PDA

View Full Version : Comps with Pro & Backyard

Pappy Q
06-09-2014, 09:16 PM
At comps that have Pros & Backyard divisions, is it common that they both turn in same categories at same time? Is it also common that same judges judge Pros & Backyards?

fnbish
06-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Yes both are common. I'm pretty sure they do different turn in times when there aren't enough reps as there has to be "x" number of reps given a certain number of total teams. I think judges doing both isn't as common, but probably just depends on how many judges apply.

Scottie
06-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Our contrast up here, the amateurs only cook ribs and they turn them in at 3:00. Some judges judge north contests, just not at the same time.. Turning in the same meats for both contests sounds messed up.: Not sure if I really like that.

RX2006JE
06-09-2014, 09:54 PM
Fba does all same meats and all same times

The Pig's Blanket
06-09-2014, 10:13 PM
It was only my first competition but i liked it that the judges didnt know what they were judging. I feel like I got a good idea of some things they did and some they didnt like.

For a first timer it was helpful

JeffR
06-09-2014, 11:15 PM
Those here in MN have different turn in times and categories vary.

SaucyWench
06-10-2014, 10:14 PM
In 13 years of judging, this was the first I've ever seen done this way. Same turn-in times, same meats, same rules, and being judged by CBJs isn't unusual, but backyard was always judged by specific "backyard" tables. I don't know whose idea this method was, but I'm not sure I like it, and I hope it doesn't catch on.

Wampus
06-11-2014, 10:38 AM
In 13 years of judging, this was the first I've ever seen done this way. Same turn-in times, same meats, same rules, and being judged by CBJs isn't unusual, but backyard was always judged by specific "backyard" tables. I don't know whose idea this method was, but I'm not sure I like it, and I hope it doesn't catch on.

I know it sure threw me when I walked boxes up.
They had 1 turn in table there with 2 trays on it and for chicken everyone just descended at the same time and filled up the trays as they got to the table.

For rib turn in, they had a sign in front of each tray: one marked "PRO" and one marked "BACKYARD". They were asking each team if they were pro or backyard as we got to the table. I remember thinking, "OH CRAP....I don't remember those signs during chicken turn in. Did I put our box on the wrong table????

And it was that way for all 4 meats. I don't usually see a backyard contest that has all 4 meats either.

It was kinda odd all around I thought.

Podge
06-11-2014, 02:32 PM
I know it sure threw me when I walked boxes up.
They had 1 turn in table there with 2 trays on it and for chicken everyone just descended at the same time and filled up the trays as they got to the table.

For rib turn in, they had a sign in front of each tray: one marked "PRO" and one marked "BACKYARD". They were asking each team if they were pro or backyard as we got to the table. I remember thinking, "OH CRAP....I don't remember those signs during chicken turn in. Did I put our box on the wrong table????

And it was that way for all 4 meats. I don't usually see a backyard contest that has all 4 meats either.

It was kinda odd all around I thought.

I won't be there next year unless something drastically changes. I'm not the only one who feels that way..

GT-Q
06-11-2014, 03:18 PM
We've done one backyard contest with all four meats and really enjoyed it. We would like to see more of them add the brisket. Or maybe we should just go pro.

Derussi
06-11-2014, 09:49 PM
I did this contest last year and didn't go back for this year. It was the most disorganized contest I have ever been to. Boxes coming to judges tables that had already started to judge, reps yelling. What a turn-off.

The Pig's Blanket
06-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Ok I'm a complete rookie so I gotta ask... What is the disadvantage to a pro cooker to have his good judged along side a backyard cooker? I know If a pro's food was compared to mine it would only make theirs look that much better :shock: lol but serious what is the disadvantage?

Lake Dogs
06-13-2014, 08:33 PM
disadvantage, less money if he wins.

Untraceable
06-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Ok I'm a complete rookie so I gotta ask... What is the disadvantage to a pro cooker to have his good judged along side a backyard cooker? I know If a pro's food was compared to mine it would only make theirs look that much better :shock: lol but serious what is the disadvantage?

Each sample is "supposed" to be judged on its own, but there is always the chance that judges base their score comparatively to the other boxes and thats assuming the backyard boxes are not as good as the average pro box.