PDA

View Full Version : Grill Kings Letter

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Just an FYI for those who read all the posts about feedback on the recent Grill Kings event.

Today, Grill Kings sent out a letter via e-mail to the participating teams acknowledging the problems that occurred with this years event. In general, they are accepting full responsibility for what was in their control as well as out of their control, what they were aware of and could not correct in time, as well as issues they were not aware of until after the fact. Planning is already underway that will put together several committees based on numerous functional areas (venue/utilities concerns, team satisfaction/assistance, ammenities, judging, awards, vendors etc.)to avoid repeats of this years issues as best possible now that they are known.

Overall, a very positive and sincere letter from Grill Kings... Looks like Dean(oneofthegrillkings) and Co. will try their best over the next year to make the event all that it can be.

I think that is all you can ask....

Sawdustguy
07-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I'll hand it to Dean for one thing. He has fessed up and understands what went wrong and why. I see no problem with him fixing these things also.

Jeff_in_KC
07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Unlike Grand Rapids... they made excuses and were sarcastic. Good job, Dean.

Sledneck
07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
I cant wait until next year!

voodoobbqIL
07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Jeff,

Did you ever get anything back from your letter to the GR event folks?

Jeff_in_KC
07-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Jeff,

Did you ever get anything back from your letter to the GR event folks?

Just the reply I mentioned in the GR thread. It wasn't too positive. Drop me an email and I'll forward it to you if you want.

Sledneck
07-31-2006, 06:02 PM
I did not get a letter

Westexbbq
07-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Though I did not compete this year's Grill Kings, I did judge on Sunday and only heard a bit about some of the issues; I am glad to hear of the above mentioned response so far and pretty much figured that Dean would try and do the right thing; I met him at the recent KCBS Judge course, he sat in as our 'table captain', and know that they, the Grill Kings organization are trying to do the right thing.
Chalk it up to "growing pains" if you will but I truly feel they are on the right track and will strive to make sure next year's event goes a lot more smoothly; or is that smoother?
Just a few cents worth...
Wes
p.s. There is a blurb at the KCBS site about extra training for reps etc.

Rockaway BeachBQ
08-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Seems like a reasonable plan to delegate more, now he has to find people to fill all of those commitees. I wonder if he has inquired about any Federal Parks as a site, I know they allow fires and overnight stays.

Sawdustguy
08-01-2006, 03:00 AM
The only Federal Parkland I know of on Long Island is Fire Island National Seashore which is not accessable for a contest and Montauk Point. I don't know of any others.

Sledneck
08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Even if it was a federal park the problem is they dont allow outside vending

djmarko
08-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the update Vinny. I'm glad Dean is taking a positive approach to fixing the problems. I for one am looking forward to next years event and would like to help in any way I can. I think we all want Grill Kings to succeed.

Rockaway BeachBQ
08-01-2006, 06:01 PM
If he is willing to move it to Brooklyn or Queens there are several spots in Gateway NRA that would be possible. Floyd Bennet Field has a semicircular road to nowhere that is city property to overcome the vending issue for festivals.

It may be worth pursuing.

drbbq
08-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Seems like a reasonable plan to delegate more, now he has to find people to fill all of those commitees.

Any of you guys volunteering?
Be part of the solution.

Sawdustguy
08-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Ray,

I am sure there will be a number of us volunteering. This is the only local contest us Long Island Teams have. If we want to keep it, we have to help fix it. With just a few tweeks it could be one of the best contests in the Northeast. I think that's worth working for.

Westexbbq
08-01-2006, 08:38 PM
One of many mantras from the sixties, "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (still have an old poster).
You bet I will and already have the inquiry in to GK.
Thanks,
Wes

ique
08-02-2006, 08:18 AM
It seemed that Belmont had a nice park-like area right near the track. I wonder why the contest could not be held there, closer to the actual racetrack?

BBQchef33
08-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Belmont wouldnt allow GK to use the festival areas in 2006, claiming they wanted to see what the event is all about and if it trashes the place.

They ok'ed GK use it next year however after seeing it want exaclty a roudy event.. The festival area has grass, picnic tables, awnings, etc.... and city/public water hose hookups!!. Its on the list of possibilities but still puts them in the midlle of the union issues. They are looking at some recommendations we made for private sector locations.