PDA

View Full Version : BBQ contest organizer

Pigs on The Run
07-08-2006, 06:09 AM
My home town parks and rec directer is interested in having a BBQ contest. I know there is some step to step instruction to do it. I need a thje money strtucture. I know you need money from sponsors for prize money. But what is done with the entry fees. How do ya encourage locaal teams to start up?
Thanks
John

Sawdustguy
07-08-2006, 08:01 AM
The biggest thing that I would say attracts teams is a good prize offering. If you have been reading the forum lately there were a few contests that offered a grand prize of only a few hundred dollars. These contests usually don't attract many teams. Don't forget this is professional BBQ where teams lay out big dollars to buy equipment to compete. You need to make it worth their while to show up and cook. I would say a grand prize of say $4000 to $5000 dollars would go a long way to help get entrants.

Jeff_in_KC
07-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Maybe not all you're looking for but some great info on starting up a contest here: http://www.kcbs.us/sanctioning.jsp

Also always plan with the cooks in mind: great location with good facilities always help. Take care of teams... free donuts in the AM, free or cheap ice, deliver water if not at the sites, always ask what they need, etc. It will help grow your contest along with the good payouts that Guy mentioned.

beerguy
07-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Jeff can you check that link? It didnt work for me. Your homepage worked though, and looks great.

ThomEmery
07-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Beerguy These can be done for less than $5000 Thats the best way But sometimes we dont have that to spend I am putting together a few contests
with only $500 each. Consider sanctioning through www.ibcabbq.org/
it would save dollars.As the guys said the site is really key. It needs to be
great for the teams If you are not going to have high prize money.

Jeff_in_KC
07-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Jeff can you check that link? It didnt work for me. Your homepage worked though, and looks great.

check it again... sometimes the KCBS Web site is on the fritz, maybe 2-3 times a week I find it down. I just clicked on it and it works this evening...

BrooklynQ
07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
There's a great book out there about putting together a MIM event called The Grill of Victory. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157860267X/sr=8-1/qid=1152544728/ref=sr_1_1/104-1814581-6333506?ie=UTF8) It talks about one town in VA's efforts to put together a first time event.

We were talking at the Bash about what attracts a team to the event - is it the money or the throphies. Overwhelming answer was the trophies. Money's nice, but the recognition is what counts. In that book, there's a whole chapter on this. They made trophies out of violins - fiddles and that attracted a couple of big names because they were looking for the unique trophies.

Also, try to schedule your event so that you're in between two near-by events. If there's a contest with big boys are 200 miles north on the preceeding weekend and another event 200 miles south on the following weekend, you may get some folks to join in just because it's on the way.

As for the prize money, KCBS requires the prize money to be bonded up front so that there is a guarnetee that the advertised money is actually paid out.

Good luck!