.

Lo' -N- Slo' BBQ
08-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanks Kirk,

We will be in Hillsborough on the 9th and Dover in Oct. We will stop the next time we see you.

Tom & Michele

Kirk
08-30-2006, 08:08 PM
I appreciate that but I meant you should stop by the "Cattle Call" forum in the discussion area here. That's where everyone who joins the forum introduces themselves (this is the link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11 ). Oh, and be sure to add your team's name to the list of Brethren that compete (link to the list: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18964). I will look for y'all if you're going to be at next year's Summerfest, that will be our first big comp (Backyard All-Stars BBQ is our name - it's me, my buddy Jim and his 14 year old daughter Kelly).

LostNation
08-31-2006, 04:53 AM
I (http://I) will look for y'all if you're going to be at next year's Summerfest, that will be our first big comp (Backyard All-Stars BBQ is our name - it's me, my buddy Jim and his 14 year old daughter Kelly).

Kirk, Are you considering Tom Christene's Bristol contest. It's similar to the New Holland contest, smaller and a little closer to where you live. It's going to have a new location next year and should still be in May.

Kirk
08-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Definately considering Bristol - I live about 20 minutes from there as opposed to 1 1/2 hrs from New Holland. Thing is, we may only be able to squeeze in one real comp next summer and I figured NH would be the better of the two. I'd love to do both if the planets line up though ("planets" meaning the wife, the new baby, the house, the job, the other hobbies..., you know how it is).

Jeff_in_KC
08-31-2006, 10:15 PM
Congrats to Steve, Rich and Vinny!

Vinny, those are some damned fine looking boxes! Nicely done!