PDA

View Full Version : Do any of yall do comps on back to back weekends?

Waterboy12
06-18-2014, 03:06 PM
We have 2 local comps coming up in October. I would love to do both but feel like competing back to back like that would just be to much. I feel like the first comp would be fine but to do another one the very next weekend and working in between would just be to much strain and ultimately make my end product suffer. How many of y'all do it or have done it and what's your thoughts

sslak
06-18-2014, 03:36 PM
All 3 of our local comps are consecutive weeks this year....I'm thinking it's going to be a bit much but the choice was either drive really far, do less comps, or suck it up and go 3 in a row.

We did Oconomowoc last weekend, Whitewater this weekend...and I'll let you know how dead I am after Grafton in 2 weeks.

Giddyup!

INmitch
06-18-2014, 03:40 PM
I've got 4 in a row. Lots of people do a lot more than that. I actually usually do better. Ya just get in the groove and stay organized. I've got 6 comps worth of chicken trimmed and frozen. Just gotta stay ahead of the game and have things prepped.

Scottie
06-18-2014, 03:45 PM
People actually do that? Insane.

HarleyGirl14226
06-18-2014, 03:53 PM
We've done back to back, and actually feel like it gets "easier" as you go along...
You get in a groove.

Slamdunkpro
06-18-2014, 04:04 PM
We're doing 4, maybe 5 in a row in August.

jaestar
06-18-2014, 04:06 PM
It is pretty easy once you get a plan down.

Sunday: Make sauces, injections, brines, etc.
Monday: Buy/trim pork and ribs, trim brisket
Tuesday: Buy chicken, garnish and any other supplies at grocery store, trim chicken
Wednesday: Pack trailer and go through final checklist
Thursday: Put brisket in fridge to thaw for next week

ramtuf6
06-18-2014, 04:58 PM
We're doing 4, maybe 5 in a row in August.

I do three and four in a row often but never in August! The August heat is a killer in Texas!!

indianagriller
06-18-2014, 04:59 PM
At the end of May we had competitions 13 of the next 16 weekends or something absurd like that with there being stretches of 4 - 5 in a row...We are on number 3 in a row this weekend and next weekend we will be vending as well as competing...:wacko:

Eggspert
06-18-2014, 05:18 PM
I think it is easier when they are back to back. You get a routine with your week down. Plus you leave everything you can loaded in the trailer. Bring what you need to bring into the house, clean, re-fill etc. I think it is harder when you have a stretch in the middle without competitions. Just my opinion. Just do it! You only live once and you can sleep when you are dead!

Eggspert

Hot Wachula's
06-18-2014, 05:25 PM
The most in a row this year is 16. The hardest part is keeping all the little things in inventory. Then there is the contest where you you wonder where your 15 packs of injection went, then it dawns on you that this is number 16.
I can say it has helped me become a lot more consistent.

Candy Sue
06-18-2014, 05:34 PM
I've done 2 Fri-Sat, Sat-Sun weekends. No travel the first time and 90 miles the 2nd set.

I think I liked them! Gutton for punishment...

Wicked Smoke BBQ
06-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Quite a few times now. Two coming up in July that are back to back. Even different ruling bodies.

Smokedelic
06-18-2014, 05:59 PM
It is pretty easy once you get a plan down.

Sunday: Make sauces, injections, brines, etc.
Monday: Buy/trim pork and ribs, trim brisket
Tuesday: Buy chicken, garnish and any other supplies at grocery store, trim chicken
Wednesday: Pack trailer and go through final checklist
Thursday: Put brisket in fridge to thaw for next week
^^^^^This right here^^^^^

I've been known to compete on back to back weekends on occasion, and as others have pointed out, I think it's actually easier the second weekend than the first.

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-18-2014, 06:10 PM
We're right there with Hot Wachula's, we've done 16 in a row, twice I think, and 10-12 in a row many times over the last 5 years or so.....

You get into a groove and it becomes automatic. You need to be organized like above and be sure not to forget anything. Thankfully Dan H. is a master logistician and planner......

Scuffletown Smokers
06-18-2014, 07:21 PM
I just did back to back for the first time and it was awesome... I say go for it.

TroyA65
06-18-2014, 07:49 PM
Saddle up Sally!!!:biggrin1:

Porcine Perfection
06-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Cooking Seymour (MO) this weekend and Lenexa (KS) next weekend. Looking forward to it.

fnbish
06-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Definitely do it. The most we've done is 8, but it really becomes 2nd nature.

buttburnersbbq
06-18-2014, 08:53 PM
I had thought the same thing. But did 5 comps back to back this year. It actually was not bad at all and sounds worst that in real life.

BBQ_MAFIA
06-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I think Eggspert has got it right.

I think it is easier when they are back to back. You get a routine with your week down. Plus you leave everything you can loaded in the trailer. Bring what you need to bring into the house, clean, re-fill etc. I think it is harder when you have a stretch in the middle without competitions. Just my opinion. Just do it! You only live once and you can sleep when you are dead!

Eggspert

Wampus
06-18-2014, 08:59 PM
We do so many back to backs that it actually feels weird when we have more than one weekend off dying the season.

I like the routine. Keeps us in the groove.

Saddle up!

EMTTLC
06-18-2014, 09:57 PM
This year I'm judging 14 and cooking 14. I've got one three week stretch and two back to back cooks during the year. I like doing it every week end. I think it helps me to stay focused.

CivilWarBBQ
06-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Back to back doesn't make your BBQ suffer, but it does put a real crimp in your day job and chores around the homestead.

CBQ
06-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Easier back to back - we have done up to 5 in row. If we were down south where there are more contests, it would be higher than that.

It's just like doing a contest - we have a process to reset. We know what needs to be cleaned, what needs to be refreshed, and what needs to be prepped for the next run.

Taking too much too off makes it harder.

MikeJ65
06-18-2014, 11:31 PM
The best score we've had was the Sat/Sun contest after a Fri/Sat. It just felt more natural doing everything the second day. It's kind of a groundhog day thing, wake up and do things just a bit different. It's like training your dog, the quicker you can correct things, the better it works.

Those were both at the same site, so it was actually pretty easy. We are thinking about doing a double over the 4th weekend, but they are close to 3 hours apart. That's going to be a bit of work to load up, drive 3 hrs., setup and do everything all over again.

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-19-2014, 06:56 AM
We are thinking about doing a double over the 4th weekend, but they are close to 3 hours apart. That's going to be a bit of work to load up, drive 3 hrs., setup and do everything all over again.

We had one of those last year, the second one being up in Seaside Heights, NJ. We were the last team in, told the organizers we would be coming in late AND with our trailer.

So, of course, they gave us the spot in the middle of the teams. Took me some time, but I got the trailer in the right position, and we carried on. Just wished we had cooked better......

The teams around us were awesome, letting have some space Dan to do prep work, let Kit get her alternate catagories done, while I got parked, and set up. They got quite the show watching me pull forward, back up, a bunch of times to get in our spot.....

82's BBQ
06-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Technically no, but theoretically yes. Working 48 hrs in a row and then 24 off (yeah that is right and not the other way around) Like Candy Sue, I too am a glutton for punishment. So I only get 7 days off in between competitions. You find a routine that doesn't overwhelm you and keeps you ahead of the game. I usually trim my chicken the Monday after the previous comp. Inventory supplies and place orders on Thursday. Monday before the comp I mix up sauces and injections (at work). Depending on where the comp is either Tuesday before the comp or today, I'll pick up butts, ribs, parsley and any disposable supplies. I may build boxes tonight and trim meats.
That reminds me I need to get off of here and get busy.

Candy Sue
06-19-2014, 11:21 AM
You just got to have a checklist of what's got to be checked/done between events. Meat (prep as much as you can at home), seasoning, foil, foil pans, cutting boards, paper towels, bottled water whatever you use up at a contest, you've got to restock. Last night I prepped my chicken and reloaded seasonings. I'll buy another super duty foil at the store this evening along with buying green stuff and Friday night food. I'll pick up butts this afternoon and prep tonight. Load it all up, hook up the cooker to the van and I'll be ready to work a half a day tomorrow then go to Hernando, MS. Last weekend was Wynne -- going to do better on ribs this weekend!