PDA

View Full Version : Pig Party

jeffreywp1
05-27-2014, 06:45 AM
I may have a big party to cook for and will either smoke 10-15 butts or a whole hog. My pit is big enough for that many butts, but how do I get them all done at the same time? Would wrapping at the stall help equalize the cook? It doesn't seem logical to pull the ones off that are done and keep opening the door to check. How much leeway is there for going above IT of 205 in order to get them all up to a good IT. I stated 10-15 butts using a 8# average. Would it be better to go with bigger butts?

va_connoisseur
05-27-2014, 07:23 AM
Are the butts the only meat? Why the wide variance (10-15)? How long is the event?

I don't wrap my butts

jeffreywp1
05-27-2014, 01:49 PM
Are the butts the only meat? Why the wide variance (10-15)? How long is the event?

I don't wrap my butts

I'm note sure how many people will be there. I'm thinking 200 plus people at 1/3# each. Factoring shrinking, I was starting with 80# of meat also assuming it will be the only meat.

mchar69
05-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Speaking only from reading, I would pull those that are ready,
and put them in a Cambro. Wrap them in foil, then old towels, and put them in a hot cooler)
re- distribute on the grill, and then pull as done, if the bone wiggles out, wrap and put them in the cambro (cooler.)

HBMTN
05-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Pull them when done wrap them in foil and place them in a cooler. It is just fine to pull a few at a time as they get done. You can hot hold them in a cooler for many hours just keep the temp of cooler above 135 degrees. Open coolers quick to place butts in when they are done.