PDA

View Full Version : Best BBQ in Longview, TX?

USMC
05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
We are making a seven hour road trip to Longview today for a college graduation. We'll be staying the night and I plan on talking the wife's family into getting together for dinner tonight. Anybody have any must have BBQ recommendations?

Bludawg
05-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Bodacious Barbecue is aint bad for Restaurant Q my first choice is Carters.

retired trucker
05-02-2014, 03:30 PM
It has been a long time since I was in Longview (I graduated from high school there) but if I remember correctly, there was a local place called "Neeleys" that had great bar-b-q. Just remember than you are in Bar-B-Que land, and just about any place you go will be good. Ask a local for recommendations. Look for a stack of wood and a real pit wherever you go. Enjoy your stay!

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

retired trucker
05-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I will second "Bodacious", could not remember the names of the local joints there, as I have slept since I was there last.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

Toast
05-02-2014, 03:52 PM
I just called a buddy in Longview. He too said Bodacious. He said there are 3 or 4 of them there. We have one in this area and it is very good.

USMC
05-03-2014, 01:30 AM
The locals we have asked also said Bodacious so we are going to try it for lunch tomorrow. My wife's aunt set us up to go eat seafood at a place called Johnny Case's. Most expensive and possibly worst seafood I have ever had. This place would have been perfect for an episode of Restaurant Impossible or Nightmare Kitchen. They recently celebrated being open for 65 years. I don't know how! Bland mushy seafood that must have been targeted to the mostly dentured elderly patrons that looked to be regulars there.

I'll let ya'll know about my Bodacious BBQ experience tomorrow.

sliding_billy
05-03-2014, 01:47 AM
Not too far from Longview (depending on which way you are going to get there) is Stanley's in Tyler. It is an awesome joint. FYI - the Red Dirt BBQ and Music Festival will be in Tyler on Saturday (I will be there), so it might be a little different experience at Stanley's since they will also be at the festival.

USMC
05-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Bodacious was pretty good for restaurant BBQ! Tried the brisket, ribs, sausage, and turkey. I've had better brisket flavor wise, but the tenderness was almost there, but not quite. I guess my expectations were kinda high for all the talk about Texas brisket. Still good brisket though. Only complaint was my wife got a little aggravated that they were out of mac n' cheese. Minor deal to me, but the mac 'n cheese is as important to her as the BBQ is to me. So really, her complaint, not mine. Oh and their sauce tasted just like watered down, doctored up Heinz 57, which I actually liked and I am going to try to recreate! Thanks for the recommendations! :thumb: The rest of the family enjoyed it too!