PDA

View Full Version : How many of you compete alone

DR
06-19-2014, 07:41 AM
I was wondering how many of you compete alone. I am going to be competing this fall and my wife just isn't into stuff like this and really has no interest in competing. I have a couple of friends that might jump in from time to time but none that are going to be regulars with me. SO it looks like the only one i can count on full time is me.

Any of you compete alone and if so can you give some pointers to make it smoother.

Thanks, DR

Indybbq
06-19-2014, 07:54 AM
I compete 95% of the time alone. My wife and/or a friend sometimes are able to come on Saturday but they are mostly there for 'moral support' and to eat leftovers. I do all of the work as it pertains to the actual contest. You'll be exhausted by the end of the day but it's still a lot of fun.

Duddy55
06-19-2014, 07:55 AM
I compete alone pretty much from friday night until turn ins on saturday morning, every once in awhile i have someone there just to keep me company...my wife usually shows up a little before turn ins just to help with the turn in process. Until turn ins its pretty easy to do it solo, but once you start the turn ins its really nice to have an extra hand as a runner and help clean up your boxes and to maybe grab you some supplies here and there

Shiz-Nit
06-19-2014, 09:03 AM
I have did comps with just me. No big deal just hit your times, don't worry about what everyone else is doing.
when you get there time your walk to turn ins and add a bit of time for unsuspected traffic.

Smokin69th
06-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I've only cooked a couple of comps, but I'm mostly solo (my cookers, gear, meats, etc). I've never had a problem getting help from a neighbor cooker to set up tents or help me spot my trailer location. My daughter or a couple of friends of mine show up on Saturday to run boxes for turn in and watch the clock for me, but the main operation is left to me. Best thing I learned from last year was make a timeline/schedule, and build a checklist of the things you need and ONLY the things you need. Don't bring extra spices that you "might use". Just more stuff to haul back, and creates uncertainty in your plan.

Candy Sue
06-19-2014, 10:09 AM
I am solo just about always. Just takes planning/organization and simplify everything.

Lake Dogs
06-19-2014, 10:17 AM
I do a variety of sanctioning bodies. For the smaller ones (smaller cooks I mean), like KCBS and FBA, I usually am alone. Sometimes friends are around for moral support and to help eat leftovers. MBN, can't. I usually have 3 others with me, unless I'm doing a whole hog too, and then it's 4 or 5 others with me.

Southern Home Boy
06-19-2014, 10:58 AM
I've been competing mostly alone since 2008. My wife and kids will sometimes be "Pit crew" and help me set up the kitchen, but all the prep, cook, box-building and presentation are me. You can do turn-ins solo, but as has been stated, it's nice to have an extra pair of hands.

Last comp I did last weekend, I had a buddy "help", but he was more there for company and to, "Here...hold this for a second..." or "Do me a favor... wash off those tongs and knives for me will ya?"

I don't mind competing mostly solo, but for me, it's a cost thing. I just can't afford to do solo competitions anymore. I'm just not good enough for this to pay for itself.

Rich Parker
06-19-2014, 11:41 AM
I compete solo the majority of the time.

sushi_tampa
06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Solo here also, but i'm only 3 comps deep so far.

Porcine Perfection
06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Solo for 90% of the cook. My wife does boxes and a couple of times I have had a runner for turn ins. First year competing. I will probably see about one person to help me next year. I am not in the best of shape (bad back) and I am one sore puppy by the time I head home. Also another person to offset costs would be great.

Andrews
06-19-2014, 01:51 PM
I compete solo.
Here's a couple of tips:
Get there early to get a spot near turn-ins, check with the promoter early to see if the can help get you near turn-ins.

Simplify, bring only what is absolutely needed.
Pre-trim
Pre-mix all sauces and injections
Vac-seal all comp meats
Bring snacks and drinks, that way you wont have to run off to the store.
Create a good check list, check it twice!
Create a good cook timeline and stick to it as much as possible.

Have more fun than the teams with 20-30 people and make sure you beat them that day!