PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Houston, where to find good Q

Big Ace
05-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Well, I'm not headed there, a buddy of mine is. Any recommendations for some good authentic Texas BBQ?
He will be staying near the Convention Center and will also be frequenting the Galleria, so looking for anything near those 2 sites or in between.

Thanks

Pitmaster T
05-09-2014, 06:54 PM
No. You asked for Authentic BBQ.

Anyone who comes in here and says otherwise doesn;t know what they are talking about. If I don't know about it... it ain't authentic and frankly I don't want some gator judging Authentic Texas Style BBQ based on something else some yahoo on here will say.

H town is not known for its BBQ within the city limits.

You don't "do bbq" that way.

North at ext 114 in Huntsville is New Zion Missionary.... go early.

South in Pearland is Killens BBQ.... you might need to stand in line a bit. REMEMBER YOU SAID AUTHENTIC.

If you lower your standards to pedestrian Texas BBQ joints nearly any one of the bbq places any of the brethren will come in here and suggest will do. Frankly... not being from Texas you don't know any better---so why not get the BBQ at Lockarts in Houston.

Otherwise... say you went to Papa's or Rudys or some other crap place and tell everyone you ate at Sonic.

TropicDad
05-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Demeris isn't bad bbq, I ate there many times and would still go back. Get a chopped baker, a large baked potato loaded with everything plus chopped brisket on top.
http://www.demeris.com/AboutUs.php

There are some fantastic places in Houston that are little known, in the hood, near downtown. Lines out the door. Sam's on Veterans Memorial was old school great 'Q but recently closed. I lived there 38 years, its around gotta know where to go.

sliding_billy
05-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Killen's and Gatlin's are the two best in Houston IMO.

Brew n Que
05-10-2014, 07:34 AM
I'd have to recommend Brooks Place as one of the best up there with Gatlins and Killens. It's in far NW Houston, in a little food trailer in an Ace Hardware parking lot. It's seriously good stuff. It's not really where you will be, but it is well worth the trip.

DUBBAGA
05-10-2014, 08:15 AM
As I have never had authentic Texas BBQ in Texas, I will not begin to make any recommendations. What I will say, however, is that a fellow Brethren owns Pappa Charlies BBQ which operates a food truck in the Houston area. Although "T" has referred to it as some crap place, your friend might still want to give a Brethren business a chance.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166246&highlight=trailer

peeps
05-10-2014, 04:51 PM
As I have never had authentic Texas BBQ in Texas, I will not begin to make any recommendations. What I will say, however, is that a fellow Brethren owns Pappa Charlies BBQ which operates a food truck in the Houston area. Although "T" has referred to it as some crap place, your friend might still want to give a Brethren business a chance.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166246&highlight=trailerI think he was referring to Pappa's Brothers BBQ chain or whatever it is called since he was referring to Rudy's in the same breath which is also a chain...the same guys that run Pappasito's and Pappadeaux's.

DUBBAGA
05-10-2014, 06:39 PM
I think he was referring to Pappa's Brothers BBQ chain or whatever it is called since he was referring to Rudy's in the same breath which is also a chain...the same guys that run Pappasito's and Pappadeaux's.

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense

Pitmaster T
05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Yes.

RangerJ
05-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Not sure when your buddy will be here but...

I'll be at Jackson's Watering Hole this Thursday evening for a private event but I'm bringing some extra to vend.

Should be at Lucky's in the Heights again on Saturday.

of note - The big trailer is in the shop, the bureaucrats have finally beat me down and I'm dropping some more dollars so I can get the "coveted" City of Houston medallion. The population density is within the city limits and the trailer game is a volume business so, I ran rogue for a year but its time to conform.

At both locations I'll have an EZ Up and my small offset.

Corkscrew, Killeen's, Gatlins, are all working hard to try and change the image of Que in our home town. Which as has been mentioned, is not what I recommend folks to eat when they come to visit. Tex Mex, Cajun, yep.. Que, well prior to the last 18 months not so much.

frognot
05-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Here's a nice article about Killen's

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/2014/05/killens-bbq-in-pearland-is-going-to.html