PDA

View Full Version : Chicken box

midwest_kc
07-28-2014, 10:56 AM
So this weekend, we tried something different. I have always thought that legs done right are the best piece of chicken, and that the judges would enjoy them as well. So we cooked them as well as thighs. Same recipe, just different pieces of meat (turned the legs into lollipops too).

I was really happy with how they came out, but feel like they could look better. I put foil over the bones, up until saucing. When I sauced them, I took the foil off and dunked them all in sauce, then back on the pit to set. I feel like this may not have been the best idea, so I'll have to try it with the foil on the whole time at home sometime.

Anyways - what do you think of this box? FYI, we did fill in that front middle part of the parsley after this pic, so while it's low now, it wasn't at turn it in. I'm curious as to how you all would judge it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-25uzjcpU2Fw/U9QhKlLqAaI/AAAAAAAADcc/54pgqzYWq2E/w958-h719-no/20140725_115749.jpg

bbq.tom
07-28-2014, 12:47 PM
At first glance I would give this box an 8, as it looks pretty dad-gum good, but there are just a couple things that could be better. The stripes (grill marks) are showing on some but not others, kinda looks a wee bit dry (maybe not in person, but does in this photo). Other than that I like this box! I might have given it a 9 in person.

tdwalker
07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm with bbq.tom, I would give this an 8. Looks real good, but sauce is uneven.

DawgPhan
07-28-2014, 12:55 PM
It just looks like average bbq chicken to me.

7 to be generous.

that low spot of parsley wouldnt even come into the equation.

MikeJ65
07-28-2014, 01:15 PM
If it was my box, I would have expected mostly 8's, but a 7 or two wouldn't have shocked me.

DR
07-28-2014, 02:17 PM
I like it. Probably going to be an 8 for me.

midwest_kc
07-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Any opinions on the bones? Are they fine, or do you think keeping them foiled the whole time would be better?

bbq.tom
07-28-2014, 02:54 PM
FWIW... These bones are fine just the way they are for me.

DawgPhan
07-28-2014, 02:58 PM
I think that the bones look fine. The color of the chicken doesnt appeal to me. The layout seems off.

tduffy
07-28-2014, 03:22 PM
It would be a 7 or 8. Honestly lolipop chicken does not look very appetizing to me. regular drumsticks i think look more appealing.

SOB
07-28-2014, 03:23 PM
The layout throws it of for me. Solid 8. In person I think this could be a 9 if all chicken is the same way. Maybe with all bones slight crossed making three Xs right down the middle.

bbq.tom
07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Maybe with all bones slight crossed making three Xs right down the middle.

Be careful with 3 Xs as someone might claim that it is a marked box. I was TC at a table when this happened and had to get the REP to make a ruling on the box. The REP discussed it with another REP and finally decided it wasn't marked. Just letting you know that some might question that arrangement.

midwest_kc
07-28-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the input (and any that might come after this). I sense that I was right, in thinking that they looked good, not great, overall. The funny thing is, that I got all 9s on my appearance, and got our highest finish ever in chicken. I know I probably should just take it and roll with it, as it worked, obviously, but I can't help but think that I can't just do the same thing next time out.

They tasted great, by the way. I had some skin issues I'm guessing, as I got 2 7s on tenderness, but taste was all 9s and 8s too.

DR
07-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Any opinions on the bones? Are they fine, or do you think keeping them foiled the whole time would be better?

Bones are ok to me also. I actually like the color on them instead of a nasty white bone.

Burnt at Both Endz
07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
They look appetizing to me, I could see 9's from them. Bones look fine/natural.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
07-29-2014, 10:21 AM
The chicken looks good maybe a little flat not glossy. I would have left the foil on the entire time. It gives you a cleaner finish and some color contrast. I applaud you for turning in lollypops but I would never turn in anything other than a bone in thigh because that's mostly what they expect to see around here. Scared say your scared.

midwest_kc
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah, we cooked both, so that we could pick the better product, and quite frankly the legs were better. The 2 we tried didn't have any skin issues, though my turn in ones apparently did - so I need to fix this, but I think next time out we'll only cook these.

ModelMaker
07-29-2014, 07:28 PM
It just looks like average bbq chicken to me.

7 to be generous.

that low spot of parsley wouldnt even come into the equation.

Just to make it clear, low spot, high spot it makes absolutely no difference.
"Once garnish is termed to be legal, it plays no further role in appearance scoring"
Ed