PDA

View Full Version : History Of Competition BBQ

BBQking1234
06-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Hello,
I am writing a business plan for a catering business that I would like to start. The is a competition style BBQ catering service. I have been ask to write a section in the plan about the history of BBQ and how that leads into competition BBQ. Are there any Pitmasters out there that can help me out so I could get started? :cool:

Porcine Perfection
06-08-2014, 11:48 PM
1. Man killed an animal.
2. Man discovered fire.

:grin: :grin:

Seriously, contact the American Royal. The BBQ hall of fame is there and I am sure they can give you more than enough information for your needs.

Pigs on Fire
06-09-2014, 08:34 AM
I'm gonna give you some advice. It's gonna sound harsh, you and some others might not like it, but you can take it for what it's worth-

1. Stop. You shouldn't be borrowing any amount of money that requires a business plan to "start" a catering business.

You'd be a whole lot farther ahead doing the catering as a side job, investing every single dime of profit back into "the business" by buying durable goods (Cambros, pans, small equipment, supplies, fancier serving items, etc.

2. You really need to "start" a catering business from the ground up, with cash or VERY little borrowed money. You need to market your service. Spend a little money on food, prepare it, take it to people and give it to them. Hand them 10-20 business cards. Or have other printed materials (cups, plates, etc) with your name/number on them.

3. I don't know there's a whole lot of profit in "Competition" Style BBQ for catering/restaurant service. You are probably talking about applying some preparations to the meats...this can certainly be accomplished and be profitable, IF your product is good and you hit upon a few groups of people that aren't scared to pay a dollar more for decent food.

I say "IF" because it appears many people *think* they can cook and serve 'good' food...well, that is a lie. There are a good many that can, but they can't put the whole package together. That means supplying proper utensils, serving dishes, beverages, etc.

Good luck.

Lake Dogs
06-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Our resident historian is Boshizzle. Hit him up.