PDA

View Full Version : Columbia, Missouri (July 28-29)

Jeff_in_KC
07-22-2006, 05:34 PM
OK, who's decided to go ahead and attend? We'll be in town Thursday evening after a company dinner at the winery bistro in Rocheport. Hoping I can set up at least the canopy that night.

Friday evening, we'll be cooking for several of our real estate agents before we kick 'em out to start getting serious!

Gary suggested a $10 entry winner take all pot. Are we still doing that to enhance the payout?

spicewine
07-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Check with Mike McMillen before you set up. He has designated spaces set up for Beta Q Members and Belly Brothers and Team Q will have a large area set aside for our party.

See ya there!!

Spice

Jeff_in_KC
07-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Check with Mike McMillen before you set up. He has designated spaces set up for Beta Q Members and Belly Brothers and Team Q will have a large area set aside for our party.

See ya there!!

Spice

Yeah I will... he said when I upgraded to a bigger site that he had one close to you guys I could have.

Party? LOL! Go easy on the Myers', Jay! Wouldn't want Tammy and me to beat you in your own back yard! :wink: :lol:

Solidkick
07-23-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm sure we'll be there somewhere around 8AM Friday morning...as far as the winner take all pot, I'm still game....we can see how many teams show up (we need 36 for the prize fund to go up) and adjust accordingly as needed.

It will be great to have so many Brethren and Beta Beta Que members gathered at one location. I hope everyone has a good time and does well......

See everyone there!

Jeff_in_KC
07-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Hey guys, I will probably be at Super 8 or somewhere close Thursday night. Anyone interested in hooking up for breakfast somewhere before heading out to the fairgrounds to set up?

Bellybro
07-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Jeff,

I for onee will be at the fairgrounds by 8:00 am I have to meet the guy who is putting the tent up for Team Q and Belly Brothers Production!!

spicewine
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
I am planning on being at the Fair Grounds at around 7:30 am. We need to get 2 Butts and 2 Hams in the Smoker for the party. Plus we need to get the Keg on ice ASAP.

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Hell, I never thought about smoked ham for the dinner we're putting on! Thanks for the idea! Simple!

Doorbusters
07-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Keg, did someone say keg??????

Jorge
07-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Hope you guys have allocated sufficient funds to bail money

Solidkick
07-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Hope you guys have allocated sufficient funds to bail money

We'll just pass the hat.....that should cover it.....unless Jay or Jeff get naked.......then I'll be calling Texas for a loan......can I have your cell phone number please?

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2006, 07:23 PM
Not getting naked myself. Can't speak for Jay!

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Keg, did someone say keg??????

Dustin, are you coming down?

spicewine
07-25-2006, 08:08 AM
We'll just pass the hat.....that should cover it.....unless Jay or Jeff get naked.......then I'll be calling Texas for a loan......can I have your cell phone number please?

Tell Sweet T that I still plan on doing the traditional Naked Dance of the Wood Nymph with her at 12:00 midnight. Right after we put on the Butts and Brisket. :wink:

We are getting a 16 gallon keg of Idiot Broth to expedite the ritual.:rolleyes:

Jeff_in_KC
07-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Tell Sweet T that I still plan on doing the traditional Naked Dance of the Wood Nymph with her at 12:00 midnight. Right after we put on the Butts and Brisket. :wink:

:shock: Having second thoughts about cooking.:shock:

Solidkick
07-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Mod note:
LOL.....OK guys.....we always seem to trash our BoCo fair thread......so....to keep from having to prune it.....let's try to stay on topic from here on.....thanks!

smokincracker
07-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Can't make it this year guys (wish i could)
Don't burn up the Margarita machine!!!!

spicewine
07-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Mod note:
LOL.....OK guys.....we always seem to trash our BoCo fair thread......so....to keep from having to prune it.....let's try to stay on topic from here on.....thanks!

Can't Do the Naked Wood Nymph Dance Mod.

If you edit this out, I'm going to have my Office Mgr. give you a big sloppy kiss!!

Back on topic to keep this alive, we must have 36 teams to get the big money results. Please all of you potental MOFOs sign up and have some fun.

Spice

Greatgrills
07-25-2006, 05:43 PM
wont be able to make it this year due to health reasons. we are thinking about coming out friday night to visit. good luck to everyone that goes and we hope you all can get 36 teams. any idea on how many are signed up now?

stan
07-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I wish I was arriving in KC friday instead of sunday. Have a great time!

Doorbusters
07-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry, Jeff, have the kids, been 3 weeks!!!

spicewine
07-27-2006, 07:54 AM
This is a list of the Brothers that will be at this weekend's contest. I wish you all luck and will see you all tomorrow night.

TEAM Q ( SPICE , BAGS AND LURKER JOHN)
BELLY BROTHERS ( BB I, BB 2 & SOLIDKICK )
BIG CREEK BBQ ( JEFF IN KC )
CHICKNPIG BBQ ( SKIP )

Please let me know if I left anyone out.

Spice

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
This is a list of the Brothers that will be at this weekend's contest. I wish you all luck and will see you all tomorrow night.

CHICKNPIG BBQ ( SKIP )

Please let me know if I left anyone out.

Spice

Something else this group has in common I believe but I can't quite put my finger on it. :wink: Looking forward to the weekend. What is it about the Boone County Fair that makes the weather turn hotter than hell the weekend of the BBQ? Besides July in Missouri. :roll:

Bellybro
07-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Okay, It's Thursday afternoon, my friday since we are all off tommorrow to be there to set up at 8:00am.

I finally am getting psyched up.

Hitting Sam's on the way home and Bellybro 2 is picking up the meat from one of our Sponsors. Then the packing begins!

Want to wish everyone good luck this weekend!

"L"

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Just spoke to Mike McMillen a little while ago. He told me that he's already arranged with you guys for early check in due to your tent company (you guys are doing it up BIG time, huh? LOL!) but that regular check in won't be til 10am. He did say however, that he'll be there sometime before 10am and if I get there and he isn't yet, just to find something to occupy my time til he arrives to show me my spot. Sooo... if he's not too early and I can get down (I'm not coming tonight afterall) before Mike arrives, I'll be available to help with anything BBs and Team Q needs until I can check in. I'll look you up in the AM. Supposedly I'm just a few spaces away from where you are. You ARE abiding by quiet hours with that big shindig, right? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Oh and so far... only 29 teams so 36 doesn't look good. They are going to boost grand to $500 from $300 anyway I understood him to say. So that $10 highest finisher takes all pot sounds good to me! I'd even go $20 do donate to Jay! :wink:

kcquer
07-27-2006, 02:20 PM
CHICKNPIG BBQ ( SKIP )

Best of Luck Brothers!! Do your best and most of all, enjoy each other's company!! I really wish I could be there!!

spicewine
07-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Not to worry Jeff. Alot of MOFOs like to hang on to their money untill the last minute. ( Fair weather cookers ect. ) Some just like to look at the field and will bail if they don't think they have a chance. I think we will have a good showing this weekend.

You can be my Beer Beeauch untill Butt Cheek BBQ gets there. :twisted:

Spice

The_Kapn
07-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Y'all have a fun time and good luck.

TIM

willkat98
07-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Just spent 5 minutes on the phone with Belly Bro

Talked to Kick, but he was digglin

sounds like all is well in MO

kcquer
07-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I just spoke with Brother Kick, sounds like a good time was had by all.

All 4 Brethren Teams got a walk!!!

Congrats Everyone!!

qman
07-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Good news! "Happy Days are Here Again" (singing):-D :-D :-D

scottyd
07-29-2006, 08:42 PM
great job brothers way to get thing done.

Solidkick
07-30-2006, 08:45 AM
What? Am I the first one up this morning? LOL With the heat yesterday, it's a wonder anyone is able to roll out of bed today!

I don't know when I've had a more fun time than this weekend. It all started off with a grand party/celebration hosted by the Belly Brothers and Team Q at the "Belly Q Pavilion", Brisket, wings, boneless breasts, pulled pork, ham, hash bown cassaroles, beans, slaw, hot rolls, keg of beer, and margaritas. We figure we had somewhere between 100-125 people (maybe more) pass through the serving line, there was very little clean up as there wasn't much left!

Saturday morning started with some fine biscuits and sausage gravy prepared by the Chick'N'Pig team. Man, that Thurmanator can sure do a great job of baking! After breakfast, everyone settles in to competition mode.

I don't have the score sheet (BellyBro has it) so I'll do the best I can from memory....
Maiah, (Sweet T's and my grand daughter) was 6th, Taylor, (Big Creek Jeff and Tammy's daughter) was 4th, and Samuel (Chick'N'Pig Skip and Denise's son) was 1st. WTG Samuel! All the kids did great and we all are very proud of them. These are our future Brethren legacy and they represent us in fine fashion.

Here's the results of the grown ups:

Chicken:
10) In Deep Sauce
09) Smoke This BBQ
08 Team Q
07) Rub It Til It Smokes
06) Chick'n Pig BBQ
05) Southern Booone BBQ
04) Pig Roy
03) Muddy River Boys - 159.4286
02) The Meatorites - 160.5716
01) Ray J's BBQ - 162.2858

Ribs:
10) JR
09) Smokin' Til the Sun Comes Home
08 Flying Saucers BBQ
07) The Smokin' Walzs
06) Southern Boone BBQ
05) Juggy's Juicers
04) Team Q
03) Pig Roy - 164.5714
02) Rub It Till It Smokes - 166.2858
01) Ray J's BBQ - 168.0000

Pork:
10) Callaway Cremators
09) Muddy River Boys
08 Team Q
07) Southern Boone BBQ
06) Big Creek BBQ
05) Belly Brothers
04) Ray J's BBQ
03) JR - 162.2856
02) Pig Roy - 164.5712
01) In Deep Sauce - 166.2856

Brisket:
10) Smoke This BBQ
09) The Meatorites
08 Southside Smokers
07) Rub It Til It Smokes
06) JR
05) Team Q
04) In Deep Sauce
03) Belly Brothers - 164.5712
02) Bleu Smoke - 170.8574
01) Organized Camp - 174.8572

Overall:
10) Chick'n Pig
09) Muddy River Boys
08 JR
07) Belly Bros.
06) Rub It Til It Smokes
05) Southern Boone BBQ
04) In Deep Sauce
03) Team Q - 636.5712
02) Ray J's BBQ - 637.7142
01) Pig Roy - 639.4282

All in all, the Brethren teams had a great weekend with eveyrone getting to take the walk! We did a lot of promotion of the site and I expect to see many new MoFos to come take a look at what we do and become members. I think I can speak for my brothers that we're proud to be a Brethren And we hope we represented you well!

Jorge
07-30-2006, 09:16 AM
congrats to all!

parrothead
07-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Way to go all brethren teams! And a special way to go to the brethren kids!

Ron_L
07-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Congrats, Gang! Great jobs!

Pig Headed
07-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Congrats to all the Brethren teams!! Way to go.

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Congrats guys & kids.... Great job... sounds like everyone had a blast.

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm up, Gary, I'm up! LOL! BARELY! Slept 10 hours. Anyway, despite getting sick from the heat twice and a little disappointment in results (finished just out of that top ten overall at 12th), we had a great time!

And we did promote the Brethren site a LOT. In fact, when the local newspaper reporter came around to talk to us, most of what I talked about was the Brethren (BrooklynQ mod! :lol: ). Hope we made the cut! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Found the article online. We didn't make it but Brother Skip Thurman is the star! Congrats, Skip, Denise and "Slammin' Sammy"!

Barbecue contest boasts grills, glaze, good tastes

By ALICE ROACH
July 30, 2006

http://digmo.org/images/news/073006fair1.jpg Senator Chuck Graham, D-Columbia, left, and Representative Judy Baker, D-Columbia, enter scores at the barbecue contest Saturday. (ANNE BREITWEISER/ Missourian)

Smoke circled the cook site as Skip Thurman lifted the lid of his Weber charcoal grill, exposing 15 hot and seasoned chicken thighs. After taking them off the grill, his wife, Denise, drizzled on just enough honey to make them sweet.
“It just puts a little glaze on it, and that glaze is just a nice touch,” Skip Thurman said.
The 15th Annual Boone’s Lick Trail BBQ Contest began Friday at the Boone County Fairgrounds as 30 teams set up camp and seasoned their competition meat. At about midnight Friday, teams put on their respective pork shoulders and beef briskets, while the ribs and chicken went on later Saturday. As Saturday wore on, the cooks worked toward plating their ideal barbecue.
“It should be moist, tender and juicy with a nice hint of smoke and with ooey-gooey sauce — the kind that sticks to your fingers,” Skip Thurman, a second year competitive barbecue cook from Columbia, said.
Once the chicken was off the grill, the team’s taste-tester, Skip and Denise’s son, Samuel, 9, was ready to try it.
“Ooh, these look good,” Samuel, who was also grand champion of ages 6 to 10 Kids Q competition, said.
“Samuel will always tell us his opinion,” Skip Thurman said.
http://digmo.org/images/news/073006fair2.jpg Marc Strid displays a barbecue entry for judges, from left to right, Floyd Durk, Walter Pfeffer and Stephen Smith on Saturday. (ANNE BREITWEISER/ Missourian)

As for the score on a two-to-nine scale, with nine being the best, the chicken is “probably an eight or nine,” Samuel said.
“That’s good enough for me,” Skip Thurman said.
The Thurmans compete as the Chick’n Pig BBQ team.
Mike McMillen has organized the Kansas City Society-sanctioned contest for the past six years.
“I do this mainly for our local people,” McMillen said. “We know most of these competitors because they are part of our community.”
Teams began turning in their entries at noon Saturday. Thirty judges, meanwhile, evaluate entries for taste, tenderness and appearance, after taking an oath “to objectively and subjectively evaluate each barbecue meat that is presented to my eyes, my nose and my palate.”
Ray Jansen of Jefferson City hasn’t changed the rub he uses since he developed it in 2001. But this weekend, he is trying something different with his brisket in hopes of winning.
“We’re hopeful we’re on the verge of doing better,” he said. “I’m looking to develop a winning record to promote my catering around Jefferson City.”
He and his son-in-law, Derick Miles, built their first cooker in 1996 to compete at the Missouri State Fair. “And we kind of got hooked after that,” Jansen said.
Now his wife, June, and daughter, Misty Miles, travel along to help the Ray J’s Bar-B-Que team.
The Pig Roy team of Mark Grieco of Olathe, Kan., and Don Allee of Butler won the grand champion award. Team Q was named Boone County’s Best Barbecuer.
Saturday ended with an awards ceremony to acknowledge the contestants’ work. The grand prize winner received a $500 award and an invitation to compete at the American Royal contest, McMillen said. The four other overall top winners and the top 10 teams in each meat category were awarded various prizes. As for winning, it takes the right recipe to bring in a prize.
“Everyone’s trying to find that one secret ingredient that sets them apart,” Skip Thurman said. “And when they find that, they’re hot.”

spicewine
07-30-2006, 01:16 PM
OK my sorry arse is out of bed!! Too much celebration this weekend. A good time was had by all and there was a whole lot-o-walkin going on!!

Congrats to all of you!! You are all winners in my book!!

Note to self--------No more KEG BEER !!!! :icon_smil

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Save the keg beer for Door Matt! :lol:

Glad to see you're alive this morning, Jay!

HoDeDo
07-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a great time was had by all. I'm sorry I didn't make it out to partake with ya'll. Ended up spending Friday night @ the Marriott with my bride.... FL in-laws moving back to MO -- so they watched the girls, and Kim and I had a night alone.

spicewine
07-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks to my Team Mates for a 3rd place overall finish. With 30 teams, not to shabby!!

We also got a nice trophy for Best BBQer in Boone County!! Pics to follow.

Spice

Kevin
07-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks to my Team Mates for a 3rd place overall finish. With 30 teams, not to shabby!!

We also got a nice trophy for Best BBQer in Boone County!! Pics to follow.

Spice

Let's see the pics. And yes, most of us know she's not your wife.

The_Kapn
07-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Congrats to all.
Sounds like a great weekend.

TIM

MoKanMeathead
07-31-2006, 07:56 AM
Grongrats to all the brothers that got to walk. Sounds like you all had a good time.

spicewine
07-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Pix as promised. In order 1) The Belly Brothers 2) Brother Kick and the looser trophy. 3)Skips Rig 4) Belly Q Pavilian 5) Miah's turn in. 6) Team Q 7) Best in Boone County Award

Bellybro
07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Team Q is a class act and the best neighbors a guy could hope for. Look forward to doing the Belly Q Pavillion again next year. Congrats guys you deserve it!

"Damn, Have we put our meet on yet?" Favorite Spicewine quote of the weekend.

Was also nice seeing "George" stop by for a visit to his favorite BBQ team. Too bad Team Q was not there to meat and greet him properly!

Fredbird
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Just think if we had had a keg and Singing Bob!!!!!

Solidkick
08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Just think if we had had a keg and Singing Bob!!!!!

Welcome John........you gotta read the story in Woodpile, you get mentioned there.......

And you're right.....none of us probably would have gotten any sleep with Bob singing and Jay a shakin' I can see it now, Bob singing "Shake Rattle and Roll" and Jay acommodating!

Jeff_in_KC
08-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Welcome John........you gotta read the story in Woodpile, you get mentioned there.......

And you're right.....none of us probably would have gotten any sleep with Bob singing and Jay a shakin' I can see it now, Bob singing "Shake Rattle and Roll" and Jay acommodating!

LMAO!!! Gary, you're killin' me! The vision of all that is cracking me up! :lol:

smokincracker
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
Jay
You are the man
Good Job Bro