PDA

View Full Version : Running Water

georgessmokepit
06-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Alright guys, looking for a bit of advice. I'm finishing up my competition trailer and am looking for the most efficient and inexpensive way to set up a sink with hot running water. Any ideas? I've looked into constructing it myself and also buying a kit from concessionsink.com (seems to be cheaper), but I was curious if anyone on here had any better recommendations?

Thanks,

Eric George

K-Train
06-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Where did you get your trailer?

georgessmokepit
06-06-2014, 09:27 AM
I have a 20 foot utility trailer that I am building on. I took a 300 gallon air compressor and turned it into an offset. I'm also planning to construct a frame and enclose it to the best of my ability, and am looking to add other features such as a sink with hot water.

musicmanryann
06-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Aside from getting an electric water heater, pump and fresh water tank, Coleman and other camping companies make good on demand water heaters. Put the water inlet in a 5 gallon bucket and hot water comes out the other end. They are a bit pricey, and the Coleman version tends to break faster than it should.

blackstrapbbq
06-06-2014, 09:49 AM
I built this for about $300. Ecotemp L5 propane water heater, a Home Depot cabinet sink and some fittings. Used it for the first time in a comp last weekend and it worked great. Having hot running water was a real luxury!

georgessmokepit
06-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Impressive. Looks very nice. Where did you buy the water heater from?

blackstrapbbq
06-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Impressive. Looks very nice. Where did you buy the water heater from?

Amazon

toymaster
06-06-2014, 07:56 PM
blackstrapbbq - That is Sweeeeeeet! Wish I had the room for that. I'm sure that must make life much easier at a comp :grin:

CivilWarBBQ
06-08-2014, 06:28 PM
One word of caution on the portable propane instant water heaters - they have a limited lifespan compared to what you are used to in a residential water heater. I have personally seen three that failed, one dramatically with a burst of fire at a comp.

You can extend their life by carefully draining the heater COMPLETELY after use, especially in cold weather. The small diameter copper tubing used inside *will* rupture if water is left in the unit and it freezes, and repair is typically not feasible. (That's what killed my last one) I don't have any way to prove this up, but I'm estimating the average life span of these little heaters is about five years.

However, that said they provide unlimited volumes of scalding hot water and are highly portable. With the typical price of around $150, I guess they are aren't a bad deal even if you have to replace it every couple years.

georgessmokepit
06-09-2014, 07:38 AM
good to know! thanks for the info! I'll definitely give this some attention. Good to know that they put out some hot water as well.

chickenchoker
06-09-2014, 08:38 AM
we use a slop (utility) sink from home depot and mounted a propane Hot on demand onto a hand truck. We have both the faucet and an extendable head that runs hot..... best thing we ever did. $100 for heater, I had the slop sink (maybe $40) and plumbing costs. We hook it up to the garden hoses at comps and the rest are quick connects

cpw
06-09-2014, 08:39 AM
We use one of those cheap laundry room sinks hooked up to one of the portable propane heaters like those above. The grey water gets dumped into a big 5 gallon tub (not bucket), and everything breaks down and fits into the sink.

We're in the process of plumbing our trailer with a sink, and plan using the same water with outside hookups. Let me know if you want more detail on that.

CivilWarBBQ
06-09-2014, 10:22 AM
We use one of those cheap laundry room sinks hooked up to one of the portable propane heaters like those above. The grey water gets dumped into a big 5 gallon tub (not bucket), and everything breaks down and fits into the sink.

We're in the process of plumbing our trailer with a sink, and plan using the same water with outside hookups. Let me know if you want more detail on that.

Just don't mount the heater inside the trailer! The gas burner produces carbon monoxide that can be deadly in a small enclosed space like a cargo trailer.

cpw
06-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Just don't mount the heater inside the trailer! The gas burner produces carbon monoxide that can be deadly in a small enclosed space like a cargo trailer.

Don't worry! We're gonna run spigots to the outside of the trailer that we'll hook up the water heater to. The plan (eventually) is to get an RV propane water heater, and then use the outside spigots for washing big stuff off outside.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
You might as well go ahead and do that. You can buy a suburban 6 gal water heater pilot only for 275 on line only and flush mount on trailer. another 100 will get all the lines needed and a flaring tool. Just did mine for less than $400

georgessmokepit
06-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Great information guys. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely consider all of this. And yes, CPW, if you could please message me with more info! Thanks!