PDA

View Full Version : Grill Kings results

drbbq
07-16-2006, 07:19 PM
I don't know how the Bretheren teams did but IQ was Grand and Pellet Envy was reserve.

The_Kapn
07-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't know how the Bretheren teams did but IQ was Grand and Pellet Envy was reserve.

Thanks Ray,

That's a great start.
Chris and Rod are both members here.

Interesting to see how the rest of the places went :lol:

Great job guys!

TIM

Sledneck
07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
The band is still playing we are waiting for the results, they should be announcing them sometime on monday or maybe tuesday

backyardchef
07-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks Ray,

That's a great start.
Chris and Rod are both members here.

TIM

And Steve (YankeeBBQ) that was cooking w/ Rod, I believe.....

Jeff_in_KC
07-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Congrats to Rod, Steve and Chris and all the rest of the Brethren! Good Lord, Rod, this is truly your year! Congratulations on this latest accomplishment! Hey, you aren't planning on going to Columbia, Laurie, Blue Springs, Hermann or DeSoto are you? :lol: I'm seeing KCBS Team of the Year on the horizon! :wink:

MilitantSquatter
07-16-2006, 09:53 PM
OK... Here we go... I'll give the top 10 overall and per category, I'll try to highlight the Brethren teams but hopefully The Kapn can do his magic and catch any I missed. The Brethren definitely had a strong presence. I sincerely apologize if I miss any one, but I am delerious at this point and need rest.

I'm shot, but it was a blast. Overall, my team Bad Bones BBQ Crew came in 15 out of 40 and walked in Pork Shoulder with 5th place. Not bad for our first contest. Finished 12th in chicken, 17th in brisket and a real dissapointing 35 in Ribs as that was what we expected the best scores in. Got crushed on taste except on judge who loved it. Need to re-think things there...

Grand - I Que
Reserve - Pellet Envy

3. I Like Smoke & Lightning
4. Dirty Dick & The Legless Wonders
5. Purple Turtle Catering Co.
6. Hill Country BBQ
7. BBQ- Brethren
8. Cue's Your Daddy !
9. Long Island Porkers
10. Holy Cow ! MoohandessGhandi

Chicken
1. Purple Turtle
2. Hill Country BBQ
3. Dirty Dick & The Legless Wonders
4. Pellet Envy
5. BBQ Brethren
6. I Que
7. Dr. Frank N Swine
8. Sir Sauce a Lot
9. I Like Smoke N Lightning
10. Babylon Grillbillies

Ribs
1. I Que
2. Pellet Envy
3. Dirty Dick & The Legless Wonders
4. Cue's Your Daddy
5. I Like Smoke N Lightning
6. Holy Cow ! MoohanddesGhandi
7. Camo Q Crew
8. BS BBQ
9. Babylon Grillbillies
10. Purple Turtle Catering Co.

Pork
1. I Like Smoke N Lightning
2. I Que
3. BBQ Brethren
4. TNT Dynamite BBQ
5. Bad Bones BBQ Crew - (me !!)
6. Holy Cow MoohandeesGhandi
7. Grills Gone Wild:NY, NY
8. Bayside Buttheads
9. Two Fat Polocks BBQ
10. Hot Hogs USA

Brisket
1, Holy Cow MoohandeesGhandi
2. I Que
3. Ma's Que's Crew
4. Pellet Envy
5. Bayside Buttheads
6. Long Island Porkers
7. Two Fat Polocks BBQ
8. Purple Turtle Catering Co.
9. Dirty Dick & the Legless Wonders
10. BBQ - Brethren

Jeff_in_KC
07-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Lotsa bold type there! Way to go everyone! That's farkin' fantastic! And Vinny, congrats on your first walk in your first event! Rocks, huh?

Ron_L
07-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Yep... Congrats to everyone! Great job in your first event, Vinny!

Solidkick
07-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Nice showing by all the Brethren brothers!

Bigmista
07-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Way to go folks! Great job!!!

BBQchef33
07-16-2006, 11:21 PM
YEAH.!!!! a strong showing by brethren teams. WillyB(I love smoke n lightening) took 3 overall behing Chris(YankeeBBQ) and rod(KCPellethead). i manged to squeak in to 7th overall with a 3rd and 5th walk. Totally tanked with a dismal running in ribs, I thinK it was like 26th or somewhere down there.

Everytime a Brethren Team walked.. there were chants from the crowd of FEAR THE PIG!!! In one catagory there were 4 of us up there.!!!

I was across the isle from WillieB.. it semed tie stood still, becase every 15 miniutes someone would do a time checl, and it was always 1:30!

all i nall , a great time..I think about this conetest, I had the most food i have ever had,,

Sawdustguy
07-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Two Fat Polocks finished 12th overall an asterik. We DQed in chicken ( I will discuss that in a later thread). It was the best contest we have attended to date. It was great not because it was well run, a great venue or it's location. It was great because I was able to share it with my Brothers in Smoke. The athmosphere on Saturday night was more like a block party. We enjoyed Poobah's Linguine, Willy B's clams, Brooklyn Q's bread, our COTC and Slednecks Croation creations. The comradrie amoung teams was something to behold. It was something to be proud of.

It is not clear wether we will cook the event next year because there were a number of issues with the contest that I feel made it very difficult. I don't wish to discuss them here and start a big deal because we enjoyed the event and the comradrie.

CTSmokehouse
07-16-2006, 11:55 PM
It truly was a great competition. It was a wonderful BBQ experience! Way to go!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sledneck
07-17-2006, 05:27 AM
I am still at the band shell waiting for the results.:biggrin:

Had a blast. Ate so much good food but i dont want to eat for the next couple of days. I cant say i was pleasewd with my 25 th place finish overall but im glad i didnt come in last. Best score we had was 13 in chicken. Judging is a little strange, my brisket which should of came in dead last( i wouldnt feed it to a dog) did ten points higher than my pork of whcih i thought was one of the best pork i have ever done, go figure. Loved hanging out with all the brethren as well as all of the the other new people i met. I have taken two showers since yesterday and still smell like smoke!

backyardchef
07-17-2006, 06:45 AM
WillyB(I love smoke n lightening) took 3 overall behing Chris(YankeeBBQ) and rod(KCPellethead).

Hey Steve, does this mean that Chris knows the code, too?... :biggrin:

drbbq
07-17-2006, 07:48 AM
They finally get the belt made bigger and now a skinny guy wins it. WTF. Congrats to everyone. Anybody got pics?

MrSmoker
07-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Congrats to all the Brothers that walked,you make us all proud of our family.

BrooklynQ
07-17-2006, 09:47 AM
Congrats to everyone. That was a hell of an event.

cmcadams
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Great Brethren weekend!!! Congrats to all who placed!

rookiedad
07-17-2006, 10:13 AM
hey!
congradulations guys! sounds like it was a great time and everyone had fun. when do we get to see the photos?

phil

Arlin_MacRae
07-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Many congrats, my brothers!!!

Al Dente
07-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Came in 21st overall. Best was 7th for ribs. Very upset with how the entire event was run. Seems to be more and more disorganized each year. Sorry that 2 fat Pollacks was Dq'ed, not right. No water after 4PM until 10AM Sunday, no cooks meeting, late meat inspection, and very late announcements. The camraderie was great, the food, the fun, the families all great... the event, much to be desired. And oh yeah...the Guest List that not one team knew about.

All the best, Al.

parrothead
07-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Came in 21st overall. Best was 7th for ribs. Very upset with how the entire event was run. Seems to be more and more disorganized each year. Sorry that 2 fat Pollacks was Dq'ed, not right. No water after 4PM until 10AM Sunday, no cooks meeting, late meat inspection, and very late announcements. The camraderie was great, the food, the fun, the families all great... the event, much to be desired. And oh yeah...the Guest List that not one team knew about.

All the best, Al.

No water for how long? WOW! Rob was telling about that. Late meat inspection is wrong as well. People need to start messing with their meat as soon as possible. I know we do.

That water thing is way wrong.

No cooks meeting? I thought that was mandatory.

Smoker
07-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I think they had a meeting on Saturday but most teams were not told about it.

BBQchef33
07-17-2006, 12:10 PM
no water from 4pm to 10am.

Couldnt wash dishes, no water for WSMs unless you hoarded some in buckets.

ique
07-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Was great to meet many of the Brethren. I'm still recovering from heat stroke. Hope to see some of you guys travel up to New England for a contest.

Chris

BBQchef33
07-17-2006, 12:35 PM
EEeeek. I just read my first post and it looks like I fell asleep in the middle of typing.

first congrats to Chris and Ique for taking GC and Rod and Steve for RGC.. it was a pleasure seeing Rod and Chris... Lat time I met you guys was at the jack 2 years ago..

and also congrats to willyB pulls a hat trick stealing third!! Way to go and ya did it all within the same minute at precicsly 1:30.

and a real big congrats to Vinney and bad bones.. those guys had the biggest chit eating grin on there face for getting some iron the first time out. And in true BBQ Competitor fashion, as soon as they got back to camp, and looked at the breakdown on the scores.. they were like WTF??? How do you get a 665 and a 889 on the same box?.. Bad Bones.. get used to it..

fyi.. they were 100% certified judging this time.. probably the one good thing that happened at the organizational level of the event. There were alot of major issues, some starting minor that x40 makes it bad.

congrats to all our teams that walked.. and some of the other teams that made their way here... bayside buttheads, babylon grillies, camo-q-crew.. purple turtle......they all got top 10 finishes somewhere.... i tried to get to everyone to say Hi, and wandered around with a big pot of Linuine and clam sauce... but I didnt get to meet a couple of them.. Will try again next time out.

next event we check on some minor details, like water.. shade...time.. etc..

EDIT:: I forgot.. Thanks to my team mates!! who staring down the butt of adversity, still got us a couple of walks. Jorge flew up from Texas just to compete with us, Smoker ate to much jalepeno sausage(that jorge bought from TX) and I think it won some "internal" battle.. Steve wa lookign greenish, but continued to bust his hump to keep us going..

BQ.. well he's him.. yelling at me to HURRY UP HURRY UP HURRY UP!!! :twisted: :cool:

BBQchef33
07-17-2006, 12:42 PM
. Hope to see some of you guys travel up to New England for a contest.

Chris

WHY??.. so you can Whoop us again mr Grand Champ???

:evil:

Oh well. I guess thats as good a reason as any. :mrgreen: :wink: :eusa_clap

cabo
07-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Cograts to all that competed under what sounds like some pretty adverse
conditions. Show em who the Brethren Are!!
To those who walked, Oh Hell Yeah!!!!
All in all, it sounds like you a great time. Wish I could have been there.

mfalco
07-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Congrats to all the winners - the Brethren really cleaned up!!! Sorry I didn't stick around to offer my congrats in person, but the heat stroke was really kicking in - I literally have never been more tired in my life!!

Thanks to all those who stopped by to see our new rig - our food was a disapointment, but the rig was a hit

See y'all at one of the upcoming NEBS events

BBQ_MAFIA
07-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Congrats to all the Brethren

Great job Vinny and the Bad Bones Team!

ique
07-17-2006, 01:19 PM
[quote=BBQchef33]WHY??.. so you can Whoop us again mr Grand Champ???
/quote]

Well, we have trees and water up here in New England.

:wink:

BrooklynQ
07-17-2006, 01:51 PM
[quote=BBQchef33]WHY??.. so you can Whoop us again mr Grand Champ???
/quote]

Well, we have trees and water up here in New England.

:wink:

But the question remains - Will you share them New Yorkers?

cabo
07-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Guys, I know this is off topic sorta. So, Moderators move it if you feel the need please.

Heat stroke is nothing to play with.
A few years ago I was cooking (grilling actually) for a party of about 250.
Temp. outside was about 100+ degrees and I was under a canopy. I had a ďgrillĒ measuring about four feet by six feet cooking surface. It was a whole hog pit. I was drinking plenty of water, and had a cold water soaked towel around my neck. About 4 hours into the cook I quit sweating & not feeling the heat so much. My face turned really red, according to some partiers, and I started feeling like sh!t. I had to turn the cooking over to someone else, and doing the Gator Aid thing inside with the air conditioning. No lasting affects, except I donít do well in high heat for prolonged periods, but Iím real careful now.
Moral is, you donít have to be in direct sunlight, and plenty of water is a must, but not necessarily a deterrent, although it helps.
Some of these comps. can be brutal. Be careful.

SmokeInDaEye
07-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Congrats to everyone, especially Willy B, Phil, Jorge and all of the other great members we met! It was a great way to test our feet in the competition waters, even if it was only the grilling portion.

Still waiting to see the big list from Saturday posted so we can see how much more work we have to do. Either way, we're ready to try more competitions soon!

BrooklynQ
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
What happened to RockawayBEach BBQ and Pit Beach - were you guys there?

BBQchef33
07-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Rockaway beach came by.. but disappeared.. he couldnt get the everything done in time to make it... kettle was waitign for him though. :)

CTSmokehouse also came by and disappeared too... I think i was so distracted that I just lost track.

Al Dente
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Here's what went down from my point of view. The breakdown of the breakdown so to speak.

Friday afternoon I get a call from the GK office letting me know of the 2 items I need to have on hand. The first was a fire extinguisher, the second was a handwashing station. When I asked what a handwashing station was, the reply I got was "a handwashing station". I asked if that meant the soapy water, rinse water, sanitizing solution set-up. Again, I got "a handwashing station". I then proceeded to say that if she meant the separate, rubbermaid unit that cost around $650, where was I supposed to get that with the contest setting up in aropund 15 hours. Once again, the same response.

Saturday at 5:30AM, outside the locked gate, with the line growing behind, no entry. Called GK office and got the promoter on the line telling me that Belmont did not want anyone in there until 6AM. But, the vendors were in there all set up and smoking already. Around 6:15AM got in. The promoter decided to move everyone around without notifying anyone. The original blueprint was scrapped when not all 100 spots were paid for. Not a big issue, but it's number 2 on the list so far in regards to lack of communication. There's more to follow.

Got to set up, and still waiting for water and electric. No water because the supply tank has an electric pump, and without the crew finalizing the electrical hook up, no water. That happened at around 10AM. During that time, I'm still waiting for my meat inspection. fFve guys came into my tent to inspect my meat, but only if I was competing in the Pure Fire Challenge. Since they were not KCBS certified, they left, not knowing where Murray was. Finally at 11AM I got Murray. Already around 3 hours behind, with a ton of family coming.

Nassau County Board of Health comes to inspect as well. Asks for my handwashing station. I point out that I did not know what was meant by it and that I only found out about it a few hours ago. I also said that we were not allowed to give out samples since the vendors were selling food to the general public. I had to satisfy him by using an Igloo beverage cooler and an empty 5 gallon pail for waste water. Even though there were 6 2 headed handwashing stations by the judging area.

The water ran out at 3:30PM. Not to be refilled until 10AM Sunday morning. The promoter had no answer and did not go around to even explain the situation to the teams. I got him as he was driving in his truck. Also, never knowing until today that he was on site the whole time in the RV's parked by the fence!!!!!

Sunday, found out that there was a Guest List for teams. Not one person I spoke with was aware of this. Everyone's family member paid both days to come in a cheer their team on. Never once was this option presented to me or any other team I spoke with. The general public should pay, but for the families of teams, c'mon are you that desparate for 5 bucks.

At 4:30 the band annouces to come to the bandshell for the awards presentation. They continued to play. They took a break. They played again until close to 6PM. Everyone got really tired of baking the sun for almost 90 minutes and started to breakdown. The promoter was still unpacking the trophies while everyone was sweating. He even forgot to bring the Championship Belt to the stage.

Some teams had brought their vehicles into the area in the morning and left them there. They were were all packed and ready to go. When other teams, including myself tried to bring our vehicles in, we were told we can't after we were told we can. Temperatures were already rising, and this made it worse. Finally were allowed. All around, the Belmont security and the Staff were very upset with yet again, the lack of communication.

The general public was very upset that they had to pre-purchase BBQ BUCKS in order to eat at the event. The vendors had no control over it because they had to fork over 25% of the sales to the promoter. It was out of their hands. They were told to expect around 30,000 people. It was even cited in a Newsday article in Friday's edition. (he claims that there were 15,000 at Hecksher last year!!!!) One vendor purchased 1,000 racks of ribs. Another paid .20 per ear of corn and they were being sold for $5. The beer was sold for $5 a cup. Another ripoff. If it was outside of Nassau, Budweiser would have gave it away. The promoter was even selling t-shirts at the event, not even giving them to team members.

The event keeps getting worse and worse. I will not be attending next year's event, if there is one. I will be writing a letter to KCBS detailing exactly what is here. Even though I don't care about winning, I wanted to get a trophy just to leave it there on the stage. It's about family, food, fun, and the camraderie between teams, but it's not worth the B.S.

BrooklynQ
07-17-2006, 03:43 PM
This is being written for something else, so forgive me if I pick up on some of the points Al said....

My take is that the mistakes started before the event itself. The major problem is the lack of communication from the organizer with the teams. I'm going to throw it all out for you in no particular order. I'm also only giving you things I personally saw or experienced.

Dean started promoting it last year as being held in the racetrack as "part of the Belmont experience." There was talk by Dean about the event being held next to the actual race course. Belmont has a beautiful festival area which is where it was being touted as where the event would be held.

Two weeks before the event, the layout is published and the event is placed in the furthest parking lot, about 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile from the main entrance to the race track. No shade and surrounded by the Cross Island Parkway on one side and a busy major roadway on the other. Very noisy. It's like saying that you're a Kennedy Airport when you're in the long term extended parking lot and need a bus to get to the terminal.

Team sites were rearranged that morning without notifing the teams. Not a major problem but it should have been communicated ASAP.

I know some people are pissed that Dean said that he had 100 teams signed up and it was only 39. I don't hold that againist him because I'm sure he was just trying to hype the event. He also made some wild attendence claims, again, he was promoting and I don't hold that againist him either. He said that there'd be about 30,000 people and I'd be surprised if he got 5,000.

The entrance fee was $300. If you wanted to enter the grill contest, it was another $50. I would have included that in the entry fee.

When the entrance forms were first posted prizes for the grilling contest included "cash and prizes." By the time the event was held, it was prizes only no money.

The grilling contest was supposed to be using PureFire coconut charcoal only. It's a lousy product that grill kings has been pushing for years and anyone who's been at a Grill King''s event and tried it know this. So many teams didn't use it. That rightfully so pissed off many contestants.

I've tried it a couple of times and it doesn't burn well. That and the additonal fee contributed to our decision to stay out of the grilling contest.

Nassau County health inspectors were there and demanding a seperate hand washing station. I saw on the National BBQ news that one team was made aware of this before the event, but it's not in the cooks pack and caused us to scramble to come up with an alternative to please the inspector.

There was some confusion on meat inspection. My friend's team was told that even after inspection on Saturday, he was not allowed to cook any meat for Sunday turn in until it was inspected on Sunday morning. It took about an hour to work that out.

Water was held in one large tank and not turned on until about 10am on Saturday and it ran out by 4:30. It was not refilled until about 10:00 Sunday. Dean, was on site and hiding in his trailer while this happened. He could have soothed alot of feathers if he was out there apologizing and explaining the situation. Instead he hid and didn't answer his phone.

Dean's always had problems providing water to the contestants. Last year the water supply was wash basins in the public restrooms. If you didn't have a small pot to transfer water to buckets, you were screwed.

This year power wasn't turned on until about 10:00 on Saturday.The first turn in for the grilling contest was noon! The power was turned off exactly at 6:00pm on Sunday. We were still breaking down at that point, because we were told we won't be able to go.

As for break down, Dean didn't want anyone leaving before 6. Security guards were posted at all gates and cars placed in the exits. Some people were forcibly held in. I had a discussion with the guards and was told to talk to Dean who was nowhere to be found.

They also claimed that there would be no cars allowed in the event area whle the event took place. This was enforced very selectively.

There was a $5 entree fee per person to attend the event. Apparently there were also guest passes available, if you knew about them. A freind of mine's family paid $25 on day one to attend and $20 the next. I hope they fight for a refund.

The judges were in an open tent and nothing was done to keep people away. I saw people from outside the tent talking to judges. I don't think anything suspect happened, but it should have been more secluded.

Turn in boxes weren't provided to the teams until about 10:30 -11:00 on Sunday morning.

The cook's meeting wasn't announced and I didn't know it even happened until Sunday.

Awards were announced at 4:30 when the band told everyone to come up. They kept playing until 5:30 when without any announcement I could hear, Sal - Dean's partner -started presenting the awards for Brisket. I missed the beginning, but the did call out to 5 with Brisket walking first and ending with Chicken. No big deal, except I would have liked to have heard the first winners announced.

The guards were snotty throughout. The vendors were charging incredibly high prices - $349 for a Weber Smokey Mountain and $3 for water. I know you always pay more at events, so I didn't buy anything and this didn't affect me directly, but it helped stoke a bad feeling over the event. I never got the feeling that we were wanted there.

Garbage was picked up sporadically. That is OK in it's self, but I would have liked to had a central place available also to dump garbage. It was 90+ degrees in the straight hot sun and I would have liked to get rid of some of the more fragrant garbage immediately instead of letting it ferment.

I don't know if it was the heat, or all the problems, but this was the least friendly event I've ever been to. The teams just weren't happy and it showed.

Security roamed through about 1:00 in the morning in response of a report of gunshots being fired.

My buddy's team, his first event ever and only competing at my urging didn't get his individual score sheets and was told that he could get them from the KCBS website. KCBS doesn't publish individual scores.

I head about some other things, but if I didn't see it, I'm not going to repeat the rumors. This event was bad enough with what I saw.

This is the fourth event Dean's run. They just seem to be getting worse every year. I know what it's like to run a small contest and I run various events for my parish, so I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to oversights and screw ups, but this one just seemed to be one mistake, mis-communication, bad decision after another. I'm not going back.

On some plus notes, since Dean was expecting so many people and teams, the port-a-potties remained immaculate and were plentiful. He had a couple of great bands. He gave ribbons on 4 and 5 and actually called out the top five overalls.

Sledneck
07-17-2006, 05:08 PM
What the hell is Grill Kings anyway ? Just curious.

What is grill kings? Grill kings is hanging out with brethren, grill kings is hearing 1:30 every couple of minutes, grill kings is eating clams and clam sauce as well a ton of other great food, grills kings is losing all of my money to willie b in texas holdem, grill kings is a water free event like a drought, grill kings is waiting for the awards in an open lot while a band plays for 90 minutes, grill kings is each one of us having our own personal port a potty! grill kings is even with all of stuff that happended the time of my life! Thats what grill kings is!

Jason Perlow
07-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Here's some photo coverage of The BBQ Brethren at Grill Kings:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/07/17/events-grill-kings-belmont-park-racetrack-elmont-ny/

rbsnwngs
07-17-2006, 05:59 PM
What is grill kings? Grill kings is hanging out with brethren, grill kings is hearing 1:30 every couple of minutes, grill kings is eating clams and clam sauce as well a ton of other great food, grills kings is losing all of my money to willie b in texas holdem, grill kings is a water free event like a drought, grill kings is waiting for the awards in an open lot while a band plays for 90 minutes, grill kings is each one of us having our own personal port a potty! grill kings is even with all of stuff that happended the time of my life! Thats what grill kings is!

i'm still waiting for Justins money LOL

backyardchef
07-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Congrats on another great showing out there, Will...

SmokeInDaEye
07-17-2006, 06:29 PM
There's some great pictures from the weekend at the link below, including one of our 60 lb pig (with cracklin', Will) from Saturday. Tasted good and it cost us $0 barbecue bucks!

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/07/17/events-grill-kings-belmont-park-racetrack-elmont-ny/

rbsnwngs
07-17-2006, 06:58 PM
thank you Matt

and them there cracklins were really good

Jason Perlow
07-17-2006, 07:15 PM
BTW if anyone recognizes themselves or their food from my pics, I'll be happy to email you blown up, hi-res copies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/offthebroiler/tags/grillkings/

barfly
07-17-2006, 08:15 PM
BTW if anyone recognizes themselves or their food from my pics, I'll be happy to email you blown up, hi-res copies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/offthebroiler/tags/grillkings/

The blonde and the redhead are my sisters...try to get in real tight if ya don't mind, lol

Sledneck
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
The back of the grill kings t-shirt they were selling has on the back

Will Breakstone
"I SEE SMOKE-N-LIGHTNING"

backyardchef
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Will Breakstone

Laughing my farking a$$ off....

rbsnwngs
07-18-2006, 06:42 AM

Will Breakstone
I did not notice that
all i noticed about the shirts was that when i asked for a couple of 3x that were on the sign at $18 i was told "THEY WERE FOR STAFF ONLY" i laughed and said i would like to buy 3 they said " STAFF ONLY"

Sledneck
07-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Here it is

drumfreak
07-18-2006, 08:38 AM
Hey..... don't forget The Bayside Butthead's as a Brethren team
Pork
1. I Like Smoke N Lightning
2. I Que
3. BBQ Brethren
4. TNT Dynamite BBQ
5. Bad Bones BBQ Crew - (me !!)
6. Holy Cow MoohandeesGhandi
7. Grills Gone Wild:NY, NY
8. Bayside Buttheads
9. Two Fat Polocks BBQ
10. Hot Hogs USA

Brisket
1, Holy Cow MoohandeesGhandi
2. I Que
3. Ma's Que's Crew
4. Pellet Envy
5. Bayside Buttheads
6. Long Island Porkers
7. Two Fat Polocks BBQ
10. BBQ - Brethren[/QUOTE]

timzcardz
07-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Very interesting!

Will, did you agree to the use of your name in this promotional manner? It seems that you, Mr. Dirks, and Dr BBQ should be compensated for the use of your names in this commercial endeavor.

backyardchef
07-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey..... don't forget The Bayside Butthead's as a Brethren team
Pork
8. Bayside Buttheads
9. Two Fat Polocks BBQ
10. Hot Hogs USA

Brisket
5. Bayside Buttheads
6. Long Island Porkers
7. Two Fat Polocks BBQ
10. BBQ - Brethren

Nice job, Darren! Does this mean you'll be cooking at Grillin' on the Bay this year, or still judging?

rbsnwngs
07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Very interesting!

Will, did you agree to the use of your name in this promotional manner? It seems that you, Mr. Dirks, and Dr BBQ should be compensated for the use of your names in this commercial endeavor.
yes Tim we all had to agree on that

djmarko
07-18-2006, 09:44 AM
OK guys let me offer a little different perspective here. I judged both the grilling contest on Saturday and the BBQ contest on Sunday. I was told the judges meeting for the grilling contest would at 12:00. I was there before 12 and sat and waited, and waited. Finally walked away to visit and came back. Still no meeting. Came back again at about 12:45 and lo and behold a meeting had started. Except it was the "Cooks Meeting"!! They were having the cooks meeting at 12:45 for an event that had 1st turn-in at 1:30! Finally had what they called a judges meeting a little after 1:00.

On a positive note I was glad to have the opportunity as a judge to see what goes on as far as cooking. After judging the grilling contest I spent the rest of the day mingling with the Brethren teams. I'd like to thank Will for allowing me to spend most of the day with him and his team. It was quite an experience. I was well fed and well hydrated. Also thanks to Phil for his great food. The ribeye was outstanding.

Sundays judging was much better. The meeting was on time and the whole process was better. The difference between the 2 was that on Sunday the KCBS reps were running it. I was told Saturdays contest was run by the organizer. The delay in giving out the awards was terrible. Considering the weather it was inconsiderate of them to delay for so long. I had asked Murray what time the awards ceremony would be and was told it was up to Dean. When I asked Dean he said 4:30. It was about 5:15 when I noticed Dean and his crew over by his RV putting the trophys together. I can't believe that wasn't done earlier.

All in all tho it was a positive experience for me. I got to judge and also spend time with the cooks. It was great to see the great showing of the Brethren teams. Congratulations to all.

parrothead
07-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Sounds like some probs all over. I'll bet that some of the stress of the problems was amplified by the heat and they may not have seemed as bad if the weather was beautiful. Except for the water thing.

Sledneck
07-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Bunch of overheated whining beatches if you ask me:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Al Dente
07-18-2006, 10:59 AM
The heat wasn't a factor for me until we were standing out there for almost 90 minutes waiting for the winners to be announced. The middle of July, in a parking lot, you'd expect it to be hot. It was just too many issues to be ignored. I tried to be as reasonable as I could, but after 4 years, I'd like to think that there would be some sort of organizational skills applied, a Plan B on the side for "just in case", and a communication network to keep everyone in the loop. To me, it was unacceptable behavior.

Jason Perlow
07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Thought you guys would like to see this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6604255536477062866&hl=en

drumfreak
07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Nice job, Darren! Does this mean you'll be cooking at Grillin' on the Bay this year, or still judging?

I would like to compete this year at Grillin on The Bay. The only reason why I didn't last time around is because I found out about it a little too late. Judging was a lot of fun anyway. And the eats were pretty damn good too!!!

WannaBeBBQueen
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
nice video...thanks :)Thought you guys would like to see this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6604255536477062866&hl=en

drumfreak
07-18-2006, 11:43 AM
All in all, I had a great time despite all of the nonsense that went on at the Grill Kings event. Will I return next year.....probably? I would like to consider doing Guitarbecue instead though just to see the difference in how it is run. I was fortunate enough to learn from last year's crappy water situation and bring 12 gallons of my own. It held me afloat till the water delivery the following day. I got pretty ticked about the health inspector and the hand washing station ordeal. He was a complete A-hole and after nitpicking about not having one (I called Grill Kings days before to find out what a "competition" handwashing station consisted of and Victoria, the girl who originally left me the message about it, had no idea what one was) he started nosing through all of my coolers and started asking me what different tools I was going to use to handle raw meat vs cooked meat. I explained to him that I was gonna glove up to handle raw product and use tools to handle cooked product. He had a hard time buying into it and continued to prod me with more questions.Pretty damn annoying! The funny thing is is that I manage a restaurant and I am Serve Safe certified...my restaurant gets A's in sanitation every year and this dude was wasting my time. Murray showin up late for meat inspection kinda blew a bit too. Nobody notified me of the cooks meeting. I happened to stumble up upon it while washing my hands at the judges tent. What sucked the most was the judging ceremony....pretty weak!! Both my and my teammates family came by to see the results.....all older people....my teammate has a 3yr old son too. 90+ degrees till 6PM puts everyone in a crappy, uncomfortable situation. Anyway....thats my little rant...Just venting to my brothers.
On a positive note.....the Brethren teams that I did get to chat with were all great to spend time with and Phil was very generous with sharing sausages, linguini, and chicken with my crew. Thanks!!!

Sledneck
07-18-2006, 01:33 PM
BBQBULL posted this in another thread
http://www.kcbs.us/downloads/contestant_critique_form.pdf

Sledneck
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
One of my personal moments was the chicken turn in. I was a little anxious and started to run with box to the judges tent ten minutes early and having Willie B yelling "Sledneck where the hell are you going" And thank you to Al for guiding me to the proper turn in for the next 3

Al Dente
07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
1:30!!!!!!

Sawdustguy
07-18-2006, 11:18 PM
One of my personal moments was the chicken turn in. I was a little anxious and started to run with box to the judges tent ten minutes early and having Willie B yelling "Sledneck where the hell are you going" And thank you to Al for guiding me to the proper turn in for the next 3

Steve,

I enjoyed cooking next to you during the contest. I would have to say one of the funniest things for me was the expression on your face when the wind picked up your canopy and turned it over almost right in place. Michele and I almost peed ourselves.

MilitantSquatter
07-18-2006, 11:36 PM
I'd still like to know where we placed in the grilling event... For he $50 entry fee it would have been nice to know where you came in just like the sanctioned event.

No results posted on the Grill Kings site yet. I had 20 co workers ask me how I did as some showed up on Sat and all I can say is that I did not win and I don't know any more as of yet. they thought that was the dumbest thing they ever heard for a contest to not advise where you finished.

parrothead
07-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Last year when we were there, I emailed Dean and he sent me back my result for the sauce category. Something about it being just for fun and not giving out the whole thing. He did respond to my e-mail though.

SmokeInDaEye
07-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I had 20 co workers ask me how I did as some showed up on Sat and all I can say is that I did not win and I don't know any more as of yet. they thought that was the dumbest thing they ever heard for a contest to not advise where you finished.

We've been dealing with the same thing for four days and I'm tired of the question. We felt we did pretty well for our first competition but have no real clue until they tell us something. Another reason we're definitely doing sanctioned events going forward!

- Clint

BBQchef33
07-19-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm trying to get the results to post here or get them posted on their site as we speak. Stay tuned.

gman
07-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Although I was only there for Sunday's competition, a good time was had. Working with Willy B. and his crew was an experience.

Unfortunately there was that B.S. at the end. Not allowing people to leave?!? Announcing award ceremony for 4:30 and not starting until 5:30?!? I wasn't there to listen to some local band (especially without a covered area for sitting/waiting). Also, at one point on during the day, I walked over to the GK tent where they were selling t-shirts and hats. As I was walking away, the guy in the tent asked me if I was going to buy something. I suggested that some sort of a "package" should be put together and distributed to each competitor. His only response was to ask me what I was talking about and that he guessed that GKs is is doing this to make money.

How can GK be so interested in the petty BS but not supply water when the heat index was at (or over) 100 degrees. Isn't that a health hazard also?!?.... If not dangerous!

Vinny - Congrats... Good showing for a first time.

I think the Grill King's Brethren showing deserves a celebration at Hooters. How about it boys??

By the way, WHAT TIME IS IT?

racer_81
07-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Uh, 1:30PM?

BBQchef33
07-19-2006, 02:11 PM
results are up here.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19227

SmokeInDaEye
07-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Hmmm. 13th overall and 10th in chops. I feel pretty good about that as a first try. Plus thanks to Phil's generous and honest crit of some of my sauces, I know we can push up that score next time. All in all a great time and can't wait to get out again!

- clint

backyardchef
07-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Good job, Clint! And way to be positive about being critiqued-- not everyone can do that......

BBQchef33
07-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Is that the sauce that taste like beef??

SmokeInDaEye
07-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Exactly. That was the sauce I turned in, but I've already made some modifications on it based on your suggestions, plus have a few others (including the other 2 you tasted) in the mind lab...Sauce is my obsession this month.

- Clint