PDA

View Full Version : Questions for selling my smoked salmon

SouthBayBBQ
08-24-2014, 03:08 PM
I have been smoking salmon for friends for a couple years now. I want to try and sell my salmon to a broader market but not sure what I need to be compliant with the state of Ca. I currently smoke and vacuum package my salmon at my house and deliver it to them. Can I sell at farmers markets? Can I sell online? Can I mail out to other states? Can I still work out of my house? Can I sell to markets? What are the state requirements for this?

acguy
08-24-2014, 04:08 PM
If you're asking is it legal to smoke salmon, pack it, and sell it out of your home kitchen, then "no". Every county is a bit different so I suggest you start with the health dept. and see what they say. That will probably guide you to other depts. within the county. And last, check with your insurance company.

bizznessman
08-24-2014, 07:45 PM
I have to agree with acguy. I believe that what you are currently doing falls under the USDA/States regs for selling cooked/packaged potentially hazardous foods. You would need to cook/package the item in a USDA/State licensed/inspected facility in order to sell the product to the public. And, there are many onerous labeling and record keeping requirements that go along with this type of activity.

This LINK (http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/Food_Service_Retail/) may shed some light on CA regs.

Basically, for all States:
1) A food establishment license is required in almost all instances where food is commercially handled or served to the general public. Even the giving of food to the general public is included
2) A license is required for anyone who processes, packs, cans, preserves, freezes, fabricates, stores, prepares, serves, sells, or offers food for sale. (and they are NOT cheap and have all kinds of red tape associated with them as well as costly equipment requirements)

Bbq Bubba
08-25-2014, 05:25 AM
No
No
No
No
No
No and No ;)

SouthBayBBQ
08-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Great Info Bizznessman and acguy thanks and for the links, most appreciated. I can hardly wait to deal with the State of Ca! :-D

landarc
08-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Check with your county, many counties in California now allow for cottage industry products to be sold, however, each is a individual case. I suspect you fall outside of that window. Worth a check. Also, worth a check, if you really want to game the system, and happen to know a Native American, is to see if you can arrange to cook and package on the reservation. That is how they get around the laws in Northern California.

sunrise
08-26-2014, 10:49 AM
I have the cottage licence here in CA, it does work, but does not allow cooking. I can make sauces, rubs, etc... as long as they do not require cooking. You still have to deal with the HA and the labeling requirement have to be met. I agree with everyone else, there are a whole lot of NO's in every question you asked. Especially here in CA.

EvilSwine
09-02-2014, 05:39 PM
And your problem is you're talking about smoked salmon which is going to fall under haccp guidelines meaning more record keeping and red tape then your average rre products.

bizznessman
09-02-2014, 06:15 PM
And your problem is you're talking about smoked salmon which is going to fall under haccp guidelines meaning more record keeping and red tape then your average rre products.

EvilSwine is correct. Check out these links before you proceed. If you enjoy red tape and mountains of record keeping then this is your cup of tea. :-D

LINK1 (http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/HACCP/)

LINK2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazard_analysis_and_critical_control_points)

NOTE: HACCP is mandated for seafood and regulated by the FDA.

silverfinger
09-02-2014, 07:06 PM
What part of Torrance do you live ?