PDA

View Full Version : CVap question

EvieMae's
05-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Brethren,

I have been lerking here for a while.

I just purchased a Winston CVap CB21. It was manufactured in 1988. I have steam cleaned it and tested it. It seems to work great, my hope is that I can hold briskets and butts from 10pm to 11a-6p. So a total hold time from 13-20 total hours. Does anyone do this with a CVap? I am very nervous about doing it as I cant afford to ruin a whole days worth of product.

It does not have texture control, simply 2 analog dials. One CVap temp, and one Air temp. I am thinking for such a long hold, I will run air temp at 150 and CVap at 140. The door will not be open any for the first 12 hours, should I adjust CVap for this?

I am hopeful that someone is able to give me some insite in regards to these questions. Thank you in advance.

bizznessman
05-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost?

EvieMae's
05-13-2014, 07:29 AM
I paid 400 for it. In a crunch, it was the only local, used unit I could find.

bizznessman
05-13-2014, 08:14 AM
I paid 400 for it. In a crunch, it was the only local, used unit I could find.

That's a very good price. Keep us informed on how it works out.

Chris Cook
05-13-2014, 08:34 AM
I've got a used CVAP, too, that I'm just starting to use. I can't answer the question about holding meat that long since I haven't tried that yet.
I'm not familiar with your particular model, but my understanding is that the air temperature is the texture control. What you refer to as the CVAP temp will be the temperature of the water vapor, which is the temperature that the meat will be held at. If you crank up the air/texture temperature I think you run the risk of overcooking the meat.
That's just my (limited) understanding at the moment. Maybe someone with more CVAP experience can chime in and offer more advise.

early mornin' smokin'
05-13-2014, 10:11 AM
why not smoke the meat overnight, ready around 8am, then load up the cvap. We run a dual level alto shaam. We keep the vents shut to keep the humidity high, and run it around 165.

EvieMae's
05-13-2014, 10:23 AM
I cook on a 300 gallon reverse flow and was hoping the cvap would eliminate my 2:00 start time. If i could cook the day before, then load it up that night, i would cook ribs and chicken during the day. We currently are only open one day per week.

Hank Daddy's Barbecue
05-13-2014, 12:33 PM
We use CVAP exclusively. You will have no issue holding for that long if you do the following.

1) Put 6 butts into a full size 6 inch deep hotel pan. Wrap the pan in saran, then cover with foil
In the units we use, the cabinet temp is the sum of both dial settings, so if you set dials as per original post your internal temp of the cabinet will actually be 290 which is way too high. I'm not familiar with your unit, but do call Winston as they are helpful.

We set our dials at 150 and 10.

Hope this helps, but any doubts call Winston directly.

early mornin' smokin'
05-13-2014, 12:37 PM
if you're wrapping in saran and foil, wouldn't the cabinet temperature really be the only thing that mattered?

Hank Daddy's Barbecue
05-13-2014, 01:27 PM
if you're wrapping in saran and foil, wouldn't the cabinet temperature really be the only thing that mattered?

for sure it does. Adding the vapour wont hurt it so we keep it really low.

Hank Daddy's Barbecue
05-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Also do keep in mind, you will lose some quality. If you can do a test run in advance, I highly recommend doing so. Don't "practice" in front of paying customers.

EvieMae's
05-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Thank you for the information. My unit is so old that the vapor temp is just another dial starting at 0 and going to 180. If I set CVap to 140 and Air to 150, it is like running at a +10.

2:00 may just be the way it is until I can afford an oiler. Atleast the CVap will allow for more prepped meat to be kept (pulled and chopped) which will speed up the serving process. We served 150 lbs last Thursday out of our trailer.

gtr
05-13-2014, 05:16 PM
I may be in Tucson in October. Y'all only open on Thursdays? Where y'all at?

EvieMae's
05-13-2014, 09:38 PM

Who knows what will be going on in October. We have only been vending 3 weeks, at this point, people cant seem to get enough. We hope that the growing trend continues. Keep in touch and let me know for sure when you head this way. If the market demands that we serve more than one day per week, we may have to give in.

bizznessman
05-13-2014, 11:10 PM

Hey gtr,

I think this is the place. If not I will stand corrected. Google Maps shows that addie as a residence. They may be just catering/delivery.

LINK (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evie-Maes-Barbecue/756455034373755)

EvieMae's
05-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Hey gtr,

I think this is the place. If not I will stand corrected. Google Maps shows that addie as a residence. They may be just catering/delivery.

LINK (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evie-Maes-Barbecue/756455034373755)

That's us. I am doing a cook tomorrow for Friday lunch vending, I will let yall know how the oven works and what kind of quality loss I have at 10-12 hrs. I will be cooking Friday's supper briskets and butts through the night like I have been.